• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else skipping this console generation?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ll eventually get another ps5, when easy to find and has some good 1st party stuff out (spider man 2, gow2 ect..). Unless I quit gaming by then. Spending less and less time these days with work and stuff. Don’t need it all some times and pc does more then just play games so I’ll always have one.

Jeeves

Still happy with Switch + PC. I'm not opposed to buying a new console for games I want, but since I'm not really much of a Sony first-party guy I have zero incentive so far to buy a new console.

Zelent

I skipped last-gen as well, but next-gen looks even more underwhelming.
Everything is coming to PC, and the push in graphics & tech is minimal.

The Switch is an exception of course.

Fbh

Skipping, no.
But probably delaying.

Ps5 is way too expensive here (thanks Sony for scalping your own console!) and has yet to release any must have exclusives (at least for my taste).
Series X is reasonably priced but it sounds like every big game that might get me interested in buying one (Avowed, Fable, Hellblade, the next ID Software and Arkane games, etc) are all going to be like late 2022 at the earliest.

For the time being I'm fine with my Ps4 pro and my 1050ti laptop (which is crappy, but can still play a ton of less demanding games in 1080p 60fps). Still plenty of past releases to catch up with. Currently playing Disco Elysium, I just picked up Ace Combat 7 and Black Mesa on sale, and I think I'll give Hades a try afterwards.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I’m all in already. I Have both PS5 and XsX. Switch doesn’t count as “this console generation” right? Well I have one of those too.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'll treat it like I did my PS4. Play a few games but mostly stick with my retro consoles.

R&C is the game I'm most hyped for. RE8 free upgrade is nice. Returnal looks cool.

Mostly just want R&C, RE9 and a new Dragon Quest.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I've had all the consoles I can remember past Sega, and I don't really think I get in this time. I've been mainly a PC player my entire life.

Bought lots of x360 games cus there were many non pc games, bought a ps3 only to play the exclusives.

Started being a main pc gamer again so sold everything. I regret I sold it, but I've repurchased almost everything since then.

Bought xo because I moved to my own house and didn't want to use a room in my entire home to play in. Bought a shitload of xo games, but due to irritation over bad performance and framerate I went back to the pc and never looked back.

Bought a PS4 because everyone said the games were great and the graphics was much better.

519.png

I don't really care about the new consoles. The Xbox games I want will come on pc anyway and sonys games doesn't really interest me.

I'm tired of thinking if a game will be 60 fps or crappy 30 fps, nasty bloom effects etc and just want to install my game turn annoying shit off and play.

PS5 games won't be on PC before 2030.
With all those great games coming out I doubt they bother.

HTK

Banned
I'm all in on the PS5 and probably Series X soon as some of those exclusives start coming out. PC, well I've been trying to build one for 6+ months now, and it's impossible as most parts I want are sold out, our marked up to hell and back and let's be honest it's not worth it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not much next wow factor yet, but it'll come.

All you gamers wanting next gen system and cant get one, it can be a blessing. If this goes on for years, by the time you can get one easier there might be a better model out with more SSD space (Xbox One and PS4 did that after a year), or there might be news a mid gen model comes out in 2024, so its close enough to roll the dice and wait for that.

Also, the longer you wait, the more next games actually come out. Right now, it's basically up-ports.

Rayderism

Well, I haven't gotten a PS5 yet, simply because I'm not willing to jump through all the hoops needed to get one. If that situation never resolves itself, I may never get one. Certainly not going to settle for the digtial-only version, and I'm not going to settle for some potentially gimped version "that saves on the hard-to-get components" as Sony said they might do.

ScaredPepper

Neo Member
i'm waiting to see what else the gen has to offer before getting a system tbh. hopefully we start seeing some interesting games soon

Orta

Banned
Both are a complete waste of money at the moment. This will be the second gen I've skipped Xbox and I'll wait a few years before the PS5 is or isn't worth buying.

More than happy with my PC & Switch (I'll buy a Pro on launch day however).

I'm a PC gamer, however i do usually get the consoles each generation because i like gaming on console too.

However with all Xbox games coming to PC and looking like Playstation following suit, also a lack of stock and most notably the 'next gen' feel really not being there, the jump from Ps4 to Ps5 seems so weak in comparisons to previous generations, anyone else thinking of not even bothering with a console this generation?

Dude the generation is 6 months old and it's already shaping up to be the best console generation ever, 60fps looks to be a baseline for performance, we finally have high frame rate modes, the hardware is quiet, premium and offers something unique in terms of PS5 with the Dualsense, it would be a terrible time to skip a generation.

secured a ps5 early on, but with lack of games, it was just gathering dust—-and with astronomical demand, i sold it for twice what i paid. 6 months later still no regrets. there may come a time where console exclusives make it worthwhile but like you said, with so many traditionally-console only games coming to pc, on top of some of the hardware issues i’ve read about with consoles, i’m going to stay pc until theres a reason to invest in a console. i totally get that you get a lot of value in consoles —- it would be difficult currently to match the specs in a pc for the same cost.

Tg89

I'm a PC gamer, however i do usually get the consoles each generation because i like gaming on console too.

However with all Xbox games coming to PC and looking like Playstation following suit, also a lack of stock and most notably the 'next gen' feel really not being there, the jump from Ps4 to Ps5 seems so weak in comparisons to previous generations, anyone else thinking of not even bothering with a console this generation?

I get why someone would skip, especially in that case. Really not much of a use case to have an Xbox if you have a PC and if the PS5 exclusives don't interest you that much then why bother.

That said, I never got the sentiment that the PS4>PS5 jump seems weak compared to previous generations. I think we just came off the most disappointing gen in that regards. The PS3>PS4 (and 360>X1) jump was pathetic. I remember getting the PS4 at launch and being immediately disappointed with the jump, playing BF4 and having it be noticeably inferior to how it ran on my firmly mid tier PC out of the gate. To me, PS5, while definitely not as powerful as a high end PC, is at least closer. I still have a mid tier PC and I certainly don't have the same feeling when I play something like Demon's Souls, or Warzone. That's strictly from a game performance standpoint, there's also other things like the controller, loading times, OS snappiness (ignoring the poor UI design|, but PS4 had that too) that make it feel much more next-gen than PS4 ever did. I mean PS4 never even had a period of time where it ran games at a reasonable combination of resolution/framerate.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned

Iam getting forced to Skip it because Sony doesnt offer me a PS 5 to buy lol

Miles708

I'm skipping half gen at least, that's for sure. For now it's just a lot of money and effort for very little return.

I'm sure worthy games will come out, we will talk then. It's not like there aren't games to play already.

Shifty1897

I think if there ever was a generation to skip consoles on, this would be the one, though I certainly won't judge anyone who thinks there is enough value to owning a PS5 or XSX.

Excess

First generation I did not buy a new console on launch day, and that's not to say I didn't already have a preorder, which I did for XSX. I canceled it.

My RTX 3080 will do just fine for now.

stitch1

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have a PC (needs an upgraded GPU) and doubled down on the consoles instead of upgrading my graphics card. I prefer the console experience over PC gaming anyways. But I ordered both consoles at launch and regret nothing. Haven't played on my PC since.

NinjaBoiX

I’ve not got any plans to skip it, but I’m certainly in no rush.

There aren’t that many compelling reasons to own one right now, and I’m not getting myself worked up scrambling for limited stock to play only a handful of games that I can’t already play on my Pro.

It’ll be next year when they’re easily available and there’s a halfway decent library that I even consider getting one.

Roufianos

Strange question to ask on a gaming enthusiast forum.

It's like Megan Fox going into a strip club to find someone who wouldn't wanna see her tits.

If you have a capable PC, you're already able to access all first party Microsoft titles day 1 via game pass. And it appears PlayStation is putting some more investment into PC gaming.

Things are just different. I do agree the jump from XBOX ONE/PS4 to XBOX SERIES/PS5 doesn't yet appear that obvious.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
At $500 its not like you're making a life investment. PS5 was a no-brainer purchase for me & with a great backwards compat support Xbox Series X is looking enticing as well.

Like you say though, OP, you already have a PC so the value proposition is much different. You already have access to 90% of the console library.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I save so I can afford them, so I don't plan on skipping. My parents made me skip the SNES.....I missed out on the greatest console generation.

Ravi_elite

Banned
skipping this gen.

should have skipped last gen

instead this gen..i bought an RGH 360 because...all the games i love are still on the 360..

Knightime_X

Holding out for a ps5 pro.
Xbox Series X is tiding me over VERY well. So far to the point I keep forgetting ps5 is even a thing.

Last edited:
I won't skip this generation, but I'm not in a rush since I have a lot of catching up to do with the PS4. I'll wait a few years before getting a PS5, hopefully a Slim version comes out cause I'm not a fan of massive hardware.

I feel like we have this thread every single week, but I'll post my thoughts on the subject and my answer which is no.
  • Lots of assumptions about Sony's PC plans. I don't see day and date being a thing and it's much more likely to follow the current trend of releasing a few years after the initial release and they have sold 95% of what they will on PlayStation.
  • GPUs are harder to find then consoles as far as I can tell and I'm unlikely to find one while I've been able to get 5 consoles (1 of each for me, and 3 others for friends).
  • I also absolutely refuse to pay anything more then $500 on a GPU, and really don't want to spend over $400 either way. I just don't find the value in high end GPUs that cost the same or more then an entire console despite the power improvements.
  • Game Pass is way better on console then PC IMO but that depends on game taste.
I have a PS5/Series X/RX580 PC. I play on everything and have built/helped with around 20 computer builds but I still generally prefer the console experience. I was iffy on getting a Series X because my PC can theoretically play everything the Xbox can besides the old Gears games (which I love) but I love it. When it came down to cost I actually feel really good about it because I needed a new PC controller, and I was going to buy Outriders/MLB on PlayStation originally anyway so there's $200 after tax alone combined with the fact that I was running out of SSD space on my PC and deleting FH4/Halo gave me like 200GB and saved me buying a new drive my Series X is realistically costing me around $250.

Bakkus

Certainly not in any of the coming years. The types of games Microsoft has bought exclusive rights to doesn't interest me at all. Same goes for Sony's western first party output.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I want it all. I'm not willing to wait for PS5 games to come to PC.

Javthusiast

Banned
Bought a Series S at launch, despite primarily being a PS fan and having all 4 previous sony consoles.

Got a years worth of Game Pass for cheap. Was very glad with the purchase at first. A ton of games to play on and the future day one releases are promising.

Despite all that decided this week to sell the S and get a Switch Lite instead. I realized that even with having all them games on game pass, I still barely played that many in the last 5 months.
In addition I have a ton of bought and aquired through ps plus games on my ps4, so why not play them, instead of not playing all the Game Pass games. Might actually finish the ps4 backlog this way. And there are still cool new games being added to PS Plus every month like FF7 Remake etc. plus the play at home free games.

Game Pass purchase will thankfully not be a total waste, since I can still play the indies on my weak PC and the bigger games on Xcloud, should it run well enough.

Will get a ps5 in a year or 2, when they are readily available, have way more exclusives out and those being super cheap by that point, cause I ain't buying 80€ games at lauch.

So yeah, not totally skipping this gen, but definitely waiting.

In the meantime will instead catch up on all the Nintendo Exclusives, instead of playing games on Series S, that are I either already have on ps4 or that will be available there on ps plus or Now eventually anyway. Don't care much for Bethesda, so missing pout on them is no big deal.

Last edited:
I skipped 4 cause 4 is like bad luck and stuff in Chinese, but there's no way I am skipping 5.
I am all in once the slim or pro gets announced, though I will probably wait for a limited edition version before jumping in.

Top Bottom