• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Zelda Wii U: "I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like OoT was."

Neifirst

I'd just love something combat focused like the original and adventure of link. Less emphasis on puzzles is fine, but more western makes me nervous.

gafneo

Banned
Didn't Aonuma really like far cry 4?

I am hoping they borrow from FC4. Getting around in that game is so quick and intuitive. Probably the best traverse system seen in games. If that is any indication for Zelda U, expect other types of vehicles aside from Epona.

A Zelda to surpass OOT would need to borrow many things from other Zeldas. Think Oracle of Ages and Seasons with evolving time and weather. A vast ammount of iteams and abilities, think Minish Cap. Touch Screen game mechanics, think Spirit Tracks. Go anywhere at anytime approach, think a Link Between Worlds. RPG style progression system, think Zelda 2.

In addition to all this, I think they should have an online Heroes mode where it's so hard that you need other players to help you get past the main and side quests. Maybe not now, but when NX comes around and dlc is implimented.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmm.. I don't remember that (at least in OoT 3D), but I played the game years ago. OoT Castle Town felt more alive than TP Castle Town, that's for sure.

There were market stands for example with huddles of people standing around them but only like one or two of them would talk to you.

Oersted

God damn it, guys, it's a metaphor. He doesn't mean Japanese to Western literally.

It's about how big the difference will be, not WHAT it will be.

He's talking about the change of going from say rice (eastern cuisine) to roast potatoes (western cuisine), that one is different from the other. It's not a literal statement about western influence.

PUT BGBWS POST ON TOP OF YOUR OP.

ARE YOU TELLING ME THEY'RE MAKING ZELDA INTO A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER?!

YES!

Miyamoto about Wind Waker:

"At the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete...I apologise that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull."

Oh wow lol... If he felt parts of wind waker was rushed I don't know what to say.

That is like one of the best (biggest?) Zelda games.

Good stuff

Thud

There were market stands for example with huddles of people standing around them but only like one or two of them would talk to you.

I felt like there were more people after fixing the bridge, but maybe it was a different time?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm hoping for a re-imagination of the progress-by-items system. I think the franchise could do with a soft reboot here tbh. I don't necessarily think the renting system from ALBW is the way to go. I'm not sure what is the way to go, haha. I just hope it'll be fun.

I'll be very surprised if they manage to come up with anything as ground breaking as Ocarina of Time was again though.

Since before TP I've been advocating that they go to a simpler item system. Focusing on depth of items rather than breadth. Progress-by-items has worked in the past, but it's gotten quite tiring and predictable in recent entries.

With Zelda U being the first true open world game in the series it would be nice if they really went all out in developing and exploiting that sense of exploration and accomplishment by allowing for as much non-linear progression as possible.

A good way of doing that in my mind is to introduce a core set of items to the player that will all be utilized a great deal throughout the game and rely more on the player's utilization of them rather than obvious and limited applications. If we could get all the main items, say by the 1/3 mark of the game, and instead of say ~9 or so usable items as most previous games have had, we instead have ~5 main items that can do a lot and be used almost anywhere that would be fantastic.

I want the game to give me tools that I can really experiment with and utilize in a multitude of ways. Both in and out of combat. From dealing with enemies, to solving puzzles to exploring the world. My fondest memories of past Zelda games is those moments when you had to trigger a switch or solve a puzzle using an item, or items, in a new and unique way you hadn't previously thought to do so.

One of my favorite things in OoT was messing with the Hook/Longshot. Seeing what I could latch onto. Since then though everything has been sectioned off to very specific and limited uses. The Hookshot now generally just latches onto set markers and some other surfaces, but not may and most other items are very transparent about when and how they should be used. I would really like to see them break down those barriers in Zelda U. Give us the ability to explore and experiment in the world as much as possible. It's certainly not an easy thing to develop, but for me that would a huge series shift/advancement as big as the move to 3D that OoT brought in.

Oersted

quick before anyone makes another joke and tarnishes zelda's name!

Thread went hot trash because basically noone discusses what has been said, but if you want to spin that in a absurd way which makes me doubt your reading skills, than so be it.

But now, lets stay on topic.

correojon

Western flavor, ugh. First news tidbits I don't like.

Look at it from another side: I enjoyed Assassin´s Creed games, but there were many evident flaws in it and an overall "game feel" I didn´t like. Never have I encountered any of those things in a Nintendo game, so maybe this will be another of those times when Nintendo comes in and finally teaches everyone how things are done.

I´m pretty hyped myself, I still haven´t played a Zelda game I didn´t think was awesome. There are few certain things in life, but one of them is that you can count on Nintendo releasing an excellent Zelda.

Luigiv

He's talking about the change of going from say rice (eastern cuisine) to roast potatoes (western cuisine), that one is different from the other. It's not a literal statement about western influence.

Fucking analogies, how do they work?

RK128

Interesting how the game is going to pull from western titles. We were told this around the time the game was announced but hearing this again has me wondering what western games they are looking toward.

Witcher 3 might be the best 'example' to look at, with that being high-fantasy and its world being the closest western game to the Zelda 'style' (midevil fantasy). Looking forward to seeing how they do this, as open-world Zelda might be a idea that could work really well for the Zelda series.

Just want to see it come out at this point, as its taking a long time XD!

Kurt

It would be nice to have for once a world that will change in time.
Plants & threes that grows ... landshapes that changes a little bit during time.
maybe the for seasons that move arround a world realtime.

But that would cost a lot of development time.

Arttemis

Using a metaphor to compare the change in creation of a work to a change in eastern food to western food sounds EXACTLY like he's referring to a change in eastern designs to western designs.

I hope there's a flying mount with the same ease and freedom that Epona offered in past games. That would be a huge improvement for me.

Skyward Sword isn't a good example since you could only fly in certain areas. I want to be able to call a flying mount anywhere in the overworld (within reason) and land almost anywhere. Much like in Dragon Quest VIII, though that game loaded a less-detailed version of the overworld once you were in flight. Preferably Zelda U should have the full overworld explorable via the skies by the end of the game.

GRIMREEFZ

the timing of this statement is troubling. saying "we'll be able to" as if the development progress is slow.. idk - could just be translation issue.

Luigiv

Using a metaphor to compare the change in creation of a work to eastern food to western food sounds EXACTLY like he's referring to western designs as opposed to eastern designs.

No it doesn't. Think about it from a Japanese perspective. Japanese food = very familiar. Western food = something different.

Majora's Mask was (arguably) the best representation of what an open world Zelda game could be so far. And it was my favorite game of the series.

I couldn't be more excited for this game. I think Zelda is at it's best when it's doing something new. OoT, MM, and WW were all new experiences and they were all phenomenal. I trust Nintendo with Zelda, if nothing else.

Arttemis

No it doesn't. Think about it from a Japanese perspective. Japanese food = very familiar. Western food = something different.

Japanese food = familiar... just as eastern game design is familiar.

Western food = different.. just like western design is different.

Have you never studied inferential reading?

papo

Damn they should be looking at Dark Souls to do tighter better connected overworld like in their 2D greats. ALTTP, ALBW, LA all of those were better IMO the most Zeldas. Maybe not OOT because it is so loved, but they beat all other 3D Zelda in design.

wrowa

the timing of this statement is troubling. saying "we'll be able to" as if the development progress is slow.. idk - could just be translation issue.

He speaks in vague terms, because Nintendo saves concrete details for Zelda's big (re-)reveal, which will likely happen around E3 (or whenever NX gets announced). No need to worry, the way he's able to talk right now is just limited due to PR reasons.

smudge

Arent all zelda games "open world"? or does it only count if 100% of the world is open from the start of the game..

Instro

Dump the stupid renting/buying system please. Allow some or most items to be gained outside of their respective dungeons, and as you choose and complete dungeons the remaining ones change their enemy lineup and strength.

correojon

Since before TP I've been advocating that they go to a simpler item system. Focusing on depth of items rather than breadth. Progress-by-items has worked in the past, but it's gotten quite tiring and predictable in recent entries.

With Zelda U being the first true open world game in the series it would be nice if they really went all out in developing and exploiting that sense of exploration and accomplishment by allowing for as much non-linear progression as possible.

A good way of doing that in my mind is to introduce a core set of items to the player that will all be utilized a great deal throughout the game and rely more on the player's utilization of them rather than obvious and limited applications. If we could get all the main items, say by the 1/3 mark of the game, and instead of say ~9 or so usable items as most previous games have had, we instead have ~5 main items that can do a lot and be used almost anywhere that would be fantastic.

I want the game to give me tools that I can really experiment with and utilize in a multitude of ways. Both in and out of combat. From dealing with enemies, to solving puzzles to exploring the world. My fondest memories of past Zelda games is those moments when you had to trigger a switch or solve a puzzle using an item, or items, in a new and unique way you hadn't previously thought to do so.

One of my favorite things in OoT was messing with the Hook/Longshot. Seeing what I could latch onto. Since then though everything has been sectioned off to very specific and limited uses. The Hookshot now generally just latches onto set markers and some other surfaces, but not may and most other items are very transparent about when and how they should be used. I would really like to see them break down those barriers in Zelda U. Give us the ability to explore and experiment in the world as much as possible. It's certainly not an easy thing to develop, but for me that would a huge series shift/advancement as big as the move to 3D that OoT brought in.

This would be awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zelda is based on Western fantasy ideas already. Western influence isn't new to the series at all.

takriel

It's still a Zelda game guys. It's not going to become Skyrim.

image.php

I really hope that massive, open world is full of gameplay and not just an empty field like OoT and Twilight Princess. It'd be amazing if there's something to encounter every few meters, just like in A Link to the Past. Little worried about that though, everything they've shown so far was just massive open fields with some enemies scattered around. So, hopefully more Zelda than Elder Scrolls.

I don't think "new" is what Zelda really needs. I think they should just refine what they had around the time of ALTTP, OoT and MM. Everything after became bloat and just felt like they didn't know what to add or added stuff they didn't need so it started to get repetitive and sluggish. Everything after N64 Zelda felt like no one played the game all the way through and noticed the pacing issues or just weird issues like being told rupee worth and what bugs are.
New combat and harder difficulty would be nice though.

takriel

I don't think "new" is what Zelda really needs. I think they should just refine what they had around the time of ALTTP, OoT and MM. Everything after became bloat and just felt like they didn't know what to add or added stuff they didn't need so it started to get repetitive and sluggish. Everything after N64 Zelda felt like no one played the game all the way through and noticed the pacing issues.

NO! They've been trying to match OoT ever since that game released to critical acclaim. New is exactly what Zelda needs!

Alebrije

If new Zelda comes to WiiU and NX , will get it for NX.

Hope they show something different as Aonuma says but I think they are on the hype train process so more people go aboard

That Western reference could end Zelda looking like a Fable game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The main issue I have is that we are probably around 8 months before the release of this game and all the info we have is still at the stage of concept definition.

Banned
Some of you people are really lousy at metaphors and inferential reading :p

Now I have a craving for rice lol.

I think he means that the game will cater more to western tastes; open world, quests, quest log, go to points on a map, etc but it's not going to have a level system or upgradeable items.

georly

Using a metaphor to compare the change in creation of a work to a change in eastern food to western food sounds EXACTLY like he's referring to a change in eastern designs to western designs.

You have to read into it, at least a little bit. He could have made a million analogies to represent a drastic change-up, yet he went for eastern vs western food. I think it implies the game will at least have a little western influence. I do not think it implies the game will go full hog western adventure/rpg. It won't become a bethesda/WB/Ubi open world, it'll still be zelda - I just wouldn't be surprised if it uses some elements from those games to influence some of its changes.

I don't think "new" is what Zelda really needs. I think they should just refine what they had around the time of ALTTP, OoT and MM. Everything after became bloat and just felt like they didn't know what to add or added stuff they didn't need so it started to get repetitive and sluggish. Everything after N64 Zelda felt like no one played the game all the way through and noticed the pacing issues or just weird issues like being told rupee worth and what bugs are.

this is what they've been doing since oot. Making alterations to the formula, for better or worse. Let them do new for once. If it fails, they can always go back to the tried and true method. Give them a chance.

Top Bottom