• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Messi

Finally getting my iPad pro on sunday. Couldn't be more excited.

Now I have an odd question. Is there an app I can write documents in and one that specifically will let me find and replace either words or passages of text?

GeCcO

Neo Member
Anyone care to share their opinions on the 12.9 inch Pro? Considering getting this as a gift, replacing a first gen iPad retina. Weight wise they are not that far apart, but the size is quite a bit bigger of course. So is the size good or do anyone feel it might be too big after owning one?

My father mainly use his iPad for mail, reading news etc., so in that regard I guess the Pro is a bit overkill, but the added size will maybe be better for reading and such, or?

Anyone care to share their opinions on the 12.9 inch Pro? Considering getting this as a gift, replacing a first gen iPad retina. Weight wise they are not that far apart, but the size is quite a bit bigger of course. So is the size good or do anyone feel it might be too big after owning one?

My father mainly use his iPad for mail, reading news etc., so in that regard I guess the Pro is a bit overkill, but the added size will maybe be better for reading and such, or?

I can't imagine going back to a smaller iPad after owning the Pro. Everything is better on it, the only downside is the weight but that really depends on you / your dad.

Yeah, its a personal taste thing. I love it because you have the choice to either read big (portrait) or read two pages (landscape) But it's not the sort of thing you just casually walk around and read with. It's thin and light, but the size is just too big in that respect. It's more something you set down on a table, or if you're reading, sit with (or put on a stand)

It's dope... That said if you're just consuming media I doubt you'd need more than 32 gb... Reading news and watching Netflix at the same time one it works so well, it really killed laptops for me. Regarding weight, IMO it's a non issue as the machine is so well balanced it never feels awkward to hold or balance with one hand.

Thank you all :D Great to hear your impressions of it, looks like I'll have to get him the 12.9" then!

Was writing something up yesterday but couldn't finish it thanks to life.

Unless screen size is really important (that it's a larger screen), ipad air 2 is plenty powerful for a parent type. They're not going to use any of the horsepower from the pro. It's cheaper and it's a significant upgrade.

Fox1304

Damn, still no sign of any third party Smart Cover ( without the back part ) nor the AZERT Smart Keyboard. It's been a while now, and no news on any front. Starting to get annoyingly long.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/15/kgi-...nch-ipad-pro-new-flexible-oled-ipad-for-2018/

Ming-Chi Kuo is saying there won't be iPad updates until 2017, that there'll be an updated 12.9" iPad Pro, a 10.5" iPad Pro, and a lower-cost 9.7" iPad (presumably an iPad Air 3).

Presumably the larger iPad Pro would be getting the TrueTone display that the smaller one has, and presumably they'd both be getting 3D Touch. A10X SoC in both. It also sounds as though the 10.5" iPad Pro might be housed in the same overall casing size as the current 9.7" one, but with a much smaller bezel.

No mention of the iPad Mini, but I think it makes sense for that one to rapidly accelerate toward becoming the new iPod Touch of the iOS ecosystem.

The report also mentions OLED and more substantial revamps coming to the iPad line in 2018, putting it all in roughly the same territory as the iPhone.

The A9X is already a beast, but it's a huge bummer than the 12.9" iPad Pro doesn't have the improved camera and display that the 9.7" model has.

If the "wait for the 2017 iPhone/Watch and the 2018 iPad for much bigger updates" thing becomes the common sentiment it's gonna be a rough year or so for Apple, heh.

j_rocca42

I'm thinking of getting rid of my old MacBook, which I never use, and getting the 12.9 pro. My question is, what do I do with all my photos on my computer? Use iCloud? What can my wife do with her phone pictures since she's got an android? In the past we've just loaded them to the computer when our phones got full.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my old MacBook, which I never use, and getting the 12.9 pro. My question is, what do I do with all my photos on my computer? Use iCloud? What can my wife do with her phone pictures since she's got an android? In the past we've just loaded them to the computer when our phones got full.

iCloud or Google Photos.

iCloud or Google Photos.

Google Photos, for sure. The apps Google provides make syncing painless, even across the iOS/Android divide, and it gives you a long-term central storage bank for your photos. You will never have to plug in your phone to download to PC again, in theory.

I have a standard bluetooth keyboard and a pro; works well enough. re: office specifically, there are a few features missing from the ios version (a table exists somewhere for comparison) but overall it works great; I had no problem with it, and I used my pro & office during a 3 month training course without issue. in some aspects it's much more enjoyable to use than a laptop, mainly in that I can have a couple of windows and a video running in a corner. research-heavy work would probably be a burden, window management can be tough vs a laptop (having 30 jstor tabs running etc), but for casual writing, slide layout, excel work; no problem.

I have no basis of comparison with a surface, but iirc the surface is a tablet running windows, more or less, yeah?

I had a surface 3 (non-pro) for about five days. Truly did not like it. It's full windows on a tablet and it felt like both a crippled tablet and a crippled laptop. I didn't find "tablet mode" in Windows 10 good at all, and didn't make th experience better

It felt like a half-baked product, doing a bunch of stuff but never really exceeding at anything

Fredrik

The A9X is already a beast, but it's a huge bummer than the 12.9" iPad Pro doesn't have the improved camera and display that the 9.7" model has.
How does the improvements on the screen show itself? I bought the 12.9 incher and imo it's absolutely fantastic. I love the bigger size too, the price is way too high though imo but it should go down further if they announce a new one on sept 7th though.

Fredrik

I'm 12.9" for life now. Can't do anything smaller for media or general use
Same here, every other tablet feels tiny now. For a tablet there is no reason what so ever to go down in size imo, but I wish the phones worked with the Pencil though for spontaneous out of the house sketching.

Deku Tree

I would like to get a 12.9 iPad Pro with the Logitech Keyboard and an Apple Pencil at some point. But I don't really feel like buying the existing one if a much better one is going to come out in six months. I was sad to hear that there may be no iPad update this year.

What do people think about buying the existing iPad Pro versus waiting for the next one?

I would like to get a 12.9 iPad Pro with the Logitech Keyboard and an Apple Pencil at some point. But I don't really feel like buying the existing one if a much better one is going to come out in six months. I was sad to hear that there may be no iPad update this year.

What do people think about buying the existing iPad Pro versus waiting for the next one?

Raw power hasn't been an issue for me with the Pro so personally the only thing I'd be waiting for in an updated pro would be the true tone display, 3D touch and a faster Touch ID. None of those things are huge omissions so I wouldn't feel bad about buying a new iPad now if I were you. That being said it's always better to wait if you can.

Deku Tree

Raw power hasn't been an issue for me with the Pro so personally the only thing I'd be waiting for in an updated pro would be the true tone display, 3D touch and a faster Touch ID. None of those things are huge omissions so I wouldn't feel bad about buying a new iPad now if I were you. That being said it's always better to wait if you can.

Isn't the True Tone Display on the 9.7 Pro supposed to be God tier?

Pachimari

I understand. If you have the 12.9 Pro with the Logitech Keyboard then where do you put your $99 Apple Pencil when your not using it. A guy at my job keeps it in his front pocket but that's not my style.
I just put it in my bag. I don't really care where it is.

Hi guys,

So I'm just finishing up a 3D sculpting app for iOS that I've been working on in my free time, optimised for iPad Pro and the Pencil. I'm doing a beta test next week, so I thought maybe some of you would like to try it and give some feedback.

Send me a PM if you'd like an invite.

frontovik

Banned
Can I ask about the iPad Minis in this thread?

I'm debating whether or not to get the Mini 2 or 4, as I only plan to use it for web surfing, watching streamed movies, and reading ebooks (graphic novels), might use it to play the occasional game as well.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Can I ask about the iPad Minis in this thread?

I'm debating whether or not to get the Mini 2 or 4, as I only plan to use it for web surfing, watching streamed movies, and reading ebooks (graphic novels), might use it to play the occasional game as well.
Double the RAM and the fully laminated display make the 4 a better "long term" prospect. There is no guarantee the 2 will even get ios11 next year(though it is possible) the 4 almost certainly will.

What is the price difference?

Prologue

Does anyone mind taking a picture of their iPad pro with a random text book on? I haven't really been able to find such a picture. Wondering how much of the page you see.

So is it safe to buy one or will there be an upgrade soon?

Not clear. They updated the capacities this year so that would suggest they hold iPad updates until next spring. But if the mac event happens next month it's always possible for Apple to do quick announce of iPads moving up to A10.

My bet is on spring though. No big hardware issue to solve like on iPad 3>4, Force Touch isn't coming anytime soon, so really no rush.

Not clear. They updated the capacities this year so that would suggest they hold iPad updates until next spring. But if the mac event happens next month it's always possible for Apple to do quick announce of iPads moving up to A10.

My bet is on spring though. No big hardware issue to solve like on iPad 3>4, Force Touch isn't coming anytime soon, so really no rush.
I dunno, 3D Touch sounds like it's a good candidate if the update comes in spring 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor update this fall that bumps up the quality of the 12.9" iPad Pro display to be as good as the 9.7" one, I guess.

I dunno, 3D Touch sounds like it's a good candidate if the update comes in spring 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor update this fall that bumps up the quality of the 12.9" iPad Pro display to be as good as the 9.7" one, I guess.

I've read some things stating that adding 3D touch to something the size of an iPad is easier said than done and that it would take a lot of physical space. Apple may be content with keeping pressure sensitivity as just a feature of the Pencil for a while.

shingi70

Banned
My girlfriend is planning to start school for art next fall which also falls near out anniversary. I was wondering would the 12.9 and pencil be a good drawing tool or would I be better off saving the extra 200 dollars and buying her a wacom tablet. I was looking at the 12.9 for its art capabilities but also the fact it can be used as a normal tablet and kinda of a laptop as well.

8bit

Knows the Score
Does anyone mind taking a picture of their iPad pro with a random text book on? I haven't really been able to find such a picture. Wondering how much of the page you see.

Like this?

MOVn493.jpg

sarcastor

My girlfriend is planning to start school for art next fall which also falls near out anniversary. I was wondering would the 12.9 and pencil be a good drawing tool or would I be better off saving the extra 200 dollars and buying her a wacom tablet. I was looking at the 12.9 for its art capabilities but also the fact it can be used as a normal tablet and kinda of a laptop as well.

you can get a used wacom tablet on craigslist for cheap. Or a refurbished ipad pro :)

Definitely try to go to Best Buy or the Apple store and give it a try. It's definite much different then painting with a wacom tablet + computer setup cause its 1) portable and 2) you're painting on a tablet versus painting on a wacom and looking at a monitor.

Unless you're getting a cintiq but those are fucking expensive.

Chao

Asked for a replacement for my iPad Pro online, the screen made a creaking sound whenever I pushed the bottom half of the screen, and was driving me nuts.

They told me to take it to the nearest store (which is a reseller, there's no apple stores here) and wait for their opinion. As soon as I told them I had AppleCare, whole different story: replacement iPad coming your way asap!

I just really don't want to deal with the reseller waiting times, they're not fast by any means.

So if your iPad is making a clicky sound, either take it to Apple Store or order a replacement online!

Top Bottom