• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here practice martial arts? Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLB2

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:
You speak only regulated in the logic ,and grownded in the reason. :D
:lol :lol :lol
Biff - you are my favorite poster after matlock. you are awesome, sir. :)

effzee

Nice! Well if you get time, check out the Fuji Ryu Dojo in the Bronx. I've personally trained there and my friend currently teaches there. I think you'll really like it. Its very intense and even though most people don't end up staying more than a few months because its too hard, the really dedicated people are the only ones left.

karasu

NLB2 said:
. And I still don't understand how you can believe that all martial arts are equal. When was the last time you saw a pure boxer win in mma? Or a pure wrestlre? or a pure judoka or a pure thai boxer or a pure jiu jitsuka? Its like you are that one pope who looked through the telescope and just refused to believe what he saw when he was being shown the moons of Jupiter.

I believe all martial arts are equal because I've trained, competed against and learned from a wide variety of systems over the past 22 years. Experience tells me they're equal, not tv shows, movies, or professional competitions. Why are you talking about a competition? Most MMA events have rules, just like competitive boxing, and because of that I don't know of many pure boxers(good ones) who compete in major MMA events simply because teh rules don't fit their fancy. And besides, major MMA competition represents a very small percentage of the martial arts community(that's not a diss at all. I've competed in MMA on a local level and if I wouldn't have been injured in daily life I'd still be fighting). It's like imagining that all who practice boxing are top ranked professionals.You're talking about professional athletes/fighters and who they may or may not match up against. I'm talking the streets, and simple logic. Styles don't make the man, the man makes the style. The style doesn't fail you, you fail yourself or you're simply outmatched. Who wins what competition has nothing to do with day to day living, unless you're the guy who won or the guy who lost. Silva doesn't think Muay Thai makes him great, Silva thinks he is great at Muay Thai.. Sakuraba didn't lose to silva because silva mixes Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu , he's beaten people who use those styles before. He lost because Silva is Silva (and also because he's way too big for him lol). Thinking that it's the styles, is ridiculous and totally divorced from reality. In a real fight nobody cares what style you do, everybody is capable of hurting everybody else. It's more about your timing, your reflexes, your state of mind, your tenacity, power, and any oither attribute you can name. You get out of it what you put into it.

effzee said:
Nice! Well if you get time, check out the Fuji Ryu Dojo in the Bronx. I've personally trained there and my friend currently teaches there. I think you'll really like it. Its very intense and even though most people don't end up staying more than a few months because its too hard, the really dedicated people are the only ones left.

Thanks very much for the invite, I sincerely appreciate it. I'll make sure to stop there if I ever get down to the Bronx. :) If your ever in Manhattan, hit me up via pm. Renzo's is a great place to train.

NLB2

Banned
karasu said:
Experience tells me they're equal, not tv shows, movies, or professional competitions. Why are you talking about a competition? Most MMA events have rules, just like competitive boxing, and because of that I don't know of many pure boxers(good ones) who compete in major MMA events simply because teh rules don't fit their fancy.
And likewise an MMA fighter doesn't compete in boxing because boxing rules don't fit an mma fighter and the mma fighter would get ktfo. However MMA rules are closer to a no holds bars experience than boxing. That is, MMA is closer to being a fight than boxing.
Styles don't make the man, the man makes the style. The style doesn't fail you, you fail yourself or you're simply outmatched. Who wins what competition has nothing to do with day to day living, unless you're the guy who won or the guy who lost. Silva doesn't think Muay Thai makes him great, Silva thinks he is great at Muay Thai.. Sakuraba didn't lose to silva because silva mixes Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu , he's beaten people who use those styles before. He lost because Silva is Silva (and also because he's way too big for him lol). Thinking that it's the styles, is ridiculous and totally divorced from reality. In a real fight nobody cares what style you do, everybody is capable of hurting everybody else. It's more about your timing, your reflexes, your state of mind, your tenacity, power, and any oither attribute you can name. You get out of it what you put into it.
Yeah, Sakuraba, an MMA fighter lost to Silva who is a better MMA fighter. Sakuraba isn't a wrestler and Silva isn't a thai boxer - they're both MMA fighters and Silva is the better one. However you can bet your ass that if Silva hadn't been an MMA fighter and had been only a thai boxer that the outcome would be very, very different. Why is this? Because it doesn't matter how much Muay Thai you train - if you don't know shit about takedown defense, a wrestler will take you down. And this is what would've happened to Silva if he'd been a thai boxer instead of a MMA fighter.

karasu

NLB2 said:
And likewise an MMA fighter doesn't compete in boxing because boxing rules don't fit an mma fighter and the mma fighter would get ktfo. However MMA rules are closer to a no holds bars experience than boxing. That is, MMA is closer to being a fight than boxing.

Yeah, Sakuraba, an MMA fighter lost to Silva who is a better MMA fighter. Sakuraba isn't a wrestler and Silva isn't a thai boxer - they're both MMA fighters and Silva is the better one. However you can bet your ass that if Silva hadn't been an MMA fighter and had been only a thai boxer that the outcome would be very, very different. Why is this? Because it doesn't matter how much Muay Thai you train - if you don't know shit about takedown defense, a wrestler will take you down. And this is what would've happened to Silva if he'd been a thai boxer instead of a MMA fighter.

"MMA fighter" isn't a style. Most people crosstrain, if only because most styles are mixed and have been that way for centuries. As far as MMA being closer toa real fight than boxing, yeah...right. That's marketing. Chances are that in the streets, you're more likely to fight someone who is closer to a boxer than they are a Mixed Martial Artist. I've been in a lot of fights, and maybe four people had some kind of martial arts experience. Your chances of fighting a highly skilled BJJ stylist or karateka are slim to none.

NLB2

Banned
karasu said:
As far as MMA being closer toa real fight than boxing, yeah...right. That's marketing. Chances are that in the streets, you're more likely to fight someone who is closer to a boxer than they are a Mixed Martial Artist. I've been in a lot of fights, and maybe four people had some kind of martial arts experience. Your chances of fighting a highly skilled BJJ stylist or karateka are slim to none.
What I mean by this is that in a fight, if you clinch, there's not going to be anyone to break it up and if you kick then you're not going to be disqualified. Just because most people you fought only threw punches (and most likely very bad ones) doesn't mean boxing is closer to a real fight. It just means you only fought bad fighters.
When ever I've been in a fight with someone who showed that they are trying to punch me, I've always shot for a takedown because I'more comfortable on the ground than I am standing up. In boxing I can't do that. In MMA I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom