• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Coming to 3DS eShop in November

Are you sure you don't mean the mobile? As far as I know the only difference are redrawn sprites between DS and 3ds.

They improved it from mobile to 3ds but from memory there were still missing animation frames. And I just flat out don't like the new sprites, they just look like upscaled filtered versions of the original.

Is this a necessary game for the series? I don't remember the reception being particularly hot and my playthrough of the trilogy hitting a brick wall in the form of that circus case made me not pick this one up.

But I got the first 3DS one in a sale, and have been waiting for the trilogy to go back on sale and start a fresh journey.

This game wasn't that well received when it was new, but time has been kinder to it. It marks a definite turning point in the series, with a 7-year time shift from the previous games and some dramatic changes to the lives of the main characters. Combined with the new main character who isn't all that fleshed out in this game, it turned out to be too much change for players who wanted more of the characters they knew and love.

Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice (the fifth and sixth game, respectively) build upon the foundation that Apollo Justice started, and they retroactively improve some of that game's flaws. As such, this game is vital to anyone who plans to play beyond the first three games in the series.

The game's biggest problem is that it has one of the weakest cases in the entire series (though Big Top in the second game is still worse), but on the other hand, it has what is arguably the best opening case in the main series. It also features one of my personal favorite villains.

Andyliini

I didn't see confirmation for European release on that press release. Has anything been confirmed for Europe officially? I'll buy this when it releases, if it comes over.

FluxWaveZ

I like Phoenix in this game more than in DD and SoJ.

People like to justify it by saying he had a ton of time to prepare for what goes on in AA4 after the events of AA3, but I don't buy that as a reason for his portrayal in the new games. He still has some of the AA4 tendencies when you're not playing as him, at least. I like that DD and SoJ show that, while mature and respectable on the outside, he's still a sarcastic goof on the inside.

$20 is way too much. It's just one game, and I believe the original trilogy launched at $30. This should be between $10 and $15 at the most.

This is still great news though; I'll be buying it once it goes on sale.

People like to justify it by saying he had a ton of time to prepare for what goes on in AA4 after the events of AA3, but I don't buy that as a reason for his portrayal in the new games. He still has some of the AA4 tendencies when you're not playing as him, at least. I like that DD and SoJ show that, while mature and respectable on the outside, he's still a sarcastic goof on the inside.

Phoenix's portrayal in AA4 never really bothered me, as I figured he has no reason to be on edge and nervous anymore as he's no longer in scenarios where he's responsible for the lives of innocent people, with his back constantly to the wall in the courtroom. Having no real responsibilities at all likely mellowed him out a lot (that's not to say it wasn't shitty for him though). He may also have developed his seemingly carefree attitude as a coping mechanism for having lost the profession that defined him. Or it could be an act to hide the fact that he had been working to find the truth behind is disbarment for so long.

His portrayal in DD and SoJ kind of bugs me though, as he has two completely separate personalities depending on whether you're playing as him or not. If you're playing as him, he's the same as he was in the original trilogy, but if you're playing as Apollo or Athena, he's a lot more like he was in AA. Either one would be fine, but seeing him shift between the two can be jarring.

Velcro Fly

I'm buying this for sure. Will never forgive Capcom for how they treat the series here though. It deserves better and so do fans.

Wow I didn't expect these responses. I guess I'll have to start from the first one and work my way up.

I guess it'll help explain
what the heck happened to Phoenix Wright
in this game.

Now to see how much the first one is and if I'll enjoy it.

The trilogy doesn't really answer that, Apollo Justice does, it's just that if you want to get into the series as a whole, the trilogy is great. Apollo Justice is a bit of a shift in the series and the start of it's own trilogy, and games that come after it do summarize important events and characters in the trilogy, but there is only one returning character besides Phoenix in this game so it's relatively self-contained. I say the playing the trilogy is for the best if you want to really appreciate everything, but if you're only interested in Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice, then Apollo Justice is more important.

SalvaPot

images

Genio88

Please just give mem a new main one on Switch, and if it hasn't to be a Phoenix Wright game than at least be Miles Edgeworth Investigation

ryushe

I'm not usually one to complain about price, but $20 Apollo Justice is a bit much and this is coming from someone who loves this game.

DVCY201

Oh cool! I tried getting into 5 after playing 1-3 and it just felt weird. This should finally close that gap, and then I can get 6 too

Actually, there are more than that, although some have only very minor cameos.

Ema, the Judge, Winston Payne, Dick Gumshoe, Mike Meekins, and Director Hickfield (the creepy "doctor").

Bah, I don't know why I forgot them, I guess I was only thinking of their importantance in regards to continuity
since Ema mentions knowing Phoenix and shows up fairly often, also I knew about the Judge and Payne but, didn't count them because Judge doesn't really need introductions and Payne a tutorial.(who lacks presence)

Sweet. Will probably pick it up at some stage.

Though... Switch collection of the series, please? They actually have proper HD versions for tablet devices, so it's doable.

ryushe

His portrayal in DD and SoJ kind of bugs me though, as he has two completely separate personalities depending on whether you're playing as him or not. If you're playing as him, he's the same as he was in the original trilogy, but if you're playing as Apollo or Athena, he's a lot more like he was in AA. Either one would be fine, but seeing him shift between the two can be jarring.
This is easily my least favorite thing about DD (haven't played SoJ yet). I honestly wished the new series was only focused on Apollo and only had Phoenix in a mentor role ala Mia cause mentor Phoenix is best Phoenix.

This is the one out of the main 6 I left out because people were reselling it at stupid prices so I'm more than willing to pay £15-£20.
I might binge the series again when this drops.

VegiHam

Oh awesome, I'm totally buying this. It's not the best Ace Attorney but it's the one I'm most nostalgic for.

This was the only once I've finished (I'm making my way through the trilogy now), and I loved it. I definitely need to play through it again, as I can't remember much of cases 3 & 4. Was it
magicians
and
the band
? Or was that the same case?

Case 2 and 5 especially were fantastic though.

rekameohs

Banned
This was the only once I've finished (I'm making my way through the trilogy now), and I loved it. I definitely need to play through it again, as I can't remember much of cases 3 & 4. Was it
magicians
and
the band
? Or was that the same case?

Case 2 and 5 especially were fantastic though.
There's only 4 cases. 1 is the poker game, 2 is the hit and run, 3 is the band, and 4 goes pretty bonkers, including the magicians.

YEEEESSSS!!!!

Guys... I've been wondering how I could play this game! And was wishing for a 3DS port/remake. I purchases my first Ace Attorney game last year when Ace Attorney Trilogy went on sale on the eShop. Loved them! Then purchased Dual Destinies at launch but haven't played it yet because I wanted to play Gyakuten Saiban 4. I thought about just playing Dual Destinies and hoping for the best but I know how interconnected these cases are.

This is great news! I can have Gyakuten Saiban 1 - 6 all on 3DS!

Zaru

I like Phoenix in this game more than in DD and SoJ.

Rugged mentor Phoenix "I've seen some shit" Wright was a unique existence in the franchise and they dialed it back to classic "sweating profusely" Wright in the 3DS games. Kind of a shame, but people were too used to classic Wright I guess.

Jacobson

If this fall goes by with no announcement of GAA 1 and 2 being localized, the dream is dead.

That's the equivalent length of time it took for Dragon Quest VII and VIII.

:(

It wouldn't be the worst. The game is relatively self-contained. The whole trilogy is up on the eShop already though, and Phoenix Wright 1 is probably the best way to go if you're going to play through all of them.

Also AAI please.

Diablos54

Has the worst case in the series (that fucking band video...) but apart from that still a quality AA title, will pick this up just for the sake of having 1-6 on my 3DS

Joqu

Buying this for the novelty of owning all mainline Ace Attorney games on 3DS, and to support the series of course. But man. This is not the 3DS Ace Attorney game I've been waiting for...

Soooo..is this one of those things where they want fan's money for the 3ds version first and then they announce the compilation people want on the platform people want it on?

Soooo..is this one of those things where they want fan's money for the 3ds version first and then they announce the compilation people want on the platform people want it on?

Possibly. It also means the entirety of the mainline series is on one - and a current, for however many more years - platform. Even if we don't get Switch ports for the time being, that's more ideal for fans and new gamers to get in on the series.

Rncewind

i hope they do this and bring a retail collection on switch so i can finally buy them

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Now we need both Investigations there and we're done.

We're never getting Great Ace Attorney in the west, are we?

Possibly. It also means the entirety of the mainline series is on one - and a current, for however many more years - platform. Even if we don't get Switch ports for the time being, that's more ideal for fans and new gamers to get in on the series.
I guess so. Backwards compatibility on 3DS sort of negated that need in the first place; the, err, quadrilogy isn't that hard to find as physical DS games

Awesome! Now we need both Investigations there and we're done.

We're never getting Great Ace Attorney in the west, are we?
Stranger things have happened in gaming, but chances are slim

Zalman

If Dai Gyakuten Saiban comes to the West it's going to underperform compared to the main series and then Capcom will never localize an Ace Attorney game again.

DukeBobby

Has the worst case in the series (that fucking band video...) but apart from that still a quality AA title, will pick this up just for the sake of having 1-6 on my 3DS

It has the best first case in the series, though.

It's just a shame the rest of the game isn't as good.

Top Bottom