• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

RDreamer

I have a notification on Gamecenter I can't get to disappear. Pretty annoying.

I was just at a conference this week (the reason I didn't get the phone until now), and whenever I connected to wifi it displayed like 2 million emails unread in my all inboxed. When on LTE? None, like it should.

ZeroX03

Banned
Evernote just got updated with 3D Touch support.

Big lack of iPad multitasking support though. Devs knew that was coming and could account for it but didn't.

Akira

Here's a look at Huawei's "Force Touch" feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta6beOvyhYE

This is why I'm glad Apple exists in the market. Almost everytime an Android manufacturer introduces a feature it is most likely in the most gimmicky way. The Fun Scale app by Huawei is like a 3rd party app that will likely litter the App Store in the next months (along with Whoopie Cushion 3D Touch apps).The corner press is somewhat interesting, but not very intuitive and apparently doesn't work in this prototype version. And their gallery view is not as smooth as the 3D Touch Peek and Pop.

What I DO like about Huawei's Force Touch is their implementation of Android Home and back button. It's almost how I imagine Apple will use 3D Touch and a hidden Touch ID in whatever version of the iPhone will lose the Home button.

Question for anyone here that was on the 9.1 beta on their old phone and upgraded to a 6s. I'm setting up my phone and want to restore from an iCloud back up, but my back up is from 9.1 and the out of box 6s+ is on 9.0 so I can't use that back up. What is the proper procedure to be able to use my 9.1 back up? Setup my phone as new, install the 9.1 beta, erase all the content and go through the setup process again which would allow me to use the 9.1 back up? Or am I screwed and there will be no way for me to restore from the 9.1 beta back up?

I used my 6s+ almost constantly for 6 hours today (8:30am to 2:30pm) on strong T-Mobile LTE (clean install) and battery drained to 38%. Mostly Tweetbot and Safari. AFAICT it was all done cloud syncing stuff.

Edit: I full charged this evening and now I'm at 52%.

Battery usage 2h2m
Standby 4h7m

I'm at 49% with:

7 hrs 14 minute usage
12 hr 29 minute standby.

I love it. Would have charged my 6 once already today but nope still going strong.

Aurizen

This is why I'm glad Apple exists in the market. Almost everytime an Android manufacturer introduces a feature it is most likely in the most gimmicky way. The Fun Scale app by Huawei is like a 3rd party app that will likely litter the App Store in the next months (along with Whoopie Cushion 3D Touch apps).The corner press is somewhat interesting, but not very intuitive and apparently doesn't work in this prototype version. And their gallery view is not as smooth as the 3D Touch Peek and Pop.

What I DO like about Huawei's Force Touch is their implementation of Android Home and back button. It's almost how I imagine Apple will use 3D Touch and a hidden Touch ID in whatever version of the iPhone will lose the Home button.

The only think I can say is decent is the scale app does seem interesting!

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Question for anyone here that was on the 9.1 beta on their old phone and upgraded to a 6s. I'm setting up my phone and want to restore from an iCloud back up, but my back up is from 9.1 and the out of box 6s+ is on 9.0 so I can't use that back up. What is the proper procedure to be able to use my 9.1 back up? Setup my phone as new, install the 9.1 beta, erase all the content and go through the setup process again which would allow me to use the 9.1 back up? Or am I screwed and there will be no way for me to restore from the 9.1 beta back up?

Your first guess is correct.

Setup my phone as new, login to your appl acount and add the new phone, install the 9.1 beta, and go through the setup process again which would allow me to use the 9.1 back up

They're calling it Force Touch? Bold

What are everyone's thoughts on cases? I have a 6s+. a case seems like it'd be a bit...much. But if there are some really cool ones that aren't heavy and look cool I'd be willing to take a look!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What are everyone's thoughts on cases? I have a 6s+. a case seems like it'd be a bit...much. But if there are some really cool ones that aren't heavy and look cool I'd be willing to take a look!

Apple leather case.

It's crazy slim and protects the phone just fine. Feels great in the hand too.

I'm curious the battery life I'll get. 6s Plus, Bluetooth always on and paired to an Apple Watch, wifi always on, hey Siri always on, airdrop always on, cellular data on for everything, background app refresh on for everything, backlight at half

Joke post? You'll get like 2 hours and I'm not exaggerating. I accidentally left Bluetooth and AirDrop on after an update (not sure why it turns those on after every update, but I digress) and I was getting 4 hours of usage. I thought my battery was on the fritz, but once I realized what was causing the drain it went back up to 6 hours. You are adding like 5 more drain sources, so 2 hours is a realistic possibility lol.

52%
Usage: 5 hr, 41 min
Standby: 12 hr, 17 min

hi all,

Picked up a 6s tonight and was looking through some screens and when I went into the Wallet app, I noticed that the cards I had in there were not fitting the screen and were bleeding off the edges as if I had Zoom in or something. This is only happening in Wallet...

y9ai3j

Any ideas?

It's a glitch. If you turn on zoom mode it looks normal. I turned on zoom just to add a card and then turned it back off b

Kama_1082

Banned
I used my 6s+ almost constantly for 6 hours today (8:30am to 2:30pm) on strong T-Mobile LTE (clean install) and battery drained to 38%. Mostly Tweetbot and Safari. AFAICT it was all done cloud syncing stuff.

Edit: I full charged this evening and now I'm at 52%.

Battery usage 2h2m
Standby 4h7m
This is what I have: coming from a week old worth of backup from a 5C, all day on an Apple Watch

Juice

Evernote just got updated with 3D Touch support.

Big lack of iPad multitasking support though. Devs knew that was coming and could account for it but didn't.

I don't think Evernote uses autolayout so multitasking would require a UI rework

Juice

This is what I have: coming from a week old worth of backup from a 5C, all day on an Apple Watch

I'm convinced my Apple ID is just fucked. I think this is what I get for signing up for every single apple service on day one since 2003.

Seriously I'm at 14% with 3h40m usage on a freaking Plus, no backup.

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm convinced my Apple ID is just fucked. I think this is what I get for signing up for every single apple service on day one since 2003.

I'd call apple and let them run a diagnostic for your battery cause that doesn't sound right.

RDreamer

So, 2 issues/bugs so far. Can anyone help:

Again, I cannot get remove the damned badge notification on my mail app saying I have thousands of unread email. All of my email accounts have no unread emails, yet the "all inboxes" has like 1500 unread. I've tried using the "mark all" as read, and it just... well it doesn't mark all as read at all!

I was thinking maybe there's a bug going on with ios9, and realized since I just got this, it wasn't on 9.0.1, but when i try to go on that it says I can only install it when my iPhone is done updating from an iCloud backup... well, it's been done as far as I can tell for hours now. I've reset the phone twice and it still says that. Am I missing something?

Aurizen

my tracking number just disappeared on UPS. one minute it was in Kentucky next the status is gone and says "A UPS shipping label has been created".... @_@

tumblr_mtj3qm34Tr1qauzgso3_250.gif

Juice

I'd call apple and let them run a diagnostic for your battery cause that doesn't sound right.

Nope I went through five 6's and each was the same. They will do a diagnostic and just say "somethings taking up a lot of backboard cpu" which literally means any background process like cloudd or bird or photosd. They have no idea.

I'm pretty convinced it's my iCloud Photo Library. Something about it has ruined my battery life. I've dealt with apple support and as soon as they agree it's a software issue there's nothing they can do.

Would love to hear thoughts on those who went from a 6 to 6sPlus and 6Plus to 6s. Curious why you made the call to go with a different screen size this time.

I switched today from 6s Plus to 6s. My personal reason was the phone was a bigger phone than I would have liked, and I just appreciate portability atm in my life (aka don't need a big battery, and won't use many features throughout the day most of the time).
I can see myself getting on the bigger version again in the future though. Meanwhile 6s is just a great feeling phone in the hand. I find myself squinting at the screen a bit now after using 5.5" screens for a while (I have some bad eyes), but nothing I can't get used to. A happy downgrade, looks great in the Apple leather case.

Cool. I think I'll get that, then. ( leather doesn't feel good to me, I'm weird I know!)

An Apple Store if you have on nearby should have some available to feel in-person before you pick one up. However, because they're demo units and hundreds of people a day touch them, they don't really feel like they do normally. My leather case I have on mine feels different than the leather cases Apple has on display. Silicone doesn't have that problem to the same degree

Vyer

So when you say 'no backup' you mean this is happening on a clean install with no recovery? No apps installed except the stock?

How much data is in your photo library?

bionic77

Apple leather case.

It's crazy slim and protects the phone just fine. Feels great in the hand too.
How much of a lip does the case have?

I am convinced I am strolling into the Apple store tomorrow and getting the leather case if it provides enough protection to keep the glass from shattering from a small fall like most cases with a lip will do.

The idea of using your expensive smartphone as a scale is kind of funny to me.

MRSA

Banned

I am convinced I am strolling into the Apple store tomorrow and getting the leather case if it provides enough protection to keep the glass from shattering from a small fall like most cases with a lip will do.

Quit being a poor bionic. It's $200 to replace a shattered iPhone. That's like a 1/5 of the cost of one of your wife's monthly purse purchases.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Search up YouTube drop tests. They show it survive a hip and head height drop just fine. It only cracked when they dropped it face first from 10 feet.

It is enough of a lip to lay down face first on a coffee table without worrying about things but small enough that it doesn't make the phone too bulky like every silicon case I have tried.

BashNasty

Here's a picture I just took of my 6S in the leather case to give you an idea of the lip:

Quit being a poor bionic. It's $200 to replace a shattered iPhone. That's like a 1/5 of the cost of one of your wife's monthly purse purchases.

fwiw, the cost at the apple store for a screen replacement is less than $200. $149 for a 6S+, $129 for most everything else.

Juice

So when you say 'no backup' you mean this is happening on a clean install with no recovery? No apps installed except the stock?

How much data is in your photo library?

Basically yes. I have a few apps installed. Photo library is 220GB and 53k photos

Pretty sure the issue is bad metadata that the daemon just churns on forever.

Got a 5S. The bigger battery, 12mp camera and 2gbs of ram makes it hard not to upgrade.

But, I have to be strong. And wait for the iPhone 7. lol

Vyer

Basically yes. I have a few apps installed. Photo library is 220GB and 53k photos

Pretty sure the issue is bad metadata that the daemon just churns on forever.

damn.

so this has only happened on the new phone you got? how long did you let it go before getting replaced?

that's a lot that it's trying to sync. I'd have to just let it sit for a long time. Still, you're probably right about the metadata though. It might be worth it to move your photos somewhere else and slowing bring them back over or something. At least it would be worth it to me. That battery issue would annoy the hell out of me.

bionic77

Here's a picture I just took of my 6S in the leather case to give you an idea of the lip:
That looks like enough protection to me. Leather it is.

It hurts me inside to make that trip to the Apple Store to replace a cracked screen after my kids drop it or it slipped out of my shorts while getting out of the car.

Kintaco

I know that the new aliuminum on the 6S is stronger and I hope it holds up because I just found out first hand that Bendagte is real.
https://flic.kr/p/z7B3SL
Only had the 6 Plus for 3 weeks, didn't have tight pants, didn't sit on it. Been in a case for about 2 weeks.

Top Bottom