• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Switch owners feeling a tad miffed?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Funny, I was just thinking today how much I've been playing my Switch lately. Spent the best part of 50 hours with Hollow Knight, really enjoying Lumines, just finished up Shovel Knight and Bayonetta 2 finally and I'm working on finally completing Mario Rabbids. It's not like there's millions of games on it but the stuff there is I've been enjoying. It really is the perfect platform for indies and small scale experiences too. I think it's the perfect second console.

Gaf is really bad with Switch stuff.

So many people thought it would bomb but it's a massive success and had the best launch year ever with a ton of great games

This year has not been the best but next year looks amazing again and sales during the holiday will be big news

Vawn

Banned
Gaf is really bad with Switch stuff.

So many people thought it would bomb but it's a massive success and had the best launch year ever with a ton of great games

This year has not been the best but next year looks amazing again and sales during the holiday will be big news

Next year? What 2019 games have been announced outside of Pokemon?

Pejo

Gold Member
2018 is really pretty bad, but my hype levels are off the chart for Octopath Traveler. It's crazy what a single game can do as far as making you resonate with a console.

Nintendo is going to Nintendo though, you can't really place rhyme or reason with them. I just hope 2019 will be a big year for games (and a new more powerful hardware revision - don't kill me GAF).

Mario Tennis, Hollow Knight, Fotnite (Switch) and Octopath are actually the biggest releases in the industry within this season

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Mario Tennis, Hollow Knight, Fotnite (Switch) and Octopath are actually the biggest releases in the industry within this season

That's a stretch.

Hollow Knight is a fantastic game, but it's a low-budget indie and a port of a year-old game.

Fortnite is a port that is already on literally everything else including mobile and some high-end toasters.

Mario Tennis hasn't been super relevant in a long time, and reviewers are lukewarm on this edition.

Octopath Traveler is my most anticipated game on 2018, but let's face it, it's a pretty niche game.

That's a stretch.

Hollow Knight is a fantastic game, but it's a low-budget indie and a port of a year-old game.

Fortnite is a port that is already on literally everything else including mobile and some high-end toasters.

Mario Tennis hasn't been super relevant in a long time, and reviewers are lukewarm on this edition.

Octopath Traveler is my most anticipated game on 2018, but let's face it, it's a pretty niche game.

So instead of make excuses for all of them tell me which may, june, july games are bigger than these Switch releases?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
So instead of make excuses for all of them tell me which may, june, july games are bigger than these Switch releases?

There's been a bunch this year for PS4/XB1, but we're limiting it to May and June?

Um, Detroit Become Human, Dark Souls (since we're counting ports and remasters), Conan Exiles, Dragon's Crown Pro, Nier Automata, The Crew 2.

I mean, it's not great for anyone, but its May and June. If you want to compare first half 2018 though...

Last edited:
There's been a bunch this year for PS4/XB1, but we're limiting it to May and June?

Um, Detroit Become Human, Dark Souls (since we're counting ports and remasters), Conan Exiles, Dragon's Crown Pro, Nier Automata, The Crew 2.

I mean, it's not great for anyone, but its May and June. If you want to compare first half 2018 though...
Well yeah,

my point was just that the Switch has had the best software releases since may, so recently it's been the best.

Vawn

Banned
Well yeah,

my point was just that the Switch has had the best software releases since may, so recently it's been the best.

Not trying to unjustly trash it. It has my personal most anticipated 2018 game in Octopath.

I just find myself searching for something to play on it a lot right now. I don't want to settle for lesser games just because the big hitters aren't coming this year.

Not trying to unjustly trash it. It has my personal most anticipated 2018 game in Octopath.

I just find myself searching for something to play on it a lot right now. I don't want to settle for lesser games just because the big hitters aren't coming this year.
Well honestly try games like Hollow Knight. I own a PS4 and loved Gow but to me, even though it's an indie, Hollow Knight is a better game than anything I've played on PS4 this year.

Not miffed here. I bought the Switch so I could play Skyrim on flights and on my big 65" TV, taking the same character wherever I happen to be. I'm satisfied for now.

Killer751

Banned
I was banned from a certain other forum because I was railing on the Switch so hard. Miffed is an understatement. I feel like the Switch is an unprecedented disaster.

Vawn

Banned
Well honestly try games like Hollow Knight. I own a PS4 and loved Gow but to me, even though it's an indie, Hollow Knight is a better game than anything I've played on PS4 this year.

I already have. I loved it. I'll probably rebuy it and go for the platinum when it releases on ps4 for an excuse to replay it.

Kacho

I was banned from a certain other forum because I was railing on the Switch so hard. Miffed is an understatement. I feel like the Switch is an unprecedented disaster.

The Switch fanaticism on a certain forum is definitely a sight to behold lol

MomsNewBoyfriend

Neo Member

Yeah best selling first year in history, off the heels of their worst selling system, total dumpster fire for sure

I don't care about sales, I care about games. Switch has no games.
Switch has some of the highest reviewed first party games ever, the entire indie and f2p scene coming it to make bank. That should be enough for the W.

The NPD Group's Mat Pistacella posted an update on the NPD Blog today. Some quick takeaways:

• Switch is projected to be the highest selling console of the year (attributed to a strong final quarter thanks to Pokemon and Smash)
  • All three consoles will sell over 4 million units in US this year
  • Cumulatively, the consoles will sell 17.5 million units in the US, leading to the highest total in the market since 2012
  • By year’s end, installed base of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will exceed that of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox by 6 percent and will be ahead of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by at least 30 percent for their respective equivalent time periods
  • In spite of the doom and gloom, physical video game software dollar sales will finish the year with growth of at least 8 percent when compared to a year ago, while digital full-game sales will continue to grow at double digit percentage rates.
  • Fortnite continues to drive growth and revenue
  • PS4 is selling above expectations
  • The Xbox One has shown very strong growth so far this year and is on pace to have the highest time-aligned annual growth rate for console unit sales since the Xbox 360 in 2010.
  • Nintendo Switch has the second highest time-aligned installed base (Wii #1)

Last edited:

Killer751

Banned
I think BOTW and Mario Odyssey merely came out during a time when we had not seen truly major Nintendo releases in over a decade. We hadn't gotten a real 3D Mario collectathon since Sunshine or a really good 3D Zelda since Ocarina. People were starved for true new entries for those franchises and were willing to overlook crippling flaws with both titles, just because Nintendo finally caught up with the times.

But what has come out since Mario? Cardboard? Kirby? ... Pokemon Let's Go? None of that is al that exciting, and I think within the next couple of years the Switch will have the same reputation the Wii had. It will be seen as a joke.

Warframe, Fortnite, Wolfenstein 2, HollowKnight, Doom, Smash, Pokemon Gen 8, Outlast 2, Skyrim, Daemon vs Machima, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem, Dark Souls Remastered, Shin Mag Tenei, Beath Of The Wild, Paladins, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 4, My Friend Pedro

That is one of hell of a lineup and that does not include 95% of it. Switch has some of the best games out or announced

Last edited:

RuhRo

They definitely needed one more big title this year. Something single player, to counterbalance Smash. It's curious that their output isn't picking up after the consolidation of their mobile and console teams.

Super disappointing, nothing to play...like at all. Re-hashes, lazy ports, delayed 1st party, better 3rd party games on my PS4 and X...the only reason to own this thing is if you use it as a portable gaming device. That is its main strength. It's main weakness is the price tag for the system + accessories + games. Everything is way overpriced, I won't even entertain the idea of re-purchasing Wii U games that are "enhanced" or whatever for $80 CAD, a straight rip off and middle finger to Nintendo supporters. The Pro controller, I have 4 of them for Wii U, they are the exact same controller and don't even try to debate it, why the F can't I just use these? Oh, cuz greed and BS reasons. I hate Nintendo right now, and I hate them even more because they are killing my stock portfolio, I'm an idiot for investing in this company

xandaca

Did Doom sell really badly in Europe? Played online for the first time and the European servers were functionally empty both last night and this afternoon. Swapped to the US servers (press X on screen prior to joining a lobby, for anyone in the same predicament) and while it wasn't exactly busy, it wasn't too hard to get a game going. Hopefully the game sold reasonably, even as a late port, as I'd like more FPS' on the console, hopefully a COD eventually.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They definitely needed one more big title this year. Something single player, to counterbalance Smash. It's curious that their output isn't picking up after the consolidation of their mobile and console teams.
Last time I checked Octopath Traveler is single player game.

PocoJoe

Banned
Ps4 = lot of games for every taste
Switch = something or nothing for some tastes, lot of for other

I have 60 physical games for ps4 & 70+ digital if counting ps+ games(that are mostly not for my taste)

For switch i have ~6 games because:
Nintendo asks too much for older games.
Not many interesting games and/or cheap enough.

Why would i pay 50-60€ for year old game when it should cost 20-30€ by now? Or full price for worst version of something like doom when it costs 20€ for ps4.

I bet there are many nice smaller games for switch but more than 5€ = too much, when AAA games can be only 10-15€ for ps4 on sale.

But i still like most games i have
Zelda, xenoblade 2 are both great.
Rabbids were good but too easy

Splatoon 2 is bad, cant care less

Odyssey were one of worst games i have played in years, not for me

Nothing else at the moment for me(few better ones i have on wiiu already) so ~ 3 really good games in 1.5 years for me on switch and maybe 15 on ps4.

PocoJoe

Banned
Did Doom sell really badly in Europe? Played online for the first time and the European servers were functionally empty both last night and this afternoon. Swapped to the US servers (press X on screen prior to joining a lobby, for anyone in the same predicament) and while it wasn't exactly busy, it wasn't too hard to get a game going. Hopefully the game sold reasonably, even as a late port, as I'd like more FPS' on the console, hopefully a COD eventually.

I dont have numbers, but many places on EU are PlayStation land so switch may not have sold as good as in usa/japan. At Finland switch never sold out i think, saw plenty in every store including the launch day. (Ps4 were sold out for few months)

So less consoles = less players.

And doom for switch is still too expensive so many may just buy it or already have it for ps4/xbox.

I could buy it for 20€ but not 50-60€, same with most switch owners I know of.

levyjl1988

Banned
Once Smash releases that will be the only game I would play besides the upcoming Pokemon games. Hopefully the true gen Pokemon titles don’t look like the Let’s Go Pikachu or Let’s Go Eevee.

Splatoon 2 is bad, cant care less

Gasp! Let me refill my Aerospray MG and then say that again!

I have only about 25 hours in Splatoon 2 compared to my 225 in Skyrim, but it's still a fun little diversion when I need something lighthearted. My wife is nuts about Splatoon 2 and even had to go out for an "emergency" purchase of her own Switch in January when I was out of town for a few weeks, just to keep playing.

Last edited:

nordique

Everyone is different, but for me its Been fine so far. Granted, I have 2 games for it

I only have Zelda and Mario, haven’t played through Zelda yet and got about halfway through Mario. I had FIFA but traded it in for Smash pre order. I want more games but I know I won’t have the time to play them

I never understand how people get through so many games with professional jobs, families, etc but please teach me your techniques of stopping time haha

Haven’t touched a home console for a non-sports game in almost 3 years now >.<

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Warframe, Fortnite, Wolfenstein 2, HollowKnight, Doom, Smash, Pokemon Gen 8, Outlast 2, Skyrim, Daemon vs Machima, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem, Dark Souls Remastered, Shin Mag Tenei, Beath Of The Wild, Paladins, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 4, My Friend Pedro

That is one of hell of a lineup and that does not include 95% of it. Switch has some of the best games out or announced

Port, Port, Port, Port, Smash has its fans, not for me, Ditto on Pokemon, Port, Port, Not much faith in Daemon, Bayonetta 3 ok, Fire Emblem meh, Port, Where?, BoTW was good, but basically a Wii U port, Port, Splatoon is barely a sequel, loved Odyssey, XC2 was ok, who knows when we will see Prime 4, Port.

Most of that list isn't "list worthy" to try and prove it's a stellar lineup of games. A PS4 or Xbox One list from the last two years would run circles around that.

TwiztidElf

I've been enjoying my Switch as much as ever.
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (fun as hell), Ys VIII, Lumines, a couple of shmups that were recommended on here, and I'm still chipping away at Picross S.
Easily my most played platform at the moment.
Having said that, I can certainly understand the position of detractors.

Danjin44

Port, Port, Port, Port, Smash has its fans, not for me, Ditto on Pokemon, Port, Port, Not much faith in Daemon, Bayonetta 3 ok, Fire Emblem meh, Port, Where?, BoTW was good, but basically a Wii U port, Port, Splatoon is barely a sequel, loved Odyssey, XC2 was ok, who knows when we will see Prime 4, Port.

Most of that list isn't "list worthy" to try and prove it's a stellar lineup of games. A PS4 or Xbox One list from the last two years would run circles around that.
It seems less about Switch has no games more about it doesn't have the games you yourself care about. If you going with that logic then Xbox also has no games because there not single game on Xbox I care about. This also can be said about people who don't care for Playstation exclusive games.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
As a new Switch owner I just don't want a bunch of ports which I can get cheaper on a better platforms or indies that I would never play. It needs original, compelling games.

Jubenhimer

I think BOTW and Mario Odyssey merely came out during a time when we had not seen truly major Nintendo releases in over a decade. We hadn't gotten a real 3D Mario collectathon since Sunshine or a really good 3D Zelda since Ocarina. People were starved for true new entries for those franchises and were willing to overlook crippling flaws with both titles, just because Nintendo finally caught up with the times.

Galaxy and TP don't count as "major releases"? Regardless of what you think of these games, you don't decide what's a major release.

But what has come out since Mario? Cardboard? Kirby? ... Pokemon Let's Go? None of that is al that exciting, and I think within the next couple of years the Switch will have the same reputation the Wii had. It will be seen as a joke.

Switch 2018 isn't as grandiose as 2017 was, but it's still a decent year. Most people didn't own a Wii U, so the ports have more weight here. And we're getting multiple major releases from third parties each month with more on the way. Games take time to make, so you can't expect AAA games as frequently as you wish. Switch will still be huge this holiday. You underestimate the appeal of Pokemon Let's Go! Smash Ultimate, even Labo I'd argue.

Danjin44

What? Most of those Switch games you love so much are on Xbox and were long before they got Switch ports.
The Switch games I love are Japanese games like Xenoblade, FE, octopath, Bayonetta 2 & upcoming 3 and super hyped for Daemon and SMTV. I don’t think none of these are on Xbox.

Last edited:

Making an excuse for every game on that list? lol Some of the highest rated games and franchises ever. Switch games are the best of the best, and on the go.

Many adults don't have time to play videogames infront of tv because we have real world responsibilities.

Kacho

I’m pretty sure the Doom multi is dead on all platforms.

I see how there could be more quality game releases, but I also don't think Switch is failing to deliver on its promise. I've purchased 15 games on the system, am currently very busy playing Paladins, Fortnite, Doom and Sonic on it, have a ton of other games to get to (Mario Odyssey, Tennis, and endless indies like Banner Saga) and the fact that it can be played in handheld mode has made it my primary system. I love that I can play a multiplayer match for 10 minutes while I get coffee using my phone as a hotspot and have the same exact experience I would at home, docked, while on wifi. I think it definitely delivered. Favorite console.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They're relying heavily on re-releases of WiiU games on the (for the most part correct) assumption that nobody really played those games. As a previous WiiU owner I'm definitely feeling the drought, but if MK8, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad were all brand new games? I'd be fuckin' stoked.

I've also played enough of my Switch within the first 16 months to justify the full purchase price, so I can hardly complain.

I can’t help but think how the Switch doesn’t seem to be delivering on its promise in terms of games, especially after the slim pickings of e3, as you have to wonder what Nintendo’s development teams have been doing for the past three years if all they’ve got to show for it is a fistful of overpriced ports?

While I think the slim E3 pickings comment is moderately fair, I have 21 games for my Switch and I know I'll be buying at least 3 more soon.

It might be a secondary content but it doesn't seem like it's "lacking content".

I honestly think we're going to see a bunch of unannounced stuff at TGS and that people are overreacting a bit.

Top Bottom