• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here practice martial arts? Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gantz

Banned
Anyone here practice? I'm really interested in getting into martial arts classes. Mostly for the discipline and strength building. How do I find a good school and importantly a good instructor? Are there any difference between Asian and non-Asian instructors? Any advice would be great. I live in NYC btw.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Be prepared.

The regimine to become a Black Belt in Kung Fu (friend of mine just completed it) is insane. I was like 'you're kidding right...?'

Here are two tips.

1) Get in shape before hand. Condition yourself. Get a head start.

2) Learn what makes each fighting style different. Some are very grapple-centric, while others thrive off of countering or strikes.

3) Sparring. Not all Dojos do this. The more expensive ones do. Sparring is important. You will get your ass bust something terrible. But it's good for you.

If you are into long-term health and mental benefits I would take a Chinese form such as Ba Gua, Hsing-I, or Tai Chi. They are less concerned with belts, tournaments, and such. Finding a good Ba Gua instructor is difficult in experience though.

NLB2

Banned
Gantz said:
Anyone here practice? I'm really interested in getting into martial arts classes. Mostly for the discipline and strength building. How do I find a good school and importantly a good instructor? Are there any difference between Asian and non-Asian instructors? Any advice would be great. I live in NYC btw.
http://www.newyorkjj.com/
cross training>BJJ>*
3) Sparring. Not all Dojos do this. The more expensive ones do. Sparring is important. You will get your ass bust something terrible. But it's good for you.
IAWTP and this is one of the benefits of training in BJJ. The vast majority of class time is sparring at or near 100%. Its not like in boxing or kyokushin were when you spar hard you get bloodied up.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
What discipline were you thinking of studying? Also, you do know that the phrase "martial arts" isn't exclusive to Asians, right? Meaning, it makes no difference what the race of your instructor is.

Personally, I've been wanting to take a class in jiu-jitsu for some time but I have neither the ambition, money, or health necessary.

NLB2

Banned
Minotauro said:
What discipline were you thinking of studying? Also, you do know that the phrase "martial arts" isn't exclusive to Asians, right? Meaning, it makes no difference what the race of your instructor is.

Personally, I've been wanting to take a class in jiu-jitsu for some time but I have neither the ambition, money, or health necessary.
Do it for your namesake! (I wish Pride had five round fights for championship. Fedor was gassed!)

Gantz

Banned
Minotauro said:

Well I'm interested in Martial Arts from Asia. I'm not sure what dicipline though.

NLB2

Banned
Raxel said:
For discipline and strength, you can't go wrong with shotokan/okinawan karate. They are pretty "robotic" fighting styles though, in that they lack the free flow exchanges of wing chun and the other chinese martial arts.
If you're gonna go with karate go with kyokushin. This is coming from someone who spent seven years studying shotokan only to get his ass beat in his first fight. Shotokan's sparring is based on contact. If you hit someone with a punch, you get points so the techniques you learn are all about getting quick strikes on your opponent that don't neccesarily do anything. Too much back fist and side snap kick. Not enough straight punch (which is a very good technique in karate) and roundhouse kick.

NLB2

Banned
Gantz said:
Well I'm interested in Martial Arts from Asia. I'm not sure what dicipline though.
BJJ is the Gracie families bastardization of jiu jitsu, which is japanese. Also, the most effective striking martial art is Muay Thai, from Thailand.

Minotauro

NLB2 said:
Do it for your namesake! (I wish Pride had five round fights for championship. Fedor was gassed!)

Heh, if only I was run over by a car when I was a child...maybe I'd have half his drive! Actually, I guess that doesn't explain his brother...

That match was pretty heart-breaking. Fedor just has his number. While he may have been somewhat gassed, he was never in danger. I think the only possibility of Fedor losing is knockout. He simply isn't going to be submitted.

NLB2

Banned
Minotauro said:
I think the only possibility of Fedor losing is knockout. He simply isn't going to be submitted.
I agree that Fedor completely dominated Nog, but I doubt he'll ever be able to finish him. Nog's chin is insane and in a Royce vs. Sakuraba style fight I think Nog could gas Fedor enough to sink a triangle or some other sub from the guard. Nog needs some wrestling though. His take downs are terrible.

Boogie

LMAO @ Gantz being concerned with the ethnicity of his instructors.

How about you tell us why you want to train martial arts before we waste any more time giving you our advice? :p

And damn you NLB2 and Minotauro! I haven't seen the event yet! :p

Ah well, Fedor won, then? Excellent.

NLB2

Banned
Yeah, but there were some really crazy things that happened in the other fights. Ryan lost and Yoshida absolutely embarassed Rulon. After some crappy striking, they clinched and Yosh jumped for guard from which he was able to sub Rulon with a DOUBLE ARMBAR in all of about 30 seconds. It was a sad night for the Gracie family and for Team Quest. Oh, and Randleman got lucky again :-(.

Gantz said:

My best advice to you would be first and formost do some research on the many different forms of martial arts that are out there from boxing to karate to what ever

then after all that research and you found the one that fits with you best, do research on finding a good dojo

because honestly the "best" style will be absolute shit to you if your training at a McDojo

basically what I'm saying is that if this is something you really want to do and do RIGHT then do the research first

there's alot of great websites out there

www.bullshido.com is good especially for finding out if a dojo your interested in is a McDojo or not, I just find them to be a bit hmmmm I guess one would say snobbish or snotty towards styles that they aren't training in, while there's alot of information to be found on the site, there's also an assload of ignorant people filling their forums

www.e-budo.com is probably the best site out there for getting information on Japanese style martial arts, and most everyone there on their forums is very respectfull towards all styles and what not

Honestly the best thing you can do is just research research research

doing a month of research now can save you a few months of training in a style that isnt for you or from ending up in a mcdojo

there's alot of great styles out there I wish you luck with which ever one you pick

Jim Bowie

I've taken classes from two English instructors and one Japanese instructor and I can tell you that there is absolutely NO difference in teacher quality. The only deciding factor is the actual ability of the teacher, no racial benefits either way.

I would suggest sitting in and watching a class taught by the school's namesake instructor, or possibly the head instructor.

Minotauro

NLB2 said:
Yeah, but there were some really crazy things that happened in the other fights. Ryan lost and Yoshida absolutely embarassed Rulon. After some crappy striking, they clinched and Yosh jumped for guard from which he was able to sub Rulon with a DOUBLE ARMBAR in all of about 30 seconds. It was a sad night for the Gracie family and for Team Quest. Oh, and Randleman got lucky again :-(.

Heh, you're cruel.

effzee

I've been to many dojos and haven't one better than Fuji Ryu Jujutsu. They teach both traditional and modern techniques. I won't say anymore about it, here is there website http://fujiryu.com/home.html go check out them out if u get a chance. You'll be amazed.

Boogie

effzee said:
I've been to many dojos and haven't one better than Fuji Ryu Jujutsu. They teach both traditional and modern techniques. I won't say anymore about it, here is there website http://fujiryu.com/home.html go check out them out if u get a chance. You'll be amazed.

Well, I wasn't that impressed from the website. Certainly not from the self defence videos where the attacker starts out by touching the top of the dude's head :lol

effzee

Boogie said:
Well, I wasn't that impressed from the website. Certainly not from the self defence videos where the attacker starts out by touching the top of the dude's head :lol
He's demonstrating the technique, like i said go there, and than judge it.

Boogie

effzee said:
He's demonstrating the technique, like i said go there, and than judge it.

Well, I live in Toronto, so for me to visit a dojo in New York, it's just not quite feasible. :p

But from what I see on the website, it's not that amazing. I mean, they specifically say that they focus on possible "multiple attacker" scenarios, and yet I see no training of striking in all of their pictures and videos, which would logically be the best defence against multiple attackers if you don't want to go to the ground, like their website claims.

NLB2

Banned
karasu said:
There are NO superior martial arts.
Watch UFCs 1-4.

There are superior martial arts and I don't understand how someone can disagree with that.

How on earth can boxing be equal to kickboxing when kickboxing has all of the techniques of boxing plus additional techniques that are effective. Mirko Cro Cop will ko any boxer he faces in his weight class 9 times out of ten. Its not because he's a better athelete (though he may well be), its because some martial arts are superior to others.

And how many times have you seen someone who is a straight up striker take out someone who practices MMA? The vast majority of the time you see a fight between an mma fighter and a striker, the mmaer takes the striker down and completely beats the shit out of the striker. Why? Because the striker doesn't know what to do in situations outside of stand-up and perhaps clinch fighting while the mmaer knows how to handle both stand-up and ground fighting.

Gantz

Banned
Boogie said:
Perhaps not, but there are inferior martial arts schools.

Or at least, misleading martial arts schools.

See now why I'm weary of non-asian instructors teaching at martial arts schools.? :lol

Boogie

Gantz said:
See now why I'm weary of non-asian instructors teaching at martial arts schools.? :lol

No, I don't, quite frankly :p

I'd really like you to spit out why you're hung up on this "Asian"-thing. I think you've been watching way too many kung-fu movies.

Many of the best martial arts instructors in the world aren't Asians. Asians do not have some monopoly on martial arts skill.

NLB2

Banned
Gantz said:
Ugh...
If we look at proffesional fighters, the only good Asian ones come from Japan, and, aside from a few such as Sakuraba, Gomi, and Kawajiri, they generally aren't great. The best fighters in the wrold are guys like Fedor Emelianenko (Russian), Antonio Rodrgio Nogueira aka Minotauro (Brazilian), Randy Couture (American), Mirko Cro Cop (Croatian), Wanderlie Silva (Brazilian), BJ Penn (Hawaiin). Not only that, but the most dominant country in fighting is not Japan, but Brazil (or perhaps the states). Where someones from really doesn't matter in determining whether someone's a good figher or instructor.

effzee

But from what I see on the website, it's not that amazing. I mean, they specifically say that they focus on possible "multiple attacker" scenarios, and yet I see no training of striking in all of their pictures and videos, which would logically be the best defence against multiple attackers if you don't want to go to the ground, like their website claims.
Well I've seen many black belt tests at that dojo with multiple attacks and they were very intense and done through fast strikes. They however still teach many other techniques to the students, grappling and throwing being a few, just so the students are very well rounded off. Anyways, you can believe what you want from the video, it doesn't matter either way.

Gantz, your in NYC? I'm in NYC. I go to Renzo's. Very nice school. Level of Jiu Jitsu player there is ultra high, tough guys all around. Very nice though. Its not so much a place of instruction as it is a gym. But hang around a bit, and you'll dig it. I've been to Machado reps and Judo dojos, but I ended up coming back to Renzo's because I felt the place was great enough. They also have a boxing and Thai boxing coach. I haven't worked with them, but plan to in the future.

If you want something different, you might want to check out David Bond Chan. He teaches internal martial arts. I trained with him for two years, and he knows his shit like no other. Best hands I've ever seen. I didn't like most of the students there, and its a very traditional atmosphere, but Chan is unique as far as traditional people go. Chan spent 8 years in Gleasons gym, and he'll throw down with anyone. Mans power is immense, and I credit with him to opening my eyes to reality in martial arts in general. He really taught me allot about boxing, and internal arts. Great, great teacher if your interested in striking and body mechanics. He can teach you how to generate power, defend, and punch very hard and clean. His internal exercies are great for your health too. He's also great with weapons too, he took on another sword teacher a few months back and the guy had a stick made out of heavy wood. Not a light bamboo shinai like Chan used. Chan still beat his ass.

No bullshit forms, just show me mentality. His martial arts keep me alive in the clinch, and allow me to get my sprawls off as well help me try and balance out fighting a taller man in striking. Conditoning isn't stressed there, so you'll have to do it on your own. He's just a teacher, and you won't get nearly the workout there (although it can be tough) that you would at other places. Also, some of the students are delusional...and Chan can be stubborn at times, although I really respect him and he gets my hearty recommendation.

Oishi's Judo is said to be off the hook if your interested in Judo. If I didn't have Renzo's, I'd go to Oishi's. Its a tad expensive, but so is Renzos and in this city you get what you pay for. I went there and the conditoning drills they did were insane. Tough club, no doubt.

Biwako Judo dojo is hella cheap, but the quality of player there isn't very high and they have kids running alla round. Still, its a place to learn Judo and you get some guys who are VERY good who like to train there to suppliment there other schools time.

Good luck.

Gantz

Banned
Boogie said:
No, I don't, quite frankly :p

I'd really like you to spit out why you're hung up on this "Asian"-thing. I think you've been watching way too many kung-fu movies.

Many of the best martial arts instructors in the world aren't Asians. Asians do not have some monopoly on martial arts skill.

Like I said I'm interested in Asian martial arts only. I've seen too many McDojos run by some smuck thinks he can open a dojo because he got a black belt.. I want to learn from true masters who will give a rigorous and dedicated training. Find me a good one in NYC and I'll go check it out.

NLB2

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:
I go to Renzo's. Very nice school.
I didn't realize Renzo taught in NYC. You should definitely go there. Biff, didn't Renzo win Pan Ams five times in a row or something insane like that?
Gantz said:
Like I said I'm interested in Asian martial arts only. I've seen too many McDojos run by some smuck thinks he can open a dojo because he got a black belt.. I want to learn from true masters who will give a rigorous and dedicated training. Find me a good one in NYC and I'll go check it out.
Why are you interested in only Asian martial arts?

Boogie

effzee said:
Well I've seen many black belt tests at that dojo with multiple attacks and they were very intense and done through fast strikes. They however still teach many other techniques to the students, grappling and throwing being a few, just so the students are very well rounded off. Anyways, you can believe what you want from the video, it doesn't matter either way.

Yeah, and I'm sure that all of those intense multiple attacks were pre-set defences which these guys had practices ad nauseum. :p

Gantz said:

That's great, but none of that requires your teacher to be an Asian :p

effzee

Oh that reminds me the martial arts place i recommended is not taught by any asians, so you know just given you a heads up.

Yeah, and I'm sure that all of those intense multiple attacks were pre-set defences which these guys had practices ad nauseum. :p
Rag on it all you want, there is no way you can come down here to see it so what can I say, you believe what you want to.

Boogie

Biff Hardbody said:
Gantz, your in NYC? I'm in NYC. I go to Renzo's. Very nice school. Level of Jiu Jitsu player there is ultra high, tough guys all around. Very nice though. Its not so much a place of instruction as it is a gym. But hang around a bit, and you'll dig it. I've been to Machado reps and Judo dojos, but I ended up coming back to Renzo's because I felt the place was great enough. They also have a boxing and Thai boxing coach. I haven't worked with them, but plan to in the future.

If you want something different, you might want to check out David Bond Chan. He teaches internal martial arts. I trained with him for two years, and he knows his shit like no other. Best hands I've ever seen. I didn't like most of the students there, and its a very traditional atmosphere, but Chan is unique as far as traditional people go. Chan spent 8 years in Gleasons gym, and he'll throw down with anyone. Mans power is immense, and I credit with him to opening my eyes to reality in martial arts in general. He really taught me allot about boxing, and internal arts. Great, great teacher if your interested in striking and body mechanics. He can teach you how to generate power, defend, and punch very hard and clean. His internal exercies are great for your health too. He's also great with weapons too, he took on another sword teacher a few months back and the guy had a stick made out of heavy wood. Not a light bamboo shinai like Chan used. Chan still beat his ass.

No bullshit forms, just show me mentality. His martial arts keep me alive in the clinch, and allow me to get my sprawls off as well help me try and balance out fighting a taller man in striking. Conditoning isn't stressed there, so you'll have to do it on your own. He's just a teacher, and you won't get nearly the workout there (although it can be tough) that you would at other places. Also, some of the students are delusional...and Chan can be stubborn at times, although I really respect him and he gets my hearty recommendation.

Oishi's Judo is said to be off the hook if your interested in Judo. If I didn't have Renzo's, I'd go to Oishi's. Its a tad expensive, but so is Renzos and in this city you get what you pay for. I went there and the conditoning drills they did were insane. Tough club, no doubt.

Biwako Judo dojo is hella cheap, but the quality of player there isn't very high and they have kids running alla round. Still, its a place to learn Judo and you get some guys who are VERY good who like to train there to suppliment there other schools time.

Good luck.

Seriously though, I recommend whatever Biff recommends ;)

karasu

NLB2 said:
Watch UFCs 1-4.

There are superior martial arts and I don't understand how someone can disagree with that.

How on earth can boxing be equal to kickboxing when kickboxing has all of the techniques of boxing plus additional techniques that are effective. Mirko Cro Cop will ko any boxer he faces in his weight class 9 times out of ten. Its not because he's a better athelete (though he may well be), its because some martial arts are superior to others.

And how many times have you seen someone who is a straight up striker take out someone who practices MMA? The vast majority of the time you see a fight between an mma fighter and a striker, the mmaer takes the striker down and completely beats the shit out of the striker. Why? Because the striker doesn't know what to do in situations outside of stand-up and perhaps clinch fighting while the mmaer knows how to handle both stand-up and ground fighting.

I don't need to watch anything dude(though I've seen them). I think you may watch too much competetive stuff and because of that you seem to associate a styles validity with a specific fighters stats, and that's absurd. How can boxing be equal to kickboxing? The boxer might connect with his right cross before the kickboxer does with his kao drong. It isn't all about the arts, it's about the fighters and who best exploits the moment . It always will be. All kickboxers aren't Cro Cop, therefore all kickboxers won't have his level of development, meaning all kickboxers won't KO boxers just because they're familair with a boxer's techniques. Many a kickboxer has been knocked the fuck out by a boxer, and vice versa. If you're gonna say that Style Y is the reason for a fighters victory over an opponent using Style Z, then you're saying that style Y will always overcome style Z. But reality doesn't work that way. With any system you study, your mileage may vary. Where Shotokan failed you, it succeeded for another.

Well, if your interested in Asian's only the best in NYC is without a doubt the man I spoke about before, David Bond Chan. He's fucking awesome. However, to limit yourself and say you only want to learn from Asians may be getting you into the mcdojo mentality you wish to stay away from. Ask Chan himself what he thinks about most Kung Fu masters. Hell, this guy is a lineage holder in Ba Gua, Hsing I, and Tai Chi, and he's told me he'd rather send his kids to Judo or Karate then the Kung Fu teachers around now.

I agree with him. I spent 5 years in Kung Fu practicing my ass off as a teen, and it didn't do shit for me when I fought in competative, contact sports. Well, it did give me better balance. However, it wasn't Kung Fu's fault. It was the teachers I had in silk pajama's masquerading as great fighters and hiding behind my false assumption that their being Chinese menat they were great fighters. Believe me, they cash in on that shit. Chan is the only Kung Fu man I've met in NYC who's a certified badass. I've heard good things about others, but when I went to them they sucked the proverbial wang. I'm not going to name names, but I've been to a ton of Asian schools in NYC and they did not have practical fighting skill. There are some I have not been to that have good reps though, so I won't say Chan's the only one. Just the only one I can recommend.

I honestly recommend you open your mind, because it really isn't about styles but the way you train and the training enviroment itself. Find one that is positive, one that suits you. Make sure it has decent training partners who genuinely want to improve. A good coach is nice too. If you get all that it doesn't matter wtf you study, you'll be a good fighter.

NLB, I honestly don't know how many times Renzo won the pan ams, a bunch though. I've only met him once, a long time ago. I mostly go to morning/afternoon classes and he teaches in the evening. The thing is, the quality of player there is so fucking high it doesn't matter. I've said it before to guys there, "even if your the worst here, your probably the best in most other places". Very nice people there too. Beautiful facilities.

Gantz, if you don't feel like the heavily competative setting is for you, I could recommend two more schools. Dan Gonzalez is a black belt in Jiu Jitsu under Carlos Machado, and I studied privately with him for a few months. He's a former goverment agent, and is also good at striking, knives, ecd. Great, great guy and an amazing teacher. His sweeps and positonal theory saved my ass more then once when sparring guys who wanted to hurt. I'm not sure if he still teaches privately though.

If Aikido is your bag, check out New York Aikikai. I studied Aikido briefly there. Aikido isn't my bag, baby. But, its one of the better Aikido schools I went to.

Finally, you might want to check out Sambo at the NYKK gym and under Steve. He has a relatively small class, but he holds nothing back and I enjoyed the class I took there.

All these men I recommend are people I've actually trained with and not just heard about. There ar eother good ones I know of, but I won't recommend without setting foot and training there.

Thanks Boogie.

Gantz said:

that makes no fucking sense

there are just as many McDojo's from schools with asian instructors as schools with non-asian instructors

weither some one is asian or not has no effect on their ability to learn a martial art and teach it

now do some reasearch and stop with stupid ass comments like this

Biff Hardbody said:
If Aikido is your bag, check out New York Aikikai. I studied Aikido briefly there. Aikido isn't my bag, baby. But, its one of the better Aikido schools I went to.

New York Aikikai is a great Dojo, both Yamada Sensei and Segano (spelling) Sensei were direct students of Ueshiba (the founder of aikido for those that don't know)

Biff Hardbody said:
I honestly recommend you open your mind, because it really isn't about styles but the way you train and the training enviroment itself. Find one that is positive, one that suits you. Make sure it has decent training partners who genuinely want to improve. A good coach is nice too. If you get all that it doesn't matter wtf you study, you'll be a good fighter.

just quoteing this for emphasis because every word in it is correct

Biff Hardbody said:
I liked Sugano when I was there years ago. He was very nice and had very crisp technique.

he recently had his one leg amputated due to complications with diabetese (spelling?) I believe and has an artificial one and I think most people would be hard pressed to tell he still moves just so well

I went to a seminar of his, really good stuff from him

NLB2

Banned
karasu said:
How can boxing be equal to kickboxing? The boxer might connect with his right cross before the kickboxer does with his kao drong.
Of course a boxer can ktfo a kickboxer. And someone throwing nothing but right crosses can ktfo of a boxer who is using all of his techniques however that doesn't mean right cross do is as good of a martial art as boxing. It obviously isn't.
Karasu said:
It isn't all about the arts, it's about the fighters and who best exploits the moment . It always will be.
You're right. It isn't all about the art. Hell, eve a good shotokan karateka or wing chun practioner will posibly beat a good boxer. However a boxer of equal size and skill level will beat the karateka or wing chun practioner the vast majority of the time.
karasu said:
All kickboxers aren't Cro Cop, therefore all kickboxers won't have his level of development, meaning all kickboxers won't KO boxers just because they're familair with a boxer's techniques. Many a kickboxer has been knocked the fuck out by a boxer, and vice versa.
Once again I agree with you. Your average kickboxer is going to most likely die if he fights Klitschko. However if you put a kickboxer and a boxer of equal size and skill in a ring, the kickboxer will win the majority of the time.
karasu said:
If you're gonna say that Style Y is the reason for a fighters victory over an opponent using Style Z, then you're saying that style Y will always overcome style Z.
I never said always. I said the majority of the time. And I still don't understand how you can believe that all martial arts are equal. When was the last time you saw a pure boxer win in mma? Or a pure wrestlre? or a pure judoka or a pure thai boxer or a pure jiu jitsuka? Its like you are that one pope who looked through the telescope and just refused to believe what he saw when he was being shown the moons of Jupiter.

Shin Johnpv said:
he recently had his one leg amputated due to complications with diabetese (spelling?) I believe and has an artificial one and I think most people would be hard pressed to tell he still moves just so well

I went to a seminar of his, really good stuff from him

Holy shit, really? I'll have to stop by and take a class with him, just to see him move. Amazing. Thanks for the info!

Stop that, it'll go to his head ;P

Too late!!! :D

Shin Johnpv said:
check out here http://www.nyaikikai.com/sugano.htm# and then click on the news thing to read about it all

but yeah it's impressive to see him still move so well and he has a fake leg

I just read all that and looked at the photos. What a man. Again, thanks for letting me know about this. Really impressive.

Gantz, if you disregard Biff's advice you're a fucking idiot. So do so.

You speak only regulated in the logic ,and grownded in the reason. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom