• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gattsu25 said:
smh?

So the majority of people browse/type without using fullscreen? Or is this an example "turning my nose up at the common man" type snobbery?
The majority of people do maximize everything. It's a horrible way to live. Especially in a browser. You either get text going across such a long distance that readability is terrible or you have big open areas on the sides just because.

It's not snobbery, it's just like the sort of "Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you" reaction you get when you see someone with a 50" LCD and they're stretching SDTV content or using a 360 with composite cables.

mollipen

Gattsu25 said:
smh?

So the majority of people browse/type without using fullscreen? Or is this an example "turning my nose up at the common man" type snobbery?

I sure as hell don't fullscreen any of my apps, and I've always found the practice bizarre.

However, widescreen displays are awesome for things like Adobe's Creative Suite, where you need all of your various panels and toolbars and whatnot.

Vyer

I don't mind fullscreen browsing every once and a while, I just recognize that on many webpages I've got a lot of blank real estate in that format. (got a 23' HD monitor)

NYR

Full screener here @ home. Almost never need more then one thing at home on my 27 inch iMac. Just leverage the zoom feature correctly and it helps out a lot and doesn't make it look horrible.

Synth_floyd said:
Then why are all computer monitors today in widescreen if the only thing that widescreen is good for is watching movies?
So have you actually used a widescreen 10" tablet yet? The Joojoo is fucking awkward.

On 7" it's not awkward as much as it's hilariously limiting. Portrait is too thin and landscape is frustratingly short.

Gattsu25

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's not snobbery, it's just like the sort of "Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you" reaction you get when you see someone with a 50" LCD and they're stretching SDTV content or using a 360 with composite cables.
Except it's not a close comparison, at all. One is an example of someone not being overly neurotic about wasted screen space and your example is someone only using a fraction of their displays capable resolution and sharpness.

I do everything in windows at work and am 50/50 window/fullscreen at home. I just don't see the deal, at all, if someone wants to use fullscreen for their leisure and have little problem with someone who only uses fullscreen browsers.

numble

Gruber's review has interesting things about the GPU:
http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/the_ipad_2

Looking for a better benchmark, I asked my friend Guy English, an iOS developer who has worked on apps like Tap Tap Revenge (as a contractor for Tapulous and Disney), to write a custom test app to measure an iPad’s graphics capabilities from the perspective of a game developer. It’s a simple app that renders hundreds (or even a few thousand) sprites moving around on screen, with gravity, and tracking up to three touch points. The results show that the iPad 2’s graphics improvements far outshine its straightforward CPU improvements — exactly as Apple has advertised.

For example, on my original iPad, with 200 on-screen sprites, the framerate dropped to 45 fps. On the iPad 2, with 400 on-screen sprites, the framerate remained at 65 fps. On the iPad 1, Guy’s demo app dropped below 60 fps with about 100 animated sprites; on the iPad 2, it didn’t drop below 60 fps until there were over 750 animated sprites.

After seeing the results, Guy told me, “The results show that the iPad 2 is easily about twice as powerful as the original and that this speed gain is a freebie — you don’t need to change your code structure in order to see significant gains. The differences in the amount of time spent rendering indicates that the GPU is really much faster than the original. The original iPad had a comparatively weak fill-rate and it was an issue for the device. The second generation really leaves that behind and it looks like it’ll be able to do some really incredible things graphically. My demo code is workman-like, competent code — meant to measure the relative strengths of the parts of the system. Taking some time to get the most out of that GPU and CPU will pay off with some really remarkable games and graphics apps.”

Jasoco

Banned
On my Mac I like to have my browser take up about 1100 pixels of my width and the rest other windows peeking out. I've done this since the beginning of my Mac usage mainly because it let me easily switch apps as an extra option to the Dock. This was before Exposé however. When Lion comes out however and apps like Chrome are updated (HOPEFULLY QUICKLY GOD DAMMIT) on the OS X side to support Lion's new method of space-based fullscreen, I may keep my browser fullscreen all the time. (I hope they make it so apps will remember if they were fullscreen for next time you launch them.)

Widescreen is also how people see. Our eyes see a wide field of vision. It only makes sense to have the screen be wide too.

But tablets however are much better being 4:3. A wide tablet would be very clunky to hold at larger sizes. Steve even pointed this out at the iPad release last year.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
MrDenny said:
I was thinking of getting a gelaskin for the ipad 2.

Anyone have experience with gelaskins with their ipads?
Their taking pre-orders and will ship out mon.
Seems perfect if you want to get a smart cover and still keep the back protected without a case.

I've had a Gelaskin on my iPhone 3GS since the day I got it, and it's done a good job keeping the back protected. So I'll probably get one for my iPad as well.

Here's a little something I wrote about my skin back when I got it. Now to decide what design I want on it...

Piggus

Dammit... the more I hear about that smart cover, the more I want one. I just wish the plastic ones weren't so... colorful. Leather it is, I guess. My poor wallet. :( Damn you Apple.

Husker86

OldJadedGamer said:
I wish they would review the two different 3G carriers. I'm still super torn.
Why? It's not going to be different than cell phones.

it really is all based on your area too, AT&T is 3-4x faster than Verizon here in Omaha, NE, that may not be the case in huge cities though.

numble

Piggus said:
Dammit... the more I hear about that smart cover, the more I want one. I just wish the plastic ones weren't so... colorful. Leather it is, I guess. My poor wallet. :( Damn you Apple.
Wait for a 3rd party solution.

after watching some of the tutorials I actually feel that the black ipad makes the screen look smaller and is abit distracting since you can see the silver outline around the edges. The white looks much sleeker/cleaner like something out of the new Star Trek films.

Piggus

numble said:
Wait for a 3rd party solution.

If I were smart that's what I would do.

Unfortunately...

D4uPT.jpg

...That's just TOO sexy to pass up.

Husker86 said:
Why? It's not going to be different than cell phones.

it really is all based on your area too, AT&T is 3-4x faster than Verizon here in Omaha, NE, that may not be the case in huge cities though.

I live a huge city... but I'm planning on traveling all over the US this summer so not sure which one will work for me. The 3G will be used for traveling only.

Husker86

OldJadedGamer said:
I live a huge city... but I'm planning on traveling all over the US this summer so not sure which one will work for me. The 3G will be used for traveling only.
My biggest gripe with AT&T is their 3G between cities. Are you going to use it on the road? Or are you flying? Living in the Midwest, there is no 3G with AT&T unless you're in a city. I'm not happy with AT&T and will probably be leaving them soon but if your use is going to be in cities I would recommend them. Also after hearing about Verizon's activation fees (and again if left inactive for 3 months), I would be weary of going with them. Their 3G network is huge though.

I still say a smartphone with tethering is the better/cheaper option, unless you don't already use a smartphone.

LCfiner

That graphics demo that Gruber talked about was interesting. 7X more on screen elements and still hitting 60 fps? yes please.

many, many iPad games out there of moderate complexity struggle to hit 30 fps. Seems like nearly all of them will get a free boost past 30fps (and some may hit 60) with the new hardware.

JonCha

LCfiner said:
No one can match the engadget Android fanboys. no one.

(except the engadget Nokia fanboys)

Haha, so true. I never realise people could waste so much time arguing about their favourite OS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Taking some time to get the most out of that GPU and CPU will pay off with some really remarkable games and graphics apps.]

..which almost nobody will do as they'll lose the ipad 1 addressable market

and sprites? Really? how about some poly tests?

Dez

bathala said:
Hdmi adaptor.

Does that mean I can play iOS game on my big screen tv with my iPad as a controller. (lol)
Not really. You won't be able to see your fInger on the HDTV so it'll be hard to know what you are touching/pressing.

Accelerometer based games would be fine though.

So do we know for sure that the online store will have these starting at midnight tonight PST? I won't be able to line up tomorrow but I want to be part of the first wave of online buyers so I can get mine ASAP.

Tobor

Dez said:
Not really. You won't be able to see your fInger on the HDTV so it'll be hard to know what you are touching/pressing.

Accelerometer based games would be fine though.

True, but games could easily use the iPhone or a bluetooth controller and the iPad will act as a mini console. Gimmicky, but I think we'll see some cool stuff going forward.

LCfiner

With the HDMI out and a new HDTV, 4 iPhones and an iPad, we can now increase the cost of an electronic Scrabble game to over two thousand dollars.

I think we can chart the progress of technology by how it can be progressively more expensive to play multiplayer electronic Scrabble.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
With the HDMI out and a new HDTV, 4 iPhones and an iPad, we can now increase the cost of an electronic Scrabble game to over two thousand dollars.

I think we can chart the progress of technology by how it can be progressively more expensive to play multiplayer electronic Scrabble.

Lol. I never got around to trying that mode, I need to do it one day. Everyone I know has an iPhone or iPod Touch.

SuperPac

When's the iPad 2 Official thread goin' up? We have launch day details from Apple (which includes when online ordering will begin):

Apple said:
CUPERTINO, California—March 10, 2011—Apple® today announced that iPad™ 2, the next generation of its magical device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading ebooks and much more, will be available tomorrow at 5 p.m. local time at all 236 Apple retail stores in the US and through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. PT. Every customer who buys an iPad 2 at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPad 2 by setting up email, loading new apps from the App Store℠ and more, so they’ll be up and running with their new iPad 2 before they leave the store. iPad 2 will also be available beginning at 5 p.m. local time at AT&T, Best Buy, Target, Verizon Wireless, Walmart and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/10ipad.html

Tobor

"Every customer who buys an iPad 2 at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPad 2 by setting up email, loading new apps from the App Store℠ and more, so they’ll be up and running with their new iPad 2 before they leave the store."

There goes any chance of quick moving lines. :(

Anticitizen One said:
after watching some of the tutorials I actually feel that the black ipad makes the screen look smaller and is abit distracting since you can see the silver outline around the edges. The white looks much sleeker/cleaner like something out of the new Star Trek films.

I've always been a sucker for white handheld devices (DS Lite, PSPgo, video iPod). I just know that if the iPod Touch 5 comes in white, I'll be all over it.

That said, I'll definitely want to see what the white iPad looks like in person. Hopefully Best Buy will have a white demo unit.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Tobor said:
"Every customer who buys an iPad 2 at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPad 2 by setting up email, loading new apps from the App Store℠ and more, so they’ll be up and running with their new iPad 2 before they leave the store."

best buy it is for sure then.
My plan is best buy > wal-mart > target > apple store i have all of these within a stones throw of each other so if i cant get an ipad friday night or saturday morning it will prove to be exceedingly successful since everything coming out is that there are a ton of ipads ready for sale tomorrow.

SuperPac

Tobor said:

Yeah that is why I'm hoping not to have to go into the store to buy. What am I saying? I'm definitely not going in-store to buy. Eff that noise.

numble

Hot.
In the real world that – along with graphics performance, which Apple claims is up to 9x faster than the iPad – means more multimedia grunt and fewer app crashes. We were able to software decode a side loaded 1.4GB .avi file in OPlayer on the fly, while watching it, without and lag or stutter.
http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-2-review-09139014/

Anyway, the personal setup is probably for all these issues that we don't have, but appear to be very common in certain populations, if one Apple retailer gaffer is correct:

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Few that come to mind,

- I can't hook it up to my network. NOBODY TOLD ME THERE WAS A PASSWORD!

- I can't update it. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED A COMPUTER!?

- I have to touch everything? WHY IS THERE NO KEYBOARD!? SHOULDN'T APPLE HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS!?

- This iPhone app I purchased doesn't work correctly. WHY WOULD APPLE LET THIS HAPPEN!?

- Why can't I use this out of my house? YOU SAID THIS THING HAD WIFI, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THIS EVERYWHERE!

Haven't had that. I have had,

- There is a tiny white mark under my screen. WHY DID APPLE SHIP THIS WITH A SPECK OF LINT!?

- The screen protector I purchased has bubbles on it. RETURN ENTIRE IPAD!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Haha, in store setup. What does that even mean? Hook it up to iTunes? Won't people need to do that anyway to get their content? Ah, the average tech consumer.

Husker86 said:
My biggest gripe with AT&T is their 3G between cities. Are you going to use it on the road? Or are you flying? Living in the Midwest, there is no 3G with AT&T unless you're in a city. I'm not happy with AT&T and will probably be leaving them soon but if your use is going to be in cities I would recommend them. Also after hearing about Verizon's activation fees (and again if left inactive for 3 months), I would be weary of going with them. Their 3G network is huge though.

I still say a smartphone with tethering is the better/cheaper option, unless you don't already use a smartphone.

I'm driving in a car around the midwest so I'll more than likely always be between big cities when using the 3G. I hope that activation price thing is just a rumor as Verizon seems like the deal for me due to coverage area.

R2D4

Banned
Howard Stern was talking about his Ipad yesterday and couldn't understand why it doesn't have a DVD player built into it. Some people are just unreachable when it comes to tech.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
R2D4 said:
Howard Stern was talking about his Ipad yesterday and couldn't understand why it doesn't have a DVD player built into it. Some people are just unreachable when it comes to tech.

dvd? hahahaha. that's funny

kehs

Banned
R2D4 said:

Old irrelevant guy is old and irrelevant.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gamecocks625 said:
Why would you need to protect the back? It's not like the iPod Touch that has shiny chrome which scratches if you look at it.
Dude, its really easy to scratch the soft back of the iPad.

The Engadget guy put a bad one one his review unit even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom