• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find YouTube without an adblocker intolerable?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
PC is fine for me because of Adblock and SponsorBlock.

Mobile/tablet is unbearable with the multiple ad spots in the video. I mostly get 2 ads playing back to back at each spot and sometimes one of them is unskippable.
If you're on Android, try switching to YouTube Vanced. An ad-free YouTube experience with some added customizability, and they've recently integrated SponsorBlock. SponsorBlock's API page also lists some iOS method, never looked into it as I don't buy Apple.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I use Youtube on my TV which has ads but at work when I have downtime I use Brave which has a blocker. I always surprised how many ads some videos have on them. The frequency is to the point its worse than commercials at times. I need to look into setting up a blocker on my network entirely.

Zog

Banned
I wouldn't mind paying Youtube if the money goes to my subscribed creators or videos that I liked, not to some Hollywood celebs paid by Youtube spouting social justice bullshit.
I don't pay for YouTube Premium for the creators, I pay for it for ME. I pay for it so I don't have to view ads and I don't care where the money goes as long as I don't get ads.

On the other hand creators are putting sponsored ads directly into their videos (that is where they directly promote a product in the middle of their content).

Most of the people I know don't use one. I couldn't believe how awful it was when I saw it. I've told them to download an adblocker, which is very easy, but none of them bother. Ultimately, I conclude that they must simply enjoy those commercials.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Most of the people I know don't use one. I couldn't believe how awful it was when I saw it. I've told them to download an adblocker, which is very easy, but none of them bother. Ultimately, I conclude that they must simply enjoy those commercials.
Those people subsidize the ones who use an adblocker. Someone has to watch the ads, just be glad someone else is willing.

Last edited:

dan76

I've found that on an iPad if you drag to the end of a video then click rewatch it sometimes disables all the ads. Doesn't always work and the ones at the start are unskipable. Generally I just mute everything until the vid starts playing. It's a pain on mobile for sure.

With stupid ads like "Sure, skips this ad like you skipped buying Amazon stocks" or the Masterclass ad with the woman making stupid sounds, YouTube is really insufferable without an ad blocker. Is there a way to block ads on mobile?

Arimer

Just enable third party installations in the options, install downloader

and download smarttubenext with it
Just point it to the apk link under latest release
Will it update automatically or will i have to do this every so often?

Jeeves

It's even worse now because recently YouTube gave themselves permission to put as many ads as they want on any video they want, even if the creator didn't enable ads for their video.

PC is adblocked, but I often chromecast to the TV via the app. I'mma try out Vanced.

Stitch

Gold Member
Will it update automatically or will i have to do this every so often?
you don't have to use downloader again. once smarttubenext is installed it will tell you that there's an update and will download and install it automatically.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Yes, i am also using it. It is really time saving app.
Don't click the link in his quote response, he edited the original post to point to another site.

edit: i didnt necro the thread i made a warning about a bot that was also a necromancer

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Ads every 3 minutes in a 30 minute video. I started to stop watching channels that do that, way to ruin your content.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I find most of the YouTube content intolerable. There is some great stuff on there, I am just not finding it anymore.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
More people need to move to bitchute or odysee. No ads and it’s easier to support creators. Youtube straight up stole donations from one of my streamers during Christmas last year
I’ll check those out. At least as a side-option for now. YouTube has gotten too big for it’s britches.

Cattlyst

I use ad blockers on desktop YouTube but the mobile app is virtually useless to me with the number of ads before and during every video. It's almost certainly designed to be unbearable in order to convince you get premium.

I finally decided to go with an adblocker. I tolerated it for years, mostly because I want creators to get their ad revenue, but I'm just done. It's become so over the top that it practically ruins content.

I was watching a 10ish minute video a couple days ago that had a 30 second unskippable ad up front and another 15 second ad about halfway through. Forget listening to music on Youtube without an ad blocker. 10-15 second ads before every song.

Keihart

Who knows, i've had youtube premium for youtube music for years now.
Youtube music slaps Spotify's ass.
Twitch is bullshit as I have Twitch Prime so I should be exempt from that garbage.
You need Twtich turbo for that if i'm not mistaken, prime only gives you a free sub monthly.

It's even worse now because recently YouTube gave themselves permission to put as many ads as they want on any video they want, even if the creator didn't enable ads for their video.

PC is adblocked, but I often chromecast to the TV via the app. I'mma try out Vanced.

I agree, that is complete bullshit, in fact, even if you are not a partner, youtube can slap ads on your videos now. Horrible move.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
ads at the start or middle for a 60+ min video is one thing

i got ads every 4 minutes for a 25 min video, it's not trending or highly viewed either, it makes no sense and ruins the content

I have the YT Family plan that includes YT Music for 5 people for $15 a month. Best $15 I spend monthly that's not on my kids or weed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, to be fair every content creator and YT can inject ads. It's their right and their way of making money.

It's also every user's right to use adblock or skip ahead (like how some content creators are so big they do real life product promotions as they got a sample from the company and they do a 2 min script).

If content creators dont like it, then put your content behind a paid wall. Many newspapers do it. I'm pretty sure I can get whatever equal business content on free sites than on WSJ, but WSJ requires a sub plan. They must be doing something right because people are paying for content which I guess is better than I think.

If a Youtuber's or website's content is that good they'll pay for it. Or even better, be like a Dr Disrespect where every 30 seconds someone is sending him $5/min as he clowns around playing PUBG.

No different than Netflix. People pay for it because it's quality and works. Pretty sure you can sift the net and find most of the movies off pirate sites if you look hard enough. It'll be free too. But the service is good so people pay $10/mth for it.

Content creators overvalue their work. The reason most people dont want to watch ads or pay for patreon subs is because your content isnt good enough to pay money for.

Many sports sites videos dont work unless you disable adblock. I disable and make it a safe site. Why? Because watching instant replays and recaps of games is worthwhile content for me. So is hearing about analysis regarding trades and signings. See? When content is good, adblocker comes off.

Last edited:
I need more ads and more varied ads hopefully starlink has the ability to display ads by altering satellite reflectivity. So people cant escape the ads when looking at the night sky.

Without ads how will i learn of products and services? Random searches? Human recommendations?

DrNeroCF

For iOS, AdGuard in Safari works pretty well at at least not showing the ad, though you still need to click Skip Ad. Set YouTube to always request desktop mode and PiP will work when switching out of Safari, and you can lock, unlock, click play on lock screen for background audio.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I keep stopping the video and playing it again until the ads go, sadly don't work for during the video.

Kaachan

It's dreadful having to watch those horrible 6-15 sec ads for every single video. I've started to refrain from watching from my phone or PS5 because my patience doesn't tolerate it, especially since I stopped watching TV years ago because I couldn't stand commercial breaks.

It is possible to use a VPN-based adblocker for iOs such as Luna, as for Android there are applications like Aguard that will block ads at system level but that requires you to watch YouTube from a browser rather than the app.

It's not intolerable but is annoying since i've started consuming on my phone/tablet more. The double/unskippable ads they do is taking the piss. I didn't mind the one skippable ad.

I've just saw something called youtube Vanced, anybody recommend? worried about google play accounts being linked etc.

Will cntinue to have an adblocker on my PC experinence as long as I can.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
It's not intolerable but is annoying since i've started consuming on my phone/tablet more. The double/unskippable ads they do is taking the piss. I didn't mind the one skippable ad.

I've just saw something called youtube Vanced, anybody recommend? worried about google play accounts being linked etc.

Will cntinue to have an adblocker on my PC experinence as long as I can.
I would once again like to recommend YouTube Vanced to all Android users. It also integrates SponsorBlock, a browser extension to block sponsored segments, merch advertising, subscribe begging, etc.

The next step that I expect to see in circumventing adblockers/sponsorblockers is for sponsors to start paying for banner ads hardcoded into videos during important segments. Dunno how we'll fight that one. But we'll keep on fighting. Row, row, fight the sponsors.

daveonezero

Banned
It is getting harder to block them. They started serving them from the same server so thing like pihole don’t work for devices you can’t get an adblocker on.

Top Bottom