• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Juice

damn.

so this has only happened on the new phone you got? how long did you let it go before getting replaced?

that's a lot that it's trying to sync. I'd have to just let it sit for a long time. Still, you're probably right about the metadata though. It might be worth it to move your photos somewhere else and slowing bring them back over or something. At least it would be worth it to me. That battery issue would annoy the hell out of me.

It's been this way since Photos launched in April. I had to replace my 6 three times this summer and none could get past 3 or 4pm

riotous

Banned
I know that the new aliuminum on the 6S is stronger and I hope it holds up because I just found out first hand that Bendagte is real.
https://flic.kr/p/z7B3SL
Only had the 6 Plus for 3 weeks, didn't have tight pants, didn't sit on it. Been in a case for about 2 weeks.

It's a fact that it takes a decent amount of force to bend a 6 or 6 plus; you applied that much force at some point.

It's just kinda how that works.

KHarvey16

When I first saw people half-jokingly complain that TouchID was too fast, I thought it was silly. But to be honest I have to get myself into the habit of using a non-indexed finger to press the home button if I just want to see what time it is because otherwise I'm not fast enough to consistently press it and not unlock it.

Minor inconvenience aside, they made an essential feature even better.

kaskade

I gotta say, I'm liking a plus. It's a little big right now but I'm sure I'll get used to it. 3D Touch is nice I just have to remember it's there. It's nice on gaf just clicking a link to preview without getting out of the thread. Haven't had it long enough to experience the battery but it hasn't moved too much and I restored it from the backup.

I have a general question about how you're billed for these phones + service on T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Do you get one bill or two? For example, if I sign up for an AT&T Next plan at, say, $40/month, and buy a phone at $32/month, will I get one bill for $72, or two bills for $40 and $32? I'm looking for answers for all carriers.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have a general question about how you're billed for these phones + service on T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Do you get one bill or two? For example, if I sign up for an AT&T Next plan at, say, $40/month, and buy a phone at $32/month, will I get one bill for $72, or two bills for $40 and $32? I'm looking for answers for all carriers.

With T-Mobile my phone payment comes on the same bill. There is an itemized breakdown of what are service fees and what are handset fees.

Anyone else getting this fairly long amount of non responsiveness when unlocking the phone after not using it for a while? Not sure if it's consistent or not but it's happened a few times now. Took like 10 seconds to respond to anything. Hopefully they fix it soon if it's a bug.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Anyone else getting this fairly long amount of non responsiveness when unlocking the phone after not using it for a while? Not sure if it's consistent or not but it's happened a few times now. Took like 10 seconds to respond to anything. Hopefully they fix it soon if it's a bug.

It is an iOS 9 bug. It is impacting my 6s+ and my wife's 6s. It seems pretty inconsistent. Not necessarily lag as much as a mini freeze.

Draper

Im just realizing that live photos captures volume too...kinda weird.

Also, should I reach out to tmobile and inform them of my upgrade from the 6 to 6s in order to make sure Im getting access to the latest bands?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Im just realizing that live photos captures volume too...kinda weird.

Also, should I reach out to tmobile and inform them of my upgrade from the 6 to 6s in order to make sure Im getting access to the latest bands?

I like that they capture sound. The Live Photos are perfect for capturing moments with my new daughter.

No need to reach out to T-Mobile. As long as you have a somewhat recent SIM card (last 5 years or so) you will be fine.

SURGEdude

Finally got a shipped notice for my silver 64 plus. Can't wait for a jailbreak with that 2GB of ram. So much cool shit suffered because of the lame 1GB in the old 6.

Kronotech

As a human who has been on this planet for 33 years, I am utterly confused as shit with these new payment plans that just sprouted up while I was finishing my 5S 2 year contract.

I'm going to be picking up my 6s or s+ this week but can't figure out what plan I should be going for. It used to be easy: "yeah another 2 years and Unlimited Data please. Here's $400". Thanks". Every article I read now usually starts out with "The new payment plans can be overwhelming.." GAF, help.

Currently I have grandfathered AT&T Unlimited data with AT&T insurance ($9/month). Monthly bill is $109. Out of all my unlimited data, I've used 2.5GB's on average per month so I clearly am not making use of it. I also found out that my bank will insure my phone if I pay for it with my credit card. So I don't need to pay AT&T for that anymore.

But now AT&T and Apple have all these crazy plans and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. AT&T says I shouldn't do a contract because of reasons. Apple's monthly "plan" includes Applecare which I don't need if my bank is covering me. Can someone maybe propose a solution?

As a human who has been on this planet for 33 years, I am utterly confused as shit with these new payment plans that just sprouted up while I was finishing my 5S 2 year contract.

I'm going to be picking up my 6s or s+ this week but can't figure out what plan I should be going for. It used to be easy: "yeah another 2 years and Unlimited Data please. Here's $400". Thanks". Every article I read now usually starts out with "The new payment plans can be overwhelming.." GAF, help.

Currently I have grandfathered AT&T Unlimited data with AT&T insurance ($9/month). Monthly bill is $109. Out of all my unlimited data, I've used 2.5GB's on average per month so I clearly am not making use of it. I also found out that my bank will insure my phone if I pay for it with my credit card. So I don't need to pay AT&T for that anymore.

But now AT&T and Apple have all these crazy plans and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. AT&T says I shouldn't do a contract because of reasons. Apple's monthly "plan" includes Applecare which I don't need if my bank is covering me. Can someone maybe propose a solution?

If you want to be able to buy your phone with the traditional 2-year contract pricing, as well as keep your unlimited plan (even if you don't make use of it), you have to buy from ATT.com; it's the only place that offers the 2-year pricing option. Well, it's supposed to be the only place, but some people have had luck in-store.

The benefits to doing this, even if you don't care about the unlimited plan, are:

1) You save hundreds of dollars on the cost of the phone and,
2) You can sell your phone once you're off-contract and recoup some of the cost.

Neither of these benefits apply with AT&T Next. Even if you get the cheapest plan, it's $25 or so per month for the phone, and you can't sell it, you can only trade it in for a new one. Same goes if you buy it from Apple. I would strongly recommend buying the phone the traditional way on ATT.com.

If you want to be able to buy your phone with the traditional 2-year contract pricing, as well as keep your unlimited plan (even if you don't make use of it), you have to buy from ATT.com; it's the only place that offers the 2-year pricing option. Well, it's supposed to be the only place, but some people have had luck in-store.

The benefits to doing this, even if you don't care about the unlimited plan, are:

2) You can sell your phone once you're off-contract and recoup some of the cost.

Neither of these benefits apply with AT&T Next. Even if you get the cheapest plan, it's $25 or so per month for the phone, and you can't sell it, you can only trade it in for a new one. Same goes if you buy it from Apple. I would strongly recommend buying the phone the traditional way on ATT.com.

That's not really true. Next gives you the option to trade in a phone for a new one before you complete your agreement at 60% paid on next 12, 75% on next 18, and 80% on next 24. If you actually pay off the entirety of your installments, though, the phone is absolutely yours to keep/sell/trade in. You're certainly correct that it's more expensive than the contract option if you are on an old unlimited plan though. If you aren't married to that old plan, though, you do get discounts on your service for electing next instead of a 2 year contract, either 15 or 25 per month depending on the (current) data plan you choose.

You're still paying for your phone over a two year plan anyway so that really shouldn't be considered a positive. You're not "saving $100s" over those two years.

How come the Live Photos that are in the wallpaper select screen are more interactive than you ones you can make? For instance if you try the fish or smoke you can fast forward and rewind by adding or subtracting pressure but with the ones you make its only play the whole thing or stop in the middle by letting go.

Iacobellis

How come the Live Photos that are in the wallpaper select screen are more interactive than you ones you can make? For instance if you try the fish or smoke you can fast forward and rewind by adding or subtracting pressure but with the ones you make its only play the whole thing or stop in the middle by letting go.

Because Apple.

Actually, that sounds more like something Sony would do.

Kronotech

That's not really true. Next gives you the option to trade in a phone for a new one before you complete your agreement at 60% paid on next 12, 75% on next 18, and 80% on next 24. If you actually pay off the entirety of your installments, though, the phone is absolutely yours to keep/sell/trade in. You're certainly correct that it's more expensive than the contract option if you are on an old unlimited plan though. If you aren't married to that old plan, though, you do get discounts on your service for electing next instead of a 2 year contract, either 15 or 25 per month depending on the (current) data plan you choose.

Ah good information to take with me. Thanks peeps. I feel I may start using more data if I do go with the + so I might stick with the unlimited plan which forces me to stick with the contract. But doing so through ATT.com makes me order and wait for a phone as opposed to picking it up in store unless I can find one that offers it.

Thanks either way!

SURGEdude

Be careful about double checking if your credit card will still insure the phone if paid in installments. In my experience they generally only cover items bought in a single transaction.

Kronotech

Be careful about double checking if your credit card will still insure the phone if paid in installments. In my experience they generally only cover items bought in a single transaction.

I did make sure. They cover the month following your first payment. If you stop paying with your credit card, they stop insuring. So fortunately it is reliant on your continual payment of said item.

SURGEdude

I did make sure. They cover the month following your first payment. If you stop paying with your credit card, they stop insuring. So fortunately it is reliant on your continual payment of said item.

Ahh good to hear. Glad to see card issues are stepping it up because that used to be a common loophole.

Vyer

Ah good information to take with me. Thanks peeps. I feel I may start using more data if I do go with the + so I might stick with the unlimited plan which forces me to stick with the contract. But doing so through ATT.com makes me order and wait for a phone as opposed to picking it up in store unless I can find one that offers it.

Thanks either way!

Yeah, as mentioned, it's kinda like making the phone payments more visible. Basically all the carriers now say 'here's all the talking and texting you want, we charge by data now' and have plans that reflect that. They also throw in mobile hot spot/tethering with them. The only question then is how (or if) you pay for a phone to go with it. These plans are no contract, meaning phone payments are the only thing really tying you down.

Of course, those payments are spread out like a contract anyway. :) They all throw a variation of basically a phone lease out there. Split the cost of a device up over a certain amount of months. After a certain amount of time (phone payments) you can trade that phone in and get the newer one, theoretically keeping your payment pretty close to the same. Or you can just continue until your set amount of time has passed, which pays off the phone. You can also pay off early, though from what I can tell they basically require a full payoff i.e. No 'paying a little extra this month'.

Also keep in mind two things; one, the way they are competing with each other for iPhone customers right now is through those device payments. Some (TMobile and Sprint for example) are even going nuts and offering really low payments with old phone trade in so it ends up somewhat discounted by the end. I basically moved from ATT to TMobile this year with two lines, the 6S, and the same amount of data and lease time but our bill is about $30-35 cheaper. So if you aren't tied to one carrier (or your grandfathered plan) it may be worth it to you to look at all the options.

Two, at least with AT&T, they're going to try to make the new plans much more value based than your grandfathered plan. They'll 'discount' the lines or 'device fees' if you are getting the new plans and add stuff like mobile hotspot. And they'll generally be adding enough data to cover you if you aren't a heavy user. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it.

Sorry for the long reply, I'm sure anything I may have got wrong someone can clear up. hope that helps.

Another waterproof test: http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/26/iphone-6s-plus-waterproof/

Tbe 6S seems to have a hidden feature, though I'd like to see a professional review of this, before I take it under shower :)

brehs, don't put your phone in water. Seriously. That can only end badly, and you won't have any sweet YouTube money to cover you

Yeah I saw this for a little bit (though the lag wasn't quite that long) but it seems to have cleared. I did close everything out and restart at some point before it cleared. If it's a bug not sure yet what triggered it.

iMax

Anyone noticing a really really faint blue hue on the edges of the screen (right and left) when on a white background? Like the neogaf webpage pretty much (white background).

It's really faint for me, and my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for noticing such a small thing, but it's become pretty noticeable to my eyes after hours of use.

Oh, I thought it was just me. Yeah, I see it. When a notification comes down I can see bright white edging at the very top too.

#huegate

SeanR1221

Grabbed the leather case from Best Buy last night and the phone feels a lot better. Not nearly as slippery.

Just to double check, the 6 cases work on the 6s models just fine right? The leather seems a little snug but I guess that's good.

Top Bottom