• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Best Buy is doing their usual practice of charging more than MSRP for buying the phone outright.

Except now it's $100 more rather than $50. Jeeze.

Guess Who

Banned
"Nah, I don't need a Series 3 Watch, the red dot is stupid and my Series 0 does everything I need it--"

3dT7HXa.jpg

"oh"

btkadams

How did those happen? Do they just spontaneously come loose?
I’ve had mine since the launch of series 0 and i just noticed the popping out happening in the last few months. I took it to Apple and since it’s not actually popped out yet, they can’t tell what’s causing it. The only solution was to send it away out of warranty (my AppleCare expired) and have it repaired for either $300 CAD or $600 CAD depending on the issue.

Apparently, if it’s a battery-swelling issue, they cover it for free within 3 years of purchase (according to a MacRumors article a while back).

I don't understand your logic. If somebody can afford to buy an 8 Plus but not an X they should just get last year's phone instead?

The 8 seems like such a minimal upgrade over the 7. I just can't see many people willing to spend $800 on an 8 but not $1000 on an X. If price was an issue why not get the discounted 7 that for most purposes will be just as good as the 8 unless wireless charging is that important.

In previous years spending the extra money on the 8 over the 7 would make sense since it would've been the best Apple phone you could get but that's not the case anymore. Like I said, to me it sits in this weird middle ground. It's neither the best phone nor the most cost effective.

To me it feels like a phone designed for people to think "The X is only $200 more, may as well just get that."

nahlakhai

Yup, battery swelled and popped the display up. I called AppleCare and they are replacing it for free, thankfully.

Same thing happened to me only like a month in, except I didn't have AC. They tried to charge me for it but ended up replacing it with a refurbished one for free after I gave some pushback. Three anecdotal incidences on this page alone and somehow they still tried to play it off as if it wasn't some sort of defect.

The 8 seems like such a minimal upgrade over the 7. I just can't see many people willing to spend $800 on an 8 but not $1000 on an X. If price was an issue why not get the discounted 7 that for most purposes will be just as good as the 8 unless wireless charging is that important.

In previous years spending the extra money on the 8 over the 7 would make sense since it would've been the best Apple phone you could get but that's not the case anymore. Like I said, to me it sits in this weird middle ground. It's neither the best phone nor the most cost effective.

To me it feels like a phone designed for people to think "The X is only $200 more, may as well just get that."

Don't really get the logic behind this. You're making it sound like there hasn't been minimal upgrades from apple before yet they do it almost every other year with the S line. I'd rather get an 8+ with a significantly better processor and wireless charging since I'd pay roughly the same price ($20 less) to get a usable 7+ since apple is so stingy with storage. There's no real benefit with getting a 7+

Don't really get the logic behind this. You're making it sound like there hasn't been minimal upgrades from apple before yet they do it almost every other year. I'd rather get an 8+ with a significantly better processor and wireless charging since I'd pay roughly the same price ($20 less) to get a usable 7+ since apple is so stingy with storage. There's no real benefit with getting a 7+

Yeah but those minimal upgrades were in the top of the line phone. If you were getting a new Apple phone you could not do better than minimal upgrades over the previous year, that's no longer the case with the X.

Oxn

Yeah but those minimal upgrades were in the top of the line phone. If you were getting a new Apple phone you could not do better than minimal upgrades over the previous year, that's no longer the case with the X.

You do understand your logic makes no sense right?

It's $200 more for something that seems to change things for the sake of changing things. I'm sure there will be plenty of kinks with apps and other stuff on the iphone X, rather wait and see it fixed and ironed out than spending money and hoping. There's very little appealing for $200, it's essentially OLED and animoji. It's a personal preference but that's bad value for most I would think.

Oxn

OK. All I'm saying is that they've made a middle tier that isn't significantly better than the low end and not significantly cheaper than the high end.

Its fine to recommend the X, and its fine to say the 8 or 8+ isnt a good value. But suggesting to someone to get the 7 or 7+ to save just a bit of money is weird.

Oxn

So i know apple usually discounts their phones around $100 dollars during the holidays, but do they do that with no-sim phones too? Like if i just buy it outright?

Oxn

Apple pretty much never discounts. They give you maybe a $50 gift card with purchase on BF.

Other retailers don't really drop iPhone prices either. Also a gift card at best.

Hmmm i guess if someone is willing to offer me a $100 giftcard card to buy a simless 8+ i may jump on that offer.

That new gold got to me.

Looks like you have to be on iOS 11 to see it.

Any Disney content? Curious if they really held out.
I guess that would just be GotG 2.

GotG 2 is indeed not in 4K I assume that's true of the rest of the Disney catalogue. So far every non Disney video I've checked on the front page is available in 4K.

All the ones I see use Dolby Vision

Edit: looks like it’s not every single one though. Alien: Covenant is only 4K, no listed HDR. Also they haven’t updated the pages with file sizes, they still list only up to 1080p

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing everything either has Doly Vision or no icon referencing HDR.

American Sniper on my phone shows just Dolby Vision but in the article on 9to5mac they have a screenshot from iTunes that shows it with both Dolby Vision and HDR so something's going on.

American Sniper on my phone shows just Dolby Vision but in the article on 9to5mac they have a screenshot from iTunes that shows it with both Dolby Vision and HDR so something's going on.

It’s obviously just the start of the rollout. No device right now can even watch these in HDR anyway (despite them saying the new iPad Pro had HDR at WWDC 🙄)

Top Bottom