• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here from ResetEra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constant quoting of people and then putting words in somebodies mouth that was never typed. Plus calling people racist for wanting more details on an incident. That Chiptotle thread where the worker did not want to serve somebody for not paying in the past. And that is a milder example..

I don't even think we had a thread on that, but how did theirs go? Did anyone admit they were wrong for their assumptions in this particular situation, or did they just double down and insist she should have been fired anyway?

But yeah, that's another good example of the bad faith I'm talking about.

I get that but for me I don't want discussion for the most part on news. I just want to have the knowledge and form my own thoughts on it. Plus reddit is usually on top of it if it's big news but the issue is there is always some comment that either backs me so I feel good and some that shit all over it making it less of an event. So I try to just get the news and leave it at that so I can think what I think about it and not have some spin thrown on it one way or the other. But saying era is quickest is silly to me because reddit and twitter either match or beat them without some bullshit mods checking every ones privilege and banning you for dumb shit.

Meh. Just use NES bot, if you want to get gaming news from Era. https://twitter.com/NESbot_feed

Originally from Gaf but I went to era for awhile. I can barely access the site now and its also painfully slow.
I get really tired of the corporate pandering and pro censorship stuff there sometimes but it's still good for news.

You have to check back after a review. On Era the original ban can never be a perma, as it has to undergo a review from multiple mods. I think the max without review is a week or something. It really seems like a large majority of them get upgraded, especially if the ban is around race or gender.

No....you only have to go through the ban logs to see they loosely associate a reason and then pull out the infraction card to get a perm.....there are countless examples of this and the little helpers play a big role...or discord hit squad as they should probably be called

The discord hit squad I'm pretty sure has a rolling list and from what I can gather they tend to report with a narrative or line of attack (this person is a nazi/transphobe/sexist..ect)..from there they cluster bomb a poster going back through a posters history reporting any posts which back up the ban report.

Domisto

I find it funny how both sites really hate eachother so much. Come on it's just forums.
We are being childish.

Truce anyone?
I'd settle for a cold war.

It's nice that REs maintenance has led to people coming over and chatting with us, hopefully sticking around. But it has sparked a lot of bad feelings when it felt like the RE chatter here was just starting to die down a bit. I get it. I don't like the management over there. Just would rather let them get on with it and talk vidya games and nonsense instead.

thief183

I'm an optimistic, I think that with time everyone will be able to have a conversation with everyone else ( EVERYONE ) without banning or silencing the others, I don't have anything against RE other than the moderation.

Darth

I don't even think we had a thread on that, but how did theirs go? Did anyone admit they were wrong for their assumptions in this particular situation, or did they just double down and insist she should have been fired anyway?

But yeah, that's another good example of the bad faith I'm talking about.

Meh. Just use NES bot, if you want to get gaming news from Era. https://twitter.com/NESbot_feed

Some did but of course some did not. Typically you get attacked there if you want more information before drawing a conclusion and that makes you racist somehow.

Darth

I'm an optimistic, I think that with time everyone will be able to have a conversation with everyone else ( EVERYONE ) without banning or silencing the others, I don't have anything against RE other than the moderation.

When I joined RE I thought it was like a more tolerant neogaf with warnings instead of instabans. It feels like the first few months were fine and then it regressed heavily as time passed. From what is sounds like this moderation here is much different now than a few years back when I was banned here.

Papa

Banned
When I joined RE I thought it was like a more tolerant neogaf with warnings instead of instabans. It feels like the first few months were fine and then it regressed heavily as time passed. From what is sounds like this moderation here is much different now than a few years back when I was banned here.

The comparison has been made many times by many people, but it has followed the general story of Animal Farm almost to a tee.

I get that but for me I don't want discussion for the most part on news. I just want to have the knowledge and form my own thoughts on it. Plus reddit is usually on top of it if it's big news but the issue is there is always some comment that either backs me so I feel good and some that shit all over it making it less of an event. So I try to just get the news and leave it at that so I can think what I think about it and not have some spin thrown on it one way or the other. But saying era is quickest is silly to me because reddit and twitter either match or beat them without some bullshit mods checking every ones privilege and banning you for dumb shit.
I'm simply saying it's typically where I hear about gaming news. I get you don't like the site but whenever there's gaming news they're on top of it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm simply saying it's typically where I hear about gaming news. I get you don't like the site but whenever there's gaming news they're on top of it.

I’m with you there. But I’m an old fogey and hate twitter and Reddit. I’ve gotten my hobby news from forums since the mid to late 90s and I’m stuck in my ways. The millennials and Gen Z folk can have twitter and Reddit.

Last edited by a moderator:

petran79

Banned

Problem are not the news but the way the news are discussed and headlined. Eg can I learn about games for which the forum will have a negative opinion or are even allowed to be discussed at all?

cr0w

Old Member
I disagree with /r/Games. They are very much pro-gaming "journalism" to a fault and openly praise much of the same ignorant talking points that is thrown around like gospel on far-left forums.

To be honest I just read whatever news is posted and ignore anything and everything that's opinion-based. Gaming is the sub I frequent most, but even then it's just at a surface level. I have no interest in industry drama or even anything but the most basic information about games I'm interested in. I'm still in 1986 mode where I don't pay attention between announcement and release.

zenspider

Can I just say it's a little ironic that the most active thread on Neogaf is the one about ResetEra? Anyway, I still come here from time to time. I'm way less worried about being banned here for basically nothing like I am at ResetEra. It makes me afraid to post anything because I don't know what "justifies" a ban over there.

Well, you sure can't talk about ERA on ERA, so it makes a lot of sense.
I think it's unfortunate that people there are constantly banned for arguing in bad faith, from a staff and community that pretty much always views any opposing thought in the most hateful terms imaginable, and constantly assumes the absolute worst of anyone who disagrees. Then the person who has that view is allowed to be dogpiled with hateful personal attacks, and no one faces any consequences, except for the person who disagreed in the first place.

That's what GAF used to be. I think avoiding that sort of thing is worth a slower moving forum, and reading some cringe inducing far right views from time to time, which I'm still free to disagree with and challenge. I lean left on some issues, and right on some others, so engaging with a lot of opinions is enjoyable for me.

People here who get too far into the "anti-SJW" side of things can end up falling into their own bad faith arguments, but I try to point out and challenge that hypocrisy when I can.

This is exactly how I feel.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
To be honest I just read whatever news is posted and ignore anything and everything that's opinion-based. Gaming is the sub I frequent most, but even then it's just at a surface level. I have no interest in industry drama or even anything but the most basic information about games I'm interested in. I'm still in 1986 mode where I don't pay attention between announcement and release.

Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood what you originally meant. Been a loooooong day.

In that case, I also suggest you check out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gaming4Gamers/

While not strictly news based, they do post some awesome game-related content and youtube videos. May be up your alley.

Other than here, I mostly only use GameFAQs or Reddit on occassion, usually for specific games since they're both still tops for guides/tips/etc, and I'll lurk sub/Rs for the memes. Resetera check it once or twice a week on a whim if I'm bored because it seems to post a lot of news threads quickly and I guess it's nice to see some familiar names still active. I don't have an account there though.

NeoGAF my home I guess... I avoid the OT stuff as much as I can and I just don't really care what happened or happens -- Dutch, guess I'm just loyal to the logo.

bigedole

I once got banned for suggesting that a woman could easily make up something to get somebody else in trouble.

Here, my first few posts in a climate change thread there was a self proclaimed scientist who was trying to deny climate change by fabricating statements and cherry picking data. No moderation happened.

Pick your poison :messenger_unamused:

No reason to mis-characterize me. I didn't fabricate or cherry pick anything. I took a strong stance with an unpopular opinion and tried to argue for it with some easily accessed statistical data. You were free to disagree, which you did. We had something of a back and forth and then it was over. What do you expect moderation should have done in that exchange? I probably could've been a little nicer with some of my word choices, but arguments like those are valuable and serve a purpose and moderation's only role should be to make sure the discussion doesn't derail too hard and avoids personal attacks.

The very fact that we could have the debate we did is why I really appreciate NeoGAF these days. I've made a vow to not use Reddit at work, so this place is basically the only discussion based website I use during the day. Intelligent discussion is the cornerstone of western society. Bad ideas will be defeated on the basis of their lack of merit. You don't need to forcibly squelch them, all that accomplishes is retarding people's ability to confront beliefs that they disagree with. It's bad for us as individuals and as a society.

ResetERA is literally a cancer on society. I feel the same way about r/The_Donald. Any community based on discussion that censors those they disagree with is a useless existence. These places are training individuals to think and live in ways that can not possibly be functional in the real world and would quite literally cause the collapse of western civilization were they main stream. Open dialogue is how you defeat bad ideas. NeuGAF has, so far, proven to be a stalwart champion of this concept. Moderation does not take sides, and only steps in when discussion is derailing. I am happy to spend my time here, despite the fact that I will disagree with many posters on many issues. I know that if I post something most disagree with, there will not be pages of driveby shitposts in response to me having the gall to deviate from the hivemind, and in fact I can probably expect an intelligent rebuttal or two for me to engage with.

Great Job EviLore EviLore and really all of the moderation/admin staff you've assembled. Also great job to those that have stuck around and been apart of shaping this community to be what it has become. I spend a lot of time here, most days just lurking, but it has become a place I'm happy to be a part of.

Papa

Banned
No reason to mis-characterize me. I didn't fabricate or cherry pick anything. I took a strong stance with an unpopular opinion and tried to argue for it with some easily accessed statistical data. You were free to disagree, which you did. We had something of a back and forth and then it was over. What do you expect moderation should have done in that exchange? I probably could've been a little nicer with some of my word choices, but arguments like those are valuable and serve a purpose and moderation's only role should be to make sure the discussion doesn't derail too hard and avoids personal attacks.

The very fact that we could have the debate we did is why I really appreciate NeoGAF these days. I've made a vow to not use Reddit at work, so this place is basically the only discussion based website I use during the day. Intelligent discussion is the cornerstone of western society. Bad ideas will be defeated on the basis of their lack of merit. You don't need to forcibly squelch them, all that accomplishes is retarding people's ability to confront beliefs that they disagree with. It's bad for us as individuals and as a society.

ResetERA is literally a cancer on society. I feel the same way about r/The_Donald. Any community based on discussion that censors those they disagree with is a useless existence. These places are training individuals to think and live in ways that can not possibly be functional in the real world and would quite literally cause the collapse of western civilization were they main stream. Open dialogue is how you defeat bad ideas. NeuGAF has, so far, proven to be a stalwart champion of this concept. Moderation does not take sides, and only steps in when discussion is derailing. I am happy to spend my time here, despite the fact that I will disagree with many posters on many issues. I know that if I post something most disagree with, there will not be pages of driveby shitposts in response to me having the gall to deviate from the hivemind, and in fact I can probably expect an intelligent rebuttal or two for me to engage with.

Great Job EviLore EviLore and really all of the moderation/admin staff you've assembled. Also great job to those that have stuck around and been apart of shaping this community to be what it has become. I spend a lot of time here, most days just lurking, but it has become a place I'm happy to be a part of.

Preach, brother.

Liljagare

Got banned rather quickly on my account on Resetera, keeping my alts going though, that place is nice for gaming news, the other subforums are just like visiting a drugged out grandma that is going aggro on shrooms. :\

Papa

Banned
So I just had a look at their new design and it's like they're the petty, jealous homeowner trying to keep up with his neighbour's luscious lawn. It's so similar to the new GAF design, like wtf?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I'm relatively new to GAF after years of lurking. Ya, I get that GAF traffic is way lower now, but I like it. You can actually have discussion with out people crying like babies and mods banning people every 5 minutes.

Looking at the ban link at the bottom, there's not a lot of bannings due to people getting into overheated arguments. More than half seem to be spambots and you get the occasional guy doing an account suicide request.

If this was Resetera, I guarantee you'd get 10x more bannings and most would be due to people getting emotional cussing and swearing and mods going apeshit banning people for things that shouldn't even be a ban.

Funny thing is that board is so heavily moderated, you'd think people would cut out the BS to keep their account off the ban hammer. But it can so crazy on that board it goes to show people can be psycho over there even with ban hammer threats an inch over the head.

Here, moderation is more subdued, you don't get these mods trying to be personalities getting involved in threads, and the chat is still civil.

Imagine what it would be like on Resetera if there were half the mods and they sat back and let people argue all night. It would be even more insane.

I came to Gaf after 'The Cleansing' from a different gaming forum who incidentally has become a leftist shithole as well. I browse Ree for shits and giggles just to see what the fragile snowflakes are up to, but some people over there are literally unhinged.

Every time a gaming podcast references Ree I cringe a little. "Those guys literally advocate political violence, rioting, and outright murder without so much as a slap on the wrist," runs through my head every time. It would be like a political comentator quoting /pol/, and being serious about it.

bigedole

I'm relatively new to GAF after years of lurking. Ya, I get that GAF traffic is way lower now, but I like it. You can actually have discussion with out people crying like babies and mods banning people every 5 minutes.

Looking at the ban link at the bottom, there's not a lot of bannings due to people getting into overheated arguments. More than half seem to be spambots and you get the occasional guy doing an account suicide request.

If this was Resetera, I guarantee you'd get 10x more bannings and most would be due to people getting emotional cussing and swearing and mods going apeshit banning people for things that shouldn't even be a ban.

Funny thing is that board is so heavily moderated, you'd think people would cut out the BS to keep their account off the ban hammer. But it can so crazy on that board it goes to show people can be psycho over there even with ban hammer threats an inch over the head.

Here, moderation is more subdued, you don't get these mods trying to be personalities getting involved in threads, and the chat is still civil.

Imagine what it would be like on Resetera if there were half the mods and they sat back and let people argue all night. It would be even more insane.

I have mixed feelings on the activity level here. When I started visiting NeoGAF, I can agree I basically used it as a news aggregator as any popular topic moved far too fast, with extremely low quality posts making up the majority of comments to really participate in meaningfully. I spend a lot of time here during the day, and I appreciate that I'm able to keep up with a variety of topics from all 3 boards while also getting a chance to discuss all of the major news that comes out. There's definitely a balance to be had and I don't think it's necessarily true that having a million users results in a better forum experience.

I don't even comment on the Era banning approach. It's honestly a caricature of what a forum should be at this point, and I can only shake my head sadly at it.

Papa

Banned

The thing about heated arguments is that they're not the end of the world as they allow the truth to be said, which then allows the underlying problems to be addressed. Silencing them to maintain an interim appearance of civility actually undermines civility in the long run as the problems just fester and people have to lie to themselves to avoid conflict. We're all better off if we can argue, get the issues out in the open, solve them, then be friends at the end of the day.

Can I just say it's a little ironic that the most active thread on Neogaf is the one about ResetEra? Anyway, I still come here from time to time. I'm way less worried about being banned here for basically nothing like I am at ResetEra. It makes me afraid to post anything because I don't know what "justifies" a ban over there.

Well there is such a thing as morbid curiosity. Haven't you noticed anytime you've been driving down the road and you happen to pass by the rotting carcass of a dead dog that was run over by a car? Don't you just WANT to look? You probably can' t help but look, even if it might disgust you, right? That's why we talk about resetera. Resetera is like a dead dog that has been run over, and over, and over, by a semi, and whose entrails now resemble red and pink mashed potatoes. That is resetera. But the difference between resetera and all that road kill, is that somewhere, lying deep within the gore now stuck to the pavement, is some shred of respectability. Resetera can't even manage that.

w74Wd27.jpg

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

What is the irony in this case?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's sadder on resetera because no one can talk about that website or banhammer will be dropped. :messenger_beaming:

They can, you just gotta use generic terms like "the other site" or "the old place" and also be friendly with the mods and their little minions.

woigemok

Banned
Yeah, but people are obviously a little butt hurt that most of the users here went over there...and then there's a topic here about Resetera and it's the most popular thing on the site. Like "hey you guys! we hate this thing so much! lets make it the most popular thing on this website!" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony
I failed to see any of it :messenger_dizzy: the fact that OP created this topic to discuss something forbidden from resetera is far from your irony definition :messenger_horns:

Papa

Banned
People here seem to *HATE* Resetera but the forum topic here about Resetera is the most active one? What's hard to understand?

Depends on the timescale you want to look at. It's the longest running because it has an infinite amount of source material, but it's definitely not the most active on a daily basis. Political topics get far more posts per day but they run out of gas once the news cycle updates and everyone moves on to the next political topic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I browse both:

- GAF for OT and some random gaming stuff
- Era for news

I don't post as much nowadays though. I'd rather play games, hehe.

Btw, I miss my old title here in GAF.

Last edited:
I failed to see any of it :messenger_dizzy: the fact that OP created this topic to discuss something forbidden from resetera is far from your irony definition :messenger_horns:
The topic was created here because ResetEra was down due to a redesign* :messenger_rocket::messenger_bicep::messenger_ghost::messenger_alien:

edit: forgot dope emojis or whatever

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
When I joined RE I thought it was like a more tolerant neogaf with warnings instead of instabans.

The problem is that that is not what their userbase wants. They have a required mindset for their users, if your checklist of mandatory opinions is incomplete you're not wanted. Unorthodox thought is not allowed.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the timescale you want to look at. It's the longest running because it has an infinite amount of source material, but it's definitely not the most active on a daily basis. Political topics get far more posts per day but they run out of gas once the news cycle updates and everyone moves on to the next political topic.

That in itself is sad. That political topics get the most action on a fucking video game site. Not that the other place is any better.

Online gaming discussion is pretty much dead. I’ve been a heavy poster on game forums for over 20 years. I think this month will be the end for me and I’m setting getting the fuck off the internet as my sole resolution for next year. It’s just too much drama and long sense stopped being escapist fun.

Papa

Banned
That in itself is sad. That political topics get the most action on a fucking video game site. Not that the other place is any better.

Online gaming discussion is pretty much dead. I’ve been a heavy poster on game forums for over 20 years. I think this month will be the end for me and I’m setting getting the fuck off the internet as my sole resolution for next year. It’s just too much drama and long sense stopped being escapist fun.

I agree it is sad that political topics get the most attention on a video game forum, but that's not a function of GAF itself and I think you need to look harder at the root cause: gaming media. I've noticed that, apart from a handful of users who seem to care about nothing else but politics, most here would rather politics just go away altogether so we can focus on games. Problem is, the gaming media are infested with politics, and most gamers are having it shoved down their throats against their will. What are they supposed to do when the majority of the gaming media outlets discuss nothing but social justice KPIs and prominent developers like DICE want to rewrite history for spurious reasons and then tell gamers how awful they are for not buying in? Don't blame the gamers pushing back against politics in video games; blame the ideologues forcing it in the first place. The flavour of discussion in here is a reflection of the issues out there.

Maybe quitting discussion forums is the best option for you right now, because I've noticed that you spend a lot of time complaining about it and not really contributing as I know you can. Personally, I'm just enjoying GAF for what it is right now: a place that you can freely speak your mind and tell the ideologues to take a hike. I find it so refreshing after the last 5 or so years of bullshit. If that doesn't suit you and you're not willing to help rebuild it to what you want it to be, I'm not sure what else to say.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I agree it is sad that political topics get the most attention on a video game forum, but that's not a function of GAF itself and I think you need to look harder at the root cause: gaming media. I've noticed that, apart from a handful of users who seem to care about nothing else but politics, most here would rather politics just go away altogether so we can focus on games. Problem is, the gaming media are infested with politics, and most gamers are having it shoved down their throats against their will. What are they supposed to do when the majority of the gaming media outlets discuss nothing but social justice KPIs and prominent developers like DICE want to rewrite history for spurious reasons and then tell gamers how awful they are for not buying in? Don't blame the gamers pushing back against politics in video games; blame the ideologues forcing it in the first place. The flavour of discussion in here is a reflection of the issues out there.

Maybe quitting discussion forums is the best option for you right now, because I've noticed that you spend a lot of time complaining about it and not really contributing as I know you can. Personally, I'm just enjoying GAF for what it is right now: a place that you can freely speak your mind and tell the ideologues to take a hike. I find it so refreshing after the last 5 or so years of bullshit. If that doesn't suit you and you're not willing to help rebuild it to what you want it to be, I'm not sure what else to say.

Fair assessment all around.

And you’re right about me. I just don’t enjoy internet anymore. I’m out. The only user names I have anywhere are this one here and a few other places and mooshie78 on Era and a few other places. If you see either ever post again give me a virtual kick in the taint for my lapse in self control.

Otherwise, I’m going to put my energy in to the real world. Peace out.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Get ready to get beat up by a woman scrubs lover. You gonna be a floating head by the time I'm done with you.
See your avatar?

That is what you will be doing when im done with you.

You big meanie.

This is sad that a resetera thread is the number one topic here.
So, what's your solution? Make a thread about something from yourself, or stating things?

Papa

Banned
Fair assessment all around.

And you’re right about me. I just don’t enjoy internet anymore. I’m out. The only user names I have anywhere are this one here and a few other places and mooshie78 on Era and a few other places. If you see either ever post again give me a virtual kick in the taint for my lapse in self control.

Otherwise, I’m going to put my energy in to the real world. Peace out.

Safe travels mate, go enjoy that world out there 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom