• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

I thought it was just the new Apple TV 4K and the iPhone X that could actually resolve the HDR

Fuck it, I’m buying John Wick and testing this out

I haven't updated my Pro to the GM yet but this is apparently in the settings.
b82b8836-db96-4820-8757-f8078c12f18d-jpeg.717344

So when do these usually go up on the site? Do they sell out in minutes or hours?

Minutes from my experience. Preorder time is 3 a.m. EST/Midnight PST. Last year was such a mess, though. AT&T started a little before they were supposed to and were sold out pretty much right at the time they were supposed actually begin preorders. Best Buy had a shipping issue and nobody got their phones for the first batch. Apple Store will be your best bet, although it will be running slow.

giga

Interesting bit from gruber re: face id.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

Apple made this decision well over a year ago. Perhaps the fundamental goal of iPhone X was to get as close as they could to an edge-to-edge display. No chin whatsoever. There were, of course, early attempts to embed a Touch ID sensor under the display as a Plan B. But Apple became convinced that Face ID was the way to go over a year ago. I heard this yesterday from multiple people at Apple, including engineers who’ve been working on the iPhone X project for a very long time. They stopped pursuing Touch ID under the display not because they couldn’t do it, but because they decided they didn’t need it. I do believe it’s true that they never got Touch ID working, but that’s because they abandoned it in favor of Face ID early.

I don’t know why recent supply chain rumors suggest Apple was scrambling to get Touch ID working on iPhone X as late as this summer, and no one at Apple seems to know either. Disinformation campaign from competitors?

There is clearly skepticism out that there about Face ID. Some people think Face ID is going to suck, and a lot people are flat-out assuming that they’re going to miss Touch ID. We saw the same thing with Touch ID when it was announced, and the skeptics were very wrong. I haven’t used it personally, but I am pretty sure already that the skeptics are going to be wrong about Face ID too. This piece at Ars Technica by Ron Amadeo at Ars Technica is going to age poorly, I suspect.

The only time I’ve spent playing with an iPhone X was about 10-15 minutes in the hands-on area after the event, and I did not get a chance to try Face ID. But I spent time — both officially, as a member of the media, and unofficially, as a friend — with several Apple employees who are already carrying an iPhone X as their daily-use phone, and from what I observed and from what they told me — and again, several of these employees are engineers, not PR or product marketing folks — it just works. You don’t have to think about it. According to them, you get used to not thinking about it very quickly, and when you go back to a Touch ID device, it feels broken that you have to touch the button to unlock the device.

One of the places where I saw it working — instantly and effortlessly — was a really dark room. It just works.

NYR

If Guber is right and FACE ID only was plan A all along and the Touch ID under the screen was abandoned last year and all the chatter was competitor disinformation, it really makes me think Apple is falling behind.

giga

Color me shocked.

"According to them, you get used to not thinking about it very quickly, and when you go back to a Touch ID device, it feels broken that you have to touch the button to unlock the device."

This statement feels right but I have to see it (use it) to believe it.

Draper

When they show the footage of her looking at it near the pool- I mean, you have to physically interact with the phone in order for it to begin scanning for your face, no?

I guess, if she was immediately around as a notification arose, maybe then it would detect you?

Kyoufu

If Guber is right and FACE ID only was plan A all along and the Touch ID under the screen was abandoned last year and all the chatter was competitor disinformation, it really makes me think Apple is falling behind.

Not sure I understand what you mean by falling behind. In what way are they falling behind?

When they show the footage of her looking at it near the pool- I mean, you have to physically interact with the phone in order for it to begin scanning for your face, no?

I guess, if she was immediately around as a notification arose, maybe then it would detect you?

She could've used Siri.

Tap to wake the screen. It’s water resistant so that’s no issue

So I downloaded John Wick on my iPad Pro 10.5 and my iPhone 7, loaded them up side by side. Colors look great on the 10.5, but I’ve never seen an HDR movie before and it seems to be crushing blacks pretty heavily? I don’t know if that’s how it’s supposed to look, but I don’t think so. Does the iPad Pro have local dimming? I don’t think it does

Night shift and true tone were off on both

mrkgoo

I went to the Apple Store and they said to pay $300-$600 for the repair. I think it’s because it hasn’t quite popped out yet.

Yeah, they cover battery swelling beyond warranty period, typically. However, you would think they'd give you benefit of the doubt, and see if yours is a battery issue or actual physical damage.

Thing is, if it's physical damage, then you have to pay the replacement cost (I'm guessing watches are actually just replaced thats repaired), so they are basically warning you up front if it's physical damage that you'll HAVE to pay, because they probably have to take it apart to see.

Guess Who

Banned
Tap to wake the screen. It’s water resistant so that’s no issue

So I downloaded John Wick on my iPad Pro 10.5 and my iPhone 7, loaded them up side by side. Colors look great on the 10.5, but I’ve never seen an HDR movie before and it seems to be crushing blacks pretty heavily? I don’t know if that’s how it’s supposed to look, but I don’t think so. Does the iPad Pro have local dimming? I don’t think it does

Night shift and true tone were off on both

For some reason iPads (maybe iOS in general?) do some weird adaptive brightness bullshit when watching video, regardless of auto-brightness. I've always noticed it with stuff like subtitled anime because the shade of white for subtitles will change colors when it shouldn't. As far as I can tell there's no way to turn it off either.

Mrbob

I've been eyeing an Ipad for awhile, but now with HDR and Dolby Vision hitting other Apple devices I'm going to wait. I bet next years Ipad Pro has HDR and Dolby Vision included.

I'm pretty sure Ipad doesn't have any HDR currently. John Wick in HDR is the great. Especially John Wick 2.

For some reason iPads (maybe iOS in general?) do some weird adaptive brightness bullshit when watching video, regardless of auto-brightness. I've always noticed it with stuff like subtitled anime because the shade of white for subtitles will change colors when it shouldn't. As far as I can tell there's no way to turn it off either.

Great. Well, I appreciate the info. Guess if it gets too bad I can just turn off the option to download in HDR and just get that 4k

I've been eyeing an Ipad for awhile, but now with HDR and Dolby Vision hitting other Apple devices I'm going to wait. I bet next years Ipad Pro has HDR and Dolby Vision included.

I'm pretty sure Ipad doesn't have any HDR currently. John Wick in HDR is the great. Especially John Wick 2.

The new iPad pros have HDR, just maybe not Dolby Vision? It lets you download it with an option, and my iPhone 7 Plus doesn’t even have that option at all

Hmm, seems Verizon is doing a trade-in promotion. My mom is looking to upgrade to either the 7+ (or I guess 8+ now lol) from a 5c. As of looking now it looks like a 5c trade in of $100 for an 8+ (so total would be $699) is better than any current 7+ deals. She's not really tech inclined though so I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on upgrading for her or hoping for a better deal on the 7+ in the coming month or so...

Also pretty tempting to see a $300 trade-in for my 6S+, but the 8+ doesn't seem that much of an upgrade for me, especially for $500.

Clipse

Hmm, seems Verizon is doing a trade-in promotion. My mom is looking to upgrade to either the 7+ (or I guess 8+ now lol) from a 5c. As of looking now it looks like a 5c trade in of $100 for an 8+ (so total would be $699) is better than any current 7+ deals. She's not really tech inclined though so I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on upgrading for her or hoping for a better deal on the 7+ in the coming month or so...
$100 for a 5c is pretty generous. Pretty sure they're almost worthless otherwise.

NYR

Not sure I understand what you mean by falling behind. In what way are they falling behind?
They are lacking innovation and unique ideas. Face unlock is well over a year old and the general concern us is people do not want to use it, it is clumsy and un-intuitive.

Vyer

They are lacking innovation and unique ideas. Face unlock is well over a year old and the general concern us is people do not want to use it, it is clumsy and un-intuitive.

If they do with face unlocking what they did with biometrics/print reading, that is innovation. If somehow it is as instant and easy and natural as gruber is claiming he's hearing up there, anyway

Daffy Duck

How much data do you get? I found it made more sense to upload my iTunes library to Google Play and just stream everything than to pay Apple's crazy storage upgrade prices.

I only have 1Gb of data.

What takes up the other 30-40GB (I assume you have 64GB) when you just do social media? What I'm doing with my 16GB 5S is just offloading photos and videos to iCloud. iOS is pretty smart about it and will adapt to how much storage you got left to store originals. I requires no effort whatsoever and having photos/videos always on the device I find to be negligible.

It's mainly photos and music, as I have a large library of music for the gym and walking to and from work.

SuperPac

That was an easy preorder (though the wife and I had gotten everything ready for the iPhone upgrade program beforehand). iPhone 8, 256GB, Space Gray for me! Upgrading from a 7.

Got an 8 for my wife and 4K Apple TV. Probably wasn't necessary to preorder the TV but better safe than sorry.

Going all in on Apple. Their pitch of 4K HDR being treated the same as 1080P sold me.

Got an 8 for my wife and 4K Apple TV. Probably wasn't necessary to preorder the TV but better safe than sorry.

Going all in on Apple. Their pitch of 4K HDR being treated the same as 1080P sold me.

Oh yeah, we had a conversation about that in the 4K thread

There’s already 4K movies live on iTunes, by the way. I was watching some HDR John Wick on my iPad a bit earlier

No it'll be at least £70 for the 64GB X.

256GB X is 1149, so for 24m = 47.875/mth.

Vodafone already offer 20GB for GBP20 (including Spotify Premium) and at more attractive rates when bundled in contract with a flagship phone since the effective subsidy on the phone is c.5-10% of the price.

Take 10% of the retail ASP, divide by 24mths, add the service contract and you'll be at 65 ballpark for zero money down. That is already an insanely high price.

Looks like I was right.

UK guys:

EE iPhone X tariffs are out. Looks like they're only doing 15GB plans and for the 64GB you're looking at either;
£99.99 upfront and £72.99 a month
£49.99 upfront and £77.99 a month

http://ee.co.uk/why-ee/iphone-prices#iphonex

Given that Apple's W2 chip is now in the Apple Watch and that they're now designing their own GPUs, the only major silicon left in their non-Mac devices that Apple is NOT designing is the LTE modem.

I wonder how long it'll be before they're making those too. Cellular modems are pretty complex, but that hasn't stopped Apple with the rest of their silicon design.

NYR

Has anyone tried watching HDR movies on the iPad Pro yet? Can you actually see a difference?

Could you tell a difference? Didn't realize iPads had HDR
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/15/16311440/ipad-pro-hdr-movies-itunes-4k

You need iOS 11 for HDR to work, and the resolution is 1080p, not 4K.

Verge did side by side and they said the difference was "stark".

I watched scenes from Logan, which supports the HDR10 format, and Kong: Skull Island, which is in Dolby Vision, on a 10.5-inch iPad Pro. Next to a 2015 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which doesn’t support HDR, the difference was often stark. The harsh Mexico sunlight in Logan’s early moments is far brighter in HDR, for example, while dark parts of the frame deliver much greater contrast. Skull Island, meanwhile, is a much more colorful movie in general, and effectively demonstrates the wider gamut of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro’s display. In comparison, the image on the older 12.9-inch iPad Pro appears washed out and flat.

Top Bottom