• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sruckus

Excited, assuming that it's really not going to be that two-tone color. I just can't see that looking good in real life, it certainly doesn't in the pics IMO.

I've had the 4 since release and the home button is on its last legs (why can't they make that crap capacitive!?). Here's hoping Apple does online pre-orders again and that AT&T lets me upgrade and keep my unlimited plan (pretty plz!)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My hype is like a 6.

I'm excited in the sense that I love Apple conferences and I'm 99% sure I'll be buying this new iPhone on Day One.

I'm a pretty big Apple fanboy; I can admit that. I've been through several Apple computers, and because of me there are two iMacs, and iPad, two iPhones, and an Apple TV in this house. But for some reason, this new iPhone isn't exciting me as much as past phones. After messing with the Galaxy SIII and seeing the new Lumina 920; I was hoping for a bigger screen. I honestly don't understand just going taller - it seems like an interim solution. Someone earlier made a good point - Apple does their best work when they don't compromise. But a taller screen seems like a compromise.

That, and I'm really hoping the two-tone is charcoal and not silver.

More excited to see some OS6 stuff on both the new phone and iPad. And I'd be way more excited if they were showing new computers - retina 13" MBP or iMacs, anyone?

noah111

Still Alive
I'd just be glad to finally get a new phone where my wifi does not shut down when I hold it ''wrong'' because I freaking hate Apple and the iPhone 4 for that.
Haha, so this is the long-lasting result of antennagate. ps. pretty sure you can't get wifi to 'shut down' by holding it 'wrong'.

I think there are rumours that the next iMac would go the way of the latest Macbook and replace the HDD with a SSD.

Honestly, I love the aesthetics of iMacs and I think I would like to also own one, but I also know that whatever they come out with is probably going to cost an arm and a leg, relatively speaking.

I'd also like to see some more Apple products up close, but the closest Apple store is almost a half-hour from where I am, and I don't know what other stores would carry them, aside from Best Buy (which is closer, but still something of a hassle to drive to).

numble

It's not. Is 'useful' full of condescension as well? Macalope is reading their own interpretation into those words
Of course they are, but they are not suggesting that all instances of shiny suggest condescension, as you seem to be oddly interpreting.

Blackhead

Redarse
Of course they are, but they are not suggesting that all instances of shiny suggest condescension, as you seem to be oddly interpreting.
Macalope's words
Shiny! All Apple products must be described as “shiny” in order to achieve maximum condescension.
Macalope is suggesting that shiny is the height of condescension when used on "all" apple products.

numble

Macalope's words
Macalope is suggesting that shiny is the height of condescension when used on "all" apple products.
Read it again. Macalope is saying you use "shiny" when you want to maximize your already existing condescending tone about Apple products. It's really silly for you to misinterpret such a simple statement.

The critic was using "shiny" in a sentence full of condescension. Macalope is saying using "shiny" enhances the condescension, not that it provides the basis for condescension.

Hype meter: 7/10

Because Apple events are usually hit or miss for me and I know I'll probably be somewhat disappointed.

But when they do deliver... oh boy

That said, I think I've liked most of the products they have announced once I get to play with them in person.

EDIT:

Macalope's words

http://www.readingcomprehensionconnection.com/

You can thank me later!

Blackhead

Redarse
Read it again. Macalope is saying you use "shiny" when you want to maximize your already existing condescending tone about Apple products. It's really silly for you to misinterpret such a simple statement.

The critic was using "shiny" in a sentence full of condescension. Macalope is saying using "shiny" enhances the condescension, not that it provides the basis for condescension.
Macalope is using shiny to prove that the sentence is height of condescension. I disagree, I dont think shiny is a negative in the context, as evident when paired with useful.

numble

Macalope is using shiny to prove that the sentence is height of condescension. I disagree, I dont think shiny is a negative in the context, as evident when paired with useful.

Ugh, you'll see where your reading comprehension is wrong when you realize that the sentence pattern fits a typical logical reasoning statement.

Shiny! All Apple products must be described as “shiny” in order to achieve maximum condescension.

Must--in order to.

I must drink wine in order to have sex.

Does that mean everytime I drink wine, I want to have sex? No.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ugh, you'll see where your reading comprehension is wrong when you realize that the sentence pattern fits a typical logical reasoning statement.

Must--in order to.

Does that mean everytime I drink wine, I want to have sex? No.
er, tell that to the Macalope? Does every use of the word shiny in a 'bashing' article have to be condescending? I'm not arguing that shiny is the basis of the condescension in the article. I'm arguing that shiny is not adding to condescension, if there is any, in the article. Macalope is interpreting it differently as you already agreed so not sure what you're arguing about

numble

er, tell that to the Macalope? Does every use of the word shiny in a 'bashing' article have to be condescending? I'm not arguing that shiny is the basis of the condescension in the article. I'm arguing that shiny is not adding to condescension, if there is any, in the article. Macalope is interpreting it differently as you already agreed so not sure what you're arguing about

Because nothing in what Macalope said says that "shiny" cannot be used in a positive manner. Your examples of "shiny" being used positively in non-condescending articles does not prove anything.

These are your own words:

My examples show that the macalopes accusation of condescension for the critic's use of the word 'shiny' is a presumptuous cheap shot.

That's not what Macalope is saying.

Let's put this in "if then" terms:

Macalope says:
If you want to achieve maximum condescension, then you will use the word "shiny."

You interpret that to say:
If you use the word "shiny," then you have achieved maximum condescension.

Blackhead

Redarse
Because nothing in what Macalope said says that "shiny" cannot be used in a positive manner. Your examples of "shiny" being used positively in non-condescending articles does not prove anything.

These are your own words:

That's not what Macalope is saying.

Let's put this in "if then" terms:

Macalope says:
If you want to achieve maximum condescension, then you will use the word "shiny."

You interpret that to say:
If you use the word "shiny," then you have achieved maximum condescension.
Perhaps if you saw Woz's 'fixed' version:
Macalope is suggesting that shiny is the height of condescension when used on a bashing article.
But then again Macalope's focus is on bashing articles, is it not?

*shrug* macalope is reading between the lines and comprehending some hidden meaning that leads you to believe that a pundit describing a product, one that he bought, as useful and shiny as the height of condescension. I dont see it that way.

numble

Perhaps if you saw Woz's 'fixed' version:

But then again Macalope's focus is on bus articles, is it not?

*shrug* macalope is reading between the lines and comprehending some hidden meaning that leads you to believe that a pundit describing a product, one that he bought, as useful and shiny as the height of condescension. I dont see it that way.

Do we really need to try again with explaining this bit of reading comprehension?

"Must... in order to" is a very simple sentence pattern.

All Apple products must be described as “shiny” in order to achieve maximum condescension.

This does not mean that drinking wine means I want to have sex.

I must describe all Apple products as "shiny" in order to achieve maximum condescension.
This does not mean that, using the word "shiny" to describe Apple products, means I am being condescending to the max.

Macalope is saying that the article is already condescending, and that the word "shiny" is adding to the condescension.

Blackhead

Redarse
I must describe all Apple products as "shiny" in order to achieve maximum condescension.

Macalope is saying that the article is already condescending, and that the word "shiny" is adding to the condescension.
And again I have to point out that I dont think shiny is adding to the condescension?

Dany

Banned
Will apple talk about the ipod lineup and continue to ignore the Classic. When, if ever, will that receive an update? WhenSSD of that storage size becomes cheap?

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm starting to think it's not worth getting the iPad Mini, as I have an iPad 2 already..
Perhaps Apple will produce some surprises but the current rumors say The iPad mini will likely have the same specs but a smaller battery. Maybe switch if it's a much lighter version

I'm nearly an Apple hater but I can't wait to throw my LG out of the window

I'd say 9/10, keeping the 10/10 for the WiiU conference.

when's that?

Im more hyped for the ipod nano and iPhone accessories. Surely this has got to be the year apple goes wireless
event hype: 9/10
18th
It's actually the 13th, the day after Apple. Which couldn't be more foolish in my opinion.

numble

And again I have to point out that I dont think shiny is adding to the condescension?

Okay, it's fine to dispute that logical inference as incorrect.

But many of your posts indicate that you're reading it in a very incorrect way, believing that they are suggesting that the use of "shiny" leads to condescension.

If I say:
Everyone must drink wine in order to play basketball.

And you gather evidence of previous times people drank wine but did not play basketball, you're not disproving my statement. (You gathered quotes of MacWorld previously using the word "shiny" but not being condescending).

Or if you tell others that I am saying that drinking wine is presumption of playing basketball. Like when you accuse Macalope of saying that the use of "shiny" presumes condescension:

My examples show that the macalopes accusation of condescension for the critic's use of the word 'shiny' is a presumptuous cheap shot.

You would have to find a time where people played basketball but did not drink wine.

*It's of course going to be hard to disprove a statement arguing about "maximum condescension" since condescension, and maximum condescension are so subjective.

Floex

I'm starting to think it's not worth getting the iPad Mini, as I have an iPad 2 already..

Why would it be if you already have an iPad?

Hype for the new iPhone 1/10 Honestly, a slightly larger screen isn't doing anything for me. I can some improvements to Siri that I will not be bothered to use because it is so pointless. I really don't see many drastic changes. People coming from a 3GS will be blown away though

Interested to see what they have planned for the iPad mini and they had better be priced with what's on the market and not forced to have 'Apple Tax'

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
apps.jpg

I gotta say, that's hilarious. Was Apple betting on someone figuring it out, or not? Dat subtle trollage.
With the perspective corrected and the apps above it sort of looks like a dock heh

Bgamer90

Banned
Fairly low, it will take more than what has been revealed to get me to upgrade from my 3GS.

Dude...

DUDE.

What are you waiting for?

The 4S is a HUGE leap from the 3GS. The 5 will be... no words to describe the leap from the 3GS. Mindblowing is the only word I can come up with but it'll be more than that.

You pay more than $50 per month for your phone plan right? Might as well ditch the 3GS and at least get a 4S. I would definitely get the 5 if I were you though.

Pachimari

Perhaps Apple will produce some surprises but the current rumors say The iPad mini will likely have the same specs but a smaller battery. Maybe switch if it's a much lighter version
Nah, I would like to keep my 10".

Why would it be if you already have an iPad?

Hype for the new iPhone 1/10 Honestly, a slightly larger screen isn't doing anything for me. I can some improvements to Siri that I will not be bothered to use because it is so pointless. I really don't see many drastic changes. People coming from a 3GS will be blown away thought

Interested to see what they have planned for the iPad mini and they had better be priced with what's on the market and not forced to have 'Apple Tax'
I would use my iPad 2 Wifi device at home while taking the lighter and smaller iPad Mini 8" 3G with me to school and around, also on train trips to Sweden.

Floex

I would use my iPad 2 Wifi device at home while taking the lighter and smaller iPad Mini 8" 3G with me to school and around, also on train trips to Sweden.

Is the iPad that heavy then? :/ I really can't see any point in having an mini and an iPad

Blackhead

Redarse
Okay, it's fine to dispute that logical inference as incorrect.

*It's of course going to be hard to disprove a statement arguing about "maximum condescension" since condescension, and maximum condescension are so subjective.
It's beside the point to argue what is or is not maximum condescension when I dont think shiny adds to the condescension at all.

I have my doubts that the ipad mini will be much more portable than the ipad 2. Until the official specs are revealed I think the main reason for the ipad mini is the lower price point. It will be cheaper for apple to produce.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
My 3GS has been killing me for a while. My parents want to get me the 5 for Christmas, but there's no way I'm waiting for December to come, especially since I can buy it for myself at launch. My 3GS dinosaur freezes randomly, sometimes decides to run as slow as it possibly can, and likes to restart whenever it decides it would be fun to.

Hype for me? 10/10. I needed this new phone six months ago. I should have gotten the 4S, but I didn't want another in-between model.

It's actually the 13th, the day after Apple. Which couldn't be more foolish in my opinion.
Yeah, awful timing. Whatever Apple announces is going to dominate the news for the rest of the week. Nintendo might dominate gaming news depending on what they announce, but truly shocking Nintendo news that make it to regular news outlets are pretty rare nowadays.

EDIT:

OR on the other hand, maybe it's actually great timing? If they think they're going to announce a price that is not going to sit well with the vocal hardcores, then I can see how they'd want said news to be drowned out by the Apple news.

numble

It's beside the point to argue what is or is not maximum condescension when I dont think shiny adds to the condescension at all.

But that's because judging condescension is subjective, which was my point. Macalope and others think that "shiny" does add to the condescension. To objectively disprove Macalope's statement, you need to prove that nobody believes it adds to the condescension. Which is hard to do since condescension is subjective.

If Macalope had said:
When Apple products are described as “shiny,” you have achieved maximum condescension.

Throwing around positive articles with the word "shiny" would disprove that statement.

I stopped trying to follow that hilarity a while back. Come on guys, there are things other than words to talk about to pass the time. Three days gudammit.

You might as well be waiting for the second coming.

Ya I don't know how the screen alone isn't making him tempted. The 3GS has a godawful screen.

I just want to know the pricing on the ipad mini. Will be super bummed if they don't at least announce it this week.

Is the iPad that heavy then? :/ I really can't see any point in having an mini and an iPad

I would like to have a smaller 4g ipad for day to day use while outside of the home, then a full sized wifi model for home use.

Blackhead

Redarse
But that's because judging condescension is subjective, which was my point. Macalope and others think that "shiny" does add to the condescension. To objectively disprove Macalope's statement, you need to prove that nobody believes it adds to the condescension. Which is hard to do since condescension is subjective.

If Macalope had said:
When Apple products are described as “shiny,” you have achieved maximum condescension.

Throwing around positive articles with the word "shiny" would disprove that statement.
Whoa there lawyer, this aint a court. I wasn't trying to prove anything beyond reasonable doubt.

I just want to know the pricing on the ipad mini. Will be super bummed if they don't at least announce it this week.

I would like to have a smaller 4g ipad for day to day use while outside of the home, then a full sized wifi model for home use.
well prepare to be super bummed. This week for ipad mini is an expectation not worth having at this point.

No you're right, shiny was used as a compliment in a sentence full of condescension and an article full of passive aggressiveness.

What's wrong with some of you people? Just like to play devil's advocate? Just accept that you're wrong and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom