• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

I think that this conversation is going in circles and always will if we don't specify numbers. How much do you think the Wii U will sell at in one year's time with the current Nintendo strategy and how much do you think would be reasonable for it to sell to label it as satisfying?

I suspect the answer to these two questions, especially the last one, varies wildly depending on who you'll be talking to. When the posters earlier said there is a market for the console, I understood gamecube level sales, not Wii level sales but you seem to be thinking the latter.
When I say there's "no market" for the platform, it's exaggerated sure (there's even a market for Vita, as small as it may be) and what I really mean, but may not have presented fantastically is that Nintendo have seemingly released a product without basic market validation.

There's a gulf of difference between the GameCube and the Wii; while comments don't necessarily imply Wii-like sales (I don't think anyone reasonable expects that now) people's comments do not generally imply they foresee this system selling around GameCube levels, despite that GameCube levels would actually be a substantial improvement.

Looking at past "turnarounds" for systems, I don't think there's one that one can point to where the baseline sales tripled or quadrupled, and that's what the system needs to do to match prior last place systems. I don't think there's one that one can even point to where sales doubled. In terms of what precipitated these turnarounds, the lever was largely price - but the Wii U is not actually particularly expensive. The only example perhaps is the NDS, but that was essentially precipitated by catching lightning-in-a-bottle, and I maintain that to expect such is folly.

I currently see potentially sub-GameCube sales, but for a longer generation, resulting in a GameCube like total. I'm open to being wrong or changing this view when something

Saty

I'm still reeling by the fact that games such TR, Gears, GOW did less than 94k in their second month on the market.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Shame we're not going to get any solid numbers it seems. Guess we'll have to settle with 35-37k for WiiU and a withering glance at sub 20k Vita.

Love all the usual doomsaying simply because Nintendo isn't the golden child anymore. Remember, you can't count Nintendo out, but Sony or Microsoft will never release anything that could possibly become "the next big thing". They're not allowed to.

Other than WiiU, Vita, and 3DS, everything else is bad because this 8 year gen has gone on too long. WiiU as a "new homeconsole" should have changed that but it has literally had no affect.

I mean, it's bad, but in a month where everything else dropped and it had no significant software released it's not super hard to argue it's not as bad as it could have been. Maybe?

The other systems are past their 6th year, let alone their 6th month. Those numbers are awful in a historical context. A console's appeal being that dead in it's 6th month is fucking pathetic.

SmokyDave

I mean, it's bad, but in a month where everything else dropped and it had no significant software released it's not super hard to argue it's not as bad as it could have been. Maybe?
Isn't it the lowest a mainstream console has ever dropped or something?

360 had its worst month ever and sold nearly four times as much. After 7/8 years.

It's not bad. It's much worse than bad.

Margalis

Banned
Did anyone answer my question about which Vita titles are not considered niche?

I'm genuinely curious. As far as I can tell SS is one of the highest profile releases scheduled for this year. If it's niche then what isn't? Just Killzone?

What do you mean by 'not as bad as it could have been'?

By pure metrics, yes, it could have been worse (like 15k).

By consequences, no, it couldn't have been worse. Doing 15k or 37k is irrelevant because both numbers are well below sustainable sales for a console to be a viable platform for both Nintendo or third party publishers.

The other systems are past their 6th year, let alone their 6th month. Those numbers are awful in a historical context. A console's appeal being that dead in it's 6th month is fucking pathetic.

Oh, of course. But Wii U was doing terribad last month, too. It wasn't going to suddenly rise this month.

Everything dropped it seems. Now, if everything goes back up next month and Wii U stays the same, or gets even worse, I'll be more concerned, but a slow month YOY where everything dropped is terrible, but it's not surprising. It'd be more surprising if Wii U held, or even grew, this month

EDIT: To be clear, my original post was trying to clarify someone else's argument, which is always fraught with danger, I do believe the Wii U needs a serious kick in the arse.

Looking more closely at March->April numbers for 2012, the only one that's fallen more than normal is actually the 360.

The PS3's weekly average fell 36%, the Wii's 35%.

If as posted above Easter really does have some sort of 10% effect on April, that was instead shifted to March, then the March->April drop is actually perfectly "normal."

SmokyDave

Did anyone answer my question about which Vita titles are not considered niche?

I'm genuinely curious. As far as I can tell SS is one of the highest profile releases scheduled for this year. If it's niche then what isn't? Just Killzone?
How on earth do you get an objective classification for niche?

Lookin forward, there's only really FIFA and possibly Killzone that I'd say are definitively 'mass-market'.

wsippel

Banned
I generally do not 'take sides' because I'm not "only a gaming fan," but very much invested in the industry as a whole. I want everyone to be successful, wherever it's warranted. So in that sense,I admit I've been a bit of a Nintendo apologist for awhile. But now, daaaaaaamn, I'm about to give up. I've been laughed at for awhile but even I can see the writing on the wall. There be trouble. Your biggest third party release can barely do 20k? I'm worried! Cmon guys!!
Assuming you're talking about MH3U, didn't that reportedly sell more digitally than at retail? Or was that only in Europe? Not that 40-50k or something would be amazing in any shape or form...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Monster Hunter is niche, so a new IP Monster Hunter-alike from essentially an entirely new studio that is released without any western marketing campaign whatsoever and is ultra gore adult focussed concepts is niche. Yes. I mean its not even up for debate.

Killzone and Tearaway are the "non niche" stuff Sony will actually bother promoting, probably to little effect.

AniHawk

Vita and Wii U are done.
I mean, 20k for Vita? PSP was selling better in the last years.

i was hesitant to call the vita dead, and... i still kinda am. i think that sony might try to position it with the ps4 somehow. if we're in march next year, and sales forecasts were missed, and vita forecasts are lower than this year, it's done. they launched it at a weird time, so i think that's really working against it considering what they wanted it to do. one more year before we can call it- i think that's fair.

the wii u may as well not have launched at this point. nintendo themselves have only released an os patch since launch. they were aware something was seriously amiss sometime last december, most likely, and adjusted their strategy in preparation for a torrible (© 2013 y2kev) 2013. i think we'll have a better picture by the end of the year, and really know where things are once we're in early 2015.

JaxJag

Banned
I'm still reeling by the fact that games such TR, Gears, GOW did less than 94k in their second month on the market.

Gears completely alienated it's fanbase with it's abomination called multiplayer.

In the 4th installment of Gears they tried to appeal to the Call of Duty crowd. All that happened is they lost almost their entire Gears audience, and no one else tried this iteration of Gears of War because they thought it was just another Gears of War game.

Vita will post awfull numbers like this till September - after that it should find it's place as niche device occupying part of PS4 shelves as accesorry in shops (together with price drop, hopefully cheaper memory and some game releases)

Wii U seems to be dead - it will get some sort of short term boost after big Nintendo hitters are released but like 3DS it won't be lasting effect since it will affect mostly a still undecided part of Nintendo faithfull.

3DS pricedrop honeymoon is over - we will see if they drop prices alongside Pokemon release to reivigorate sales or if they keep prices to improve profits.

Monster Hunter is niche, so a new IP Monster Hunter-alike from essentially an entirely new studio that is released without any western marketing campaign whatsoever and is ultra gore adult focussed concepts is niche. Yes. I mean its not even up for debate.

Killzone and Tearaway are the "non niche" stuff Sony will actually bother promoting, probably to little effect.

MH is not exactly niche in the West, anyway. Tri sold more than 800k units; 3 Ultimate sold around 140k at launch on 3DS and Wii in North America alone.

Prine

Banned
The Wii U is what happens when you produce a 360 near-equivalent in 2012 and try to sell it at a premium because of a controller nobody cares about.

Spot on. Over engineered controller that fails to deliver an experience for it to stand on its own, unlike the Wii

test_account

XP-39C²
Did the 3DS sell less than the Xbox 360? I see that Creamsugar said " 3DS > PS3", but what about Xbox 360? And the Nintendo PR didnt say anything about being the best selling system for the month either.

Pie and Beans

Did the 3DS sell less than the Xbox 360? I see that Creamsugar said " 3DS > PS3", but what about Xbox 360? And the Nintendo PR didnt say anything about being the best selling system for the month either.

His original post was 3DS < X360.

Saty

Shipped over 3.5 million

TR hasn't broke a million in US in its first 2 months. It's probably not even close to 1M in the UK as well. For TR to have actually sold anything near that 3.5m shipped it would have needed a miracle in all the other territories and PC retail. (the shipped figure doesn't include DD).

TR hasn't broke a million in US in its first 2 months. It's probably not even close to 1M in the UK as well. For TR to have actually sold anything near that 3.5m shipped it would have needed a miracle in all the other territories and PC retail. (the shipped figure doesn't include DD).

UK is the biggest market in eu but it's not the majority, "all the other territories" make up a market as big as the US.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, yeah! I forgot about that one.

Maybe Epic Mickey 2, only that ain't going to sell very well at all, I suspect.

...Epic Mickey 2?!? Jak and the (supposed) Sly Collection have far better chanches of selling compared to the late Epic Mickey 2 port XD

SmokyDave

...Epic Mickey 2?!? Jak and the (supposed) Sly Collection have far better chanches of selling compared to the late Epic Mickey 2 port XD
Yeah, but the point was that Epic Mickey 2 probably isn't classed as 'niche', given that its a Disney licensed platformer (I think it's a platformer anyway).

Mikey Jr.

i was hesitant to call the vita dead, and... i still kinda am. i think that sony might try to position it with the ps4 somehow. if we're in march next year, and sales forecasts were missed, and vita forecasts are lower than this year, it's done. they launched it at a weird time, so i think that's really working against it considering what they wanted it to do. one more year before we can call it- i think that's fair.

the wii u may as well not have launched at this point. nintendo themselves have only released an os patch since launch. they were aware something was seriously amiss sometime last december, most likely, and adjusted their strategy in preparation for a torrible (© 2013 y2kev) 2013. i think we'll have a better picture by the end of the year, and really know where things are once we're in early 2015.

If the vita works flawlessly (and I do mean fucking flawlessly) as a remote play device, where I can play PS4 games in my backyard, crapper, garage, etc., then I will buy a Vita.

So yeah, I'm waiting till the PS4 launch until I even consider a Vita.

Wii U can at least make some software sales money from the few people buying it for first party games. Nintendo has probably already made a but load from NSMBU. Vita is going to end up being sold as a PS4 accessory on Sony.com

StevieP

Banned
If the vita works flawlessly (and I do mean fucking flawlessly) as a remote play device, where I can play PS4 games in my backyard, crapper, garage, etc., then I will buy a Vita.

So yeah, I'm waiting till the PS4 launch until I even consider a Vita.

If you're expecting it to work like a Wii U Gamepad I'd temper your expectations (solely based on the inherent latency over remote TCP/IP connections). It will work, but likely similar to the way OnLive worked if you could tolerate that. With that said, the immense benefit to that added input delay is that you don't have to limit yourself to the crapper, garage, etc as with the Wii U Gamepad, as it will work anywhere with a network. I would suspect that it would be behind some kind of paywall, however, as with any of the other Gakai services.

Vita and Wii U under 50k sales a month? That's bad. Even the "best selling" 360 had a weak month at 130k. When the PS4 and 720 launch we'll have to see if the lack of interest in consoles now is just due to what's being offered or if it's more of a general drop in demand for videogames in general. That would cripple the industry if that is the case.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So wait, were you referring to MH3U or injustice?

I guess it could be both

His pattern would most likely point to Injustice, since it would be one of the game main games Warner and other third parties would be using to gauge if they should release Wii U versions of their multiplatform games.

Top Bottom