• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone worried about DriveClub?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's a stunning lack of footage for every next gen launch game not named Assassin's Creed IV and Killer Instinct. You should be worried about all of them.

Why would anyone buy it over GT/FORZA is beyond me.

Because GT and Forza are boring sim racers. Need for Speed is the only alternative for me.

retrobeans

Neo Member
Like everyone's been saying, try if before you buy it if concerned.

I had a blast playing the track @ Eurogamer, convinced me to buy day 1.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
at eurogamer they had a giant 60" showcase screen outside of the PS4 area where they were holding a driveclub time trial or something. it was the only way you could even see the game without queuing for an hour.

they were running motion interpolation to give the impression that it was 60fps.

Oneself

I guess we'll get a lot more infos and stuff about DC starting this week. PS4 will be a month away from release and games are all pretty much going through their last 2 weeks of development...

suedester

Banned
Why would anyone buy it over GT/FORZA is beyond me.

You sound like you've played the final build already. How about a mini review for us? You can even compare it to the other unreleased games GT and Forza if you like as you've also clearly played those.

Killzone has shown improvements with every build. Adding mist, improving particle efdects, stabalizing frame rate etc. And gttv is airing a kz special this friday...

Dc is still nebulous

DC has gone through similar improvements, they've shown three tracks to the public (Scotland, Canada, Peru?), two of which were playable, and another one (India) to press.

Rushy had promised a vid with multiple cars on track a couple of weeks ago that didn't materialise, but maybe they delayed it for a proper promotion push.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Because they would want a arcade racer instead?

Forza, like Gran Turismo, is an arcade racer with enough options to turn it into a passable imitation of a sim game. With enough assists and difficulty options turned down to minimum, there's little difference between them and a standard arcade racer, unless "arcade racer" is being modified to require power ups or crazy crashes or something.

Foshy

I tried the Alpha version 2 weeks ago at an expo, and I have no worries for the full product. Played great, looked good, and the last footage we saw showed even more improvements over that build.

RaikuHebi

Banned
In the words of Jeff from Giantbomb it's just a quick cut title they wanted to get out as GT7 is going to take too long.

It's a stereotypical launch title.

alterno69

Banned
This game isn't on my radar st all, but being a PS+ game means many will try it out. If it's good thr great, if not? Well too bad.

x-Lundz-x

My worry is that the game doesn't seem that fun.

I was hyped as hell for Motorstorm, but I really don't care about a racer with nothing special except pretty graphics.

Yup, I'm not really into racing games at all so it really doesn't appeal to me but when I do get them it's usually something like NFS, and the new one does look fun.

Not worried at all - it's an online 'pick up and play' game at launch - anyone expecting it to have such great depth will be disappointed!

I compare it to PGR3, now that was fun to play, but lacked a lot when compared to the much superior sequel.

It looks awesome, will be fun online, will have many players (due to it being a PS Plus title) and seems to have decent handling too.

I will probably upgrade to the full title if I enjoy it enough - see MS, this is how you get people going digital, buy making the consumer have the choice!

The game looks boring. All the videos I've seen is just one player driving around. Plus I think using real car brands limits the designers imagination. Something in the veins of WipeOut our a sci-fi racer would have been more exciting. There're so many realistic racing games that will put DriveClub to shame because it looks mediocre at best.

Razgreez

So you'll be satisfied with decent?

Both Motorstorm and WRC were really "fun" and, more importantly, challenging games - although Motorstorm's "lap-time specific" AI was a bit silly - which i spent hours upon hours completing. I call them "decent" because they lacked extra features which could have increased the challenge and playtime even further. But the package was so well polished that i didn't feel shortchanged. So yes, that kind of "decent" is very welcome.

DC, like any game, has the opportunity to be abysmal but thanks to PS+ i won't have to pay to find that out. It's win - win.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's quite a bit of Ryse, Forxa 5 and Dead Rising 3 footage out there.

There's lot of footage taken from the same 2 demos. There's still a lot we don't know about those games though compared to the kinds of previews we normally have for games that are 5 weeks away from release.

jgmo870

Banned
No, I'm not worried. With all of their talks about expansions, etc. I'm sure it will be a great game... after a year or two. Which is when I'll have a PS4 so I'm fine.

In the words of Jeff from Giantbomb it's just a quick cut title they wanted to get out as GT7 is going to take too long.

Jeff says plenty of moronic statements. And this is one of them.

The game looks boring. All the videos I've seen is just one player driving around. Plus I think using real car brands limits the designers imagination. Something in the veins of WipeOut our a sci-fi racer would have been more exciting. There're so many realistic racing games that will put DriveClub to shame because it looks mediocre at best.

So many like?

The racing genre has been gutted since the glory days of the PS1/2, then you get idiots who have no interest in racing games acting like there's a plethora of them to choose from!!

add to that the typical "I don't like racing games but I especially don't like DC" responses that seem to happen, and it gets very tedious for anyone that actually enjoys racing games.

GlamFM

Banned
Played it at gamescom and left very unimpressed.

Will get Forza for XBOX ONE and NFS for the PS4 instead.

We havent seen a single gameplay video showing more than one car on screen.
I am guessing the game is 30 fps? They were aiming for 60 fps....
How big are the tracks?
What is the structure of the game?
Have they fixed the graphical problems yet?

This has to be one of the worst hyped racers yet. Evolution keeps showing old builds at events and people keep saying how it looks like GT6. Even though Motorstorm had a poor start (cg trailers and awful looking early builds) the game had transformed into a great looking racer by TGS 2006. Fastforward to TGS 2013, we saw the gamescom build again.

Should Sony delay this game?

It's a typical launch title. For being a completely different genre, it's a lot like what we see with Ryse on Xbox One. Shiny graphics, generic gameplay, and not much media. I think it will still be fun if you go in expecting a standard racer with pretty graphics. If the social features are good, an open world sequel could really be something. I like the art direction in DriveClub a lot, so I'd like to see the franchise live on.

KORNdoggy

if they keep improving it as they have been, then i see no reason to be worried, at least on a technical level. gameplay? who knows. i know it's not the racer of choice for me on either system, NFS rivals looks to be doing more technically becasue it can (it's a crazy, open world, aracade racer with cops and "combat") and it looks more fun. more of the same NFS? yes, but that's all it needs to be imo. driveclub is a bit of a unknown in terms of it's gameplay since we've only seen timetrials with ghosts.

i am worried about evolution though, i remember hearing they where close to being shut down by sony after MS:A. but RC saved them. driveclub...well, it could be the straw that broke the camels back. a new wipeout would have been a safer bet then a slightly charmless street racer imo.

meppi

Jeff says plenty of moronic statements. And this is one of them.

Haha, he sure does.

Gonna grab this one along with Killzone and BF4 on launch, so no, I'm not worried at all.
Those videos who had the girl playing convinced me that this will be lot of fun once you get good at it.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm keen to see the single player campaign as that's core for me - every triple A must have a solid single player game or my money goes elsewhere.

Don't care for the multi-player but will give a bash as Motorstorm was surprisingly fun in that mode.

Krakn3Dfx

PS+ version is a glorified demo.

No. It'll be missing a few cars and tracks, but a large majority of the game will still be there according to the developers. As someone else mentioned, you can platinum the game with the content that comes in the Plus version, so it must be pretty beefy.

It's a stereotypical launch title.

Jeff didn't like Motorstorm, he didn't like GT5, he's openly said he doesn't like any 1st party Sony offerings, he talks about Forza like it's the second coming. It's not too hard to see where his loyalties lie when it comes to consoles. I love GB, but Jeff grates on me.

if they keep improving it as they have been, then i see no reason to be worried, at least on a technical level. gameplay? who knows. i know it's not the racer of choice for me on either system, NFS rivals looks to be doing more technically becasue it can (it's a crazy, open world, aracade racer with cops and "combat") and it looks more fun. more of the same NFS? yes, but that's all it needs to be imo. driveclub is a bit of a unknown in terms of it's gameplay since we've only seen timetrials with ghosts.

i am worried about evolution though, i remember hearing they where close to being shut down by sony after MS:A. but RC saved them. driveclub...well, it could be the straw that broke the camels back. a new wipeout would have been a safer bet then a slightly charmless street racer imo.

Yeah the way they handling this game..it could be evolutions last game.

Showing the time trial with one car over and over hasn't helped them at all. Both Forza and NFS look way more fun than DriveClub

People keep saying how it will have a psn+ version but how many people will subscribe to psn+ on day 1??? How does a psn save this game?

Not worried at all. Motorstorm made huge strides in it last few months of development and I expect this to be no different. Evolution is a good studio.

Cudder

No. It'll be missing a few cars and tracks, but a large majority of the game will still be there according to the developers. As someone else mentioned, you can platinum the game with the content that comes in the Plus version, so it must be pretty beefy.

Now that's interesting, thanks for the info.

H6rdc0re

Banned
With every next gen game I've got the feeling it's rushed. I'm sure with a little more effort every PS4 launch game could have been 1080p native.

Jarnet87

I'll play it with PS+, but I had zero intention of buying it. Dunno how you don't have a racing game ready for launch of a new console. All a developer has to do is make it look shinier then a current gen racer.

LCfiner

I don’t remember Jeff G saying it was a ”quick cut” game, but maybe he did and I forgot.

I do remember him saying that Sony would like to have an exclusive racing game at launch and they knew there was no way to have a GT game ready for PS4 in November 2013. So it would make sense if Evo were to work on one…

Nothing controversial about that, I imagine?

wiggleb0t

Banned
Looks gorgeous, unfortunate to hear somewhere about no weather.... :(please correct me if I'm wrong)
Every ps4 comes with 2 weeks of ps+ so no big deal. Play the 'demo' for 2 weeks to make up your mind.

Hoping to love this for arcade fun & Pcars on PC for sim fun.

Spongebob

Banned
Nah.

Yeah the way they handling this game..it could be evolutions last game.

Showing the time trial with one car over and over hasn't helped them at all. Both Forza and NFS look way more fun than DriveClub

People keep saying how it will have a psn+ version but how many people will subscribe to psn+ on day 1??? How does a psn save this game?
All PS4s come with 14 day PS4 trails...

Top Bottom