• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma on Zelda Wii U: "I think we’ll be able to make ‘something new’ like OoT was."

Like OOT's impact? Not a chance. Unless the next Zelda (after U of course) heavily uses cutting edge technology like all motion VR or whatever, there's no chance at all.

I'd rather have good puzzles than a lot of them. I'm kinda tired of the "here are switches" or "incinerate these pillars" kind of tedious stuff.

OoT's achievements and what it brought to the table went well beyond "cutting edge technology". It invented the lock on system for one.

There were almost none of those puzzles in SS.

TDLink

Please don't be full of filler quests and hunts, please don't be full of filler quests and hunts.

Honestly I'd be fine with this stuff in Zelda as long as it is on the side and not mandatory. Currently Zelda's side stuff is practically nonexistent. Not counting Majora's Mask for obvious reasons, there's typically 5 or less "major" side quests, none of which are especially long. After that you're exploring the world and finding empty caves filled with heart pieces and Rupees. There needs to be more to the side stuff.

he "thinks"? aren't they at a development stage where they should already know if they can or not?

Yeah it sounds similar to how he was talking two years ago, but it's probably nothing to worry about.

If NX is out this year then the game will be out this year too, there's no way they don't make it a launch title
Think of all the people who are waiting for this zelda to release just to buy a Wii U. You could have them buy an NX instead.

Yep, exactly. If it's significantly better on NX, I know I will.

Like OOT's impact? Not a chance. Unless the next Zelda (after U of course) heavily uses cutting edge technology like all motion VR or whatever, there's no chance at all.

I'd rather have good puzzles than a lot of them. I'm kinda tired of the "here are switches" or "incinerate these pillars" kind of tedious stuff.

We can have both. Or a good mix. There has to be enough to fill a reasonably long game. I don't want just a couple great puzzles in a 30+ hours game. Almost one per two hours sounds about right. So, say about 12 in 30 hours.

The only good non linear open world game I've played is the original Zelda, every other attempt at open world design has resulted in developers making huge environments and then throwing in poorly designed quests. I think Zelda U could be the game to push open world design, make it more than an NPC telling you to go from point A to point B, have a fun sense of progression and core design to the open world. In that respect Zelda U could certainly be ground breaking.

The Witcher 3 and Skyrim are of course enjoyable adventures but their objectives in the open world are poorly designed in my opinion.

samn

Sounds like he's taking some more western influence than we thought. Wonder which ones. Already seen link w/ a larger sword, which could imply more western rpg elements, like finding various weapons. Will be really refreshing to play something brand new again. Can't wait. Media blackout, here I come.

I don't think that'll be the thing that crosses over. If anything, it'll be the ability to tackle dungeons in more than one order. Ocarina let you do a few out of order, as did ALttP and Zelda 1. Just do something like the ice cave, which is a mini dungeon with no item requirement to enter that unlocks an item that you need to enter another dungeon. Makes every dungeon roughly 1.5 dungeons and lets you tackle them in any order, as long as you find the corresponding mini dungeon. That's another possible solution to tackling in any order without having to rent.

Any order at all, however, means no difficulty progression and locks dungeons to using only 1 item, which is a problem. A better solution might be dungeon 'clusters' where you can only do 2 or 3 at a time before moving on to the next 2 or 3. This way cluster 2 assumes you have all items from cluster 1 and can as a whole be more difficult than cluster 1. Same with cluster 3, which knows you have all items from clusters 1-2

Clustering is the best way to go.

I really missed the sense of progression and ascending difficulty in ALBW.

Nugg

This time with faces intact.

image.php

Game is still in development?!!

Gotta say Zelda might be one of only games that is never rushed out before it's literally perfect (in the eyes of its creators at least)

Game is still in development?!!

Gotta say Zelda might be one of only games that is never rushed out before it's literally perfect (in the eyes of its creators at least)

Yeah we saw it back in November. Zelda U's pretty much been publicly known since the Wii U's announcement in 2011, officially since The Wind Waker HD's announcement in 2013. I'm glad they delayed it from its 2015 release, make it as perfect as possible.

Nugg

Miyamoto about Wind Waker:

"At the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete...I apologise that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull."

Western flavor? So lots of padding, bad combat, unstable frame rates, almost no thought into level design, and glitches up the ass?

The last time the 3D games did something really different was Majora's Mask, with its real time clock.

I hope Zelda U brings back some of what made MM so great. A world that feels alive would be nice. No point in making an enormous overworld if it's just going to be empty and devoid of life.

Like others are saying, I also hope the team isn't taking the wrong lessons from games people grew tired of several years ago.

But I don't think that's the case. Zelda games have been extremely same-y for a very long time. The formula is so exact that Zelda games have suffered for it. Creating a sense of adventure is really hard when it feels like the same adventure you have done every five years since 1996.

I think Zelda U is just poised to free itself from the formula and allow itself to be experimental again.

Davey Cakes

You really can't blame them for trying a western approach, seeing as western open world games are successful and generally lauded by the gaming community.

I just hope the teams don't bite off more than they can chew. If the open world is boring because they couldn't come up with enough content, I will be SO disappointed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
God damn it, guys, it's a metaphor. He doesn't mean Japanese to Western literally.

It's about how big the difference will be, not WHAT it will be.

The Lamp

They were on the right track with Skyward Sword. That open world exploration with Lanayru Mines was some of the best Zelda gameplay there is. Please keep innovating like that.

Jackano

Sounds like he's taking some more western influence than we thought. Wonder which ones. Already seen link w/ a larger sword, which could imply more western rpg elements, like finding various weapons. Will be really refreshing to play something brand new again. Can't wait. Media blackout, here I come.

I kinda hope for a loot system for the weapons.
It was already there in TWW and SS but you can't keep the weapons for more then a room :/
Also upgrade system is in SS too, and both are in Hyrule Warriors.

This allows for using all the stuff you collect, and spend more rupees. I'm OK with this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He's talking about the change of going from say rice (eastern cuisine) to roast potatoes (western cuisine), that one is different from the other. It's not a literal statement about western influence.

Zipzo

Banned
The last time the 3D games did something really different was Majora's Mask, with its real time clock.

I hope Zelda U brings back some of what made MM so great. A world that feels alive would be nice. No point in making an enormous overworld if it's just going to be empty and devoid of life.

I honestly can't think of a triple A title that advertises itself as an "open world" in the past several years who's world was "devoid of life", I don't understand why people vocalize this as a worry, I think developers are smart enough to know that a world has to have "stuff" in it.

Kurt

What if you have a world in a world in a world?

Anyway, i hope you can fly to dungeons in the sky. But i dont set my hopes on it...

georly

Eh. It's possible. Unlikely, but possible. You still see games coming out every year that are so influential that dozens of other games copy aspects of that game. All they need to do (hahahah) is come up with a really fun open world game system that hasn't been done before that works really well that other devs want to emulate. There are still tons of things that haven't been done in a large open world. One recent open world innovation that was really good (but hasn't been emulated YET) was the nemesis system in shadow of mordor.

I think if zelda U can innovate in the open world space and it's a good enough idea, then it could definitely have an OoT-like impact of other devs using Zelda U as a gold standard for open world adventure games. Is it likely to happen? I doubt it, but it's not impossible. Tech has nothing to do with it.

He's talking about the change of going from say rice (eastern cuisine) to roast potatoes (western cuisine), that one is different from the other. It's not a literal statement about western influence.

Hard to say. I mean, I don't think it'll have western influences aesthetically, but the statement opens up the possibility that he's taking western game design into account, which would be like rice to potatoes, gameplay-wise, for zelda. Obviously he just means it'll be a sidestep to stuff he hasn't done before in zelda, but who's to say that sidestep isn't western-influenced either? I mean, I definitely don't think he's making zelda skyrim or that it'll be anything like a western adventure/rpg.

Rodin

Aonuma talks about making something new and surprise players= Far Cry meets Skyrim confirmed. Gotta love the overreactions. As he mentioned before, they're going for a unique approach in open world design and gameplay, so i'm not sure where this is coming from.

The western flavor can easily refer to subquest, and again, he already said that the game will feature so many of them that you'll almost forget to progress in the main quest. Which is normal, what's the point of having a giant world if you have nothing to do in it?

Previously, Kotaku reported that the new Zelda will be open-world and might not have the puzzles players have come to expect.
Yeah, not only i doubt it, but i also don't see how exactly these two things are connected.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm ready for something new! And by something new, I don't mean the same stuff every other action adventure game is already doing. I want a really good, refreshing action/puzzle adventure game that still somehow feels like a Zelda game. It can be hard to combine better pacing (much needed from the last 3D entry) and freedom of exploration. I'm really curious about what they eventually come up with, how it'll resonate with me personally, and how it'll be generally (lol) received.

I'm hoping for a re-imagination of the progress-by-items system. I think the franchise could do with a soft reboot here tbh. I don't necessarily think the renting system from ALBW is the way to go. I'm not sure what is the way to go, haha. I just hope it'll be fun.

I'll be very surprised if they manage to come up with anything as ground breaking as Ocarina of Time was again though.

Dimmle

I like the cut of that jib. Even if it's not possible to recreate the novelty that was Ocarina, they should always be striving for that level of ambition.

Thud

I like potatoes and rice.

Akiller

God damn it, guys, it's a metaphor. He doesn't mean Japanese to Western literally.

It's about how big the difference will be, not WHAT it will be.
Yeah, i think they Will surely take inspiration from those western elements but they Will actually be japanese revised.

A bit like ,idk, Dragon's Dogma which is western inspired but you can easily see it's made by a japanese team.

Piers

OoT was the first Zelda in 3D. That alone spear-headed various concepts for action-adventure controls, and it's virtually impossible for other 3D Zelda games to replicate that newness by today's standards.

maxmars

Yeah, not only i doubt it, but i also don't see how exactly these two things are connected.

It could mean that instead of having recognizable characters doing their thing in towns and cities, we will now have generic crowds, AC like.

I may be a bit cinic but I don't see how they can innovate after all these years of 3d action games. OoT could innovate because it was the first episode set in a 3d world, but now?

EDIT: beaten by Piers like a Deku Scrub.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It could mean that instead of having recognizable characters doing their thing in towns and cities, we will now have generic crowds, AC like.

They already had that in TP. Hyrule Castle town has generic characters running around to simply represent the bustle of a city

Peltz

Goddam I need this game. Can't wait.

The little scrapes of footage we've seen has already hit me in the feels.

Mato

But this time, the change in flavor will be like going from Japanese food to Western style food

If we are to take this sentence literally, the least we can expect is some sort of voice acting. Perhaps they are trying to make something which will aesthetically have a greater universal appeal. Which is not a bad idea.

Dimmle

If we are to take this sentence literally, the least we can expect is some sort of voice acting. Perhaps they are trying to make something which will aesthetically have a greater universal appeal. Which is not a bad idea.

How can you take a simile literally?

Top Bottom