• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple CEO Tim Cook spotted at video game designer Valve's headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrakier

Tim Cook is the CEO is the most powerful company on the planet. He won't get on a plane and fly to meet with another company to ask for a iOS game. He'd send lackies to do that.

Wait, waht, Apple is now the most powerful company on the planet...? o_O

Thrakier

We have some delusional Apple fans on the forum, ignore.

Insane. I'd say even in their niche they aren't the most powerful company (Android is going strong and will be so even more in the future) and they are strongly related to a certrain live-style/fashion/trend whatever. Doesn't mean their tech isn't great but the hype could be over just as fast as it came. Not saying it'll happen but decades ago, you know, a company named Sony...ah, nevermind. :p

Cheebo

Banned
Insane. I'd say even in their niche they aren't the most powerful company (Android is going strong and will be so even more in the future) and they are strongly related to a certrain live-style/fashion/trend whatever. Doesn't mean their tech isn't great but the hype could be over just as fast as it came. Not saying it'll happen but decades ago, you know, a company named Sony...ah, nevermind. :p

Apple is far far bigger than Google. Or Microsoft for that matter.

Ulairi

Banned
Did you know that Gabe loves Nintendo games? Nintendo needs an online services solution. OMG!!!!! NINTENDO BUYING VALVE!!!!!!!!!!

Cheebo

Banned
Did you know that Gabe loves Nintendo games? Nintendo needs an online services solution. OMG!!!!! NINTENDO BUYING VALVE!!!!!!!!!!

Call me when Iwata flies to Seattle to meet with Gabe Newell till then your comparison is downright stupid.

Thrakier

Apple is far far bigger than Google. Or Microsoft for that matter.

Maybe (I actually don't know tbh), but their products aren't as important. There is a difference between a search engine (and tons of other services obviously) which basically dictates a huge part of the public communication process and...good looking phones and mp3 players and a music store.

Corto

If you had a photo of Iwata all kissy kissy with Gabe then you could be on to something. And please no photoshops, we can spot those instantly.

Koroviev

Ryaaan14

Banned
If Apple throws it's hat into the console business, it worries me mostly as a traditional gamer, as much as I adore Apple. Apple's business models work, and if they were to release a traditional console that has competitive hardware and all the 3rd party support - they would probably find themselves losing money. However if they pull some shit and "re-invent gaming" just like how they re-invented the god damn phone and tablets, then they will most likely have an incredibly high selling piece of hardware that doesn't do anything hardcore gamers want. And with the awful spending habits of mobile users, ie Angry Birds, or Facebook games, they will likely go after that market.

It'll be interesting to see how they avoid cannibalising themselves with all the games they have to offer in the app store if they do decide to look into a console or Steam support.

Cheebo

Banned
Don't you get it? Valve likes Nintendo. Nintendo needs an online service provier. Imagine a Nintendo Valve Steambox? It would be AMAZING. OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!

This is only a story because The CEO of Apple flew to meet with Valve. It would be a huge story if Iwata flew to Valve. Which he didnt.
You are just embarrassing yourself

beast786

Maybe (I actually don't know tbh), but their products aren't as important. There is a difference between a search engine (and tons of other services obviously) which basically dictates a huge part of the public communication process and...good looking phones and mp3 players and a music store.

apple is worth more than google and Microsoft combine. Apple has more than 100 billion dollars just sitting in the bank.

You think CEO cook will go to Valve HQ because of some controller or whatever. COOK is not an engineer who will discuss the technical aspect. CEO of the biggest company in the world is probably there to start or finish a deal.

Cheebo

Banned

You don't know how many businesses rely on apple products do you? If all macs disappeared right now the entertainment industry would be fucked. Almost all major studios rely on macs for animated movies/shows, special effects, and editing. There would be no ILM or Pixar if macs went away.

Not to mention the music industry which is heavily built on mac software.

Apple is the computer backbone of the entertainment industry.

You can go outside entertainment as well, Facebook is ran on Macs and OSX.

To much of the entertainment industry Apple software like Final Cut Pro is as vital as MS Office is to many businesses.

1-D_FTW

Don't you get it? Valve likes Nintendo. Nintendo needs an online service provier. Imagine a Nintendo Valve Steambox? It would be AMAZING. OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!

You really should read something like:

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/

Valve is not a traditional company at all. And contracting them to be Nintendo's online provider is just never happening. It's not the way the company is structured. It's not even a matter of throwing enough money at the issue.

EDIT: Clearly I bent my sarcasm detector going through the tunnel. But for anyone who does think this is a possibility, read the blog.

rezuth

Tim Cook by all reporters is a humble kind guy. Steve Job was an asshole.

Tim Cook is far from a humble guy, I would say he is more humble than Steve Jobs though. However no matter how much of a nice guy you try to make him out to be he does not randomly visit companies for minor issues or thanks. This guy is running Apple atm, if you think he has time to just wander around being nice you should reconsider.

I'm okay with an Apple gaming system. But if it ends up pushing either Sony or Nintendo out of the console race, I'll be a sad panda. There's no room for 4 competitors. Hell, it wasn't until this gen that there's room for 3 (barely).

rezuth

According to the Fortune 500 list of 2011 Apple (65,225.0$M) has more revenue than Microsoft (62,484.0$M) and Google (29,321.0$M). But not than both combined.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/full_list/index.html

And before you quote Wikipedia to me, it's not reliable as it also says it's the largest technology company by revenue, even though Samsung is double it and Samsung Electronics is one fifth more.
What about profits? Not that I even know why we are discussing this, he said worth more.

Thrakier

You don't know how many businesses rely on apple products do you? If all macs disappeared right now the entertainment industry would be fucked. Almost all major studios rely on macs for animated movies/shows, special effects, and editing. There would be no ILM or Pixar if macs went away.

Not to mention the music industry which is heavily built on mac software.

Apple is the computer backbone of the entertainment industry.

You can go outside entertainment as well, Facebook is ran on Macs and OSX.

But that's not that their big chunk of money comes from, or? Is the masses which buy ipods and ipads, everything else is still, more or less, a niche. Also they could probably be easyily replaced with regular PCs running Windows or specialized software/linux whatever...just guesswork though. Still, they may be rich, though I don't think they are very important. Even stuff they more or less invented like the ipad...it's not more than a "nice to have" product. Up to this day I still don't know why I'd need something like that besides that it's a nice gadget. Google is very different from that, I think.

Also there are other companies (which I don't know) which are part of food or delivery or energy (oil etc.) chains which are probably way way more important than apple could ever be. They are still rich, obviously.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm okay with an Apple gaming system. But if it ends up pushing either Sony or Nintendo out of the console race, I'll be a sad panda. There's no room for 4 competitors. Hell, it wasn't until this gen that there's room for 3 (barely).

Yup, somebody is going out of business.

beast786

According to the Fortune 500 list of 2011 Apple (65,225.0$M) has more revenue than Microsoft (62,484.0$M) and Google (29,321.0$M). But not than both combined.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/full_list/index.html

And before you quote Wikipedia to me, it's not reliable as it also says it's the largest technology company by revenue, even though Samsung is double it and Samsung Electronics is one fifth more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/apple-market-cap-google-microsoft_n_1266101.html

keep in mind that apple market cao is actually much more now.

Revenue for public means nothing for its value. Public company are with the price of its market value, which is based on its stocks that give you it's ownership.

Riposte

I'm no fan of iOs games, at least the popular ones on this board, but these threads are always so overblown.

It is smart that if Apple were to release a console-like device that plays out of more like a PC (in the sense a tablet is more like a PC than a 3DS) that Valve jumps on the opportunity to get Steam on it. It is rather unfortunate I can't just boot up Steam on any of the three consoles.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Steam will become available through the iStore.

Sounds dumb, but it makes sense actually.

Derrick01

Banned
Yup. Apple could easily buy Valve.

They could if Valve were public, however they're not so it becomes a whole lot harder. I'm pretty sure Gabe is not interested in losing their independence no matter how much money Apple throws at them. A collaboration on something would be the biggest thing to happen from this meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom