• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: NFL finds it probable that Patriots deliberately deflated balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
To play devils advocate to this.... It would show up more in rainy games. That being said...

It seems that the balls have VERY little if no effect at all with Tom. Hell this was evident in the Colts game where they blew em out even harder with regular balls.

But (and I haven't looked into this myself) there have been people talking about how the Pats have an incredibly low fumble rate. Would be interested to test fumbles home and away.

Then again, we always fuckin benched Ridley when he fumbled.

I think regarding rain, those numbers would likely balance out over 8 years... In that you're likely to play approximately as many rainy games on the road as you are at home. Approximately, especially because all other teams in the AFC E are outdoor teams and there are more outdoor teams in the AFC than NFC (2 in door teams in AFC, 6 in NFC). This would possibly be different for a team like Carolina where their home stadium is outdoor, yet 2 of their division opponents on the road are in domes, but of course, even over 8 years, those numbers would approximately balance out as well. Obviously there are some weather differences, like, Seattle and Foxborough MA get more inclement weather than, say, Miami or or Tampa Bay, but I'd wager it probably evens out over all of those games.

Aye re: Fumbles. There have been a number of articles that went into the fumble story back when the first rumblings came out and suggested that deflated footballs made no impact on fumble rate. I don't have time to do the research but I'd wonder how NE's fumble rate varies on the road vs. home.

I think there are more statistically relevant decisions the Patriots have made that would effect fumble rates... Mostly in their style of offense (e.g., a pass-first offense that uses the run as a change of pace), Belichick outright dropping players who have any fumble issues (Ridley, a Rookie of the Year candidate with over 1,000 yards, effectively benched and released for the remainder of his Patriots career due to .. 4 fumbles), and Belichick's noteworthy fumble prevention practice which coaches, players, and media have remarked about over the years. Also, averaged over the last 3 years, the Patriots are tied for 9-16th in fumble rate per game (at 1.0 fumble per game, tied with 7 teams, behind 9 teams), not exactly some godly numbers.

Anybody read this weeks Monday Morning QB?

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/11/dante-fowler-jaguars-tom-brady-deflategate-nfl-peter-king/

RvO2ofZ.png

What does this image show? That Brady playing with allegedly deflated footballs (home games) and allegedly regulation PSI footballs (away games) results in nearly identical numbers over the last 8 years.

The rest of the article goes into more depth and is mostly about suspension predictions.

I honestly don't know how the suspensions will come down... Last week, I would have said barely anything because the hard evidence on Brady is so weak (basically, a text message conversation from October), and initially I think this bore out in NFL media... Where the more reasonable voices in NFL media (say, the Around the NFL Crew) thought maybe a cash penalty or a single game suspension. But as the week went on, the predictions got more and more severe, to the point that I think most fans of other teams are expecting at least 8 games. The result is anything that is less than 8 games is probably going to throw fans of other teams into a rage that Brady is favored and the league is a joke, while a suspension greater than 2 games is going to seem like an undue punishment just to make an example of the Patriots -- to Patriots fans.

I would have thought a game suspension was impossible mid-last week based on the report, now, I'm thinking a 6+ game suspension is probable based on the fervor of media and fans.

Now the interesting part:

Do you draft Jimmy Garoppolo in Fantasy Football?

The texts between the employees are odd, but I don't see how anyone can actually believe the Patriots deflated these balls based on the numbers. Everything about it is so fuzzy and unclear, but it's so odd to see the report say it is probable that the balls were deflated and that the balls deflating due to the Ideal Gas Law is not possible (as much as the end value ended up being). Time and time again, that is proven false. The PSIs reported pretty much show that they were impacted by the Ideal Gas Law exactly as they should have been. The report stating that it was probable that the ref was wrong about the gauge he used prior to the game is also very fishy. What gave Wells the impression that the ref was wrong about the gauge he used? The fact that it doesn't support the idea that the Patriots cheated? That report has so many holes, and I still don't understand why anyone is putting stock into it. It's so botched.

It's definitely going to be a much more interesting AFC East assuming Brady gets a multi-game suspension. Even without a suspension, Buffalo has put together one of the best defenses in the AFC (perhaps best), Miami and NEw York also improved at their weakest positions (minus QB for New York), and New England lost three all-pro defensive players giving them a particularly average defense.

Even without a suspension, the AFC E is going to be more competitive. If it's 4 games or less, you just have to hope (if you're a Patriots fan) that New England goes 2-2 during those 4 games, which is basically how they start almost every season, starting slow and finishing strong.

It's definitely going to be a much more interesting AFC East assuming Brady gets a multi-game suspension. Even without a suspension, Buffalo has put together one of the best defenses in the AFC (perhaps best), Miami and NEw York also improved at their weakest positions (minus QB for New York), and New England lost three all-pro defensive players giving them a particularly average defense.

Even without a suspension, the AFC E is going to be more competitive. If it's 4 games or less, you just have to hope (if you're a Patriots fan) that New England goes 2-2 during those 4 games, which is basically how they start almost every season, starting slow and finishing strong.

Jimmy will lead us to a perfect season.

ampere

AFC East defenses are scary, but only Miami has a QB (with a shit coach).

Jimmy will indeed return us to the promised owl.

edit:

If Tom gets suspended, who do we pick up as a backup for Jimmy for a few weeks?

spyder_ur

AFC East defenses are scary, but only Miami has a QB (with a shit coach).

Jimmy will indeed return us to the promised owl.

edit:

If Tom gets suspended, who do we pick up as a backup for Jimmy for a few weeks?

Bledsoe. Full circle.

What is this YouTube video people are referencing?

ampere

Bledsoe. Full circle.

Would he be the oldest QB on a roster in history? Lol

fake edit:
Nope apparently George Blanda retired at 48

What is this YouTube video people are referencing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxsXFX3tDpg

Basically shows that footballs when made damp could conceivably change pressures to the extent that they may have during the AFC championship. Like a two-body problem, they obviously are not going to match the variables that were present during the game, but it shows that it's physically possible (provided the experiment performed in the video is honest).

Quotient

The texts between the employees are odd, but I don't see how anyone can actually believe the Patriots deflated these balls based on the numbers. Everything about it is so fuzzy and unclear, but it's so odd to see the report say it is probable that the balls were deflated and that the balls deflating due to the Ideal Gas Law is not possible (as much as the end value ended up being). Time and time again, that is proven false. The PSIs reported pretty much show that they were impacted by the Ideal Gas Law exactly as they should have been. The report stating that it was probable that the ref was wrong about the gauge he used prior to the game is also very fishy. What gave Wells the impression that the ref was wrong about the gauge he used? The fact that it doesn't support the idea that the Patriots cheated? That report has so many holes, and I still don't understand why anyone is putting stock into it. It's so botched.

I also found it odd that Wells didn't question Anderson's recollection of the pre-game PSI level, but questions which gauge Anderson used.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Jealous envious? There are like 10 teams with a more storied history than the Pats. I don't expect a lot of you to know this since most of you started watching after 04 or maybe even 05, but have some goddamn respect for the history of the game. Fuck.

History of the game? You mean the history of the game that is ripe with cheating?

From these in more recent years.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/01/21/nfl-cheating-deflatgate-patriots
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/if-the-patriots-cheated-theyre-hardly-alone/

To rampant steroid and PED use in the 60s 70s 80s and so on.

Its football, almost everyone is doing everything legally and illegally they can to gain an edge. Sometimes those people get caught, sometimes they don't. But lets no pretend that the "history of the game" is a pristine, honorable game.

I don't even understand how this is a big deal. The scrutiny should be on the NFL for quote un quote allowing a sting operation to happen tainting the AFC championship game. Then the joke of the Wells report that ignores Walt Anderson saying he was reasonably sure he used the crooked needle before the game and at halftime and found no real issues.

It really appears to me that the NFL is out to get the patriots in this instance. And I say all this as a Houston native and Houston Texans fan that couldn't care less about the Patriots.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
History of the game? You mean the history of the game that is ripe with cheating?

From these in more recent years.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/01/21/nfl-cheating-deflatgate-patriots
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/04/if-the-patriots-cheated-theyre-hardly-alone/

To rampant steroid and PED use in the 60s 70s 80s and so on.

Its football, almost everyone is doing everything legally and illegally they can to gain an edge. Sometimes those people get caught, sometimes they don't. But lets no pretend that the "history of the game" is a pristine, honorable game.

I don't even understand how this is a big deal. The scrutiny should be on the NFL for quote un quote allowing a sting operation to happen tainting the AFC championship game. Then the joke of the Wells report that ignores Walt Anderson saying he was reasonably sure he used the crooked needle before the game and at halftime and found no real issues.

It really appears to me that the NFL is out to get the patriots in this instance. And I say all this as a Houston native and Houston Texans fan that couldn't care less about the Patriots.

I think it has more to do with a) the insanity of the NFL punishing players for incredibly dumb things (see: year long marijuana suspensions, 2 games initially for Ray Rice) and b) the idea that the Patriots see themselves as above the rules (between Spygate and now this). Also, with them lying so brazenly between the championship game and the Super Bowl is also probably what has done it in.

Yep, two bits of evidence stick out to me:

a) The balls and the report
  • The average of all balls at all readings were two hundredths below the Ideal Gas Law (11.32 [ideal] v 11.30 [actual]).
  • Evidence Brady had anything to do with anything is a text conversation from October in which the report claims that the two people texting "were joking"
  • Report claims the ref used the wrong gauge

b) The effect of having "deflated" footballs (12.49 or less)
  • Brady's numbers are virtually identical at home (arguably, 12.49 or lower) and away (arguably, 12.50 or higher) over the last 8 season
  • The Patriots struggled in the first half of the Colts game with arguably deflated (12.49 or lower) footballs and then excelled in the second half with inflated footballs (13.5 or higher as the balls were re-inflated).
  • Brady, playing with regulation inflated footballs in the Super Bowl, excelled, winning the MVP award and having a 140.7 QB rating in the 4th quarter.

Jealous envious? There are like 10 teams with a more storied history than the Pats. I don't expect a lot of you to know this since most of you started watching after 04 or maybe even 05, but have some goddamn respect for the history of the game. Fuck.

Since the merger, the Patriots are definitely in the top 10 and arguably in the top 5 most successful franchises. Tied for #1 with most conference championships (8, tied with Dallas & Pittsburg), 9th best winning percentage, 10 most playoff berths, 7th most division titles, 4th most playoff wins, 1st for Super Bowl appearances (tied with Dallas & Pittsburgh), 4th most Super Bowl wins, 7th most winning seasons.

I resent that "Started watching after 04 or 05" garbage. That's not remotely true of Patriots fans, given that the franchise was one of the top grossing franchises in the 1990s as well as throughout 2000s. Though, that is true of Patriots in the 70s and 80s, but it'd be a bit of a stretch to criticze current day Patriots fans for fans who were born in, say, 1955.

Quotient

Did anyone reading the report get the feeling the referees were completely incompetent.

1. The Colts inform the league about concerns with Patriot footballs being under-inflated.
  2. The league informs the officiating crew - specifically Anderson.
  3. Anderson inspects footballs but never records measurements
  4. Footballs disappear from locker-room and are found later in the hand of a Patriots employee, and the referees at this point think it is okay to put those same balls into play.

I definitely agree that the Pats should be penalized for lack of cooperation and removing balls without permission, but I'm surprised no one is talking about the referees. That was a monumental screw-up by them

hom3land

If they suspend Brady for the first game. I pray the pats treat the home opener as a regular game.. Save the unveiling of the banner and celebration for Bradys first home game.

Would be awkward as hell.

Arc

If they suspend Brady for the first game. I pray the pats treat the home opener as a regular game.. Save the unveiling of the banner and celebration for Bradys first home game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. The Brady chants will be deafening either way.

spyder_ur

Ha, that would be incredible. Hell, take it a step further and treat it like a 5th exhibition game. Rest some starters. They can recover. Would be incredible to see them spoil the NFL's showcase game and honestly it wouldn't be totally shocking.

chadskin

I didn't read the appendix, so i'll probably have to do that, is their a table of the psi after being converted to the master gauge values?

Appendix I, p. 45 has the converted average psi values for Pats and Colts.

6. Officials used two gauges at halftime of the AFC Championship Game to measure the air pressure in 11 New England footballs and four Indianapolis footballs. On page 113 of the Wells report, after a description of the scientific Ideal Gas Law (eyes glaze over), Wells says the Patriots footballs should have measured between 11.32 psi and 11.52 psi. The average of one gauge for the 11 balls was 11.49 psi, on the upper range of what the balls should measure. The average of the other gauge was 11.11 psi, clearly lower than what the balls should have measured. Average all 22 readings, and you get 11.30 … two-one-hundredths lower what the Ideal Gas Law would have allowed for balls that started the day at 12.5 psi. You’re going to suspend someone—never mind a franchise quarterback, never mind without a smoking gun—for an air-pressure measurement of 11.30 when the allowable measurement would have been 11.32?

That article uses the wrong data and comes to a false conclusion on multiple levels. First, the average Master Gauge values for the Pats balls is 11.21 psi (Logo Gauge) and 11.09 (Non-Logo Gauge) and for the Colts balls 12.40 psi (Logo Gauge) and 12.29 psi (Non-Logo Gauge) (see: Appendix I, p. 45). Hence, the Pats balls were up to 0.23 psi below the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law.

Also, 11.32 is the average lowest ceiling of the Ideal Gas Law for the Pats balls. It does not mean the Pats ball HAVE to average out at 11.32, just that if they would, it would still be possible to explain it scientifically. Think of it as the "worst-case scenario."

However, the Colts balls indicate that the average for the Pats balls should've actually been considerably above that worst-case scenario. More precisely, the Ideal Gas Law predicted a range of 11.80 to 12.00 psi for the Colts balls, yet - as outlined above - they averaged out at 12.40 psi and 12.29 psi respectively.

Dosia

Did anyone reading the report get the feeling the referees were completely incompetent.

1. The Colts inform the league about concerns with Patriot footballs being under-inflated.
  2. The league informs the officiating crew - specifically Anderson.
  3. Anderson inspects footballs but never records measurements
  4. Footballs disappear from locker-room and are found later in the hand of a Patriots employee, and the referees at this point think it is okay to put those same balls into play.

I definitely agree that the Pats should be penalized for lack of cooperation and removing balls without permission, but I'm surprised no one is talking about the referees. That was a monumental screw-up by them

The refs incompetent? No way! Lol. They are about as incompetent as the king clown commish.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Appendix I, p. 45 has the converted average psi values for Pats and Colts.

That article uses the wrong data and comes to a false conclusion on multiple levels. First, the average Master Gauge values for the Pats balls is 11.21 psi (Logo Gauge) and 11.09 (Non-Logo Gauge) and for the Colts balls 12.40 psi (Logo Gauge) and 12.29 psi (Non-Logo Gauge) (see: Appendix I, p. 45). Hence, the Pats balls were up to 0.23 psi below the range predicted by the Ideal Gas Law.

Also, 11.32 is the average lowest ceiling of the Ideal Gas Law for the Pats balls. It does not mean the Pats ball HAVE to average out at 11.32, just that if they would, it would still be possible to explain it scientifically. Think of it as the "worst-case scenario."

However, the Colts balls indicate that the average for the Pats balls should've actually been considerably above that worst-case scenario. More precisely, the Ideal Gas Law predicted a range of 11.80 to 12.00 psi for the Colts balls, yet - as outlined above - they averaged out at 12.40 psi and 12.29 psi respectively.

Yeah; King doesn't understand what the analysis is actually saying and makes it sound significantly better for the Patriots than the science on the ground actually showed.

Crisco

Banned
I don't really see how anyone can argue that the balls weren't intentionally deflated below 12.5 PSI after the refs measured them, and that Brady didn't know about it. The science definitively proves the former, and there's enough circumstantial evidence against Brady to win a lawsuit, at least. Even without the evidence of electronic contact, the likelihood that any member of the Patriots staff would fuck with the balls without Brady's instruction (after he's already officially approved them no less) is infinitesimal. The text messages and uptick in communication between Jastremsky and Brady only seal the deal. You could maybe create reasonable doubt that Brady didn't specifically ask for less than 12.5, but that's about it.

ampere

I don't really see how anyone can argue that the balls weren't intentionally deflated below 12.5 PSI after the refs measured them

Simple. People have spoken of the refs not really checking pregame balls meticulously and sometimes just giving them a squeeze test

Even the texts in the report seem to indicate that the approved balls were well over the limit during a Jets game, and this led Brady to complain.

I don't really see how anyone can argue that the balls weren't intentionally deflated below 12.5 PSI after the refs measured them, and that Brady didn't know about it. The science definitively proves the former,

This group used science to definitively prove that second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer too. They're a shop that one typically goes to when you need science to show a predetermined result, not when you are trying to determine what actually happened. Amongst various other things in the report, it's a bit of a head scratcher why that agency was chosen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponent_(consulting_firm)#Questioned_neutrality

Crisco

Banned
The details of all their experimentation is in the report, so unless you've got a problem with their specific findings or methodology, questioning their integrity is petty. You have to reject their work on scientific grounds, as they did with Brady, before calling them frauds.

ampere

The details of all their experimentation is in the report, so unless you've got a problem with their specific findings or methodology, questioning their integrity is petty. You have to reject their work on scientific grounds, as they did with Brady, before calling them frauds.

There's been some concern raised over which gauge they assumed the refs to be using, but the primary issue is the assumption that the refs confirmed balls to be over the limit prior to the start of the game, yet these pressures were not actually recorded.

There's also the issue with the way wet footballs were tested in the report. The report is relatively flimsy science just applying the Ideal Gas Law and saying QED. The fact of the matter is that you won't be able to replicate the conditions exactly, so to make a claim that you definitely prove the PSI drop was impossible is not reasonable.

Acerac

Banned

Geez, the salt levels in this post are intense. Methinks somebody is just upset their team didn't win the Superbowl last season.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
There's been some concern raised over which gauge they assumed the refs to be using, but the primary issue is the assumption that the refs confirmed balls to be over the limit prior to the start of the game, yet these pressures were not actually recorded.

There's also the issue with the way wet footballs were tested in the report. The report is relatively flimsy science just applying the Ideal Gas Law and saying QED. The fact of the matter is that you won't be able to replicate the conditions exactly, so to make a claim that you definitely prove the PSI drop was impossible is not reasonable.

Except that's what testing the Indy / NE balls showed - that when put in the same external environment (the game conditions); the NE balls deflated far more across the board than the Indy balls. Hence, a logical conclusion is that the NE balls were deflated after initial testing but before game time.

Geez, the salt levels in this post are intense. Methinks somebody is just upset their team didn't win the Superbowl last season.

I'm pretty sure accusing people of salt because the facts are pretty solidly pointing out that the Patriots did in fact cheat...I think I know where the salt is, and it isn't the person going "if you're going to discredit the science, do it with science".

Also, this thread has me weeping for scientific understanding and testing. This is sad. I get why Peter King might be confused, he's not a scientist. But dear lord, the science in that report is as dead on as you're going to get.

Caja 117

This group used science to definitively prove that second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer too. They're a shop that one typically goes to when you need science to show a predetermined result, not when you are trying to determine what actually happened. Amongst various other things in the report, it's a bit of a head scratcher why that agency was chosen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponent_(consulting_firm)#Questioned_neutrality

I dont understand why people are not concerned or even questioning this, not only that, this is also coming from a league that was denying for years the connection between Football and CTE.

Quotient

Except that's what testing the Indy / NE balls showed - that when put in the same external environment (the game conditions); the NE balls deflated far more across the board than the Indy balls. Hence, a logical conclusion is that the NE balls were deflated after initial testing but before game time.

Does the appendix address the sample size? They were comparing 11 patriots balls against 4 colt balls.

ampere

That hasn't been proven though. The initial testing didn't record the pressures. So it remains a possibility that the balls were under inflated before being tested and stayed that way.

So when does Brady come out with his book, entitled, "If I
did it"?

Borders Exclusive

Crisco

Banned
I'm legitimately curious as to what kind of story Brady's camp will come up with. They can either go the route of blaming general incompetence by everyone from the NFL to Ted Wells and the people they hired to do the investigation. Or, rather than denying the obvious facts in the report, they can attempt to fill the holes with outlandish theories of a conspiracy between the NFL, Jim Irsay, and Walt Anderson to ruin Tom Brady's legacy. Should be good TV either way.

hom3land

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...ells-investigation-team/#.VVDGQaUMphU.twitter

. When Robert Mueller investigated the NFL for its cover-up mishandling of the Ray Rice elevator video … league executives only turned over their company-issued cell phones.

This was pointed out to me by an astute reader on Twitter, and it checks out. You’ll remember that last year, the NFL paid Robert Mueller to investigate the NFL, and Robert Mueller (surprise surprise) concluded that NFL hadn’t really done anything wrong.

In the course of that investigation, Mueller needed some evidence. Here’s an excerpt from Page 7 of the appendix of Mueller’s report:

“We identified the most logical persons to have received and viewed the in-elevator video. We imaged each of their devices — their computers, as well as their League mobile phones and tablets, if they had one. … In total, we imaged 51 computers, 42 mobile devices or tablets, and two external storage devices.”

Page 47 of that report also makes the distinction that the investigation examined “League” mobile phones and devices. That excludes personal phones and devices.

Now, that same Twitter user noted that Tom Brady’s cell phone, as listed in the Wells report, had a 917 area code, which would mean it was put into service in New York City.
New York City, as you might be aware, is not in Foxborough, Massachusetts. So the phone in question was more likely than not a personal phone of Brady.

So, when the NFL is under investigation, its executives need not turn over personal cell phones. But when a player is under investigation, he must relinquish his own privacy to satisfy the demands of those same executives, or else he will be considered guilty for not cooperating.

Got to love that double standard. Right up there with ignorance is no excuse.. Unless your the head of nfl and didn't see a video tape that your organization had in its possession.

That hasn't been proven though. The initial testing didn't record the pressures. So it remains a possibility that the balls were under inflated before being tested and stayed that way.

Nope.

He is thoroughly familiar with the Playing Rules and the Referee Manual, and is widely recognized as exceedingly meticulous, diligent and careful. Multiple witnesses noted that Anderson is one of the few referees who personally tests the inflation levels of game balls prior to the game, rather than delegating that responsibility to another member of his officiating crew

When tested, all of the Patriots footballs—both game balls and back-up balls—
registered on the lower-end of the permissible inflation range. Anderson recalls that most of the
Patriots footballs measured 12.5 psi, though there may have been one or two that measured 12.6
psi. No air was added to or released from these balls because they were within the permissible
range. According to Anderson, two of the game balls provided by the Patriots measured below
the 12.5 psi threshold. Yette used the air pump provided by the Patriots to inflate those footballs,
explaining that he “purposefully overshot” the range (because it is hard to be precise when
adding air), and then gave the footballs back to Anderson, who used the air release valve on his
gauge to reduce the pressure down to 12.5 psi

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

This is a Gronk-esque response, bravo. Too many big words to be authentic, but the casual disregard is spot on, even without a "Deez Nuts!" send off.

Crisco

Banned
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...ells-investigation-team/#.VVDGQaUMphU.twitter

Got to love that double standard. Right up there with ignorance is no excuse.. Unless your the head of nfl and didn't see a video tape that your organization had in its possession.

But Ted Wells and co. didn't just ask Brady to hand over his cell phone. They offered him the opportunity to go through the records himself, with his own lawyers, and produce only the messages relevant to the investigation. Instead he gave them nothing at all. False equivalencies in that article.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Does the appendix address the sample size? They were comparing 11 patriots balls against 4 colt balls.

Based on the value of the colts balls and how close they were to each other; statistically (and this was pointed out on page 9); it would have been very unlikely that the other Colts balls would have differed much. Also, they ended up testing 12 Patriots balls (the one that was intercepted and also tested to be under 12.5; but wasn't put into the table).

Note; they did have a professor (and the old head) of Physics at Princeton also doing the scientific analysis. I promise you none of us are going to point out an issue the prof hadn't already seen.

Per the report; Walt Anderson said that the Patriots balls all started at 12.5 psi. There is little to no possibility that the balls were under inflated before being tested and stayed that way, because the same gauges were used for the Colts balls. If the same gauges are used and they all show the colts balls at 13.0 and the patriots balls at 12.5 at the start of the game - then there's no way that the same gauges show a drop of .73 for the colts balls, and 1.4 for the patriots balls.

What is damning to the Patriots isn't that their balls deflated to 11.x or 10.x; it's that they magically deflated at 2 to 3x the same rate as the Colts balls in the same game at the same place.

Add in the text messages (which are pretty damning) and you can see why they came up with what they did.

Seriously read and understand Appendix 1; most of the typical "but but but" responses are blown up pretty hard in that analysis. I can agree that this is all sort of insane, and fundamentally dumb, but they hit the science really, really well.

spyder_ur

I'm legitimately curious as to what kind of story Brady's camp will come up with. They can either go the route of blaming general incompetence by everyone from the NFL to Ted Wells and the people they hired to do the investigation. Or, rather than denying the obvious facts in the report, they can attempt to fill the holes with outlandish theories of a conspiracy between the NFL, Jim Irsay, and Walt Anderson to ruin Tom Brady's legacy. Should be good TV either way.

This is where I would go since the NFL has shown that during this and other 'investigations', and showed a total lack of competence (or even care) in ensuring the quality and integrity of the game balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom