• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apart from sarcasm, why are most "Adult" gaming fans a bunch of kids?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It's a slightly tangental note, but I read on the back of a recent new book (Buyology) that recent research shows the brain's response to brands to be similar to that of religion. I'm probably going to pick up that book to read more..cos I do think videogame messageboard culture represents probably a very interesting microcosm from a psychological point of view.

I'd be interested in what you discover from the book :)

I am curious about something with brands/fans : i find that i'm not put off by brands etc - i'm put off by the fans of said brands (even outside of video games) :

Apple
Manchester Utd
etc

i have nothing against the brands at all, in some cases i'm deeply fond of the brand, but when i hear the opinion of the fans of that brand i want to run/rebel against it -even though it is counter to what i think-.

ESPECIALLY Man Utd fans... in the 90s especially. I knew they were a great team, but the fans... jeeeesus.

LCfiner

I originally thought the question was more about why kids love adult themed games. And why those themes tend to be blowing shit up.

And it's the same reason I loved Predator when I was 12 (and still do). because it kicks ass.

LCfiner said:
I originally thought the question was more about why kids love adult themed games. And why those themes tend to be blowing shit up.

And it's the same reason I loved Predator when I was 12 (and still do). because it kicks ass.
It's an essential part of growing up. Teens think they have to prove friends and parents that they can stand watching blood and violence.

Chinner

Banned
Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid is a serious game made exclusively for adults. It has many mature and serious themes in such as:
  • Nuclear Weapons are bad
  • Killing people is bad
  • War is bad
  • Genetics are bad
  • People are bad
  • Gigantic Dinosaurs with lazer dicks are bad
  • butts are nice

I don't believe it's due to anonymity, there are twats out there in real life that have pointless arguements and act like children. You see people like this all the time.

If you see someone in a shop arguing with his wife about him having cooked dinner last night so she should be handling the kids in the supermarket, and then a guy arguing about sales of a game on the internet, there's no difference? Both guys are fuckheads, there's no conclusion to the arguement, no right or wrong, and neither of them are getting sex that evening.

Spoit

Screw forums, what about all the 'journalists' who are just as infantile and just feed the fanboy flames?

I don't know when people starting being so personal about gaming. I don't know if it's that they have to defend their choice of how they spent that 400+ dollars, or if it's something else. In any case, gaming has reached a sort of level that politics or religion would be in. People take them really personally, there may or may not be a lot of logic in those feelings and it causes a lot of heated arguments. I don't think video games are anywhere near as important of topics, but for some reason people act like they are.

if you guys think this is bad, try finding more than 3 even seldomly intelligent posts (out of hundreds) on any random Yahoo Sports Football blog comment section. Especially one dealing with the Dallas Cowboys or New York Giants. :lol

Worse than GameFaqs, worse than YouTube comments.
I legitimately feel more stupid after subjecting myself to that.

Haunted

TheJollyCorner said:
if you guys think this is bad, try finding more than 3 even seldomly intelligent posts (out of hundreds) on any random Yahoo Sports Football blog comment section. Especially one dealing with the Dallas Cowboys or New York Giants. :lol

:eek:

TheJollyCorner said:

You're so fucking right.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Chinner said:
Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid is a serious game made exclusively for adults. It has many mature and serious themes in such as:
  • Nuclear Weapons are bad
  • Killing people is bad
  • War is bad
  • Genetics are bad
  • People are bad
  • Gigantic Dinosaurs with lazer dicks are bad
    [*]butts are nice

:lol

When it comes down to it, most "adults" are pretty damn bad at behaving like whatever Platonic form of adults you are imagining, particularly when there are few if any consequences on the line for their behaviour.

sonicmj1

Stop It said:
To add to my earlier post, it also explains why this forum is the way it is.

The current trend of games that are apparently "mature" has brainwashed a generation of gamers into thinking that they are in fact, mature and thus more clever than everyone else. This attitude has cascaded onto forums where suddenly, opinions don't exist any more, everything spouted by these "enlightened" gamers is fact and thus, hyperbole reigns supreme.

This has caused a lack of a middle ground, here and in most gaming forums, and has affected every sphere of conversation, games are either "GOTF" or "Utter Shit" and anyone who tries to moderate opinion on these games are wrong; Good examples of this are GTA4, suddenly the worst game ever after arguably the biggest hype the gaming world has ever seen, and KZ2, currently untouchable as the best game ever made, ever, shits on everything, apparently.

What is worse is how this has now invaded things like Sales Age and discussing the future of consoles, everything is now a bomba or "great success", consoles are either dead or about to sell like mad, the "Year of the" meme has got to the point where I cannot tell quite who is being cynical or sincere any more.

So, if gaming wants to be seen as truly an "Adult" hobby, the hobbyists have a lot of growing up to do.

I think you're reading a bit too much into your earlier conclusions here.

As others have said, this phenomenon occurs in just about any hobby where factions can exist. There's no reason to believe that games are special in this regard, and to extrapolate further and claim that the only reason that we argue about video games is because M rated games have brainwashed us into believing we are the only mature or correct people seems completely absurd to me. I know that people who don't play these kinds of titles can be guilty of the exact same behavior.

If the freeware community can be factionalized over a choice between two perfectly competent text editors, why is the video game community somehow special and different?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Stop It said:
To add to my earlier post, it also explains why this forum is the way it is.

The current trend of games that are apparently "mature" has brainwashed a generation of gamers into thinking that they are in fact, mature and thus more clever than everyone else. This attitude has cascaded onto forums where suddenly, opinions don't exist any more, everything spouted by these "enlightened" gamers is fact and thus, hyperbole reigns supreme.

This has caused a lack of a middle ground, here and in most gaming forums, and has affected every sphere of conversation, games are either "GOTF" or "Utter Shit" and anyone who tries to moderate opinion on these games are wrong; Good examples of this are GTA4, suddenly the worst game ever after arguably the biggest hype the gaming world has ever seen, and KZ2, currently untouchable as the best game ever made, ever, shits on everything, apparently.

What is worse is how this has now invaded things like Sales Age and discussing the future of consoles, everything is now a bomba or "great success", consoles are either dead or about to sell like mad, the "Year of the" meme has got to the point where I cannot tell quite who is being cynical or sincere any more.

So, if gaming wants to be seen as truly an "Adult" hobby, the hobbyists have a lot of growing up to do.

Actually, this is one thing that does set videogame fans apart from any other type of fan right now. The trick is that every kind of fandom has its own version of this: for instance sports fans think they're armchair coaches because watching modern, idiot-proof sportscasts makes them feel empowered.

As for games, I see this as a reason why we have such a terrible run of faux-mature games that are "mature" just because they're gritty and people swear a lot, or they mention sex and bathroom humor. Gamers are full of a false sense of maturity, and so the product they want more of is not actual mature (or sophisticated) content, but more of what they think is "teh mature". Sometimes I think the problem with a lot of developers is that they're not much different than the fans they're making games for. They're the same "kids" only with more technical expertise and when they say "NOW I WILL PROPOSE A MATURE GAME" they think they are being clever if they come up with hip street gangsters or grab some thick book they vaguely remember from a college course on literature and make a cliff-notes-cum-anime version of its plot.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm an immature person, period. Most adults I know are "immature." I'm a trader. You will probably not find a more immature group of people anywhere. My wife works at a hospital and the doctors there go around making fun of patients, engage in borderline sexual harassment, tell the raunchiest jokes, and generally behave like asses most of the time.

The "mature" people I know are generally mentally lazy, boring as shit, never take risks in life, and prefer to see the world only from their narrow minded perspective.

I like NeoGAF BECAUSE it's a collection of immature adults... just like me. I wouldn't want it any other way.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ultimately, ego. People get butthurt easily when they're competitive, be it pro athletes, beer leaguers, or gamers.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
RSTEIN said:
I'm an immature person, period. Most adults I know are "immature." I'm a trader. You will probably not find a more immature group of people anywhere. My wife works at a hospital and the doctors there go around making fun of patients, engage in borderline sexual harassment, tell the raunchiest jokes, and generally behave like asses most of the time.

The "mature" people I know are generally mentally lazy, boring as shit, never take risks in life, and prefer to see the world only from their narrow minded perspective.

I like NeoGAF BECAUSE it's a collection of immature adults... just like me. I wouldn't want it any other way.
That's actually a pretty good point.

Ptaaty

look no further that Chevy Vs Ford, sports and sporting fans, Nascar, any number of examples....

It isn't that adult gaming fans are a bunch of kids...it is that adults in general have far more of these tendancies than you first realize.

This is further magnified in videogames because I believe video gamers tend to be a bit more involved in tech and are more likely to own a computer and post. This leads to the anonymous asshole syndrome as well.

Threi

notag
VOOK said:
Apart from sarcasm, why are most "Adult" gaming fans a bunch of kids?
Because videogaming is a juvenile hobby, so a large majority of those who enjoy it are juvenile in nature.

nli10

Games tend to simulate competition not team-work so those attracted to games tend to exhibit the same traits. Even co-op games currently encourage teamwork to up scores and finish levels for points - to then compare against other teams.

People not interested in getting lots of kills, high scores, tetrises etc. probably won't be interested in most current games enough to register wait then come back and chat.

Most gamers act far more childlike when playing, as the rules of the game world are not those of our own. This carries over to talk about them (as with sports). Our 'play state' attitude to violence and malice in games does not carry over to some non-gamers who seem to think that murder in a game is differnet to murder in a play and leads to all kinds of misunderstandings. This effect also contributes to the 'group think' attitude of message boards - if one player gets more kills by jumping a lot then we all learn to do the same to get similar sucess rates.

Games for people with different Psychologies (nurturing games, wii music style electronic toys, games where individuals progress cannot be directly compared) are in their infancy and only tend to get negative mentions on game message boards currently. If you can't show your prowess off in a quantitative way then we just aren't that interested.

I'm platform agnostic these days, I'm mostly here for the news and data.
I'll admit that it's just fun to watch the carnage too. :D

Ranger X

I heard it's even worse in other hobbies...

Also, people on the internet think they are smart but in fact they show their true self. Reality is, most people are crap and immature.

pvpness

As with most other human issues, the answers are insecurity and fear. Though deep, deep down it's really just fear.

:lol You and I live in two vastly different worlds RSTEIN.

P90

VOOK said:
This is really starting to piss me off it's like no one who likes games can be serious about it, and knowing GAF this thread will probably end up being filled with stupidity but I really am being serious.

Why is it everything "video games" ultimately turns into a pissing match?

- Console wars
- Lineups
- Sale Charts

Maybe GAF isn't the best place to ask :/

I find the "pissing matches" to be quite fun. Like Michael Vick and his dogs... (just kidding)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
VOOK said:
This transcends the internet though, even in person people are a bunch of morons. Maybe I'm getting old and sit of these things :p

I don't know about you, but my circle of friends act stupid on everything but videogames.

For some reason they are a bunch of gentleman when talking about everything gaming related.

This is a complicated hobby (many platforms, resolutions, formats, devs, games, generations, genres etc)
with a lot of passionate fans (fanboys)
and a lot of disinformation out there ("PS3 has no good games for it")

when you throw in the built in statistic that gamers are generally proficient internet users anyway, you have all of the ingredients for fervent debate, flame wars, trolling, and immaturity.

Unfortunately I think it's just inherent in our hobby these days.

ReiGun

People are immature and dont like opinions that arent their own. Nothing you can do about it. Might as well just sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Stop It said:
What is defined as "Adult" games here are actually testosterone filled games aimed squarely at teenagers, whereas games like Wii Fit, Brain Training and the like are truly Adult games because they break down the barriers of gaming and appeal to the general adult populace, not just children and adults who wish they still were.

So adult games are boring? Cause at age 38 I have zero interest in the two games you mentioned.

Slavik81

Tntnnbltn said:
Holy shit, they used the military conflict infobox. :lol
"Casualties and losses: Unknown"

o_O

nli10 said:
Games for people with different Psychologies (nurturing games, wii music style electronic toys, games where individuals progress cannot be directly compared) are in their infancy and only tend to get negative mentions on game message boards currently. If you can't show your prowess off in a quantitative way then we just aren't that interested.
SimCity_Mac.png

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The amount of attention that is devoted to PR stooges here is amazing in the worst possible way.

tino

Banned
It still comes down to people (young or old) can't afford to have multiple consoles. Same reason people joined in the BR/HDDVD war.

After I brought my HD console, I owned the other HD console briefly for a few months. It did open my eyes up in the perspective of things. Now I just "enjoyed" the console war threads, I don't get into them.

edit: However the more memorized frame war I experiened are between Yankess/Rdsox fans. Video game nerds are nothing.

soco

i don't see this as a videogame specific thing. for me, it's largely a male thing, although i've seen some females get caught up in it. i know plenty of people who are in their 30s-50s who aren't into videogames and are just as much about pissing contests, name calling, and general drama.

for those that go to the internet this can be exaggerated, but it certainly doesn't need the internet for that.

Top Bottom