• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find YouTube without an adblocker intolerable?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’m not sure when it got this way, I’d ball park it to about a year to a year and a half where the ads have ramped up significantly. I used to use YouTube on mobile devices a lot more than on my PC with an adblocker, and on mobile devices it’s just the worst. 90% of videos start with a 15 second ad. It wasn’t this way as recently as two years ago. Some videos are only 30 minutes and have 5 ads in them that are 15 seconds. I now have cut down my use of YouTube on mobile devices significantly, and just listen to music or podcasts on it instead and wait until I’m home to do any YouTubing I want to do.

First world problems maybe, but I think we are all conditioned now with modern technology to loathe obtrusive and lengthy ads and YouTube has just gotten so awful lately.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Have had YT Premium Family since it became available, works great on all our platforms including consoles. Can't deal with the ads..

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Anything without an ad blocker is intolerable

including neogaf?

happy daffy duck GIF by Looney Tunes

I find youtube interolerable nowadays.

I had a playlist of guilty pleasure songs that i would listen to in the car. (BT from phone). Every song there's 30 seconds of ads that i can't skip because i'm not using my phone when driving.

The final straw was putting ads in the middle of songs. Fuck youtube

What's the difference from streaming it from Youtube for free and downloading it to stream from an alternative website? One of those is safer.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yep.

It didn't use to be that bad. But these days almost every single video has multiple instances of 2 unskippable ads in a row and it sucks.

On my phone I've stopped using the app and basically just use Firefox with ublock

Last edited:

Mistake

More people need to move to bitchute or odysee. No ads and it’s easier to support creators. Youtube straight up stole donations from one of my streamers during Christmas last year

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amen. The internet changed a ton. And when it comes to advertising, for the worst. Got to say, they are creative. Every year seems to be new ways of jamming ads in.

Way back, it was tolerable without ad block as you'd get affiliate links on the sides. You click them or you don't.

Then...... giant banner ads, pop ups, ads mixed into the body of the text, autoplaying video clips, that thing they do where you scroll down the page and the ad is in the back ground as a second layer, Gamespot used to do this a lot (you go to the home page and the entire page is sponsored by Kane and Lynch or something), etc..... Surely way more I missed.

I know years back ESPN would have autoplaying videos until I messed with settings or downloaded a Chrome app that disabled them (I think it was an HTML5 autoplay killer). Nothing better than checking a site and 2 seconds later you got video clips blasting in your face.

Forced video ads started on YT when? I don't think it's been that long.

I totally get they need to make money, but in that case, just make the web page subscription only. Lots of sites do that. Instead they still want the page views and web traffic numbers with free access for all with annoying ads.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep.

It didn't used to be that bad. But these days almost every single video has multiple instances of 2 unskippable ads in a row and it sucks.

On my phone I've stopped using the app and basically just use Firefox with ublock
Ya. Something happened where just about every video has an ad to skip now. It wasn't like this before. It used to be the high traffic channels would have ads (not sure if it's automatically done by YT or the channel having a deal with a sponsor), but you'd know that checking a large channel might have ads, but a normal channel with hardly any views (the common dude goofing on YT for fun) would be no ads. Now it seems 90% of videos have a video ad.

Last edited:

RNG

PC is fine for me because of Adblock and SponsorBlock.

Mobile/tablet is unbearable with the multiple ad spots in the video. I mostly get 2 ads playing back to back at each spot and sometimes one of them is unskippable.

Last edited:
Yeah its terrible without adblock, i usually work with my home pc running youtube while i work but on those rare instances i youtube on my phone its fucking painful

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Ya. Something happened where just about every video has an ad to skip now. It wasn't like this before. It used to be the high traffic channels would have ads (not sure if it's automatically done by YT or the channel having a deal with a sponsor), but you'd know that checking a large channel might have ads, but a normal channel with hardly any views (the common dude goofing on YT for fun) would be no ads. Now it seems 90% of videos have a video ad.
15 seconds at the start of almost every. fucking. video. It's so bad. Even videos that are like 2 minutes.

Nymphae

Banned
I only use YT at home on my pc with an ad blocker, no issues whatsoever, I have completely forgotten about ads for the most part. On mobile, I don't watch YT outside of clicking on links from the web and I don't see ads.

MayauMiao

I wouldn't mind paying Youtube if the money goes to my subscribed creators or videos that I liked, not to some Hollywood celebs paid by Youtube spouting social justice bullshit.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Yep.

It didn't used to be that bad. But these days almost every single video has multiple instances of 2 unskippable ads in a row and it sucks.

Thanks!
Giving this a try.

But yeah, I agree with everyone here. It was about a year or two ago when it wasn't feasible to use a music playlist because of the ads, and in the past year the pre-video ads plus the two commerical ad breaks at 3 and 7 min are too much.
Unfortunately for Google I don't easily bend so I've either been dealing with for some content and finding alternative methods for other.
I know they ratchet up and down the number of ad inserts over the years but this past year has been the worst.

Breakage

I have to deal with it on mobile. It's incredibly frustrating. The adverts with loud music that run for several minutes are the worst.

TTOOLL

It’s trash and a bunch of videos aren’t even working on my tv due to ads. I will not pay for YT premium, ever. Just because they are ruining the experience so people pay for it.

on mobile I just use Safari with adblocker and it’s bearable.

Last edited:

KO7

Some evenings I just want to turn off my PC early and chill using my Series X for CP2077 and YouTube before bedtime and the YT ads pretty much kill it for me after one or two short videos.

Kenpachii

got a nvidia shield and its absolutely terrible when it comes to youtube adds every 5 minutes 2 adds.

Last edited:

Codes 208

including neogaf?

happy daffy duck GIF by Looney Tunes
Jokes aside 99% the ads on gaf don’t bother me but as a mobile user there’s been times when the ads become very aggressive (as in they frequently pull you out into a new page with some inescapable spam like “YOu jUsT WoN a FrEe sPin oF ThE WheEL!!!” Or some shit.)

Evilore and the mod team are usually pretty good to stomp those ones out when they come up but it does happen on occasion (or at least on iPhone) but tbf it’s been awhile since the last time I’ve had that happen.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't seen any ads on YouTube in years but the ads on Twitch have gotten so bad its genuinely unusable. And they beat the ad blockers.

Luckily I found out you can set your VPN to a country they aren't allowed to show ads in. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
Wish I could hack my firestick to use and adblocker on Youtube.
Damn, it's so unbearable.
Still, that money they want for no ads is much too high.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It sucks since I only have my phone as Internet.

I recently got 3 months of Youtube Premium for free because I have Google One, which funny enough I only have because it's included in my phone plan.

So until March I can watch without ads but yeah it's become unbearable with them.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It ruined my shitting habits since even shortest bathroom break now comes with a damn ad.
It's worst when I take a bath and the phone is further to keep away from water...

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Totally agree. I youtube on many devices as its my main source of TV entertainment. PC, a laptop, a Vodafone TV box in the loungeroom and a MIIbox in the bedroom. Ads are ridiculous.

I am pretty sure that recently youtube released some new clauses around ads and playing ads on any vide they want even it the video has been deemed Demonitoized for a creator. Its robbery. Some of these ads arent going to the creators.

The quicker some alternatives become more viable with Android TV apps the better. Bring on bitchute, odysee and rumble. Youtube has had the market too long, the censorship and money grabbng too much now. ONly thing is they can easily make it hard to go to alternatives when they have google searhc, and the google store on lock down.

UnNamed

Banned
I'm one of those who think it's right for creators to have the right revenue, the right value, so I'm against adblocker, which is usually used by people who don't understand how much work you have to put on something, the same people who generally do nothing in their life...

... but enough is enough! How many ads do you need in a 10 minutes video? There are some video with FOUR ads, one every 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
This guys are the real reason why people use adblock.

Stitch

Gold Member
Wish I could hack my firestick to use and adblocker on Youtube.
Damn, it's so unbearable.
Still, that money they want for no ads is much too high.
Just enable third party installations in the options, install downloader

and download smarttubenext with it
Just point it to the apk link under latest release

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can't stand using youtube on my mobile/tv. ads fucking everywhere and every two seconds. on my PC i have an adblocker and it's fine.

Kokoro2020

Yes. I keep my Adblock on at all times. Occasionally, I'll run into a site that requires you to turn the Adblock off, so I do, but other than that I'm always using it. That's part of why I don't use internet on my phone,

Futurematic

There are ad blockers on mobile though? I browse YouTube via Safari (with ad blocker) and I don’t get ads. Or is it the garbage YouTube app that’s the problem?

Last edited:
Top Bottom