• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Apple should really have an option to have live photos just be gifs
Quality would be utter shit. GIF has a 256 max color palette. webm may be more reasonable, but even then support is still random enough where it's probably just not worth it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I tend to cycle my battery whenever I get a new device like this. I know many argue it's unnecessary - and even I sometimes think that to be the case. It's more just to "make me feel good" about things and starting off on the right foot.

But with my 6S+, I'm really glad I did. My 6+ usually takes about 2 hours to charge with the higher watt iPad charger. My 6s+ just took like 3.5hrs. Huge difference. Doubt it means anything, especially this first time... but I dunno, makes me feel like I calibrated it correctly.

No idea where to post this, so I figured this would work. Last night on a walk I found a six on the ground. Sat with it for a bit hoping the owner would walk by, but mostly randoms who may steal the phone. I ended up taking the phone, once I started googling ways of returning it, I basically just got a bunch of guides on how to steal it, so this seemed like the best bet. The phone was at 6% so I left it on, hoping I could be there when the person called their phone, however it has just died ! (There was a password on it, so no calling mom or dad) I have no idea what to do with it, and I know whoever lost it is definetaly panicking right now. What do GAF ?

Juice

No idea where to post this, so I figured this would work. Last night on a walk I found a six on the ground. Sat with it for a bit hoping the owner would walk by, but mostly randoms who may steal the phone. I ended up taking the phone, once I started googling ways of returning it, I basically just got a bunch of guides on how to steal it, so this seemed like the best bet. The phone was at 6% so I left it on, hoping I could be there when the person called their phone, however it has just died ! (There was a password on it, so no calling mom or dad) I have no idea what to do with it, and I know whoever lost it is definetaly panicking right now. What do GAF ?

Plug it in with a lightning cable so that if they have find my iPhone they can contact it.

Call your local PD and report it found and provide them with the serial

Plug it in with a lightning cable so that if they have find my iPhone they can contact it.

Call your local PD and report it found and provide them with the serial

Don't have a lightning, sure someone nearby does though. I'll look into that. How does reporting it to the PD work ? Am I entering into any legal obligation or weirdness by doing that ?

Disclaimer: Sorry for mucking with this thread, very excited for the new iPhone, just struggling between going with the regular or the plus ! I'm considering a carrier that wouldn't allow the use of imessage or facetime... big deal ?

Don't have a lightning, sure someone nearby does though. I'll look into that. How does reporting it to the PD work ? Am I entering into any legal obligation or weirdness by doing that ?

Disclaimer: Sorry for mucking with this thread, very excited for the new iPhone, just struggling between going with the regular or the plus ! I'm considering a carrier that wouldn't allow the use of imessage or facetime... big deal ?

You found lost property, you already have a legal obligation.

Can you hold the home button and activate Siri and just tell it to call home?

Ninja Dom

Any tips on how to take good photos?

Always try to get the light behind you where possible.
Turn on the Grid if you need so you can line your photos up straight.
Touch the screen on your subject to focus.
With really good light turn on HDR, High Dynamic Range for a more natural shot
If you find it difficult to keep the camera steady when you press the shoot button, use the 3 second countdown timer.
Experiment with Black & White too. But colourful scenes don't always look great in b&w.
Keep taking pictures and more pictures.

Akira

Is everyone using up the phone's initial charge before charging it? I have been using the phone and setting up everything since last night. I resetted once last night after having restored the backup on my iPad (which installed all the apps I have on my iPad). And now I'm resetting it for the second time because I didn't realize you have to be in the initial setup to be able to do the Move to iOS transfer from my Nexus 5. Now I'm transferring all my photos, messages, and contacts with Move to iOS. The battery is at about 35-40% which is amazing with all the setting up and resetting I've done with it since last night.

Fjordson

Coming from a 5, I love how close the screen feels to the outer glass. It's hard to describe, but it just seems sharper this way.

Only thing I don't like is that it seems like the iOS font is slightly different than it used to be? Lol, not sure if I'm crazy or not but I'm pretty sure it is in things like texts and the Twitter app.

Ninja Dom

Coming from a 5, I love how close the screen feels to the outer glass. It's hard to describe, but it just seems sharper this way.

Only thing I don't like is that it seems like the iOS font is slightly different than it used to be? Lol, not sure if I'm crazy or not but I'm pretty sure it is in things like texts and the Twitter app.

Is it do to with iOS 9 running a new font across the board? San Francisco font?

hwalker84

Any secret ways to pick up one today without reservations? Any places you can think of that sell AT&T phones beside Best Buy, APple, and the AT&T store?

iMax

Anyone having trouble getting iCloud Backup working? Keep getting "backup failed to complete" errors with no explanation.

Ninja Dom

Oh is that a known thing? Haha, that's probably it. I was on iOS 8 on my 5.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's throwing me off after being so used to the old font.

Yeah, iOS 9, watchOS and Mac OS X El Capitan now have adopted a new font called San Francisco. Apple's own made font first used in the Watch.

Ninja Dom

Anyone having trouble getting iCloud Backup working? Keep getting "backup failed to complete" errors with no explanation.

Go into iCloud and manage storage. Check to see if a backup from your old phone is taking up the storage so that the new backup doesn't fit. You may think it's the same backup but they're treated separately by iCloud if they come from different devices.

bodine1231

Great. Well Tmobile was sold out instore so I ordered online using Jump. I then get an email saying its going to be 2-4 weeks so I chatted online and had it canceled. I went to the Apple store and picked one up there and then get left a message saying that they can't cancel my Tmobile Jump order because its 'being processed'. WTF

asdad123

I can't add my discover card to Apple Pay. It just says unavailable when I try to add it. I've been trying since yesterday and no luck.

Ambient80

There's a dead pixel on my 6s :(
Hope they have replacements in-stores

They almost always keep a restricted stock of replacements in case someone has issues with their purchase. They don't sell them to general buyers, they're used solely to replace models that may be broken out of the box. They'll probably have your model in stock, unless just a lot of people with your model also had issues. Even then, they'll probably get replacement stock soon enough.

iMax

Go into iCloud and manage storage. Check to see if a backup from your old phone is taking up the storage so that the new backup doesn't fit. You may think it's the same backup but they're treated separately by iCloud if they come from different devices.

Nope, no backups listed and got tons of space free. It's weird.

Anyone noticing a really really faint blue hue on the edges of the screen (right and left) when on a white background? Like the neogaf webpage pretty much (white background).

It's really faint for me, and my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for noticing such a small thing, but it's become pretty noticeable to my eyes after hours of use.

So I did it, started a return of my 6s+, and picked up an Space Gray 6s 64gb in replacement.

Surprised at JOD pricing for switching into an iphone, there were definitely some fine prints that I missed... I will be emailing John Legere to make sure.

Anyway, phone looks/feels like a dream. Please show me some cools apps on iOS!

I was having trouble going from my 6 to my 6s with that last night. Just kept hitting "back up now" until I forced it through

Red

Anyone noticing a really really faint blue hue on the edges of the screen (right and left) when on a white background? Like the neogaf webpage pretty much (white background).

It's really faint for me, and my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for noticing such a small thing, but it's become pretty noticeable to my eyes after hours of use.
I think there are small variations on individual screens. My 5s always had a slight yellow hue. The only "perfect" Apple display I've seen is my 4s, which had impeccable color accuracy.

There are no carriers that don't allow iMessage or FaceTime. Besides, why would you want to disallow iMessage? It's far more secure than text message.

Top Bottom