• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel that Sony's PS4 is being anti-consumer?

lynux3

This is not correct, well actually it's painting a very vague picture of one aspect of it. You are connecting to Epic's network and being authenticated via Live but you're also being tunneled through Microsoft's network which is why their internal community features have integration directly in the game and still play a part. It's not just authenticating and dropping you off onto Epic's servers and saying have fun, you're still maintaining an active connection to Microsoft. You're being disingenuous, huge surprise coming from you.
You're picking a fight with the wrong person. You have absolutely zero understanding of how any of this works based on your previous comment and now this.

I am correct and your idea of how this all works is absolutely insane and goes against everything regarding best practice. Easily one of the silliest things I've ever read. The idea of thinking that playing Fortnite while needlessly having to proxy through an Xbox Live server to access Epic Game's server in AWS. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not only is this the most absurd way to implement online play, it creates a vast amount of latency having to hop from one "master server" then to another server at AWS and then having to return back through the same path. Ridiculous.

What I said is exactly what is happening. Authenticate into Xbox Live at OS level, start application, application authenticates user, and then thereafter everything is handed off to AWS servers. It has absolutely nothing to do with Xbox Live servers when playing except for initial auth. Parties/invites are handled separately.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Fortnite is still parsed through Microsoft's master server to allow a connection from them to Epic's servers. You're using upstream and downstream bandwidth whether you want to acknowledge it or not and you're a client on their host network. You're able to download the game through Microsoft's host server which again is costing them upstream bandwidth. To add to this you're using all of Microsoft's community integration and services to engage in a network game, all of this costs money to maintain and developer for.

What's happening with Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo right now is not going to last, just like charging for online they'll realize this has costs and it has to be rolled into their networking package.

There are no mental gymnastics, the game may be free but that has no bearing on the host network. The game doesn't cost anything regardless of having to pay for Xbox Live or not, the two are completely separate.
LOL
This is "your TV still outputs in 1080p" level of delusional.
When you must defend the honor of a corporation at all costs you end up in strange roads...

LOL
This is "your TV still outputs in 1080p" level of delusional.
When you must defend the honor of a corporation at all costs you end up in strange roads...
Defending the decision of a corporation because it makes perfect sense? Absolutely, why the hell not? Do you people think that money just grows on trees?

ethomaz

Banned
Defending the decision of a corporation because it makes perfect sense? Absolutely, why the hell not? Do you people think that money just grows on trees?
Defending the nonsense of a corporation with created bullshit about how the servers handle games lol

The fact the money didn’t grow on trees that F2P games should be you know free to play.

Last edited:
This word is so over-used nowadays it's crazy actually. To me it seems it's used more like "everything that doesn't go my way is anti-consumer."

Caayn

This isn't the case on other platforms?
Outside of China you can freely use codes/dlc and mix and match with whatever region version of a game you're using on Xbox.

I believe that the same goes for the Switch as well, at least in the sense that you can access another region without needing to create multiple accounts.

So yes. The PS4 is the most locked down platform when it comes to region locking.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
And how hard is it to run ps1 games on ps4.
Besides charging 20 for ff7 😂😂

Ar¢tos

Outside of China you can freely use codes/dlc and mix and match with whatever region version of a game you're using on Xbox.

I believe that the same goes for the Switch as well, at least in the sense that you can access another region without needing to create multiple accounts.

So yes. The PS4 is the most locked down platform when it comes to region locking.
In a way yes, but you can always create a psn account that matches the dlc region just to unlock it and then use it on the main account. It should work for everything except things that are account tied like in-game currency, exp boost and EA games cosmetics . Sony published games that have cosmetic DLCs are not account tied.
Its kinda weird the region limitations, ps+ and money cards are country tied, but all other codes from a "region" are usable inside the counties of that region (I have redeemed codes from Spain, France and UK on my Portuguese account with no issue).

Ar¢tos

Sounds convienent. I’m sure a grade 1 kid, or his parent want to do all that.

You solved the age gap. Just switch everything until it works. Sounds like a family day.

Or they could make it just work...

Either way sounds fun.
Grade 1 kids or their tech challenged parents only buy games from the region where they live.

Geki-D

Banned
Moderate console warring is left be when civil and constructive no matter the side it comes from. Shitting on the community in one of the tons of “XYZ company is shitty” and yelling XYZGaf helps nobody beyond “banter yah, just banter mate” quality posting

JohannCK

Have you tried to call Sony to get a local equivalent of the DLC voucher? I mean you purchased the product, they should give you a local code.

What if there isn't a local code because that content isn't even available in the region you're in? What if that content can't be released in the region you're in due to different restrictions? How would Sony even be able to give out free codes for content from third party developers?

Also if they really wanted to stop people from getting content from other regions they wouldn't make it so that content you download on any account is available on all the others, barring a few exceptions (XCOM 2 is one) which seem to be the developers doing it on purpose- Now THAT'S anti-consumer.

Aw geez, the amount of complete editions I bought on PS3, only to find that the additions making it "complete" expired years ago. Why is it NOT on disc?
This on the other hand is a real problem.

This was back in around 2009-2010, but I actually burst out laughing in a store when I saw some PS3 game's limited edition (can't remember what it was, I THINK it was Mass Effect or Dragon Age?) marked up to something like $120, and when I looked at the back of the box there was a line saying that the codes for the stuff it came with expired years ago.

I kind of get why limited editions do that, but "complete" versions that do this are just being obnoxious.

Aw geez, the amount of complete editions I bought on PS3, only to find that the additions making it "complete" expired years ago. Why is it NOT on disc?

How is this a Sony specific issue? Isn't this the decision of the publisher/developer to put content on disk or not and decide how long the redeem codes are active? I have bought many GOTY versions of recent games and none of them had the additional content on disk.

You can just create a PSN account from the region the game is from and redeem your code on PSN in that account.

I have bought games and DLC from other regions and used them on my UK PS4 with no problems. It's just that you need to install the DLC on the same region account from which you bought the game. You can then use the DLC on all other region accounts that you have on your PS4.

Last edited:

Dargor

I just want to publically come in here and say,

I don’t really feel that way. I was repeating a quote from an Xbox thread to see what would happen.

The end result was that I must have gotten reported a lot, and did get banned. For a post I didn’t write. I literally copied a post and changed 1 word, Xbox to Sony.

It was a curiosity and resulted in what I expected. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed eventually.

I just want everyone from all sides to know that’s not how I really feel, and I love gaming and all games as a whole.

I’m not here to pick a side, I’m here to have fun and enjoy my hobby with others.

So, from whom did you quote that from? Is that person banned?

Last edited:
So much fanboyism.

As has been stated before, this is the case on every platform*. It has nothing to do with Sony specifically.

Making voucher codes region specific isn't "anti-consumer". It's entirely necessary to keep track of them, where they're sold, etc..

If you want to use the code, all you have to do is create a second account and reedem on that. You will still be seen to play it on your main account. Anti consumer would be IP checking accounts and not evening allowing you to redeem it outside of its country of origin.

*to the best of my knowledge. If there's an exception, I'm not aware of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom