• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2012 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Best selling game sold less than 236K, Kid Icarus]

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why the heck didn't Nintendo use the Fatal Frame name to help Spirit Camera...

Hope we'll eventually get numbers for Xenoblade.

Terrell

They need to SHOW they can match the features of even the Xbox 1 online.

3DS still uses friend codes. Also if you buy digital games on the 3DS and lose the system you lose all those purchases. They still don't have a basic universal account system.
How is the friend code (notice the singular, cuz there's only one) any different from a gamer tag? Even better, how is it any worse than a phone number? Please explain it to me in detail.

My point was that the jump in online capability from Wii to 3DS was an order of magnitude, but you assume, based on the tone of your post on the subject, that it can't happen again. When all physical evidence proves otherwise.

Are you serious? Hardcore games didn't sell on the Wii, period. In fact nothing much did, but Nintendo games a few faddish titles that unpredictably caught on.

People blame everybody but themselves. If the Wii market is so lucrative, you start a company and go rake in all that cash developing for it and see how far you get.

Are YOU serious? Wii software sales were healthier than they ever had a right to be, considering the overall quality of the library. Just because the good games got lost in the mountain of shit doesn't mean there was no potential there. The market died because people learned (through trial and error) to avoid the shit, and there was nothing of quality left except those Nintendo games.

Nothing bombed on Wii that wouldn't have bombed just as hard or harder elsewhere. In fact, several Wii games and their sequels did bomb harder elsewhere.

Read the price point of the person I quoted. It is like no one pays attention to previous gens or see them through rose colored glasses.

Well, yeah, in that context... Xbox had no ability to ever get there, GameCube got there and it didn't matter, and PS2 didn't really need to get there.

That said, the shift in pricing strategies between last generation and this one is hard to ignore. It seems nobody is really making a move for the mass market with pricing strategy, they prefer to keep the prices stable and increase demand with services and gimmickry. And again, it's not like all 3 haven't been successful, so I guess the old paradigm is a relic of history for the moment.

salpa

Banned
They need to SHOW they can match the features of even the Xbox 1 online.

3DS still uses friend codes. Also if you buy digital games on the 3DS and lose the system you lose all those purchases. They still don't have a basic universal account system.

You don't lose those purchases if you have a Club Nintendo account.

Majora

How is the friend code (notice the singular, cuz there's only one) any different from a gamer tag? Even better, how is it any worse than a phone number? Please explain it to me in detail.

My point was that the jump in online capability from Wii to 3DS was an order of magnitude, but you assume, based on the tone of your post on the subject, that it can't happen again. When all physical evidence proves otherwise.

Whether its better than the Wii or not, it's still light years behind the standard of the 360 and PS3. If Nintendo truly want to capture the core gamer they're going to have to do a hell a lot better than offer the online functionality of the 3DS.

LOCK

*looks at lineup from April*

Well of course sales are down.

The Witcher 2 should have sold a million copies. No excuse for that, but yes software releases in April lacked any multimillion selling brands.

Price drops. Price drops. Price Drops.

Clearly the market is saturated at the current price level, and no amount of bundling will solve this. Of course this is mainly directed at the PS3, and Wii, while the 360 is down it is still a successful month for them, but they should price drop also.

The 3DS and Vita are probably doing ok for their new downsized markets, but they both need marketing pushes, which will probably be revealed at E3.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm sure people are chomping at the bit to play ports of current gen games on new hardware.

I thought that nobody bought Nintendo systems for 3rd-party games? Wouldn't your statement be irrelevant?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think it's quite obvious that the industry needs to lower prices.

legend166

Are you serious? Hardcore games didn't sell on the Wii, period. In fact nothing much did, but Nintendo games a few faddish titles that unpredictably caught on.

People blame everybody but themselves. If the Wii market is so lucrative, you start a company and go rake in all that cash developing for it and see how far you get.

huh

Firstly, point out where I said 'hardcore games' (that is, games with a violent theme appealing to the 16-35 male demographic).

Secondly, what would I blame myself for?

I don't think the Wii market is lucrative. It's 2012. That's the point. It's not lucrative any more because the wider industry made practically zero attempt to sustain it. Now, you might argue that it's not up to them, but I'd say it would have been in their best interest to do so, for the very reason sales are down 30% this month.

Mooreberg

Well, yeah, in that context... Xbox had no ability to ever get there, GameCube got there and it didn't matter, and PS2 didn't really need to get there.
There is also the simple matter that neither the 360 or the PS3 are the PS2. I'm not that surprised when one of the best selling systems ever takes longer to hit its lowest official MSRP.

antonz

The Wii and 3DS numbers must be horrific.

Wii has likely finally reached gamecube level sales at this point of the generation which means 80-100K max. 3DS even if it sill manged decent sales will be kept quiet because its decent sales still look like shit compared to the heydays of the DS

That said, the shift in pricing strategies between last generation and this one is hard to ignore. It seems nobody is really making a move for the mass market with pricing strategy, they prefer to keep the prices stable and increase demand with services and gimmickry. And again, it's not like all 3 haven't been successful, so I guess the old paradigm is a relic of history for the moment.

The reason systems lowered prices last gen was because of competition. Remember at E3 206 when Sony announced the price of the PS3 and a MS rep was quoted as laughing and saying that the 360 got a price drop the second Sony announced? Meaning Sony wasn't any competition at that price so MS kept their price high. Even as the PS3 dropped over the years, it still never was any serious over the years so MS stayed the same. Sony are close to 13 million behind in the US according to NPD numbers.

Had Sony launched with a respectable price they would have kept MS honest and made them compete and they would be battling it out for prices. Now Sony drops in price and still can't outsell MS so why would they drop their price to compete if it wouldn't change anything?

Price drops are only pissing matches between the companies. MS only dropped to $199 to compete with the Wii. Once Sony gets to $199 we will see more aggression towards price drops. Sure, the current gens have had their prices last the longest but we have also see the prices start higher than they have previously.

You don't lose those purchases if you have a Club Nintendo account.

You cannot redownload them to a new system. Something you can easily do in seconds anytime of the day on PSN and XBL.

antonz

The handheld market is NA is on it's way out despite what "hardcore" think/want/pray.

The 3DS is still doing better than the DS did in its timeframe. The real question is does Nintendo have it in them to make the 3DS turn into a phenom that suddenly explodes up the sales chart

Even if Diablo 3 went on to sell 50 million copies in May it wouldnt do anything to reverse industry trends.

50 million x 59.99 = 2,950,000,000

"Total video game sales fell off a cliff, dropping 32 percent to $630.4 million"

In short. I know you were trying to make a point. You are wrong though.

Wii has likely finally reached gamecube level sales at this point of the generation which means 80-100K max. 3DS even if it sill manged decent sales will be kept quiet because its decent sales still look like shit compared to the heydays of the DS

Good, Now maybe they'll revise the hardware and make it look less like crap. :)

Pranay

May Month will be really interesting

1 - Diablo 3
2 - Max Payne 3
3 - Ghost Recon
4 - Dragon Dogma
5 - Starhawk

DR2K

Banned
I'm sure consumers are just waiting for new $400 - $600 consoles. lol This industry is dead.

50 million x 59.99 = 2,950,000,000

"Total video game sales fell off a cliff, dropping 32 percent to $630.4 million"

In short. I know you were trying to make a point. You are wrong though.

What part about industry trend did you not understand?

salpa

Banned
The reason systems lowered prices last gen was because of competition. Remember at E3 206 when Sony announced the price of the PS3 and a MS rep was quoted as laughing and saying that the 360 got a price drop the second Sony announced? Meaning Sony wasn't any competition at that price so MS kept their price high. Even as the PS3 dropped over the years, it still never was any serious over the years so MS stayed the same. Sony are close to 13 million behind in the US according to NPD numbers.

Had Sony launched with a respectable price they would have kept MS honest and made them compete and they would be battling it out for prices. Now Sony drops in price and still can't outsell MS so why would they drop their price to compete if it wouldn't change anything?

Price drops are only pissing matches between the companies. MS only dropped to $199 to compete with the Wii. Once Sony gets to $199 we will see more aggression towards price drops. Sure, the current gens have had their prices last the longest but we have also see the prices start higher than they have previously.

You cannot redownload them to a new system. Something you can easily do in seconds anytime of the day on PSN and XBL.

Do some research before you make shit up.

A quick call to Nintendo lets you redownload them. They even let you sometimes if you do not have an account they can use to verify your purchases.

impact

Banned
The 3DS is still doing better than the DS did in its timeframe. The real question is does Nintendo have it in them to make the 3DS turn into a phenom that suddenly explodes up the sales chart

Yes

Make a model for people with normal sized hands.

DMeisterJ

Banned
God, these sales are depressing. Everything down YoY, Vita getting outsold by KI, Nintendo declining to comment, Sony commenting on absolutely nothing, and the highest selling game selling a paltry number of units.

Wow.

Do some research before you make shit up.

A quick call to Nintendo lets you redownload them. They even let you sometimes if you do not have an account they can use to verify your purchases.

LOL, you have to ask permission... great. And only if you link your account. With XBL and PSN you press one button and it downloads because they have universal accounts and the purchase is tied to your account and not the machine.

I'm sure consumers are just waiting for new $400 - $600 consoles. lol This industry is dead.

What part about industry trend did you not understand?

Then the point itself was beyond stupid. If that was the point.

(And yes the trend line would shift......so I am still right. A 3x normal month would prop up the entire quarter.)

Kid Icarus outselling Vita could be good... if it means that Kid Icarus basically held on from last month :p

But we know 99% that it didn't, so it appears US Vita has joined its Japanese brethren in the cellar.

i wouldn't panic until May NPD. as Anita says, good games are selling as well as ever. there just weren't many good games released this April.

Top Bottom