• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Number45

Ugh, that sucks. My personal tolerance level for dead pixels is basically 1 dead pixel = screen fucked so I'd return it for a refund if I couldn't get it replaced. I guess that's not an option any more for you. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How usable is a 5S? I can get one on contract for £15 per month, no up front cost. Not much data (500MB) but it'd be for my daughter so should be enough. She's currently on a £10pm sim only contract with about the same data and minutes so only an extra £5 seems good.

The alternative would be to buy a used 6 or possibly go for an SE for longer legs and just keep the current SIM

Edit: just found an SE for the same monthly price but £50 upfront - seems a much better option

Number45

My 14 year old is on a 5S - no complaints that I know of. She's obviously jealous of mine but it takes photos and allows her to Snapchat/FB/IG... she doesn't care about a great deal more than that right now.

Depends what you want from it I guess. I will say that coming from a 6S+ the screen seems INSANELY small, but as I had a 4S until about 7 months ago that's purely an internal adjustment on my part.

EDIT: Definitely go for the SE.

Is worth it to get an iphone 6 128gb vs 6s 16gb?
What are the condition differences between the two and are they the same price? If you can handle the limited space I would get the iPhone 6S instead. I have used 16GB phones for awhile now and while it is tough at times I still get through.

I haven't used iOS for a couple of years now but I feel apple in general has wider support.

Nope, why?
because that's a sick ass deal in your favour in terms of value and it aint even close.

also I agree with 16gb being rough, you're going to be constantly deleting and reinstalling apps to clear cache, deleting photos once they're in the cloud, etc...

don't want to have to think about that.

Red

You can get by with 16GB, you'll maybe just have to micromanage your app data depending on how many things you install.

If you don't have music at all or very little music then 16gb is actually fine to me. But if you have anything over 5gb it's going to be rough.

EmiPrime

If you don't have music at all or very little music then 16gb is actually fine to me. But if you have anything over 5gb it's going to be rough.

No, I think you were right the first time. I stream my music and I still wouldn't be able to use a 16GB device. When iOS gets low on space it will start automatically deleting caches and the device will run really slowly.

A 16GB device has 12GBish to play around with on a stock iOS 9 install. Take away some space that should be left for caches and OS updates and that's well under 10GB of actual space.

Pepiope

Never again will I get a 16Gb device.
That "Can't take a photo, space needed" message is engraved in my brain ...
I am considering switching phones at this point. I've had to delete a few apps just to clear space. Don't even save photos, vids, or music on my phone now :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any good photo editing apps? We took some photos and need to so some light adjustment on certain parts. The auto adjust brightens the entire thing and makes it, well, not good.

Red

I work between Lightroom and Snapseed.

Filterstorm seems full-featured but I have no idea how to use it. Max Curve might be useful if you're trying to adjust levels.

Just picked up a 16GB 6S plus for 50$ at bestbuy. It shows I should have 11.5 GB of free space and that I've used 1.9 GB already but what it lists adds up to less than a 100 MB. I also ran the latest update and it knocked more storage off. I thought that's what the 4.5 GB is reserved for?

NeoBob688

How in the world do you add custom ringtones to the iPhone?

I have the latest version of iTunes, Windows 10, and an iPhone 6.

I have tried for one hour but still can not get it to work. As I understand I need files in Apple's proprietary aac format, but iTunes doesn't have an option to convert anymore so I used a third party software.

Then I understand I need to rename the file type to .m4r. However, iTunes does not seem to accept this file format.

Most tutorials on the internet are totally outdated.

shingi70

Banned
I'm grabbing an iPhone this Tuesday and I'm unsure weather to get a 6S or a 6S plus. The plus appeals to me as it's a s large as my current phone and I love the screen real estate. However the 6 seems a bit more managable for working out with.

NeoBob688

Rename an AAC file to M4R. That's all there is to it. AAC isn't a proprietary Apple format.

When I try to import the M4R files into iTunes nothing happens.

EDIT:

I figured it out. Under settings I had to select to sync tones. The settings are hidden so I had to press the little iPhone icon near the top of the screen.

EDIT2: Also if the track length exceeds 40 sec iTunes will not take the file. But instead of showing an error to indicate this it just does nothing. Ugh.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
EDIT2: Also if the track length exceeds 40 sec iTunes will not take the file. But instead of showing an error to indicate this it just does nothing. Ugh.

In the Options of a song you can pick which part of it you want to play e.g. which 40 seconds you want as the ring tone. Then right click the song and choose create AAC version. Rename that new file to .m4r

Red

What's the best time to sell an iPhone before a new launch? Do used prices drop very steeply after the next version is announced. I got this 128GB 6s plus in pretty good condition and I'd like to stay ahead of the game if possible.

What's the best time to sell an iPhone before a new launch? Do used prices drop very steeply after the next version is announced. I got this 128GB 6s plus in pretty good condition and I'd like to stay ahead of the game if possible.

right now. value only goes down.

the biggest drop is a few weeks before the announcement IIRC because people start selling them in anticipation.

Red

Hm—looks like I could get about $800 for it. Wonder if Apple care adds any value.

Guess it's time to start looking for a temporary phone.

So something I realized today for those of us on the iPhone Upgrade Program. It still works as advertised: after 12 of the 24 payments you can trade in your current model and start the carousel again on the next model. However, let's say, for example, that you got the 6S RIGHT when it came out, which was September 25. On that day you paid the total tax and the first month's payment. So payment #2 is October 25, #3 is November 25, etc. Those dates are rounded by the way if they end up on a weekend. My payments get deducted between the 11th and 14th every month

Anyway, my main point is you'll have made your 12th payment on August 25. You will be charged again on September 25th for your 13th payment. When your 12yh payment is said and done, though, there's no new phone to upgrade to. And if you can't get on the new model the DAY it comes out, you'll be charged the 13th payment while sitting on your upgrade eligibility waiting for stock to come in. So you're paying one payment more than necessary because your 12th payments happens a month before the new phone even comes out and even then the stock is always crazy, not guaranteeing an instant upgrade

I hope they thought of that, but to be honest I doubt it

mid83

So something I realized today for those of us on the iPhone Upgrade Program. It still works as advertised: after 12 of the 24 payments you can trade in your current model and start the carousel again on the next model. However, let's say, for example, that you got the 6S RIGHT when it came out, which was September 25. On that day you paid the total tax and the first month's payment. So payment #2 is October 25, #3 is November 25, etc. Those dates are rounded by the way if they end up on a weekend. My payments get deducted between the 11th and 14th every month

Anyway, my main point is you'll have made your 12th payment on August 25. You will be charged again on September 25th for your 13th payment. When your 12yh payment is said and done, though, there's no new phone to upgrade to. And if you can't get on the new model the DAY it comes out, you'll be charged the 13th payment while sitting on your upgrade eligibility waiting for stock to come in. So you're paying one payment more than necessary because your 12th payments happens a month before the new phone even comes out and even then the stock is always crazy, not guaranteeing an instant upgrade

I hope they thought of that, but to be honest I doubt it

I guess it's kind of the same issue on all the upgrade plans like that.

One thing I've been reading is that you can upgrade after 6 months if you pay up through 12 months of payments early. I wonder if that is something you can do as part of the order process for the iPhone 7 or if you have to do that prior to ordering the new phone. I ask because I've browsed the site you can use on Citizen's One to manage the iPhone upgrade payment info, and I can't find any option on there to pay early.

I guess it's kind of the same issue on all the upgrade plans like that.

One thing I've been reading is that you can upgrade after 6 months if you pay up through 12 months of payments early. I wonder if that is something you can do as part of the order process for the iPhone 7 or if you have to do that prior to ordering the new phone. I ask because I've browsed the site you can use on Citizen's One to manage the iPhone upgrade payment info, and I can't find any option on there to pay early.

Huh, I never noticed that. I guess you would have to do it through the Apple Store

I've been getting sporadic ad redirects when surfing NeoGAF and a few other sites. Do I need an ad blocker and/or anti virus on an iPhone? If so, what do you guys recommend?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There are no working AntiVirus softwares for iOS. Even on Android its mostly Snake Oil.

And regarding the Adblocker, if you think there are to much ads in the web and want to safe some data volume, buy one.

EmiPrime

I've been getting sporadic ad redirects when surfing NeoGAF and a few other sites. Do I need an ad blocker and/or anti virus on an iPhone? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Anything that uses the Easylists will do the job. Adguard's free safari content blocker isn't bad.

You don't need an antivirus or anything of that nature especially if you don't jailbreak and even then the malware has targeted Chinese users mostly.

Le-mo

GAF I need your help. I just helped my sister bought a monthly iCloud storage and turned on iCloud photo library to upload her photos onto the cloud. After everything was uploaded I logged into her iCloud storage on her phone and nothing is there. She has 43/50gb left to use so I assumed the photos were uploaded.

GAF I need your help. I just helped my sister bought a monthly iCloud storage and turned on iCloud photo library to upload her photos onto the cloud. After everything was uploaded I logged into her iCloud storage on her phone and nothing is there. She has 43/50gb left to use so I assumed the photos were uploaded.

Go to iCloud.com, log in with their account, see if the photos are there

Is there any way I can sign up for an Apple ID somewhere (as well as a way to visit the App store)? I plan on buying a iPhone 6s Plus very soon.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been having a really annoying issue with iMessage: I'm not receiving photos. At first I get nothing, then minutes later a bubble with 'download', which doesn't work (sits at 0mb). I feel like I've tried everything I found to fix it: dis/enable imessage, log out, reset the phone, log back in,... Nothing's working. Regular texts work fine, sending pics too, but receiving never works recently. I'm going to swing by an Apple store tomorrow to see if there are other possible fixes. This is an iPhone 5 btw, but this is the only general iphone thread, and maybe there are people who recognize this issue.

Neptune

I've been having a really annoying issue with iMessage: I'm not receiving photos. At first I get nothing, then minutes later a bubble with 'download', which doesn't work (sits at 0mb). I feel like I've tried everything I found to fix it: dis/enable imessage, log out, reset the phone, log back in,... Nothing's working. Regular texts work fine, sending pics too, but receiving never works recently. I'm going to swing by an Apple store tomorrow to see if there are other possible fixes. This is an iPhone 5 btw, but this is the only general iphone thread, and maybe there are people who recognize this issue.
I'm experiencing the exact same issue on my 6S Plus, so please post if you find a solution! I've tried all the same things and no luck. So far, the only thing that seems to work for me is to disable wi-fi and stay on 4G, but that's obviously not a permanent solution.

Kabuto

Haha I love Applecare. My volume up button was not as clicky as my volume down button so I went into the Apple Store to get it checked out. The employee at the Genius Bar just confirmed it was true and gave me a new 6S+. I came in expecting them to give me a new iPhone, but it was still amazing for it to actually happen.

Also, I got my 4s battery replaced at a local shop. My battery went down to 90% after 15 min of gps usage. Is that normal or did I get ripped off?

Edit: 10min of Netflix over 4g dropped it down 6%

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm experiencing the exact same issue on my 6S Plus, so please post if you find a solution! I've tried all the same things and no luck. So far, the only thing that seems to work for me is to disable wi-fi and stay on 4G, but that's obviously not a permanent solution.

Hey, I have some more info on this. In my iMessage I have both my phone number and my e-mail listed as possible ways to get msg's. I tried unchecking my e-mail, and only allowing one option (phone number). Since then I can see the photos again (at least from the person that gave me those errors). So maybe try limiting send/receive from just your phone number.

Top Bottom