• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple CEO Tim Cook spotted at video game designer Valve's headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Most likely scenario: Apple is planning on transitioning their Mac line to "retina" displays this year, and when they announce them they're going to want to show off games running at 4K resolution. Valve are one of the only developers who release Mac versions of games day one, so they're an obvious potential partner for such a press event. Cook would be there seeing how well Dota 2/HL3/L4D3/whatever is running on the new hardware and getting feedback on GPU requirements and so forth.
I could definitely see the first part happening but I don't think Cook would go that far for that much.

If Cook was telling them about the Retina and asking for their cooperation to begin with, that would ask for a visit, right?
If he just wants to showcase games already done/nearly done in development, right now would give them enough time to the end of the year or something

Mihos

Gold Member
No Steam! Your going down a path I cannot follow!

padme0rq5dm5qc.jpg

Actually, I would probably buy whatever comes out of it because I am a tool who can't stop buying things with pretty lights...... I know myself very well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nope. Tim Cook doesn't travel to Valve for that. Sorry.
If Gabe is supposed to show up at the stage announcing things with him, he probably would.

Also, no Valve games on Mac Store because Valve has Steam on Mac, and are releasing games day 1 on there. So they're a premier developer not supporting Apple's own game distribution store, there's some kind of dichotomy there worth of a CEO visit I think.

jbug617

Banned
Maybe Valve's new controller is for the iPad and the announcement of certain Steam titles will be playable on the iPad

Nope. Tim Cook doesn't travel to Valve for that. Sorry.

This, the CEO of a company doesn't go to visit another company's HQ just to discuss possible partnership over a conference.

They go to scope things out for a buyout or a huge partnership, like many people have been saying.

But imagine a steambox with steam only software and Apple design philosophy hardware and quality. Orgasmic. First aluminum-shell console confirmed?

Apple has been the antithesis of good or interesting since the eighties.

Wow, really?

Please do better than this, fellow GAFers. Srysly.

Why not? The announcement of retina Macs will be a pretty big deal for the company this year, and for all we know Cook is hands-on enough to meet with Gabe and see how the game is looking in person.
Because they have a number of other executives and team leaders better suited to analyze, interpret and disseminate that information where it needs to go back at Apple?

Maybe Tim is just there to tell them how happy he is with Valve's push of Mac games on Steam and he wanted to take a look at their process. It could be something totally different, who knows, either way I am very excited to see what comes out of this.

Personally, I think he requested to meet with Cook so that he could present him with a Sunbeams Noble Amassment of Hats and Earbuds with Community Sparkle on behalf of Valve and their OSX division.

But that's just my guess.

McHuj

As others have said, for the type of business meeting that the poster described you don't get the CEO of Apple to visit. You get one of his lackeys.

I tend to agree. A CEO of that big of a company does a visit like that to close some sort of business deal and not look at tech demos.

I doubt Cook visited Epic to see their games running on the Retina Ipad.

Maybe Apple saw the rumored steam box, liked it, and wants it. Or Apple is acquiring/adopting the rumored bio-metric controller. Who knows. If Cook was there, it's probably big and potentially some of the most exciting new in recent years.

Apple has been the antithesis of good or interesting since the eighties.

Definitely an instance of bitter tears.

Hate the company all you want, but they've shaped much of consumer tech in the last ten years. ALL your favorites companies and gadgets probably borrowed and/or mirrored Apple's stuff at some point.

Blackhead

Redarse
There were pictures of Cook at Foxcom just a few days ago. He's just traveling the world, sightseeing and stuff. Maybe he's applying for a job at Valve?

Thousands of GAFers casuals huh? Really don't understand the condescension for mobile gaming here sometimes.

I thought mobile gaming was the gameboy and psp while casual gaming was farmville, angry birds and bejeweled?! Not that there isn't anything wrong with the latter.

Kabouter

How about Steam client coming to Apple TV and will feature Big Picture mode.

Why would that require the CEO of one of the largest companies in the world to come down? That seems like a rather minor part of the whole operation.

I thought mobile gaming was the gameboy and psp while casual gaming was farmville, angry birds and bejeweled?! Not that there isn't anything wrong with the latter.
And where do other games on iOS/Android fall? Are they all casual?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Apple buys steam for a ridiculous price.

I could see that happening. If you're looking to get seriously into the gaming industry, that'd be certainly the way to do it.

I doubt anything short of world peace could get Gabe to sell Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom