• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2017 |OT| A Top-Notch Keynote

Toki767

So did someone hear the term AirPower and think that meant Apple could actually do wireless charging without a charging pad?

It's great they just went with the Qi standard though.

with the huge price differences around the world, the US reseller purchases are gonna huge huh? scalpers galore

Since $1440 is almost 50% more than the US price... yes.
I would only buy a iPhone X at this point off contract if i went there soon again on a trip like i did with Apple Watch wich was like 25-30% cheaper to buy there (earlier).

Even the 256 GB model is cheaper than the iPhone 7 256 GB model here.....

Will try and upgrade my budget phone to either the 7+ or 8+ later this year. The X doesn't interest me at all but I wish the 8+ had a Rose Gold option =/

I feel like the only time it has ever been an issue with actual performance was with the iPhone 6 Plus. The specs of that device just could not handle the increase in resolution.
I really think future-proofing is something that Android does better than iOS.

My phone has had multiple updates and keeps going strong even on the latest Android version. My phone has a snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM with a quadHD display (I believe the same as a super retina). This is from a phone in the middle of 2015. Besides the shitty battery life it has now. The phone can be updated and not feel useless for at least two to 3 more years if I so choose. Can't say that about iPhones. How many times has it happened now that not even 2 or 3 years out from purchase an iPhone will get am update that brings the phone to its knees. Maybe that won't happen as often going forward but I'd bet my bottom dollar the only reason it happens so often is because of how much they skimp on ram to begin with. It's seriously their biggest bottleneck.

Now iOS will have true multitasking. Something RAM is sorely needed for.

My guess is skimping on ram will gimp these phones sooner rather than later. Just like iPhone 6 and 6 plus were.

HardRojo

Looking forward to all of the videos showing FaceID being overcome by photos and videos and makeup.

Removing the fingerprint scanner is silly. I'd much rather have my phone unlocked and readable by the time I pull it out of my pocket, than have to look at it first.

TouchID > FaceID anytime. The convenience isn't even comparable.

Okay, so I have this sort of crazy idea. My iPhone is completely broken, and I'm thinking of getting an LTE Apple Watch instead of replacing it.

I don't actually use my phone all that much. It's for calls and texts and occasionally looking stuff up. I kind of feel like going with just a watch would make me stay more connected with the world around me.

My main hangup right now is the fact that I'd lose a camera—I don't use the one on my phone much, but it's kind of expected in modern society. I probably won't actually do it, but the idea is appealing.

Who knows, probably not, but now you are just nitpicking. Is it so hard to keep the phone close to you as opposed to at the end of your desk? Or on a stand?

In a lot of ways, convenience is defined by how well a product handles edge cases. TouchID does that better than FaceID. That's really not a debate.

ZeroX03

Banned
My phone has had multiple updates and keeps going strong even on the latest Android version. My phone has a snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM with a quadHD display (I believe the same as a super retina). This is from a phone in the middle of 2015. Besides the shitty battery life it has now. The phone can be updated and not feel useless for at least two to 3 more years if I so choose. Can't say that about iPhones. How many times has it happened now that not even 2 or 3 years out from purchase an iPhone will get am update that brings the phone to its knees. Maybe that won't happen as often going forward but I'd bet my bottom dollar the only reason it happens so often is because of how busy they skimp on ram to begin with. It's seriously their biggest bottleneck.

Look, sometimes you get misfires like the iPad 3, but there iPhone 6S and Air 2 are still going damn strong. The former is still being sold and supported with almost all major OS functionality. They're fine for 3-4 year use.

Super Retina is OLED + HDR at 2436-by-1125.

Ugh, this fucking X phone is going to be totally useless on Halloween.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

If we're being that absurdly specific, you can still enter your passcode id. Also, if you have any kind of gloves on as part of your costume then touch id wouldn't work either. Come on, people.

With that said, I have ZERO interest in the iPhone X, and I'm still on my OG 6. Maybe I'll get a 7+ or 8+ if a good giftcard deal comes along at Target.

Guess Who

Banned

My phone has had multiple updates and keeps going strong even on the latest Android version. My phone has a snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM with a quadHD display (I believe the same as a super retina). This is from a phone in the middle of 2015. Besides the shitty battery life it has now. The phone can be updated and not feel useless for at least two to 3 more years if I so choose. Can't say that about iPhones. How many times has it happened now that not even 2 or 3 years out from purchase an iPhone will get am update that brings the phone to its knees. Maybe that won't happen as often going forward but I'd bet my bottom dollar the only reason it happens so often is because of how busy they skimp on ram to begin with. It's seriously their biggest bottleneck.

My guess is skimping on ram will gimp these phones sooner rather than later. Just like iPhone 6 and 6 plus were.

My 2015-era iPhone also runs great on the latest version of iOS. It's been many years since just two years of updates meaningfully crippled an iPhone (what, the 3G?).

This post feels like bizarro world - most Android phones from 2015 won't get updates 2-3 years from now, whereas iPhones almost certainly will.

DOWN

Banned
Uh is the X not part of the iPhone upgrade program? That isn’t an option listed when you’re selecting the payment at the end

jelly

I agree RAM is a problem for multitasking but iOS updates run great for many generations. I hear people saying older iPads run like crap on newer IOS but never experienced that with the phones.

KeRaSh

It gone. Their RED stuff is always more limited run. You can still find it in stores, not sure if it'll get a price drop.

Not been a great days for lovers of iPhone colors, but I suppose 99% of people use cases anyway.

It's probably discontinued as of today.

Holy fuck. My phone contract is up in 10 days and I was going to get the red 7 if this keynote disappointed me and now I can't even fall back on that. Thanks for making this decision even easer, Apple. S8 it is I guess...

Vuze

They killed the USB-C port on ATV. Does that mean no more sideloading? Or has this been done otherwise before anyway? It's the star of the show for me really lol.
GIkKSzG.png

My iPhone 6 still works fantastic, haven't needed to upgrade or replace it yet. Though, I may get a 7+ if I find a deal now just because I want a larger screen. My girlfriend is happily rocking the 5s, loves it.

chadskin

My iPhone 6 runs as snappy as ever on the latest iOS 10. It'll have lasted four years when I replace it next year.

ZeroX03

Banned
Apple paving the way for the future. 10 years from now 64GB will still be base.

You could've said that about 32GB last year, and then what happened. And you've still got Gaffers under the impression that 16GB is the standard.

Holy fuck. My phone contract is up in 10 days and I was going to get the red 7 if this keynote disappointed me and now I can't even fall back on that. Thanks for making this decision even easer, Apple. S8 it is I guess...

You can still find it, it's just not on the website anymore. I've seen plenty in stores. They're discontinued, not recalled. Most carriers keep selling older models until their stock runs out too. IIRC a lot of them have shaved $100 or so off in anticipation of iPhone 8/X already anyway.

TylerD

Who knows, probably not, but now you are just nitpicking. Is it so hard to keep the phone close to you as opposed to at the end of your desk? Or on a stand?

I keep mine by my mouse on my 18 x 24 mouse pad. It surely won't work from there. But it is very convenient for doing things on my phone with my mouse 6 inches away.

Lol puny indeed.

iphone 7+ Battery 2900mah
Galaxy S8 3000mah
Galaxy Note 8 3300mah

Galaxy S8+ 3500mah and Note's 3300mah are the direct comparison to an 8+ (size, buddy).
And trust me, it may look like the difference is not much, but 100mah makes a difference (add oled to the mix, too).

Nozem

Not impressed by anything today unfortunately. But I wasn't planning on upgrading my iPhone SE anyways, that thing will last me another 2 years easily.

UK pricing for new models went up again. (yes I know there are more GBs)

- but the 7/7+ launched at

32GB - £599 / £719
128GB - £699 / £819
256GB - £799 / £919

while the 8 / 8+ is now

64GB - £699 / £799
256GB - £849 / £949

and the X is:

64GB - £999
256GB - £1149

KeRaSh

You can still find it, it's just not on the website anymore. I've seen plenty in stores. They're discontinued, not recalled. Most carriers keep selling older models until their stock runs out too. IIRC a lot of them have shaved $100 or so off in anticipation of iPhone 8/X already anyway.

Doesn't help me if I only get a heavily discounted phone from my carrier's website when I renew my contract...

Top Bottom