• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

hirokazu

I disagree with them that it's downloading the 1080p version instead of 4K. John Wick in 1080p in iTunes is 3.93GB, John Wick downloaded to my iPad Pro in HDR is 5.39GB. There's no way the HDR metadata takes up that much extra space, and the 1080p version isn't using the HEVC compression that the 4K files certainly are, which would explain the modest, but not 4x, gain in file size.

Edit: turned off the option to download in HDR and it downloaded in 3.93GB, exactly what the 1080p version would download as. So either with the HDR option on it's downloading the 4K version, or HDR metadata actually does take up almost 2GB, which seems crazy to me but I don't know anything about that stuff, size-wise.
Have you compared it to the 4K filesize on the computer? You could probably work out if the HDR copy is the 4K one or if there is a separate 1080p 4K version.

Are they in stores?

Pretty sure they aren't.
Where/who/how/what

Did you get to touch it?
Apple employee. Not gonna go into much detail about it for obvious reasons. Sorry, not trying to be a bullshit GAF rumor artist or anything.

I think the notch looks pretty bad in photos of the phone but in my brief time seeing it the notch didn't bother me in real life (though it's not really the area you're usually looking directly at). Screen is lovely and somehow seems like it's less reflective/diffracts light less at off angles than my 7 Plus's screen too.

Didn't get to mess around with FaceID or touch the phone myself.

hirokazu

I think the notch looks pretty bad in photos of the phone but in my brief time seeing it the notch didn't bother me in real life (though it's not really the area you're usually looking directly at). Screen is lovely and somehow seems like it's less reflective/diffracts light less at off angles than my 7 Plus's screen too.
Notch is fine in portrait, but people are mainly concerned with it in landscape, where it just seems like a giant waste of space.

I don't know why they didn't just continue using it as the status bar in landscape for apps that didn't otherwise take advantage of it. Much better than just having that space unused.

Hattori

Banned
Pretty sure they aren't.
Apple employee. Not gonna go into much detail about it for obvious reasons. Sorry, not trying to be a bullshit GAF rumor artist or anything.

Didn't get to mess around with FaceID or touch the phone myself.
badcrumble you're not suppose to hype it, how Am I going to have a chance to get one now 😞

giga

So, I tried an iPad Pro 10.5 for the first time today and I think I'm ruined. That 120hz was *super* noticeable to me and the 2017 iPad next to it was jarring in how less smooth it was to interact with. Fuck. I'm sure it won't be the same for others but if it was for you, holy hell you'll want ProMotion on everything.

So, I tried an iPad Pro 10.5 for the first time today and I think I'm ruined. That 120hz was *super* noticeable to me and the 2017 iPad next to it was jarring in how less smooth it was to interact with. Fuck. I'm sure it won't be the same for others but if it was for you, holy hell you'll want ProMotion on everything.

Yep. ProMotion honestly feels, to me, like an image quality leap comparable to the original iPhone 4 Retina display. I want it in everything.

It's notable, though, that the 10.5" iPad Pro still drops frames sometimes - iOS is probably the tightest modern consumer operating system in the world for basic animation quality and smoothness, but it's still not perfect.

Ugh. So many advancements in screen tech I want right now. iOS devices are almost there with the X.

Now I want all of this on a MacBook Pro.

giga

Yep. ProMotion honestly feels, to me, like an image quality leap comparable to the original iPhone 4 Retina display. I want it in everything.

It's notable, though, that the 10.5" iPad Pro still drops frames sometimes - iOS is probably the tightest modern consumer operating system in the world for basic animation quality and smoothness, but it's still not perfect.
I get it, generating and compositing a UI at 120fps is not an easy task, but that's kind of crazy if even the fastest iOS GPU still sometimes drops frames.

Ugh. So many advancements in screen tech I want right now. iOS devices are almost there with the X.

Now I want all of this on a MacBook Pro.
I'm wondering if the reason is that the GPU still isn't fast enough on iPhones? If it still drops frames sometimes on the A10X, then there's still work to do.

glTRrWH.png

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Yeah, I could tell instantly how nice it was.

I get it, generating and compositing a UI at 120fps is not an easy task, but that's kind of crazy if even the fastest iOS GPU still sometimes drops frames.

I'm wondering if the reason is that the GPU still isn't fast enough on iPhones? If it still drops frames sometimes on the A10X, then there's still work to do.

I’m definitely excited for the A11X GPU, now that Apple-designed GPUs are making it into retail products.

LordOfChaos

I think the dropped frames is more about software complexity, and even the 8 may not brute force past it. I assumed my 7 would have brute forced passed it already, but nope, dropped frames galore on scrolling. So I think more powerful hardware may not even fix it.

The fix should come from software, not ever more powerful hardware. iOS used to be buttery 60fps before about iOS7...

I hope ProMotion isn't seen as the solution leaving all 60Hz screens with the stuttery animations...

I think the dropped frames is more about software complexity, and even the 8 may not brute force past it. I assumed my 7 would have brute forced passed it already, but nope, dropped frames galore on scrolling. So I think more powerful hardware may not even fix it.

The fix should come from software, not ever more powerful hardware. iOS used to be buttery 60fps before about iOS7...

I hope ProMotion isn't seen as the solution leaving all 60Hz screens with the stuttery animations...
Software optimizations that benefit ProMotion displays will naturally benefit 60Hz displays also.

LordOfChaos

Software optimizations that benefit ProMotion displays will naturally benefit 60Hz displays also.

If targeting 120hz, absolutely, yes.

The thing about ProMotion though is it's also adaptive, something jumping between 40 and 60fps would also be smoother on ProMotion since it can just adjust the refresh rate in kind, while it would look much worse on a 60hz screen. So it's partly smoother because it can go up to 120hz, but it's also smoother because drops below 120 or 60 are also handled much quicker.

So I hope this isn't the extent of their fix for stutters on non-PM devices.

Guess Who

Banned
If targeting 120hz, absolutely, yes.

The thing about ProMotion though is it's also adaptive, something jumping between 40 and 60fps would also be smoother on ProMotion since it can just adjust the refresh rate in kind, while it would look much worse on a 60hz screen.

So I hope this isn't the extent of their fix for stutters on non-PM devices.

ProMotion isn't fully adaptive ala G-Sync/FreeSync. It only works, to my knowledge, at 24, 30, 60, and 120.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ProMotion isn't fully adaptive ala G-Sync/FreeSync. It only works, to my knowledge, at 24, 30, 60, and 120.
I don't think we know for sure one way or the other, yet. Unless someone looked through the APIs and figured this out.

In my experience, this almost never happens under iOS10.3.3 I have on it now. Only happens sometimes when the page has to catch up loading when you scroll things quickly. I hope they don't ruin this smoothness with iOS11, which does feel more resource intensive than ios 10, if my iphone 6 is to go by.

LordOfChaos

Are you sure that's not crossing wires with the previous generation Pros, which had 30+60hz modes? If so, source?

Because the Metal 2 talk says there's several ProMotion modes developers can pick from, one of them is freely adapting for as low latency as possible, which is most like Freesync. Not just setting an in-between refresh rate. The other modes are set persistence (each frame displayed for 8, 16, whatever ms, whenever it's presented) and regular set framerate. I'm pretty sure the display can adapt from anything between 24 and 120Hz.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/601/

I guess the latter two support playing HDR content, but crush it into an SDR space? I.e HDR compatible but not HDR screens?

Is that what the iPad Pro is doing, since is screen specs are just like the 7 (plus promotion/truetone)? Can the 7/8 play the same then?

I guess we’ll find out soon, if the 8 series has the ability to toggle HDR downloads on and off in settings like the iPad Pro

I don't think we know for sure one way or the other, yet. Unless someone looked through the APIs and figured this out.

In my experience, this almost never happens under iOS10.3.3 I have on it now. Only happens sometimes when the page has to catch up loading when you scroll things quickly. I hope they don't ruin this smoothness with iOS11, which does feel more resource intensive than ios 10, if my iphone 6 is to go by.
pre-iOS 7, iOS would prioritize scrolling smoothness and responsiveness over content rendering, and if you scrolled too far you’d just come on the same grey check pattern that you see with Photoshop transparencies while the system caught up with you. I miss that approach, though I recognize that at A10X speeds it’d last for a fraction of a second and feel too much like a glitch instead of a design decision.

Shearie

What time of the day do the big software updates usually go up? I would like to get as many devices on that iOS 11/watchOS 4 hotness before my first class.

Top Bottom