• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
dallow_bg said:
Dude, its really easy to scratch the soft back of the iPad.

The Engadget guy put a bad one one his review unit even.
yea my friend's that i used last weekend had about a 4 inch scratch on the back. I don't abuse my stuff but i've found apple's products scratch easily.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
captive said:
yea my friend's that i used last weekend had about a 4 inch scratch on the back. I don't abuse my stuff but i've found apple's products scratch easily.
Ah crap. Wonder if I can usef the first ipad official case until I find a better one

dallow_bg said:
Dude, its really easy to scratch the soft back of the iPad.

The Engadget guy put a bad one one his review unit even.

Oh, really? Huh.

I thought the material used on the back of the iPad would be much more scratch resistant the the chrome on the iPod touch.

Tobor said:
"Every customer who buys an iPad 2 at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPad 2 by setting up email, loading new apps from the App Store℠ and more, so they’ll be up and running with their new iPad 2 before they leave the store."

There goes any chance of quick moving lines. :(

well it says theres a choice so im hoping if someone wants the personal setup service they send them over to genius bar or something??

Carlisle

Anticitizen One said:
well it says theres a choice so im hoping if someone wants the personal setup service they send them over to genius bar or something??
Could you imagine if it was one person at a time? The next guy in line can't get his until the old lady in front of him has been fully set up and educated on all the new features. I think this is where you go when you die if you did bad things in life.

Juice

I'm getting in line at around noon tomorrow at my apple store. Really want to buy two (one for wife who'll be at work), but I presume they'll be limiting sales of one-per-person.

mrklaw said:
..which almost nobody will do as they'll lose the ipad 1 addressable market

and sprites? Really? how about some poly tests?

What ARE you talking about? You think devs can't target two different platforms at once with a single build?

Tobor

Anticitizen One said:
I know it won't be 1 to 1, and yeah, they'll have a separate area for that, like they do for iPhone activations. It still tends to slow things down, but that's ok.

Carlisle

Juice said:
I'm getting in line at around noon tomorrow at my apple store. Really want to buy two (one for wife who'll be at work), but I presume they'll be limiting sales of one-per-person.
I'm jumping in line at either 2 or 3. I don't know why I'm kidding myself though. I won't be able to think or concentrate or do anything remotely productive while I sit at home waiting for the hour to arrive. And I'll be nervous the whole time that I'll arrive too late. Might as well go line up now.

Juice

Stuff I learned after calling a store just now:

• Most stores are closing at 3pm to reopen at 5pm, so get in line before 3 if you want to beat the sudden swarm of people who just happen upon the place.

• Apple hasn't released guidance to employees yet, but there will probably be a 2 iPads per customer limit (yay! i can buy mine and my wife's!)

• I suggested I'd show up at noon and just set up camp and do some work and she laughed and said that I'd almost certainly be covered.

I'll be getting in line at 3ish. Well it all really depends. I have a test, so whenever I get out of class which normally ends at 2:50 I will be heading over. So excited.

I decided on the White 32GB WiFi and Black leather smart cover. Just got 425 for my iPad, so it's a good upgrade price :)

MrDenny

Piggus said:
Woo. I'm second in line on my university bookstore's pre-order list. They put me down for a black smart cover as well. :D
Do you get any student discount for ordering from your university?

Piggus

Talon- said:
It's just the education discount. So no discount on iPads, iPhones, iPods - only computers.

Correct. Which is unfortunate since I'll be using it quite a bit for school. :p It's nice that they did pre-orders though and will hold the case I want.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Whoever posted that white iPad 2 with the black smartcover, I don't like you. I was so convinced I was going with black until I got to the checkout button. Went and got a white 3G with the black smartcover.

Chris R

SuperPac said:
Ordered. WTF is up with "Ships in 3=5 days" though? Shouldn't they be ready to ship naaaooo? :'( Ah well. Ah well.
Reason I didn't order one right now. If I get one tomorrow at best buy cool, if not eh I'll wait it out for awhile and get one used or something (or wait until iPad 3)

giga

2-3 weeks jesus christ.

jvhmt

Also, these are the best colors:

LeB6i.png

Jasoco

Banned
2TcNul.jpg

Well, as long as they get more than 40 in, I'm set. I got there 15 minutes after they opened and they were already up to 40, but there was no one except two other customers in line. So they must have had people standing outside at 9AM. Wow.

Well, hopefully I'll get one. If not, I'll place an order for one in the next shipment.

*crossing fingers*

Now what to do for the next 7 hours.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
anyone else check and see if local stores are breaking the release time?

I'll be calling best buy and walmart here in houston to see.

Also, anyone else see anymore software on sale, like the flight control HD?

If anyone doesnt want to brave lines today, I say go tomorrow to an Apple store and try to get lucky. If they are out, just give them your email and they will hold one on the next shipment, which will most likely be Monday or so. Less hassle.

PhoncipleBone said:
If anyone doesnt want to brave lines today, I say go tomorrow to an Apple store and try to get lucky. If they are out, just give them your email and they will hold one on the next shipment, which will most likely be Monday or so. Less hassle.
Not falling for it bro. No way I'm letting you get all the iPads.

Solideliquid said:
Not falling for it bro. No way I'm letting you get all the iPads.
The going in later on launch day/next day was exactly what I did with the iPad 1. Little to no hassle at all.

And don't worry, I am not upgrading this time.

Meier

Wow, how fucking dick of Apple to make the black cover leather only so that it's $69. They're real shady sometimes, I swear. Does anyone have any pictures of real world use of the various colors on a black iPad 2?

mj1108

Decided last night I think I'm going to cave and get one. I can get $315 for my original iPad through Gazelle plus I have a $50 Best Buy certificate to use....so it won't cost that much for the new one. Heading to Best Buy right after work...hopefully there's no line. Knowing this town there probably won't be much of one (if any).

I still will not upgrade, no matter how tempting it is and hearing how much people got for their iPad1s. I will not upgrade...(repeats endlessly).

Besides, I dont want Tobor to come and find me if I upgrade. Gary broke and upgraded. I wont. This year at least.

Tobor

I'm heading out of work at 4 and I'll brave the line at the Apple Store. Hopefully not very many people will want the 64GB Wifi.

/looks at PhoncipleBone menacingly

My slap hand is ready. ;)

Jasoco

Banned
captive said:
anyone else check and see if local stores are breaking the release time?

I'll be calling best buy and walmart here in houston to see.

Also, anyone else see anymore software on sale, like the flight control HD?
They can't. The systems won't let anyone sell them until 5. Even if they wanted to force it. Even if Steve Jobs himself came into the Best Buy and said it was okay, it'd still have to be unlocked at corporate which would require corporate updating their machines which would probably not happen until the middle of the night anyway.

Just wait another 5.75 hours.... (If you're in Eastern time)

Tobor said:
I'm heading out of work at 4 and I'll brave the line at the Apple Store. Hopefully not very many people will want the 64GB Wifi.

/looks at PhoncipleBone menacingly

My slap hand is ready. ;)
BAH! Wont happen. I already have a slap bet at work regarding new management coming in and how long they will last.

And when I said I would not upgrade, does that apply to this entire generation, or just the launch window? I would say generation, just to make it a long term bet.

I am anxious to get out this weekend and play with one of these at a store though.

Jasoco said:
They can't. The systems won't let anyone sell them until 5. Even if they wanted to force it. Even if Steve Jobs himself came into the Best Buy and said it was okay, it'd still have to be unlocked at corporate which would require corporate updating their machines which would probably not happen until the middle of the night anyway.

Just wait another 5.75 hours.... (If you're in Eastern time)

From what Walmart is saying the computer says something like "Do not sell before 3/11/2011" it doesnt give a specific time.

Jasoco

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
From what Walmart is saying the computer says something like "Do not sell before 3/11/2011" it doesnt give a specific time.
5PM is the official time and the time the register computers are set to unlock them.

Maybe.

I could be wrong.

If someone finds a store selling early, by all means, try! By that regard, someone could have gone into Walmart last night after midnight and bought one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom