• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Been using the Apple bumper for almost 2 years now and it's finally starting to fall apart. Was pretty pissed the first time I took it off and found that I had a few scuff marks on the steel band around the phone.

Yeah, any bit of dirt that gets stuck between the steel band and the case can end up scratching it. I've scuff marks around all the openings - slient switch, headphone, speakers and dock connector. I probably should've gone without a case from the very start, all the scuff marks on my iPhone 4 came from when I was using the bumper.

I also don't use a screen protector on the iPhone (though I do on the iPad) and it's been absolutely fine. Bloody resilient, this glass. I'm not really fussed that both the front and back are glass.

Yeah, the pics are like that on purpose for just that fact and like Liu Kang mentioned, @chronic is about as legit as you get when it comes to leaks - for example, first one to leak iOS details, and annouced the 4S, including form factor and cases before anyone.

He is extremely well connected in the mobile world - he really isn't "wrong" or in the business of spreading rumors, more like in the business of leaking news.

Doesn't matter how connected he is. The only conceivable people that could be in possession of the finished, to be lauched iphone at this time are high level Apple employees. So you're saying an employee gave it to him? He stole it? Found it? All scenarios are close to impossible. This is Apple. Being informed about news/software through software is one thing. Being in possession of an iPhone that yet to be unveiled and not launching for weeks is quite another. I think he's exploiting his street cred to troll everyone.

numble

Doesn't matter how connected he is. The only conceivable people that could be in possession of the finished, to be lauched iphone at this time are high level Apple employees. So you're saying an employee gave it to him? He stole it? Found it? All scenarios are close to impossible. This is Apple. Being informed about news/software through software is one thing. Being in possession of an iPhone that yet to be unveiled and not launching for weeks is quite another. I think he's exploiting his street cred to troll everyone.
That's not true. All the official carriers have test units.

He might have an AT&T connection given that he is helping people officially unlock AT&T iPhones when they're not out of contract.

Chronic is just trolling.

... He said it himself.

So how high is the hype meter for everyone?

While I'm (obviously) not an apple guy, I always look forward to their presentations! I would say my expectations are quite low, since most of the stuff seems to be leaked, but maybe they can pull a nice surprise out of their hat!

Hypemeter: 6/10

Rikkun

I'm nearly an Apple hater but I can't wait to throw my LG out of the window

I'd say 9/10, keeping the 10/10 for the WiiU conference.

Enco

Fairly low, it will take more than what has been revealed to get me to upgrade from my 3GS.
The 3GS is crap compared to the 4 and 4S. Don't see what else you want before upgrading. Unless if money is tight of course.

If you're looking for a new phone there's no reason not to upgrade.

So how high is the hype meter for everyone?

While I'm (obviously) not an apple guy, I always look forward to their presentations! I would say my expectations are quite low, since most of the stuff seems to be leaked, but maybe they can pull a nice surprise out of their hat!

Hypemeter: 6/10

Definitely a 6/10 as well.

Most of it has been leaked unless everything is just one big hoax and Apple will surprise all of us.

What has been leaked so far did not even got me excited in the slightest.

Ragus

Banned
5/10

If I hadn't seen the leaks, then maybe I'd be more hyped. Right now I'm looking at a slightly thinner and longer iPhone 4 with an ugly back. I really think, that my 4 looks better.

If Apple doesn't wow me with something on the 12th of september, then it's new Lumia for me.

Lace

I'm sitting at around a 6/10 right now. More interested in what Apple will try and surprise us with in iOS 6, and possible iPod Touch refresh (hoping for retina screens).

I'd say 7/10 for me, especially after I sold my iPhone 4 and I'm using my old LG flip phone, I can't believe how dependent I was on a smartphone

I just hope there are some surprises left

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
6/10, step backwards design-wise from the 4 and whether we will even be able to use 4G in the UK is still up in the air.

More interested in what bits they've left out of OS6, and any other surprises. It's a key product so there will be some.

6/10, step backwards design-wise from the 4 and whether we will even be able to use 4G in the UK is still up in the air.

More interested in what bits they've left out of OS6, and any other surprises. It's a key product so there will be some.

I assume there has to be iPhone 5 exclusive iOS 6 features, like when they introduced Siri last year

noah111

Still Alive
Interesting. @Chronic just posted these pics on Twitter. For those who don't know, @chronic is a legitimate source for new iPhone info and leaks:

http://instagram.com/p/PVw2EnCTbt/

http://instagram.com/p/PVYmHMiTVb/

That is a BLACK iphone with a SILVER back, which we have seen in some leaks, but the black on black has been in most leaks...

Multiple color options confirmed?? Black-on-Black dead confirmed??
I was just saying this the other day, how there are multiple black glass leaks. And as I said, the charcoal version is the only good looking one imo. FUCK.

Chronic is just trolling.
"just a pamphlet from the mail" tf

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I assume there has to be iPhone 5 exclusive iOS 6 features, like when they introduced Siri last year

I'd imagine so, although Siri was a case of deliberately holding back something to boost what was a disappointing update.

With the 5 and the 2 version numbers (N41/N42) I think the surprise was meant to be NFC. If the N42 has no NFC guts at all then that goes out the window. Would be very short-sighted in terms of getting retailer support though, and this launch will get a lot more attention than the next one which will just be a refresh.

Not quite sure what else they'd hold back to keep secret to be honest, everything about the 5 seems a compromise so far. And Apple are at their best when not compromising, so my expectations have never been lower for an Apple event really.

Majine

Banned
Remember when we got pictures of leaked hardware through fuzzy, small and unfocused pictures? Good thing we have Instagram now.

There will always be people who have near religious believes when it comes down to Apple. They will still camp out along the stores and act like a child in a candy store, but I also have this feeling that the iPhone 5 could slowly mean the release from their godlike status.

The biggest failure they did, if the rumors are true (and I will keep mentioning this), is not making the screen bigger in overall size but only make it taller.

The biggest reason why Samsung won over Apple in terms of sales of their smartphones is because their Galaxy S3 has the most beautiful looking screen ever created for a smartphone.

People like bigger because bigger equals better. This is the same in the TV branch. People never want to downgrade or stay at the same level when the competitive companies are adjusting to their needs.

Tobor

I gave two examples found in Macworld. One used 'shiny' in the exact same way as was later picked apart by the macalope. The other mentioned 'shiny' in a different way and I included it to show the variety of usage. Both examples of shiny I quoted are using it as positive adjectives. My examples show that the macalopes accusation of condescension for the critic's use of the word 'shiny' is a presumptuous cheap shot.

Your examples don't show that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
There will always be people who have near religious believes when it comes down to Apple. They will still camp out along the stores and act like a child in a candy store, but I also have this feeling that the iPhone 5 could slowly mean the release from their godlike status.

The biggest failure they did, if the rumors are true (and I will keep mentioning this), is not making the screen bigger in overall size but only make it taller.

The biggest reason why Samsung won over Apple in terms of sales of their smartphones is because their Galaxy S3 has the most beautiful looking screen ever created for a smartphone.

People like bigger because bigger equals better. This is the same in the TV branch. People never want to downgrade or stay at the same level when the competitive companies are adjusting to their needs.

I think the taller screen is going to be a tougher sale than they are used to. It's a compromise to get a bigger battery for 4G, but if that was the case they should have just bitten the bullet and gone bigger all round. As they will only run up against it again in the future most likely.

16:9 just looks off, however they try and spin it, and if the back does end up 2-tone as well it's getting into 'a bit ugly' territory. Unibody and being a tiny bit thinner won't cancel that out.

The 4 was always going to be a tough one to follow, but this isn't really cutting it for me so far.

SeanR1221

I haven't been in the release day buying game since the 3GS. How hard was the 4s to get at or around launch? I want the 5 ASAP.

numble

I gave two examples found in Macworld. One used 'shiny' in the exact same way as was later picked apart by the macalope. The other mentioned 'shiny' in a different way and I included it to show the variety of usage. Both examples of shiny I quoted are using it as positive adjectives. My examples show that the macalopes accusation of condescension for the critic's use of the word 'shiny' is a presumptuous cheap shot.
The critic was using "shiny" in a sentence full of condescension. Macalope is saying using "shiny" enhances the condescension, not that it provides the basis for condescension.

Apple makes useful, shiny products that are more crucial to my existence than clean air or water.

Septimus

So the theme of the event is 'being stretched'?

Apple trolling? I'm definitely getting the new device anyway though since my 3GS is on its last legs.

KillGore

I haven't been in the release day buying game since the 3GS. How hard was the 4s to get at or around launch? I want the 5 ASAP.

I think this is the first iPhone I will be buying, I would like to know this as well. I think I already know the answer (very hard) but I have hope

DR3AM

when will i able able to buy the iPhone 5 from apple ( or any other retailer) without the contract and how much will it cost? $600 again?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I camped out for the first iPhone for ~10 hours, and got one before they sold out.

The iPhone 3GS was easy to reserve at BestBuy around noon the day pre-orders went up.

The 4S was a pain in the ass to pre-order on Apple's site for a good six hours, because of AT&T struggling to keep up; but Verizon and Sprint upgrades went smoothly. I still managed to preorder one.

Getting a new iPhone on launch isn't easy; but it should be possible for anyone willing to put in a little effort. Honestly, 90% of your problems early on will be because these multi-billion dollar phone companies can't seem to upgrade their servers to handle a load of people trying to GIVE THEM MORE MONEY :-/

Just remember - you now can preorder in a Cellular store. Apple's site, or BestBuy. And all those places will have even more available when it actually launches.

noah111

Still Alive
16:9 just looks off, however they try and spin it, and if the back does end up 2-tone as well it's getting into 'a bit ugly' territory. Unibody and being a tiny bit thinner won't cancel that out.

The 4 was always going to be a tough one to follow, but this isn't really cutting it for me so far.
Yup. We'll see how it goes down, but if there is no 'exclusive' feature like NFC and LTE then this will be an even tougher sell, beyond looks.

noah111

Still Alive
apps.jpg

I gotta say, that's hilarious. Was Apple betting on someone figuring it out, or not? Dat subtle trollage.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yup. We'll see how it goes down, but if there is no 'exclusive' feature like NFC and LTE then this will be an even tougher sell, beyond looks.

Yeah, it they can't be ahead of the game design-wise like they were with the 4 then they have to do it another way. And if they've gone with the version of the 5 which doesn't even have the guts for NFC in it to take advantage of later it's not a very attractive proposal. Just 4G, which being in the UK could be a year away unless Orange get their way to launch early.

The 5 just seems a mass of compromises to me, which isn't how you keep the flagship phone a flagship. I hope there is something we are completely missing with it which we find out on Wednesday. I just can't see what it would be at the moment.

I'd just be glad to finally get a new phone where my wifi does not shut down when I hold it ''wrong'' because I freaking hate Apple and the iPhone 4 for that.

giga

I never said I needed 50Mbps down. My point was, it would be nice to have a wireless chip that can do better than 12-15Mbps down.
The 4S already manages real world 30+ mbps on 802.11n. Link speed is 72mbps (2.4ghz, 20mhz channel, one spatial stream). For me, 5ghz support is more important than two streams. It's been in the iPad forever yet the iPhone has yet to get it.

Pretty interested to see what Apple is going to do with this. Thinking about upgrading from my 4 but recent Android phones are starting to look really good to me as well. Not sure about the whole taller but not larger screen size. Guess we'll find out!

Yeah, I'm interested to see if they're doing anything cool with the additional RAM and CPU power.

The 4S already manages real world 30+ mbps on 802.11n. Link speed is 72mbps (2.4ghz, 20mhz channel, one spatial stream). For me, 5ghz support is more important than two streams. It's been in the iPad forever yet the iPhone has yet to get it.
Nice. The 5 should be great, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom