• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's September 12 Event | It's almost here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
Dude...

DUDE.

What are you waiting for?

The 4S is a HUGE leap from the 3GS. The 5 will be... no words to describe the leap from the 3GS. Mindblowing is the only word I can come up with but it'll be more than that.

You pay more than $50 per month for your phone plan right? Might as well ditch the 3GS and at least get a 4S. I would definitely get the 5 if I were you though.

You are good at this hyping :p

You know what the best part is of big apple conferences like this one. The typical internet cycle.

1) people start having expectations for things they know they won't get on the new phone
2) they are underwhelmed when the phone is revealed because of said expectations
3) people will criticize every aspect, no big screen, aluminium what? That's all the RAM? No A6? etc...
4) armchair critics and android fanboys will dub this apple's first miss (like the iphone 4S)
5) hands on previews come out, very positive, phone looks great, runs smooth as ever, software is polished
6) rave reviews come out
7) sales records shattered
8) people go out of their way to justify their pre-conference phone purchase for some reason (I'm glad I DIDN'T WAIT and got the S3, WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!)

lol. I'm sure I missed like 6 steps somewhere in between those such as various meltdowns, holding it against apple that a lot of it leaked, and so on. But those are the big points. It's always good times.

Apple is beginning to really fall behind in terms of phones. The Galaxy 3 is an amazing phone. I would abandon ship right now if I actually liked Android as an OS.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Apple is beginning to really fall behind in terms of phones. The Galaxy 3 is an amazing phone. I would abandon ship right now if I actually liked Android as an OS.
It's more like other people have caught up and Apple has become complacent for the most part. I guess less risk-taking comes with the territory though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I'm a big Apple fanboy, but the S3 is sexy.

I'm a fan of both android and iOS and I think the S3 is a fucking abomination, mostly because of touchwiz (don't even give me that rooting business). The One X on the other hand <3. Also:

Falling behind or being complacent has the implication that apple should be trying to, or is trying to catch up, but is unable to. When that is not the case. They don't give a fuck. What are they falling behind in? Huge screens? Apple sells more phones than all those other ones with much bigger screens. So one could argue the market apple is serving is the biggest one and is definitely not falling behind on that front. In terms of software? Obviously not considering people here are willing to put up with "disappointing" screen size to stay with iOS. Camera? GPU? Etc...all top notch. Hardware quality? Unparalleled.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
From what we've seen I think this will be the year the competitors pull away. A taller screen isn't good enough, and I can't see what they'd add next year to keep ahead.

From what we've seen I think this will be the year the competitors pull away. A taller screen isn't good enough, and I can't see what they'd add next year to keep ahead.
people said the same kind of stuff with the 4S. People need to realize that not everyone wants a certain thing. There's a market who want these big ass screens, and there is a market that don't, and there is a market that simply don't care.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
People keep saying the phone is getting bigger for LTE battery requirements but the battery is not getting significantly bigger.

I personally think the main driver for expanding the footprint of the device was to help make it thinner.

People keep saying the phone is getting bigger for LTE battery requirements but the battery is not getting significantly bigger.

I personally think the main driver for expanding the footprint of the device was to help make it thinner.
probably not just one thing. It was a win win situation on all fronts. Get the bigger battery, get the slimmer phone, get the bigger screen, get LTE.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
people said the same kind of stuff with the 4S. People need to realize that not everyone wants a certain thing. There's a market who want these big ass screens, and there is a market that don't, and there is a market that simply don't care.

I think that's true, I really like the 4's form-factor. I think its whole design was pretty much perfect, especially considering its age now. It's held up really well. I wouldn't be allergic though to something bigger, just depends what else was part of the whole deal.

The 5 though is a bit odd because it's trying to straddle both. The design is a step back from the 4, but the increase in height doesn't give you all the benefit a bigger screen would. So you've sort of muted the iPhone's original appeal a bit and muted the appeal of going bigger at the same time.

It's an unusual approach for Apple, and while it will no doubt sell shitloads unless there is something key we are missing at the moment I can't see the 5 having the clear lead the 4 had in mindshare. And at a time when Apple need it more than before.

goodfella

Dude...

DUDE.

What are you waiting for?

The 4S is a HUGE leap from the 3GS. The 5 will be... no words to describe the leap from the 3GS. Mindblowing is the only word I can come up with but it'll be more than that.

You pay more than $50 per month for your phone plan right? Might as well ditch the 3GS and at least get a 4S. I would definitely get the 5 if I were you though.

lol.

I'm actually on pay as you go, I own the phone outright. It's just that I'm wanting a bigger screen, and the 5 is only a bit taller.
The Android phones screens look tempting, but then none of the have build quality near that of Apple.

I'm a fan of both android and iOS and I think the S3 is a fucking abomination, mostly because of touchwiz (don't even give me that rooting business). The One X on the other hand <3.

Doesn't the One X have an HTC custom skin on it though? I want a Nexus with that screen.

How long do we think it will be until the next Nexus comes out?

Majine

Banned
Personally, the only smartphone that looks better than iPhone is the Nokia Lumia 900. Too bad the WP Appstore is nowhere near iOS.

Rengoku

Add me to the camp that's planning on jumping to Android if the iPhone 5 fails to impress. So obviously, the top 2 contenders in the Android space are the SIII and the One X. It seems the One X has the SIII beat in terms of build quality and screen, while the SIII has more RAM, Removable battery/storage, and Jelly Bean. Seems like Jelly Bean will only arrive on the One X at the end of the year. Honestly, I don't know what to do... ideally I want to wait till December to see if there will be a Nexus 2... What are the chances of that happening?

Personally, the only smartphone that looks better than iPhone is the Nokia Lumia 900. Too bad the WP Appstore is nowhere near iOS.
I don't think it looks better, but I've said it in the Nokia threads that Nokia is the only other company creating unique great looking phones besides Apple. Whether it's better or not is up to whoever though.

But yeah...windows phone lol.

Add me to the camp that's planning on jumping to Android if the iPhone 5 fails to impress. So obviously, the top 2 contenders in the Android space are the SIII and the One X. It seems the One X has the SIII beat in terms of build quality and screen, while the SIII has more RAM, Removable battery/storage, and Jelly Bean. Seems like Jelly Bean will only arrive on the One X at the end of the year. Honestly, I don't know what to do... ideally I want to wait till December to see if there will be a Nexus 2... What are the chances of that happening?
what would be "fails to impress" for you?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The entire Lumia series look like budget smartphones IMO. Like an overweight Nano. It's like trying to bust out of it's casing.

EDIT: Talking aesthetics specifically.

I still dont see android as something desirable.

iPhone or Windows Phone, there is the best selling phone with the most apps on the one handside, and the underdog with beautiful ui and clever ideas and nokias great hardware on the other.

android is so.. i dont know. android is so "hm ok, yeah, it gets the job done, right? and the screen is big, so that is worth something, i guess".

if you are going to jump ship, i would definitely not chose android :D

The entire Lumia series look like budget smartphones IMO. Like an overweight Nano. It's like trying to bust out of it's casing.

lol woot. every single lumia has fantastic build quality and feels great and premium and the design is bold and fresh

Majine

Banned
But yeah...windows phone lol.

I live kinda in the middle of nowhere and even my local traincompany have an iOS app, and maybe an Android app. WP? Not a chance. It's stuff like that is why I can't switch OS.

Really? I've held it once, and it felt fine. The way the bezel color matches the tiles in the OS is aesthetically genius. But yeah, it's not enough for me.

Blablurn

I still dont see android as something desirable.

iPhone or Windows Phone, there is the best selling phone with the most apps on the one handside, and the underdog with beautiful ui and clever ideas and nokias great hardware on the other.

android is so.. i dont know. android is so "hm ok, yeah, it gets the job done, right? and the screen is big, so that is worth something, i guess".

if you are going to jump ship, i would definitely not chose android :D

image.php

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
There have been rumours (from the Wall Street Journal or some similar outlet, I think).

If the rumours pan out for once that would be megaton level.

iTunes used to be great, but since it became a jack of all trades it's felt a bloated mess. Even on a Mac where it still runs alright you can't help wanting it all torn down and started again.

Zutroy

Anecdotal on my part, but it definitely seems like a vocal minority who want the bigger screens (especially on a more tech savvy site like Gaf). My work offers employees a choice of a 4S or a S3, and just about every person picks the 4S because the screen on the S3 is 'far too big'. I tend to agree with them as well, I would be more than happy if the screen stayed the same size. The 4 is the best phone I've ever owned, and I would be happy with the design for a long time if they just added new features (NFC, 4G, better camera, quicker processors etc.)

I skipped the 4S (actually I have one as a work phone) so will definitely be getting the 5. The only thing I would be disappointed about it is if it doesn't have NFC. I know all recently rumours are saying no, but I'm hoping that's just to knock us off the scent of it.

Anecdotal on my part, but it definitely seems like a vocal minority who want the bigger screens (especially on a more tech savvy site like Gaf). My work offers employees a choice of a 4S or a S3, and just about every person picks the 4S because the screen on the S3 is 'far too big'. I tend to agree with them as well, I would be more than happy if the screen stayed the same size. The 4 is the best phone I've ever owned, and I would be happy with the design for a long time if they just added new features (NFC, 4G, better camera, quicker processors etc.)

I skipped the 4S (actually I have one as a work phone) so will definitely be getting the 5. The only thing I would be disappointed about it is if it doesn't have NFC. I know all recently rumours are saying no, but I'm hoping that's just to knock us off the scent of it.
it's not completely anecdotal, it's proven. Never read internet opinions on what consumers really want. Just look at sales and stuff for that. When the 4S came out, the backlash was incredible online. SHATTERED records IRL.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Same.

I'd be happy with a 4SS, it's the changes in the design that are putting me more off the 5. So it better pack some interesting things to make up for that.

Rengoku

what would be "fails to impress" for you?

Well, from the leaks reported so far, I'm not seeing anything hardware wise that is groundbreaking. The iPhone 4's retina display was a huge plus for me when it was first announced, I guess I'm looking for something on that level. Sure, the screen is bigger, but it isn't 720p, and just 4" compared to the competition. It'll have LTE, but others phones already have that. It'll be faster, but at this point, smartphones in general are plenty fast. Maybe better GPU, but I personally don't game much on my phone anyway.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else Apple has to show that will really blow me away. Perhaps a groundbreaking Camera? or some revolutionary iOS feature that hasn't been already revealed in the iOS 6 beta?

Well, from the leaks reported so far, I'm not seeing anything hardware wise that is groundbreaking. The iPhone 4's retina display was a huge plus for me when it was first announced, I guess I'm looking for something on that level. Sure, the screen is bigger, but it isn't 720p, and just 4" compared to the competition. It'll have LTE, but others phones already have that. It'll be faster, but at this point, smartphones in general are plenty fast. Maybe better GPU, but I personally don't game much on my phone anyway.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else Apple has to show that will really blow me away. Perhaps a groundbreaking Camera? or some revolutionary iOS feature that hasn't been already revealed in the iOS 6 beta?
enjoy your new android phone

Still on a 3GS am looking forward to this for an upgrade. Hope it's going to be worth it. Lol.
people using 3GS or earlier are in for like a mindblowing upgrade

Rengoku

enjoy your new android phone

Its not an easy decision I'll tell you that. I spent quite abit of money on the App Store, and I love the fact that developers frequently update their apps to take advantage of the features of each new iPhone. It feels pretty great to have the latest phone from Apple and be able to see a bunch of apps optimized for it within weeks. I'm not so sure about the Android marketplace in this regard.

Its not an easy decision I'll tell you that. I spent quite abit of money on the App Store, and I love the fact that developers frequently update their apps to take advantage of the features of each new iPhone. It feels pretty great to have the latest phone from Apple and be able to see a bunch of apps optimized for it within weeks. I'm not so sure about the Android marketplace in this regard.
I was just saying, expecting any surprise random groundbreaking features is high of an expectation that probably won't happen. There might be something here or there we don't know about, but groundbreaking? Nope.

What you said (and more reasons) is basically why I can't be without an android device. When I had an andoid phone I used an ipad. When I got my 4S, I started using an android tablet a little later. Can't be without iOS. Has the most high quality apps, they update the most, the least bugs, best firmware support, best polish, best hardware, good specs, etc...

Personally I'd like a 4.3 inch screen (no bigger), but honestly, iOS shits on everything else so much to the point that I don't even care at this point. Maybe in 2 years I'll care more, but until then. And this is from someone with extensive use in both of the biggest operating systems.

I'm waiting to hear about the camera. Being an artists/designer, the thing that matters most to me is the screen quality, and the camera quality, the 920 is so far above and beyond what others are offering. Plus the phone itself looks pretty sexy, and windows phone os is the best looking of the bunch imo.

I'm excited to see what apple will offer, hopefully it can pull my attention away from the lumia.

I really hate this about the iphone. It means that I have less and less software I can use for my 3g. Half of my apps no longer work and I can no longer download them because they've been "ugraded" to use new features my phone doesn't have. It's fustrating as hell.

I really hate this about the iphone. It means that I have less and less software I can use for my 3g. Half of my apps no longer work and I can no longer download them because they've been "ugraded" to use new features my phone doesn't have. It's fustrating as hell.
Progress marches on.

You can't expect developers to continue supporting a device with 2007 internals that Apple doesn't even sell anymore.

SuperPac

I'm really interested in any improvements to the camera. I use my 4S to take pictures of my daughter daily - it's the feature I care the most about (and IMO one area where the competition just doesn't stack up well).

As long as the thing is snappier than the 4S, has a better camera and LTE - I'll be happy. That is about all I expect. Anything else, like NFC, would just be cake on top.

But I fully expect the reaction of "the Internet" to be complete and utter disappointment.

Progress marches on.

You can't expect developers to continue supporting a device with 2007 internals that Apple doesn't even sell anymore.

Um, why not, people do it for computers, why is it that hard to do it for phones? Imagine being unable to play videogames on pc because your gpu is 2 years old? that's be garbage.

I dont get how people can defend this practice.

numble

Um, why not, people do it for computers, why is it that hard to do it for phones? Imagine being unable to play videogames on pc because your gpu is 2 years old? that's be garbage.

The 3G uses the same hardware as the first generation iPhone. It's more apt to compare it with a 5 year GPU and the latest games.

The 3G uses the same hardware as the first generation iPhone. It's more apt to compare it with a 5 year GPU and the latest games.

my top of the line 5 year old gpu still runs crysis 2. My top of the line 5 year old phone should still be able to download and use apps. Legacy support is important to me.

Tobor

Phone tech is moving much faster than computers right now. Eventually we'll reach a point where mobile tech slows down and matures, but as of now, it's better to think of your phone in dog years when compared to a PC.

Apple still supports the 3GS (it's getting iOS6, for example) and that came out in 2009. Is there a single Android device from 2009 that got or is getting Ice Cream Sandwich, let alone Jellybean?

And the 3G uses 2007 hardware, so your two-year comparison doesn't quite align. Phone GPUs are accelerating at a far faster rate than whatever is in your PC, so you can't do a 1:1 comparison like you did with your Crysis anecdote.

Bigfoot

Apple should still allow users to download older versions of Apps that they have purchased. I hate that about the App store. It is even worse when an app you bought is no longer on the App store for download period.

Apple still supports the 3GS (it's getting iOS6, for example) and that came out in 2009. Is there a single Android device from 2009 that got or is getting Ice Cream Sandwich, let alone Jellybean?

And the 3G uses 2007 hardware, so your two-year comparison doesn't quite align.

yeah, it's a problem for all phones, but that doesn't really matter to me. I'm not some junkie who gets off on having the newest phone, what I do care about is support of my phone. Android has other issues, 90% of anything worth owning on it is open source, theres a lot of hardware to deal with, etc, I can't fault people for being lazy. They dont have any responsibility or accountability to ensure that their software works across every phone running android. Apple on the other hand has a very limited number of sku's and a very rigid guidline for apps, ensuring backwards compatibility should be easy, even with limited functionality.

Apple should still allow users to download older versions of Apps that they have purchased. I hate that about the App store. It is even worse when an app you bought is no longer on the App store for download period.

also this. I bought brushes when it worked on my phone, I used it a lot, I had to remove it during an update and now i cant get it back, this is a slap in the face to me.

I think the issue is the annual phone refresh. Phone tech sector is seeing significant advances, which other phone manufacturers take advantage of. Samsung comes out with multiple Galaxy phones in a year. HTC, Nokia, Motorolla follow the same suit.

The closed nature of the Apple software and hardware ecosystem makes it easier for competition to play catch up.

But they do have support, ease of use/user experience an public mind share at the moment.

numble

my top of the line 5 year old gpu still runs crysis 2. My top of the line 5 year old phone should still be able to download and use apps. Legacy support is important to me.
If you're concerned about legacy abandonment, you shouldn't consider the 920.

The 3G still runs new games like Where's my Perry, Where's my Water, the Angry Birds games, Temple Run, etc.

The A5 GPU, which came along when mobile chips became more mature, is probably going to be still very capable in 5 years time, for what it's worth. It's almost 2 years old and it still outperforms a lot of the newer tablets.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think the issue is the annual phone refresh. Phone tech sector is seeing significant advances, which other phone manufacturers take advantage of. Samsung comes out with multiple Galaxy phones in a year. HTC, Nokia, Motorolla follow the same suit.

The closed nature of the Apple software and hardware ecosystem makes it easier for competition to play catch up.

But they do have support, ease of use/user experience an public mind share at the moment.
Umm. I think you'll find companies like HTC, Motorola and Samsung are releasing fewer devices than ever.

Everyone is pretty much following the Apple model of one flagship per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom