• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Coming to 3DS eShop in November

I guess so. Backwards compatibility on 3DS sort of negated that need in the first place; the, err, quadrilogy isn't that hard to find as physical DS games

Well, ease of the eshop and the price on physical copies is worth considering. The games - particularly Apollo Justice - can retain a surprising amount of value at times. Then again, that probably also varies by region too.

mrmickfran

Already got it on DS but it's nice for anyone who wants to get into the series to have all entries on one system.

All mainline ones anyway :(

EDIT: Japan gets a physical collection? WHAT THE EFFF

THANK YOU. It was very jarring to have 1-3 and 5&6 digital on 3ds and only the DS cart for 4. Pretty bad for my OCD. At least now I'll have everything in a folder and won't have to skip entries.

I would have liked it sooner but eh, November it is.
Weird, isn't it?

Why announce this for November? It's a decade-old game, just release the damn thing next week

Well, ease of the eshop and the price on physical copies is worth considering. The games - particularly Apollo Justice - can retain a surprising amount of value at times. Then again, that probably also varies by region too.
Sure, I would have expected it sooner in the 3DS's lifespan though. We're at the point where completing a collection on this platform is starting to feel like wasted money already.

Renewed

This is really cool since I've started the series a little while ago. Almost done with the last case for Ace Attorney and then moving on, so maybe I'll wrap up the trilogy by the time Apollo Justice is out!

Sure, I would have expected it sooner in the 3DS's lifespan though. We're at the point where completing a collection on this platform is starting to feel like wasted money already.

On that I somewhat agree. But well, this is Capcom, and trying to figure out their business decisions is a matter of arcane nonsense.

Jawmuncher

Thank you so much capcom.
/s

I love AJ, but I want TGAA not rereleases of the stuff I've played a dozen times now

Edit: Lol WTF at that Japanese collectors edition. Just adds more salt to the wound. I'd be all over that. God damn I'm so mad AA is treated like shit over here from a company bigger than those who translate huge JRPGs on the reg

Apollo is flawed but I appreciate it more than pretty much every AA game that came after it.
It's a shame it couldn't go full reboot, I think that's what the series needs most right now.
Even so what it did with Wright and Skye was unexpected yet on the whole appreciated in regards to doing something unexpected with character development.

Wright in particular gained such an enjoyable edge here that's unfortunately lost entirely in newer games as they revert to an incredibly safe take on classic Wright that feels stagnant as heck.

Apollo himself unfortunately doesn't have much going on here, though he does feel more straight man to everyone else's eccentricity, they even seem to have an intentional gimmick of defendants being uncooperative for various reasons in this one which is an interesting albeit frustrating take on things.
Trucy is great, my favourite sidekick and one who is unfortunately sidelined after this game.

There's no denying though that case 4-3 is quite possibly the worst in the series for a myriad of reasons, really drags Apollo down.

MrBadger

There's no denying though that case 4-3 is quite possibly the worst in the series for a myriad of reasons, really drags Apollo down.

9e0fc08b5805fcf793a84f09990edef7--kid-pictures-text-pictures.jpg

Dingens

I wish they could've gone the extra mile and included all localisations... the first 4 games are available at least in euro-5, and releasing text adventures in english and japanese only doesn't make much sense in Europe. Couldn't have been that much work to insert the old localisations surely.

khaaan

Haha thanks.

But for real, I'm really excited. I finished the trilogy I think sometime last summer and not being able to play Apollo Justice when I already have Dual Destinies was a bummer. My options were to track it down and pay a decent chunk of change (everything was at least $50 last I checked) or grab the mobile version. I actually heard good things about the mobile ports of the game but for whatever reason I still have an aversion to purchasing things on my phone.

fireflame

I got the physical copy two years ago on amazon for about 17 euros i think, in Europe. apparently now on amazon and ebay, best prices are between 27-35 euros.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just started Trials and Tribulations after completing J4A. Timing is great given the pace I am moving through the trilogy.

I have no interest in replaying any Ace Attorney game but I'm glad 3DS (and mobile) players can fall in love with the series like I did years ago on the DS.

Now people can enjoy Turnabout Serenade in *3D*

Speaking of this, is that infamous performance video finally going to be displayed in a much more crisper definition?

Dagnabbit! I saw "Ace Attorney" and "3DS" and got hyped thinking it was the Great Ace Attorney game getting localized. Clicked thread swiftly and then finally registered the "Apollo Justice" name ahead of those two words. lol

Weird this seems to get hate, or at least not rated as highly.
This actually was the first AA game I played back in the DS days, (unwisely now looking back, I would reccommend AA1-3 first, but dont think its catastrophic to play this first and AA1-3 afterwards), so, maybe it's nostalgia talking but wouldn't say it's the worst now. Dual Destinies is probably that to me now, probably AAI1 is behind that too for me.

Isn't this essentially the android/iOS port to 3DS too?
Already got it on android, which lately is winning against 3DS for games like this, so probably won't get it again, maybe when it gets very cheap.

It's not actually that weird when you consider that the game that came before it was pretty much spotless story-wise with great characters , great reveal , awesome cases and the conclusion of 3 games ...
AA is a good game but it's clearly weaker than the ones that came before it.

Once on the DS was more than enough for me, but I'm glad that the series is finally accessible in its complete form on the 3DS Eshop for anyone to play it. God, I love this series so much ;_;

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Would this be a good place to start? I never played any of the Ace Attorney games.

Start with the Trilogy already on the 3DS eShop. Arguably still the best Ace Attorney experience and the proper place to start. Dig into Apollo after(its the fourth game).

leroidys

Does anyone know if this game will feature the stereoscopic 3D effect that 1-3 got? Can't find this info anywhere- kind of assuming it doesn't.

Cool that it's coming. I actually really like this game, with the huge exception of the absolutely awful concert case.

BTA

I think so. It was even meant to be a soft reboot for the series. The first Ace Attorney is the best place to start though.

I mean, it was meant to be a reboot, but the later games don't follow through on that at all.

It's best to start with the original games, because although I do like Apollo Justice, frankly, 5 isn't great and while 6 is good, some of that depends on you having played the originals anyway, so there's no real point in rushing to the later ones.

Regiruler

$20 seems kind of steep when I got the trilogy for that much, and I know from experience there's no replay in these things.

$20 seems kind of steep when I got the trilogy for that much, and I know from experience there's no replay in these things.
I still revisit AA from time to time. I treat them like novels. Some people will read them multiple times, some won't.

That being said they go on sale frequently anyway.

Link1110

Hmm... That 1 to 6 compilation looks super tempting but I already have the other physical ones... In for 4 whether or not i resist temptation

When he was the coolest cat in the game. Then he got nerfed in AA5

There were good reasons for why he would behave like that in just that game though.

Apollo Justice spoilers:
He doesn't trust Apollo (Apollo is Kristoph Gavin's protegé after all) until late in the game, keeping him both at a distance and on a tight leash. His laid-back attitude comes from him not wanting to show his hand to a potential enemy.

Apollo has mostly gained his trust by the time the fifth game rolls around though, and in that game, we also get different perspectives on Wright, such as his own and Athena's. This all comes together to create the appearance of Wright having changed dramatically
when it's really just our perspective of him that has changed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There were good reasons for why he would behave like that in just that game though.

Apollo Justice spoilers:
He doesn't trust Apollo (Apollo is Kristoph Gavin's protegé after all) until late in the game, keeping him both at a distance and on a tight leash. His laid-back attitude comes from him not wanting to show his hand to a potential enemy.

Apollo has mostly gained his trust by the time the fifth game rolls around though, and in that game, we also get different perspectives on Wright, such as his own and Athena's. This all comes together to create the appearance of Wright having changed dramatically
On that same note, I feel like seeing Phoenix from Apollo's perspective added an entirely new level of depth to his character that is more fully fleshed out BECAUSE we see him in the main seat again in AA5 and AA6. We see how Phoenix looks from an outside and inside perspective, how much the visible thoughts going through his head change our perspective of him as a viewer, and how his persona comes off to others as compared to who he really is inside. Whenever Phoenix showed up in Apollo's or Athena's chapters, I definitely felt hints of "bum Phoenix" or mentor Phoenix in him. It's only when we get a look inside his head and see him from his own perspective again that he turns back into a seemingly incompetent goofball. This shows the most during (AA6 spoilers!)
AA6's second to last case, where Apollo faces off against Phoenix in court - he seems deadly capable as an opponent, despite being the same old Phoenix we know and love when playing as him.

ZeroX03

Banned

Apollo Justice spoilers:

I don’t really agree with that reading at all. Phoenix was prepping Apollo, but really cases 2 and 3 have little to do with the main story and I don’t think Phoenix ever really thought
Apollo would betray him for Kristoph or anything like that

Also cool, calm, collected and prepared Phoenix is definitely out the window in 5 and 6. He’s certainly more mature in his outward appearance and behavior than the original trilogy but it’s still a noticeable regression from 4. Remember in 5 he’s supposed to be
helping Edgeworth but seems woefully out of the loop on practically everything
. It was a missed opportunity honestly.

(Months late response lol)

Top Bottom