• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple CEO Tim Cook spotted at video game designer Valve's headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCreasy

i take back what I said earlier about the streaming stuff. yeah i had it all wrong.

i forgot, the Apple Television will have more real estate and therefore more room for a beefy graphics card. this thing will be video game capable. you'll download games like regular apps, like you do now. the Television will just be able to play from there, no optical drive.

this thing will have high density pixel resolution. this married with next gen graphics will be mind blowing.

if their content deals with tv and movie studios are hitting some road blocks like we've heard, buffing out the gaming capabilities of the Apple Television is a smart move. they'll need to expand the content offering. they may very well be talking half life 3 for the Apple Television actually.

Buxaroo

Neo Member
TBH, I think this is a good thing. I am not a Mac user, but the only reason why I am not is because of the very reasons that Gabe stated in the OP: no fucking games. If I could play all of the games that I have on my steam account, not to mention the MMO's I play, on a Apple/Mac, I would leave Microshaft in a heartbeat. It's the only reason why I never bothered with Linux much either, no gaming, no commitment for me. Now that I see top end videocards available for the Mac, I see hardware isn't really a problem either, albeit mac's are more expensive (one of the good things about PC is that it's relatively cheap to mess with hardware compared to Mac's proprietary hardware).

But personally, I think this either has something to do with bringing Steam to the iPad, or possible partnership with Apple in making a console (it's already confirmed that Valve have job openings for hardware development http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/04/valve-looking-to-hire-hardware-engineers-for-unknown-project.ars). Maybe in a couple of years we will have the SteamPad or iSteamer to compete with the new consoles from Sony and Microshaft. With Apple's nack for making great hardware, and Valve's perfect digital distribution platform and footprint, it would be a marriage made in heaven I think.

EDIT: also the kicker would be: Half Life 3 debuting on a new Mac or iSteamPad or something.....I would probably nut all over the place. And that would be the death toll of Windows as a OS for the average person. Once the gamers go, the other users will probably through osmosis go with the Mac or linux anyways. Matter of fact, if I was just a software user (only spreadsheets/word processor/browser/no gaming) I would see no need to use a Windows OS.

LOCK

RId9S.gif

This never gets old, especially when used correctly, such as in this situation.

What if Apple and Valve join forces to make an Apple box with Steam. Expanded Apple TV?

So many possibilities.

Buxaroo

Neo Member
This never gets old, especially when used correctly, such as in this situation.

What if Apple and Valve join forces to make an Apple box with Steam. Expanded Apple TV?

So many possibilities.

Pretty much what I said except without the TV part. If anything, the new iSteamPad would have the ability, like most consoles do today, to stream TV. I've never seen Valve try their hand at the TV bit, but they definitely got the streaming/digital distribution platform down pat. But I still think it's a one of the 2 reasons I listed, which your idea of streaming TV would fit quite nicely in either :)

trinest

People do realise this is mostly Apple just checking out Valve because of the work they do to supply Mac games and try and see how they can make it keep happening in the future and stronger.

Aka nothing sinister.

aeroslash

People do realise this is mostly Apple just checking out Valve because of the work they do to supply Mac games and try and see how they can make it keep happening in the future and stronger.

Aka nothing sinister.

I don't think the CEO of Apple would go to Valve for that..

Thrakier

The iPad kick started the tablet market which is on track to become the best selling pc form factor (already is outselling the desktop market). How is that not hugely important?

How is a ipad important to anyone? It's nothing more than a nice to have gadget more so than a dmartphone. They are a important company in their niche, sure, they did a lot for the dmartphone Marketing as well and they are rich. But no way in hell a company selling luxury technisch gadget is "the most powerful company on the planet". I don't believe it for a second but Im fine if you do so.

Edit
Sorry for typos writing from a german smartphone B-)

rezuth

How is a ipad important to anyone? It's nothing more than a nice to have gadget more so than a dmartphone. They are a important company in their niche, sure, they did a lot for the dmartphone Marketing as well and they are rich. But no way in hell a company selling luxury technisch gadget is "the most powerful company on the planet". I don't believe it for a second but Im fine if you do so.

Why are people so uncomfortable when talking about Post-PC products and the transition in the industry?

Mastgrr

So much hyperbole. Tim Cook gets around, so did Jobs. They're always going to developers, political leaders, manufacturers, competitors to get input (or to give input).

The last thing Apple is going to do is buy Valve or partner with them for hardware. Apple doesn't need Valve because Valve has nothing to offer them (unless Valve secretly has facilities that mass produce displays or ram better then Apple's current partners).

App Store already mirrors what Steam does but only on a much broader scale. They don't need or want Steam.

Vast majority of Steam's userbase is Windows users. They probably want to work with Valve to better suit their OS and hardware for developers to gain marketshare.

You raise multiple great points. Is it cooperation on a new piece of hardware? Heck no. Steam integration with their stores or devices? Heck no. If there's one thing Apple's interested in Valve, it's the software titles - that's about it. They're popular PC games on the Mac.

C4Lukins

I doubt this means anything. Maybe Valve will invest more in Apple products, but Steam is not simply something that can just be converted over to an Apple gaming machine. The vast majority of games are built with Windows in mind. I am not sure where the anger or excitement is coming from here.

rezuth

I doubt this means anything. Maybe Valve will invest more in Apple products, but Steam is not simply something that can just be converted over to an Apple gaming machine. The vast majority of games are built with Windows in mind. I am not sure where the anger or excitement is coming from here.

Sure it can, not that I think it will but they already have it for OS X so most of the job is already done. Lots of games have been converted and more are on its way. Not to mention the big library of iOS games that could be easily ported and some have already on the AppStore for OS X.

railGUN

Banned

the possibilities...

Mastgrr

Why are people so uncomfortable when talking about Post-PC products and the transition in the industry?

Because there's a strong refusal among a lot of folks to believe it. It's a clash between what's happening and wanting it to not be that way.

When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks. But as people moved more towards urban centers, people started to get into cars. I think PCs are going to be like trucks. Less people will need them.

I bet that this was something Gabe Newell also wanted to ask Tim Cook about. How can Valve become as effective as it possibly can on the iOS platform? Right now, their only presence is Steam for iOS. It's a communication app for an entire social game store. It's everything that encompasses Valve stripped down to its very bare bones…

C4Lukins

For me, it is because the transition is going in 50 different directions. You have Origin, Steam, Battle.net, GFW, Facebook and a dozen other PC platforms. You have mobile gaming which is mainly split into Apple, Android, and MS but even that is further segmented based on provider and the phone you purchase and what generation it is.

You have the PSP, Vita, DS, and 3DS still all as viable gaming oriented handhelds. Then you have the various tablets. 360, Wii, PS3 and their predecessors coming within probably the next 18 months.

And a lot of these games are going sideways or backwards. If you love games, it takes a ton of spending just to buy the various platforms you need to play the ones you want. And for developers, where do they go?

The gaming spectrum has become so broad that a lot of these platforms are doomed to fail. And the lack of focus for developers can only hurt the final product. I think there is such a thing as to much choice.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
btw, did anyone point this out yet?

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

By “wearable computing” I mean mobile computing where both computer-generated graphics and the real world are seamlessly overlaid in your view; there is no separate display that you hold in your hands (think Terminator vision). The underlying trend as we’ve gone from desktops through laptops and notebooks to tablets is one of having computing available in more places, more of the time. The logical endpoint is computing everywhere, all the time – that is, wearable computing – and I have no doubt that 20 years from now that will be standard, probably through glasses or contacts, but for all I know through some kind of more direct neural connection. And I’m pretty confident that platform shift will happen a lot sooner than 20 years – almost certainly within 10, but quite likely as little as 3-5, because the key areas – input, processing/power/size, and output – that need to evolve to enable wearable computing are shaping up nicely, although there’s a lot still to be figured out.
Apple's response to Google Glass?

Zzoram

First Valve announces Big Picture Mode for TVs, next they hire hardware engineers, now Apple CEO Tim Cook visits. Apple + Valve home console?

Would buy every 2 years.

I'm a mac-user that posts on a big mac forum and it's funny to see the completely different reactions to this here on gaf.

At the mac forums this isn't even that big of a news, everyone expects this to be about iOS, integrating Steam into the appstore on OSX, or distributing Valve content directly through the appstore.

But here it turns to: Apple and Valve building Steam-powered iBox! Playstation and Xbox to exterminated! Sony and MS to go bankrupt! Nintendo to go third party! The end for gaming as we know it is nigh!!!

Seriously, talk about exaggerated expectations, some here are setting themselves up for disappointment. Apple doesn't care as much about gaming as you want them to, sure Cook doesn't have the same aversion towards gaming that Jobs did, but Jobs isn't even gone for a year and now Apple is already making a gaming console? Come on.

I'm a mac-user that posts on a big mac forum and it's funny to see the completely different reactions to this here on gaf.

At the mac forums this isn't even that big of a news, everyone expects this to be about iOS, integrating Steam into the appstore on OSX, or distributing Valve content directly through the appstore.

But here it turns to: Apple and Valve building Steam-powered iBox! Playstation and Xbox to exterminated! Sony and MS to go bankrupt! Nintendo to go third party! The end for gaming as we know it is nigh!!!

Seriously, talk about exaggerated expectations, some here are setting themselves up for disappointment. Apple doesn't care as much about gaming as you want them to, sure Cook doesn't have the same aversion towards gaming that Jobs did, but Jobs isn't even gone for a year and now Apple is already making a gaming console? Come on.

Eh. Actually, Valve is building a new console. Tell your fellow big mac combo with large fries to believe in GAF's "exaggerated expectations".

I know. I know. It's all fun and games. Hype trains are meant to be derailed.

To be fair, they're all sugared up and haven't had their nap.

I'm a mac-user that posts on a big mac forum

posts on a big mac forum

big mac forum

joV2Kkpi4Bvls.jpg

rdrr gnr

To be fair, they've never played a real game in their lives.

amidoingthisrite?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

While GAF does love its hyperbole, it's a possibility that Apple reportedly working on a controller for iOS gaming could be linked to this in some way. What you stated as possibilities doesn't really require Tim Cook to appear at Valve HQ.

Edit
Sorry for typos writing from a german smartphone B-)
Is it really a niche, or even a luxury product, when you look at the sales numbers for the iPad and iPhone? I think your head is in the sand.

beast786

Really?

When was the last time jobs or Tim visit a game developer HQ?

I am not sure what site you post , but the one I do have talk about all type of possibilities.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=148997

Also it seems like a pretty big news , when it's under breaking news
http://www.appleinsider.com/

GJS

A single sentence article about Tim Cook being spotted at Valve HQ.

It could be any number of things, or it could just be a courtesy visit, seeing as Steam is present on both the OSX and iOS ecosystems now.

The modafuckin CEO of the biggest company in the world in terms of valuation goes personally to have a chat with you.

Either Mr. Cook has a vision that involves Valve or GabeN just wanted to show Tim his knife collection.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The amusing thing about the meeting is that while Valve is so much smaller compared to Apple, I'm pretty sure Gabe is quite a bit wealthier than Tim Cook. So Apple has the cash to buy Valve (which will never happen), but Gabe has the cash to buy Tim Cook.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The amusing thing about the meeting is that while Valve is so much smaller compared to Apple, I'm pretty sure Gabe is quite a bit wealthier than Tim Cook. So Apple has the cash to buy Valve (which will never happen), but Gabe has the cash to buy Tim Cook.

What does that even mean?

hym

Banned
What does that even mean?

Slavery is a system under which people are treated as property to be bought and sold, nah I don't know what he wants to imply either, wealth isn't exactly one of the attributes that pops out when thinking of Gabe Newell. I doubt Stallion is even correct seeing the stock options Tim Cook received while Gabe's assets are kinda locked away in Valve and very few people think that's going to change as long as he's around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom