• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Millennials really the next "Great Generation"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Millennials will leave a legacy of putting trigger warnings on every potentially offensive piece of literature among other things. hashtag activism is blowing up because we can finally convince ourselves we are making an impactful difference between games of candy crush on our iPhones. Modern day altruism.

Did you even read the inforgraphic that shows that Millennials have the highest amount of wageless volunteering since the previous Great Generation that survived the Great Depression?

Katori

Yeah, I think the entitlement stuff is bogus, and this is coming from a millennial who didn't go to college, worked his ass off in poverty and is now solidly middle class.

I was lucky to be able to reject the idea of college. If I hadn't, I'd have $50,000 in student loans to pay back in addition to the credit card debt I had to accrue to survive. I'd have to make over $100k just to make ends meet much less be satisfied. My peers weren't so lucky. Their parents promised that the "way things always worked" was you went to college then you got a good job (it wasn't, it only worked that way for them and maybe their parents). Even when all signs pointed to college being a waste and the jobs market tanking, most people I know were still coerced to go.

What blows my mind is all the instant gratification a whole generation will only know. From movies to tv to books to IMs and email.

I find it sad that like kids today will never know the joy of Saturday morning cartoons.

I asked my young nephew how he spent his Saturday mornings and he said he sleeps then get you and watches youtube and cruises the net.
This is pure nostalgia. Any given person would do the same. I for one enjoy the on demand present.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Did you even read the inforgraphic that shows that Millennials have the highest amount of wageless volunteering since the previous Great Generation that survived the Great Depression?
Might as well volunteer if you don't have a job.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sometimes the best of us come out of the worst of circumstances.

Its possible that older Millennials will learn from the Great Recession and actually start to fix things. Given that we are open to change of all types, non-religious and community driven the opportunity for real world change is there, no matter how much we use hashtags or take selfies. Those personal negatives don't overshadow some of our community positives.
That's a very pleasant way of describing the willingness to say "FUCK YOUR BROKEN SHIT THAT IS BROKEN" when absolutely every single methodology, mindset, and apparent solution handed to you not only fails, but is completely ignorant to the most blatant realities before you. I do hope that as more of this generation comes of age and realizes that current systems will just leave them utterly fucked with nothing in the second half of their lives, that we actually just up and completely reformat this country. Fuck every broken idea given to us by older generations. They made this mess and it is their fault that it is being held onto.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Good.

--

My brother is a millennial. He doesn't have the entitlement attitude but he does have the work to live, which I think is amazing. He doesn't care that he hasn't have much of a career, but he does work for a large hardware-type store and is moving up in the ranks. I'm very proud of him for that.

He then turns around and uses all of his money to fund his Ghostbusters Youtube channel. :| I'm not entirely sure what I think of that part. I'm happy he's passionate about something though.

I'm not sure why being intolerant of religion, something that is destroying the world little by little, and intolerant of extremist assholes killing people for religion makes us more likely to have a ww3?

In my opinion wack job Christians and Muslims wanting another holy war are more likely to do that than the people who just want them to STFU and stop shaking the boat.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Gen X here.

My personal experiences with millennials have been mostly positive. They seem like the most polite, sensitive and well adjusted (especially for their age) of all the generations. Its taken too far by the social justice warriors but what are you gonna do?

The boomers on the other hand are the absolute worst. They define entitlement and their self-absorption goes far beyond simply taking selfies. They can drive their cross overs up each other's asses.

BocoDragon

I'm not sure why being intolerant of religion, something that is destroying the world little by little, and intolerant of extremist assholes killing people for religion makes us more likely to have a ww3?

In my opinion wack job Christian's and Muslims wanting another holy war are more likely to do that than the people who just want them to STFU and stop shaking the boat.
He thinks the criticism of his religion amounts to a form of wrongheaded intolerance that heralds the coming of future persecutions and warfare.

It's actually that we're in a free society with actual tolerance that we can glibly say "hey you're in a scam cult" with no guilt, because it doesn't imply we don't like you or want to persecute you.

Dicktatorship

For those that don't know Millennials are anyone born between the early 1980s and late 1990s.

Initially millennials were viewed (much like generation x) in a very negative light by older generations. But, as we have aged, Millennials have begun to be regarded as possibly the next "Great Generation" by some researchers.

Generations are generally defined by common traits both positive and negative. Millennials fall into the following:

Positive:
Exponentially less religious
Idealists that want to change the world
Logically more open to change
More likely chase their passions
Believe that work should align with their life and not be a detriment to it
Risk takers
Most Diverse generation (currently)
Value community, family and creativity over work
More educated
more open to social reform

Negative:
Entitlement complex
Narcissists (rise of facebook and selfies)
Techno-dependent
Expect to be paid higher wages (raises) just for working (not for doing better work, linked with entitlement).
Massively in debt (mostly due to prior generations kicking the can down the road so to speak but some is due to a general misunderstanding of finances which has come about due to how terribly our schools teach or don't teach finance ).

Of coarse Millennials also think IGen or Generation I (current generation) to be complete wastes of life but maybe they will actually be the next "Greatest Generation" and Millennials will be another "Silent Generation". It is thought that generations are cyclic in nature after all.

What say you GAF?

edit: meant to add this to the op.
Millenial_myth_infographic.jpg

I don't see why being less religious is a positive.

Nafai1123

Banned
With any luck this generation will push our country towards a paradigm shift in political rhetoric based on religious ideals and will end the war on drugs.

...if we can stop watching cat videos that is.

Steamlord

I don't see a point in these generational distinctions. It's about as broad a generalization as you can possibly make and the cutoffs are entirely arbitrary.

oneils

How many Millenials were killed or maimed in Iraq and Afghanistan? Probably a lot. So I think they have that going for them (I get that some disagree with the wars).

These millenials were volunteers too, no draft required.

Technology is changing.
people who don't understand the tech, for some reason, get to criticise the generation that does.

Being human has a history of association with horrible acts.

Religion amplifies this. Religion often relies on a system of referring to old works for ethical and moral guidance, and because they are so powerful, we have all too much influence coming from many years ago on this today.

Not all aspects of religion are bad, but they have done enough bad that it should be pointed out. Yeah, humans do bad shit, but it's amplified by having a religious conviction behind it.

I'm glad someone's smart enough to write off thousands of years of progress with one sentence. And here I was thinking humanity was doomed!

People explained why it's positive that religion is becoming less influential as time goes on. Religion often relies on archaic ideas, and as has been shown, religious convictions often lead to it being forced on others. Our society for instance has used religion to justify some pretty shitty stuff.

And in general, being less religious doesn't mean that you are necessarily without faith, or without having an idea of there being a higher power.

goldenpp72

How many Millenials were killed or maimed in Iraq and Afghanistan? Probably a lot. So I think they have that going for them (I get that some disagree with the wars).

These millenials were volunteers too, no draft required.

Technology is changing.
people who don't understand the tech, for some reason, get to criticise the generation that does.

I fully understand technology and use most current day tech, but I do take issue with the way it gets utilized with a lot of people. Having to hashtag everything or take a picture/status update of every interesting or mundane aspect of your life in order to gain social credibility is a serious issue for example. Selfie generation and so forth, really annoying overall.

Of course we've always been insecure and in need of being accepted as a species, but modern technology has made that come into the front in a much more annoying way than before. Though that isn't really what the topic is about, but I do think there is such a thing as a fair critique of younger generations, and not just the 'back in my day I had to turn a dial and wait 11 times to call a number, kids these days' sort of thing. Superior technology is great, but it is often used in pretty awful ways that just make us all look like shit.

BocoDragon

I'm glad someone's smart enough to write off thousands of years of progress with one sentence. And here I was thinking humanity was doomed!
Sticking to religion is the antithesis of progress. It is to be stuck constantly parroting the assertions of con men from very flawed old societies.

Coming out swinging is one reaction to it, but another common reaction is staying at home with mom and dad, staying in school longer than needed, and just in general being sluggish about career ambition because the jobs are just not there.

I think it really put the brakes on this generation more than set a fire under their ass. I applaud your reaction to it, though.

I was terrified of spending the rest of my life working a minimum wage job in retail. I also knew no one was coming to help me get out of the situation I was in and nor were there going to be opportunities coming my way. So I would have to help myself by creating my own opportunities.

In my mind there was simply no other option.

BocoDragon

I was terrified of spending the rest of my life working a minimum wage job in retail. I also knew no one was coming to help me get out of the situation I was in and nor were there going to be opportunities coming my way. So I would have to help myself by creating my own opportunities.

In my mind there was simply no other option.
It sounds like you heard the game of musical chairs coming and got moving to grab a seat.

But obviously, there were many losers in that game.

It's a transition generation, we're pretty much just growing pains for the next one, the most we can claim is we tried to start a conversation on ending capitalism. The rest is just attention grabbing
Freedom from the remnants of old patriarchal, tribalist, superstitious cults is a wonderful thing.

Society itself is a tribalistic cult, if you want to just throw generalizations around.

Foffy

Banned
I think a generation that is more closer to reality by seeing a more unified world has great potential, and the Millennial generation is probably the first to have the level of exposure that it has.

With that said, that generation is perhaps inheriting one of the worst climates in human history, with systemic destruction of the earth and corrosion in many social systems, particularly in America. All of the potential of this generation may be wasted fixing the mistakes of the last one.

Dicktatorship

People explained why it's positive that religion is becoming less influential as time goes on. Religion often relies on archaic ideas, and as has been shown, religious convictions often lead to it being forced on others. Our society for instance has used religion to justify some pretty shitty stuff.

And in general, being less religious doesn't mean that you are necessarily without faith, or without having an idea of there being a higher power.

While I disagree,I also don't think either of us are going to convince anybody so I'm fine with dropping it. There's already hundreds of years of discourse on the subject without my 2 cents.

Anyway, here's to millennials

giphy.gif

pls don't fuck it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom