• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Had a nice conversation with the group I was lined up with. Almost everyone around me was a first time iPad buyer. They all had iPhones though.

Got mine at best buy 3 hour wait then i find out the best buy by my house had 200 ipads in stock =(. I could of walked in and got it. 16 gig black and the display is bright and crisp. Apple store in Christianna Mall in DE had 300+ people

Technosteve said:
Got mine at best buy 3 hour wait then i find out the best buy by my house had 200 ipads in stock =(. I could of walked in and got it. 16 gig black and the display is bright and crisp. Apple store in Christianna Mall in DE had 300+ people
There were over 500. I got in line early enough, got a 16 GB WiFi in white. Yes!!!

I didn't get a case, they didn't have leather ones at bestbuy will get a red leather one and a dodo case.

MY MONEY IS GONE APPLE I HATES YOU

Tobor

A few more quick impressions from the Apple store:

The polyurethane smart covers look terrible in person, even the grey.

Every one in there was buying a smart cover, the attach rate is going to be gigantic.

It was hilarious that they had 2 employees demoing facetime as you walked in the door. Shut up and take my money!

hyp

scoped out the line at Westfield Valley Fair in San Jose. basically, if you're heading there now, you'd be lucky to get a unit. the line wraps around the exterior of the mall and has got to be at least 300 people deep. i started in the inside of the mall and worked my way out and was pretty amazed to see that the line is making its way towards Macy's which is the total opposite end of where the apple store is.

this launch is gonna be huge. to those braving Valley Fair, god speed and best of luck getting an iPad 2 tonight.

Got my ipad at 5:00 White 64 gb 3G w/ black leather smart cover and the HDMI output cable. I was 8th. in line and there were at least 200 people behind me. I live in southwest florida.

Mr_eX

I have been without an iPad for a week now and I have to wait another week for the new one to arrive. I can't wait to get back to reading comics at lunch again.

aparisi2274

It's funny what a difference a year makes...

Last year when the iPad came out, I walked into my local Apple Store 2hrs after they went on sale, and was able to purchase two of them... now there are mass lines, delayed ship times, and low stock all over the place...

Hold me, GAF, and let me cry bitter angry tears on your shoulder. My Apple store ran out.

I guess the best bet now is ordering online but it says it takes 2-3 weeks. I'd buy one somewhere else but I have an Apple gift card.

='(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Neuromancer said:
Hold me, GAF, and let me cry bitter angry tears on your shoulder. My Apple store ran out.

I guess the best bet now is ordering online but it says it takes 2-3 weeks. I'd buy one somewhere else but I have an Apple gift card.

='(

They won't have more tomorrow?

Neuromancer said:

='(
Just reserve at the Apple store. They email you and hold it for a few hours and it only takes a couple days to get it usually.

hyp said:
scoped out the line at Westfield Valley Fair in San Jose. basically, if you're heading there now, you'd be lucky to get a unit. the line wraps around the exterior of the mall and has got to be at least 300 people deep. i started in the inside of the mall and worked my way out and was pretty amazed to see that the line is making its way towards Macy's which is the total opposite end of where the apple store is.

this launch is gonna be huge. to those braving Valley Fair, god speed and best of luck getting an iPad 2 tonight.
Wait what? Macy'sis not on the opposite end when the Apple store is more in the middle. In fact it's between two Macy's. That's not an accurate depiction of the line.

PhoncipleBone said:
Just reserve at the Apple store. They email you and hold it for a few hours and it only takes a couple days to get it usually.
Oh that's a good idea. When would you recommend I go back? Will it be crazy tomorrow too do you think?

Juice

I bought lots of fun stuff after five hours in front of my store

2 16GB WiFi iPads, one white, one black

1 green, 1 blue smart cover

1 HDMI A/V adapter

Damage was $1190 or so, less $600 I'll be getting from the sale of two of last year's model.

NJ Shlice

Gary Whitta said:
How are the leather smart covers?

A lot bendy-er than I thought they would be.

I always thought the first iPad just was too heavy and was not comfortable in my hands. This one feels great.

I felt so devious not having to wait in line. My friend is on the Business team at apple and he made me an appointment at 7:30. I walked in at 7:20, was out of the store by 7:30 with hundreds still in line.

My store had already sold out of all AT&T models (mine was put aside early.)

They said they weren't going to make it through the night. And this is the busiest Apple Store in New Jersey (Menlo Park Mall.)

Firestorm

Neuromancer said:

='(
If the iPhone 4 is any indication, buy it online and save yourself the annoyances.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Picked up a 32 gig wi-fi white from the Best Buy in Culver City, CA. Stood in line for an hour and got it no problem. Think you're screwed if you walk in now though. Got my orange cover from the Apple store in Santa Monica. That place was a zoo. Huge line of people waiting to get in.

The white models definitely sold faster at my store. They had only one white SKU left (Verizon 16gb I think) within an hour of the store hopening while all black SKUs were still available. I wonder if that means there really was much more demand for white, or if Apple simply made fewer white models.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Gary Whitta said:
The white models definitely sold faster at my store. They had only one white SKU left (Verizon 16gb I think) within an hour of the store hopening while all black SKUs were still available. I wonder if that means there really was much more demand for white, or if Apple simply made fewer white models.
I think the reason everyone wants white is so people will know it's an iPad 2, and not a filthy iPad 1.

Eggo said:
I think the reason everyone wants white is so people will know it's an iPad 2, and not a filthy iPad 1.

A friend of mine got the white one sort of for that reason. I don't know...I think the white just looks better. Reminds me of the old school iPod. If the iPod touch 5 comes in white, I'm all over it.

I would have taken a closer look at the white except you had to choose which model before you even got in the store so you were working blind. Plus it wasn't even an option since most of the white SKUs were already sold out by the time I got inside. Wanted to take a look at a demo model but the tables were swamped and by that point I just wanted to get in and out. Very happy with black, it's the choice of pros!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who absolutely despises the white versions of the TouchOS Apple devices?

Rez said:
Am I the only one who absolutely despises the white versions of the TouchOS Apple devices?
How deep-seated can that hatred really be? The first ever white TouchOS device just came out a few hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom