• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Ninja Dom

Hmm, I got a slight new concern. Not a major one. But my 6S never automatically backed up to iCloud last night. Wifi On, 6S plugged in all night and locked. No backup. Why do you think these things happen?

antispin

Grabbed the leather case from Best Buy last night and the phone feels a lot better. Not nearly as slippery.

Just to double check, the 6 cases work on the 6s models just fine right? The leather seems a little snug but I guess that's good.

Does the lip of the case get in the way of edge gestures? Like back, for example.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Struggling. Impressions are welcome.

Basically I have zero interest in the Plus. I was fine (and still am) with the 5/5s/5C size, and last year grabbed the 6 as it was the smallest size available. I was bummed at no OIS but whatever.

Now OIS is on photos AND video, I mean it's just not worth the price for OIS alone, right? Both the $100 and not wanting a 5.5" phone, right? I enjoy taking video and photos, and upgraded my iCloud storage ages ago because of my photo library size, but has anyone gone to he plus SOLELY for OIS, despite not wanting the size?

ZeroX03

Banned
Went down by around 6% from 93% to 87%.

Give your battery a cycle, check to see if any apps are giving you unusual usage. Between this and your posted battery screens... I'm not saying there's something wrong, but you're on the very low side of battery life for a Plus model.

Enco

Give your battery a cycle, check to see if any apps are giving you unusual usage. Between this and your posted battery screens... I'm not saying there's something wrong, but you're on the very low side of battery life for a Plus model.
I'm going to go through apps now and see what I can do.

I have an appointment sorted so I'll go see what they say. I also have a very slight dark region of the screen.

Hmm, I got a slight new concern. Not a major one. But my 6S never automatically backed up to iCloud last night. Wifi On, 6S plugged in all night and locked. No backup. Why do you think these things happen?

Automatic iCloud backups happen once every 24 hours, so if you plugged in before the 24 hours was up, it would skip the automatic backup because it would check and see that a backup had been made in the previous 23:59.

Basically I have zero interest in the Plus. I was fine (and still am) with the 5/5s/5C size, and last year grabbed the 6 as it was the smallest size available. I was bummed at no OIS but whatever.

Now OIS is on photos AND video, I mean it's just not worth the price for OIS alone, right? Both the $100 and not wanting a 5.5" phone, right? I enjoy taking video and photos, and upgraded my iCloud storage ages ago because of my photo library size, but has anyone gone to he plus SOLELY for OIS, despite not wanting the size?

just get the 6. there is no clear winner.

Ninja Dom

Automatic iCloud backups happen once every 24 hours, so if you plugged in before the 24 hours was up, it would skip the automatic backup because it would check and see that a backup had been made in the previous 23:59.

Thanks, I wasn't aware. I assumed it happened once every calendar day providing the conditions were met (plugged in, wifi, locked).

How did you get a 6S Plus?

I ordered mine on 9/14 and I don't have mine.

This was the first iPhone I didn't preorder because I wasn't sure I wanted it. After reviews and impressions of 3D Touch and the performance increase I decided to buy one. Apple said 3-4 weeks if I ordered online, but they started reservations at stores again yesterday morning so I got up at 8am and made one. By 12:15 I had a 64 gb 6s+.

SeanR1221

I really hope they allow us to adjust the sensitivity of the Touch ID. I've pressed the home button since the first iPhone to quickly see info on the screen and I can't do that anymore.

Does it stand up to wear though?

That is the main reason I switched to Tech21. The leather case I had protected my phone, but drops would just take chunks out of the leather and it scratched really easily. The bad part is I'm thinking of getting another even with my Tech21 because of how slim and good looking they are.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I really hope they allow us to adjust the sensitivity of the Touch ID. I've pressed the home button since the first iPhone to quickly see info on the screen and I can't do that anymore.

Lol. that is the funniest complaint I've ever read :)

You would forsake the convenience and utility of a fast Touch ID for that? I would never ever do that. This is the first phone where I'm ok with password/finger locking my screen, because unlocking is just as fast as sliding my finger on the screen.

SeanR1221

Power button does it too.

You would forsake the convenience and utility of a fast Touch ID for that? I would never ever do that. This is the first phone where I'm ok with password/finger locking my screen, because unlocking is just as fast as sliding my finger on the screen.

I keep my phone upside down in my pocket. When I need to check something quick I do the slight pull up and press the home button. Power button wouldn't work for this.

Hey, it's what I've done since the first phone launched. It's going to be really hard to break that pattern.

Majine

Banned
What I'm wondering is, in daily usage, do you people find yourselves using the 3D touch controls? I can imagine myself forgetting to use it since it's sort of invisible until you use it.

antispin

I keep my phone upside down in my pocket. When I need to check something quick I do the slight pull up and press the home button. Power button wouldn't work for this.

Hey, it's what I've done since the first phone launched. It's going to be really hard to break that pattern.

Use another finger for info peek?

ZeroX03

Banned
It's becoming increasingly apparent that Touch ID's improvements were actually an insidious plot to make checking the time on your phone too difficult, forcing consumers to buy an Apple Watch.

Hattori

Banned
It's becoming increasingly apparent that Touch ID's improvements were actually an insidious plot to make checking the time on your phone too difficult, forcing consumers to buy an Apple Watch.
that damn opportunistic bastard Tim Cook is at it again

numble

Set TouchID to unlock to your pinky.

Meh3D

What's so funny about using the lock screen just to look at the time or date? Or to just view notifications? I do that too. Pulling out my iPhone and pressing the home button to check the date, time, or what notifications I've received is what I've been doing for years. Now I "had" to reshuffle the phone in my hand to reach the lock button.

Here's a trick I figured out. When you take out your phone and head for the home button, tilt your thumb just enough where the sensor can't read your print. Closer to the nail portion. The unlock will fail and your lock screen will be there like before. This way, you can keep your thumb Touch ID setting and use your thumb to just view the lock screen as well.

I feel you on this. Funny enough I was happy with the iPhone 4. Apple switched me to an iPhone 5 because they didn't have any iPhone 4 32GB models anymore. Wasn't so bad because I could still handle the phone on one hand. I feel like this phone is going to fly out of my hands every time I try to use it on one hand.

jax

Banned
Anyone else getting this fairly long amount of non responsiveness when unlocking the phone after not using it for a while? Not sure if it's consistent or not but it's happened a few times now. Took like 10 seconds to respond to anything. Hopefully they fix it soon if it's a bug.
6S or 6S+? I haven't run into this issue.

I upgraded solely for OIS last year, and didn't like how large the phone was. My life was a living hell for like 8 months (after the novelty wore off)

Erebus

This has been happening to me since I upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 9.

It's probably a bug as other people seem to have it online.

jax

Banned
Why would you check the time on your iPhone in 2015

That is the main reason I switched to Tech21. The leather case I had protected my phone, but drops would just take chunks out of the leather and it scratched really easily. The bad part is I'm thinking of getting another even with my Tech21 because of how slim and good looking they are.
What about the silicon case?

I honestly feel like if you don't like phones the size of the + then you would be doing yourself a disservice by buying a +. The size along is probably going to give you more headaches than usefulness you actually get out of OIS. Don't get me wrong, I love the 5.5" myself and that's what I have, but I know plenty of people who thought they would be ok with the bigger size and after a few months regretted it because it was harder for them to handle.

RDreamer

Lol

But really, just hit the power button if that's what you want.

Can anyone confirm if you absolutely need a screen protector? From reviews, it should be safe from scratches but they said that about the S6 and it still got scratched so I'm scared. I usually roll with none because gorilla glass was made to like stop stuff like that from happening and I love the smooth touch

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
6S or 6S+? I haven't run into this issue.

I upgraded solely for OIS last year, and didn't like how large the phone was. My life was a living hell for like 8 months (after the novelty wore off)

The mini freezes happen on the 6s and the 6s+ just the same. I have witnessed it first hand on both phones. (I own the 6s+ and my wife owns the 6s.)

Has nothing to do with resolution; this is ios9 related.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The mini freezes happen on the 6s and the 6s+ just the same. I have witnessed it first hand on both phones. (I own the 6s+ and my wife owns the 6s.)

Has nothing to do with resolution; this is ios9 related.

Update to 9.0.1. Fixed the mini freezes on my 6s. It also fixed the minutes-long freezes on my 5s, just before I got the new phone. The phones right now are shipping with 9.0 so you do have to update.

Top Bottom