• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used cases with my smartphones, but if the back of the new iPhone ends up being metal instead of glass, then I'll likely go naked this time around.

God I love the macalope. Can't believe the believe the level of absolute idiocy and passive aggressive reporting when it comes to Apple. Just..wow. And people get paid to write this shit.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168461/macalope_who_writes_this_stuff.html
Heh.

"Before I purchased my first iPhone in late 2010, my iPod was seldom out of reach. Apple makes useful, shiny…"

Shiny! All Apple products must be described as “shiny” in order to achieve maximum condescension.
Too true.

Blackhead

Redarse
Heh.
"Before I purchased my first iPhone in late 2010, my iPod was seldom out of reach. Apple makes useful, shiny…"

Shiny! All Apple products must be described as “shiny” in order to achieve maximum condescension.
Too true.

*ahem*
Macworld (2012):
If you’ve recently taken possession of a shiny new iPad...
Macworld (2010):
This is how the designers and engineers at Apple roll: They roll.

They take something small, simple, and painstakingly well considered. They ruthlessly cut features to derive the absolute minimum core product they can start with. They polish those features to a shiny intensity...

Cloudy

Banned
I would totally buy a blue one but it's almost pointless cos these phones cost too much for most folks to go case-less

Oh no! Someone please think of the children overpriced Apple accessories!

It just does not make logistical sense for them. There already will be 3 storage configurations x 2 colors, = at least 6 different iPhone 5 phone models, not to mention different LTE configurations etc for different regions. Apple likes to keep logistics simple, and with the demand being as high as it is, it would be logistical nightmare to come out with multiple colors. Also, I can't see Apple straying away from white/black/aluminum/glass for their high end products (ie. non ipods) anytime soon.

noah111

Still Alive
It just does not make logistical sense for them. There already will be 3 storage configurations x 2 colors, = at least 6 different iPhone 5 phone models, not to mention different LTE configurations etc for different regions. Apple likes to keep logistics simple, and with the demand being as high as it is, it would be logistical nightmare to come out with multiple colors. Also, I can't see Apple straying away from white/black/aluminum/glass for their high end products (ie. non ipods) anytime soon.
No i'm sure your right, but the bumper cases are the last thing they'd give a shit about. :p Hell, will these new iPhones even have their own bumper cases? Probably, but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

I don't want a colored iPhone, and I doubt they want the iPhone to shift into that fashion utility product line of theirs. Also, if they were doing this, there's no way it wouldn't have leaked already (since b&w have).

Blackhead

Redarse
Why is the iPod Touch rumored to be 4"? It doesn't have LTE and besides Apple never focused on battery life in the previous generations...

It's not about logistics. It's difficult yes but a surmountable problem. Other companies have made it work, Apple can do the same. Apple has no problem with logistical nightmares when it suits their purpose — time and time again we've heard tales of Jobs demanding a particular material or a certain order in a time frame that the supplier claimed was impossible, only for Jobs to force his way through. Cook is supposed to be a top operations guy, multiple colors shouldn't be a problem for him.

The reason is that it doesn't help their margins and they don't need it to sell more. If that were to change you'd see Apple quickly put out more colors, "logistical nightmare" be dammed.

Why is the iPod Touch rumored to be 4"? It doesn't have LTE and besides Apple never focused on battery life in the previous generations...

It's not about logistics. It's difficult yes but a surmountable problem. Other companies have made it work, Apple can do the same. Apple has no problem with logistical nightmares when it suits their purpose — time and time again we've heard tales of Jobs demanding a particular material or a certain order in a time frame that the supplier claimed was impossible, only for Jobs to force his way through. Cook is supposed to be a top operations guy, multiple colors shouldn't be a problem for him.

The reason is that it doesn't help their margins and they don't need it to sell more. If that were to change you'd see Apple quickly put out more colors, "logistical nightmare" be dammed.

True, if they had a high enough incentive they'd do it. My point was they much prefer simplicity whenever it's possible, and to have as little models as possible which can cover the needs of most people. I can see them making some kind of 'special edition' colored version a la red iPod, but not as a default model, just because there's nothing as 'neutral' and universally liked by people as aluminum/black/white. If they had to add colors they'd have to add several, it just doesn't make much sense at this point. They already need 12 SKUs (16/32/64 x black/white x AT&T/Verizon) just for the US.

noah111

Still Alive

Comparing apples to oranges there.

And specific materials are far simpler as they'll be dispersed across an entire line. Supplying an already tight market with multiple options (essentially SKUs) is a different game entirely.

But you're right, if Apple saw it as something they HAD TO DO for whatever reason, they could eventually make it work. At this point though, there is no such reason. Shit's flying off the shelves as it is.

What is wrong with you two. ;_;

I've never dropped my i-anything, thankfully. Naked ftw. All I worry about is putting my phone down on a more rugged surface and getting the glass or aluminum scratched, so I occasionally put on a clear back snap.
Same here. My only worry is the back when laying on a table or surface. For that I just use a bumper. It raises the phone ever so slightly so that the back is not touching the surface and resting on the rubber bumper. I've never been able to scratch an iPhone screen in my life. Then again, I've never dropped or kept my phone in a pocket with keys in my life either.

Even a bumper is probably not my best bet. I should get those invisible back film protectors.

I'm deffinitely not a fan of the matte that we've seen from the 5 leaks. Can anyone explain why the matte wouldn't extend to the entire back and not have those stupid looking top and bottom sections be non-matte? I think it's ugly.

Blackhead

Redarse
Equating the "ooh shiny" superficiality of an Apple product's appeal to the "shiny" metaphor of the way Apple tends to polish their software UI/user experience? Really?

I gave two examples found in Macworld. One used 'shiny' in the exact same way as was later picked apart by the macalope. The other mentioned 'shiny' in a different way and I included it to show the variety of usage. Both examples of shiny I quoted are using it as positive adjectives. My examples show that the macalopes accusation of condescension for the critic's use of the word 'shiny' is a presumptuous cheap shot.

Phoenix

Multiple colors would be cool but that would eat into bumper/case sales lol

I don't think so. It hasn't stopped people from buying cases for Samsung smartphones which come in multiple colors, nor has it stopped the sales for the Windows 7 somewhat reasonably intelligent phones. Thus, I don't think Apple would look at those sales as a limiting factor for producing devices.

They seem to have a hell of a time producing their finishes in other colors though. White took several years of production to get right (granted its a much harder problem).

I gave two examples found in Macworld. One used 'shiny' in the exact same way as was later picked apart by the macalope. The other mentioned 'shiny' in a different way and I included it to show the variety of usage. Both examples of shiny I quoted are using it as positive adjectives. My examples show that the macalopes accusation of condescension for the critic's use of the word 'shiny' is a presumptuous cheap shot.

No, it wasn't presumptuous. If you read the thing using common sense, you would realize that. His entire article was filled with passive aggressive hate towards the company, even though he claims to love their products. It was clearly used in a disparaging way. I mean, come on..

It boils down to the old expression, Fool me once, shame on you — fool me twice, shame on me.

I already feel like I got taken by this company.

But you know what? I can live without the Apple iPhone 5. So, get it out of my face.

It was used in the same context as the typical 'ALL APPLE MAKES IS SHINY OVERPRICED SHIT' troll line.

I don't think so. It hasn't stopped people from buying cases for Samsung smartphones which come in multiple colors, nor has it stopped the sales for the Windows 7 somewhat reasonably intelligent phones. Thus, I don't think Apple would look at those sales as a limiting factor for producing devices.

They seem to have a hell of a time producing their finishes in other colors though. White took several years of production to get right (granted its a much harder problem).

Samsung phones come in multiple colors? Not really. It's usually 2 at most, same as Apple.

As for Lumia phones, I'd say the colors are actually a distinguishing feature of the phones, part of their identity, and makes them stand out among the pack. I find the colors more of a 'what the hell can we possibly do to make people notice these phones' concept.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I'm not up to date with Apple rumors, but I thought they were going to announce a new iPad soon. The OP says we shouldn't expect it at this conference. When CAN we expect it to be announced?

NYR

Interesting. @Chronic just posted these pics on Twitter. For those who don't know, @chronic is a legitimate source for new iPhone info and leaks:

http://instagram.com/p/PVw2EnCTbt/

http://instagram.com/p/PVYmHMiTVb/

That is a BLACK iphone with a SILVER back, which we have seen in some leaks, but the black on black has been in most leaks...

Multiple color options confirmed?? Black-on-Black dead confirmed??

f81588fef9a111e1a1fa22000a1c8697_7.jpg

8980ff08f9a711e185b022000a1cdc2f_7.jpg

a91ce040fa1311e1a64f22000a1e9e7e_71.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not up to date with Apple rumors, but I thought they were going to announce a new iPad soon. The OP says we shouldn't expect it at this conference. When CAN we expect it to be announced?
iPads are traditionally announced/launched in Q1. Expect it next year.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Oh, well I meant mini but I thought they both would come out together anyway. Guess I was wrong. So an October announcement it is huh.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. @Chronic just posted these pics on Twitter. For those who don't know, @chronic is a legitimate source for new iPhone info and leaks:

That is a BLACK iphone with a SILVER back, which we have seen in some leaks, but the black on black has been in most leaks...

f81588fef9a111e1a1fa22000a1c8697_7.jpg

8980ff08f9a711e185b022000a1cdc2f_7.jpg

a91ce040fa1311e1a64f22000a1e9e7e_71.jpg
Crap I hope black metal isn't gone :/

The thing with all the leaks of black on silver was that you could see the white plastic surrounds in the charging port, at the antenna break and the headphone port indicating those bodies were for the white phone. Can't tell that here.

A thought just occurred to me, why not color match the back glass to the body like the MacBook trackpads?

ChanHuk

Banned
I think I mentioned this before, but for people on family plans. Try calling into AT&T and tell them you're having problems paying your bill. They gave me a $50 credit, and a choice of either 6 months of free texting/m2m ($180 value) or $20 a month for texting/m2m. Math wins so I went with $20 a month for texting/m2m. First time AT&T has did something right for me.

Extremely annoying shots, but I digress. Why the hell would this person have an actual iPhone 5, and if he was someone in a position to do so, he'd be under a shitload of NDAs which would prevent him from spamming these to instagram at the risk of massive legal action. I call bullshit.

Extremely annoying shots, but I digress. Why the hell would this person have an actual iPhone 5, and if he was someone in a position to do so, he'd be under a shitload of NDAs which would prevent him from spamming these to instagram at the risk of massive legal action. I call bullshit.
Chronic's been on top of pretty much everything in the last couple of years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For some reason I can't see Apple going for the brushed metal look.

Certainly wouldn't look that great on the iPhone 5. Especially if you think of what they'd have to do with the front to make it look cohesive.

NYR

Yeah, the pics are like that on purpose for just that fact and like Liu Kang mentioned, @chronic is about as legit as you get when it comes to leaks - for example, first one to leak iOS details, and annouced the 4S, including form factor and cases before anyone.

He is extremely well connected in the mobile world - he really isn't "wrong" or in the business of spreading rumors, more like in the business of leaking news.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, the pics are like that on purpose for just that fact and like Liu Kang mentioned, @chronic is about as legit as you get when it comes to leaks - for example, first one to leak iOS details, and annouced the 4S, including form factor and cases before anyone.

He is extermely well connected in the mobile world - he really isn't "wrong" or in the business of spreading rumors, more like in the business of leaking news.
In that case, I hope black/charcoal is still an option. That throwback to the OG iPhone colour scheme is something no one asked for.

NYR

In that case, I hope black/charcoal is still an option. That throwback to the OG iPhone colour scheme is something no one asked for.

Me too, but I'm going back to black no matter what though, I personally regret going for a white 4S, to be honest.

dns72

Neo Member
I can upgrade in January but I want to see what phones are out by then. I'm also looking forward to see what the new iPhone has in store.

Me too, but I'm going back to black no matter what though, I personally regret going for a white 4S, to be honest.

I always liked the white version of the 4/4s better than the black version even though I already have a black 4s

numble

He also leaked how iOS maps would look like before it was shown, and a whole bunch of other things.

PCMag called him out on saying unlocked phones would be released on a specific day, and got burned for it:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386860,00.asp

[snip]

[snip]

If that's a legit iPhone in his hand, it looks thin as FUCK. Like I know that it's going to be thinner, and we've seen it in people's hands before, and obviously it has to be as thick as a headphone jack. But something about the shot of him holding it to his ear just makes it look SO thin. Goddamn.

Also who and how the flying fuck did anyone realize that the Apple banner was app icon, hahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom