• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

ZeroX03

Banned
In for a 6 Plus.

Specs certainly mattered when the iPhone had higher specs than everyone else for their screens four years ago. They only don't seem to matter when they are higher than iPhone specs.

I like my apps to not stutter, thank you very much.

What's been stuttering for you on the 5S lately? Rock solid for me. Comparatively I had the S3 on release and that had plenty of issues. Specs matter. Optimization also matters.

Social

Everything pretty much had to be redone when retina was first released. I'm guessing the same is going to happen this time around but won't be AS bad. I'm sure Apple already told most major devs to update their assets and resolutions.

No, Apple has not.

Apps will just work and scale up. If you want to update your app code/assets, you can

Servbot24

Banned
I've not preordered a phone before. I assume I need to preorder a phone through my carrier if I don't want to buy it outright?

wigwag85

Banned
In for a 6 Plus.

What's been stuttering for you on the 5S lately? Rock solid for me. Comparatively I had the S3 on release and that had plenty of issues. Specs matter. Optimization also matters.

I occasionally use my wife's 5C and if she has more than five or so tabs open, Safari becomes very janky. Pauses for a good second before it opens, slight pauses while bringing up and switching between tabs.

I regularly leave eight or nine tabs open on chrome and it doesn't pause opening or switching between tabs. I also have a good half dozen other apps open at the same time.

edit: Samsung's touchwiz interface seems to be a bit hungry, at least in the few limited instances where I used it.

AngryMoth

If the entry 6 had been 32GB if would probably have bitten but instead I'm gonna replace my water damaged 5 with a 5s. 16 is just not enough for me. Might cheap out and go for a 5c actually and then maybe get the new one next year.

Tekniqs

I was leaning towards the 4.7 but seems like they gave the 5.5 all the cool shit.

so now it's the xperia z3c vs the Iphone 6+. anyone know how much the iphone 6+ is going to be factory unlocked and when they'll be releasing them?

edit: lol nvm, scrolled up, turns out we're on page 3 already

You weren't descriptive in your post. If you're saying the bezel might change eventually, yes.

If you're saying Apple is going to do major cosmetic overhauls on an intermediary edition (the odd-numbered-year iPhones), you're wrong.

I'm willing to bet Apple switches it up with the 6S. Time will tell dear sir.

Yup. Paid $580 for my HTC One when it was first released.

Luckily I sold my 5S for $550 not too long ago so it'll take some pain off.

I always hand my phone down to a family member so full price for me. Anyone know if I can use Best Buy reward points on this? That'll shave about $300 off...

Specs certainly mattered when the iPhone had higher specs than everyone else for their screens four years ago. They only don't seem to matter when they are higher than iPhone specs.

I like my apps to not stutter, thank you very much.

What are you even saying here? You're saying that specs for screens matter because you don't want your apps to stutter? I'm saying, as a proud Android owner (first gen Nexus 7, HTC One (M7), and soon a 2014 Moto X), that comparing specs is dumb and arbritrary and they haven't mattered since around Jellybean when Project Butter was first introduced and have never really mattered on iOS because of how optimized the system is. Screen specs don't matter either when the panel is 1080p or higher or even 720p or higher when the screen is smaller (4.7" and less).

wigwag85

Banned
What are you even saying here? You're saying that specs for screens matter because you don't want your apps to stutter? I'm saying, as a proud Android owner (first gen Nexus 7, HTC One (M7), and soon a 2014 Moto X), that comparing specs is dumb and arbritrary and they haven't mattered since around Jellybean when Project Butter was first introduced and have never really mattered on iOS because of how optimized the system is. Screen specs don't matter either when the panel is 1080p or higher or even 720p or higher when the screen is smaller (4.7" and less).

I was giving an example of when specs mattered. It was when the iPhone had higher resolution, which is a spec. The original exchange was about the iPhone only having one gig of RAM.

DJ88

I was almost convinced about getting the Plus even though I hate how big it is, but the 64 GB jump is making it a harder choice. An extra 48 GB and more comfortable size at the expense of the image stabilization and little less battery life. I can't decide.

Reposting this because I need some help, thanks!

So, I'm currently on Verizon and I need 2 new iPhones. But I want to switch to T-Mobile.. what should I do? Should I order the phones from Apple, and walk into a T-Mobile store to switch once I receive them?

MicH

Good lord, the 6 Plus looks really nice in Engadget's hands on impressions. Doesn't look as big as I was expecting

Reposting this because I need some help, thanks!

So, I'm currently on Verizon and I need 2 new iPhones. But I want to switch to T-Mobile.. what should I do? Should I order the phones from Apple, and walk into a T-Mobile store to switch once I receive them?

I might be totally stupid here but didn't T-Mobile have that "come to us and we'll pay your contract out" thing? Never looked into it so kinda talking out my ass here.

v0yce

ars has a cool printout to compare the sizes. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-plus-find-out-with-our-handy-paper-template/

4.7 feels like it'll still maintain that compactness that I like about the iphone with the bigger screen. the 5.5 is really big but I don't think it'll be uncomfortable. I guess I have until friday to decide.

I printed out my own version when I first saw the specs. I didn't realize how much bigger the "smaller" 6 was in comparison to the 5.

Would you like large or jumbo?

I have a 5s which is a I think a little on the big size and the 6 seems like a big increase from that and not "compact" at all. I have a Note 3 for work which is stupid big and the 6+ is even bigger.

BIG PHONES SUCK! Is it too much to ask for an iPhone mini? Can you just put the 6 guts in a 4 shell? I'd be happy forever.

Tekniqs

hey guys..i'm with At&t but I want to get a phone off contract. Can they unlock those since it's technically my phone already? or will Apple release factory unlocked phones day 1?

Squalor

He's had his 3GS for four years, but the phone itself is five years old.

It's crazy how much time has passed.

Cse

Banned
Leak from 3-4 months ago that everyone thought was ugly:

phpdga0bz.jpg

Actual model:

DSC_7972-2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Antenna bands actually look more pronounced in the retail model.

The Real Bobble

Neo Member
I've gone from almost certainly switching to iPhone after the ios8 reveal, leaning towards the larger one to almost certainly sticking with android next time round.

The 6+ seems too large for what it is. The resolution on the 6 is to low for me now that I'm used to a 1080p mobile screen and I really don't like that protruding camera and really dislike putting phones in cases.

Also I'm really digging the few 'materialised' apps that I have experienced.... Love those transitions. Android L is shaping up to be great.

IMO android hardware makers ha e definitely caught up and surpassed apple now and software is on a par.

It's a shame these iphones disapoint me because ios/mac os inter operability seems great and there are other os features that look like they will be awesome too.

Top Bottom