• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Square delivering a message for Dragon Quest XI ?...

watershed

Banned
if Nintendo is smart they could strike back soon by localizing DQX to the west and pay the server bills

it would help S-E and help us non-japanese speakers

You mean if Nintendo wants to lose a ton of money for no reason right?

If DQXI is for the 3ds, it is most likely already in development. If Nintendo localized DQX they would only show SE how badly DQX would sell in the west.

Chindogg

If DQXI is for the 3ds, it is most likely already in development. If Nintendo localized DQX they would only show SE how badly DQX would sell in the west.

What Nintendo should flip the bill for is localizing DQ7. Maybe even fund DQ11 to keep it on their consoles.

They do not want to give Sony any leverage to take the one territory they're winning in (even if its a nearly dead territory.)

losing money is something they do a lot of, so this is not changing anything
it helps them keep a strong Japanese IP from jumping ship yet again

3DS is not a guarantee we don't really know that for sure

My takeaway is that they don't know what they want to do next so they're putting out games for a bunch of platforms and seeing what does best. But yes this game seems to have a decent budget backing it so it can't be dismissed as nothing.

hongcha

The silver dq ps4 is more suggestive than the dq heroes game. I don't know why they would bother with that unless something bigger was coming further down the line.

Also, the ps4 says dragon quest, not dragon quest heroes.

watershed

Banned
losing money is something they do a lot of, so this is not changing anything
it helps them keep a strong Japanese IP from jumping ship yet again

3DS is not a guarantee we don't really know that for sure
DQX wouldn't sell well in the west. And the Wii U install base is way to small to generate the kind of monthly subscription income SE would want. All localizing DQX would do is make SE think that DQ games don't sell well on Nintendo home consoles.

And I didn't say that DQXI is a lock for the 3ds. But if DQXI is going to be for the 3ds, it is most likely already in development so Nintendo wouldn't have to do anything to secure that support.

Anyways DQX isn't getting localized. It's not worth it for anyone to do.

The userbase os too important for a DQ game to sell well, a 3DS mothership title is a lock.
Musou games performs best of Playstation, no matter what.

3DS is on it's way out, it peaked 2 years ago, a new DQ will not come out within the next 2 years atleast, by then the 3DS will likely have a successor and PS4 will be enjoying it's best years sales wise.

I think it was also significant that they had Horii on stage. So it wasn't simply them announcing a DQ. They had the creator there as well.

3DS is on it's way out, it peaked 2 years ago, a new DQ will not come out within the next 2 years atleast, by then the 3DS will likely have a successor and PS4 will be enjoying it's best years sales wise.

Why do you think DQXI is going to take two more years before it comes out?

DQX wouldn't sell well in the west. And the Wii U install base is way to small to generate the kind of monthly subscription income SE would want. All localizing DQX would do is make SE think that DQ games don't sell well on Nintendo home consoles.

And I didn't say that DQXI is a lock for the 3ds. But if DQXI is going to be for the 3ds, it is most likely already in development so Nintendo wouldn't have to do anything to secure that support.

Anyways DQX isn't getting localized. It's not worth it for anyone to do.

well I don't honestly believe this move to Playstation by this IP has little to do with how DQX mmo experiment went in general

S-E seems just about ready to drag this IP to the Final Fantasy hell they created so far
I love DQ and wish them luck with it... can't really see this as a win for 3DS though if anything everything Horii has said about big screen followed by this screams at least a PS3 - PS4 combo for the next DQ

it is not going to be another mmo experiment it might work out just fine

Tenki

Any year of the 3DS successor will probably be better than any year of PS4.

Heck, a good year of a 3DS successor will probably be better than all PS4 years combined in Japan.

A Collector PS4 Dragon Quest Edition + Dragon Quest Heroes on both PS3 and PS4...

If These 2 things are selling well, is it even possible to not see Dragon Quest XI on PS4 ( or/and PS3 as well ) ?

What is your opinion ?

I think it's possible, the creators have already hinted that the main game may be coming back to console, if so this feels like their Type-0 move, to start building the base.

120v

i think DQXI PS3 is a safe bet.

so is 3DS, but it's been a decade since the last home console DQ...

watershed

Banned
well I don't honestly believe this move to Playstation by this IP has little to do with how DQX mmo experiment went in general

S-E seems just about ready to drag this IP to the Final Fantasy hell they created so far
I love DQ and wish them luck with it... can't really see this as a win for 3DS though if anything everything Horii has said about big screen followed by this screams at least a PS3 - PS4 combo for the next DQ

it is not going to be another mmo experiment it might work out just fine
I'm not sure which would be a better move by SE: making DQXI for the 3ds or making DQXI cross gen for the PS3 & PS4. But I think these are the two most likely options. Ain't nothing coming to the Wii U or mobile.

extralite

They're testing the waters. At the moment neither Wii U or PS4 are doing numbers that would encourage putting DQXI on either one but the PS4 definitely has the potential to do a lot better than it is now. Keeping DQ away from the platform would waste that potential.

I'd say the message for now is, you want DQ games on Sony platforms? Here is one, buy it and you'll get more. But the question is, more of what? PSP got many action-RPG FFs but no new mainline or traditional ATB ones. So maybe PS3/4 will get only action oriented DQ games.

On the other hand, both FF and DQ have made attempts to move the series towards the action side of the RPG genre. DQIX was supposed to be one originally and DQX, although still turn based real time like ATB is a lot closer to that genre now too (before it wasn't even real time and you couldn't freely move around during battles).

So if this action DQ does well it could become a bridge to an action DQXI like FFXV is for its own series. It would also be a new angle of attempting to appeal to the West. A third shot for making it big outside Japan.

There definitely is a perspective for DQXI on PS4 now.

New 3DS announcement makes a lot more sense now too. Nintendo needs to counter PS4 hype (even if it may be still small) and needs to counter it hard. Also in the West, as a platform to represent Japanese games over here (obviously the PS4 hype greatly eclipses the one for 3DS but not yet for Japanese games).

bon

I doubt DQ11 is being developed for a brand new system that's selling poorly in Japan, at least not exclusively. I'm thinking either 3DS or cross-gen on several platforms.

He's always at events for new DQ games, even if they're spinoffs.

So his appearance isn't really a big deal? Still I hope that this is a sign that they're going to move DQ back to consoles. PS3 seems like an obvious choice if that's going to happen.

zeromcd73

So his appearance isn't really a big deal? Still I hope that this is a sign that they're going to move DQ back to consoles. PS3 seems like an obvious choice if that's going to happen.
It really isn't.

There was an event back when MH was on PSP and the producers at Capcom were shaking hands with Kaz Hirai. Two weeks later MH3G and MH4 is 3DS exclusive and both of them are next to Iwata >.>

They're testing the waters to see if DQ still has a fanbase on PS.

If these sell well, yeah, DQXI is gonna be on the PS4.

Yup. That's exactly what it is.

IIRC, when Dragon Quest jumped to the DS, there were several spin-off games made for it first before DQIX released (Dragon Quest Monsters I think?). Same with the Wii: spin-offs were made for it before DQX was released on it.

Now it looks like possible platforms for DQXI are 3DS and PS4. Both have DQ spinoffs on it / coming.

As for cross-gen, if DQXI is really on the PS4, I don't expect to see it for at least 3-4 years, and by then it would make little sense to put it on the PS3 also.

extralite

Damn, I didn't know the PS3 only has 1 million seller in Japan. Maybe the 3ds is the best platform for DQXI after all.

For selling the usual numbers? Obviously, but Horii does seem to favor making a game that will do justice to the big screen.

I'd say Wii U followed by a 3DS successor version (which I'd assume to be a portable Wii U) is still Nintendo's best bet for holding on to exclusivity for the mainline series. Unless DQ is both horribly received on PS4, and Wii U too doesn't get any traction, i.e. home console market as a whole tanking terribly in which case they would probably fall back on 3DS. No idea how that works with what they might already have developed so far.

Wii U/PS3/PS4 multiplat might also be a possibility, if both turn out to be healthy.

Tratorn

I really hope so, but after this lame spin of bombed, they'll probably cancel all plans for more DQ games on PS platforms. :/

duckroll

Let's not jump to conclusions. The only message they're delivering is that DQ is truly a third party IP and that they can put it on any platform they want - they just look for the best one to put each title on.

Alrus

Whatever happens, DQ XI isn't going to be PS4 exclusive. The userbase in Japan isn't there to support the amount of sale Squeenix expects.

Takao

Banned
Today's announcement does make me wonder if Nintendo paid some "no-Sony" money for DQX. You'd think Square would want that on everything they could get it on.

extralite

Let's not jump to conclusions. The only message they're delivering is that DQ is truly a third party IP and that they can put it on any platform they want - they just look for the best one to put each title on.

Yes and that is why it is important that we consider the genre of the announced game. It might just be a title to represent the action side of the DQ franchise (which so far hardly existed). This way they could also help their other franchise FF which is betting on action this time with XV (a first for a mainline game), but without putting the actual mainline DQ game on PS3/4.

Question is, will DQ move more towards action and will that really be beneficial? In Japan, in the West?

duckroll

Today's announcement does make me wonder if Nintendo paid some "no-Sony" money for DQX. You'd think Square would want that on everything they could get it on.

I think it's more likely that they don't feel it is worthwhile at this point to support additional platforms if it's not going to be released outside of Japan. What's the point? The platforms they add for Japan all seem to be ones targeting less traditional MMO audiences, so it could also be an attempt not to compete with FFXIV directly.

I'm always ready for another console DQ game, but this just shows DQ can go anywhere.

I'm personally hoping for a 3DS release/PS3/PS4 port like Level 5 did with NiNoKuNi...

Darius

Banned
It is a typical OmegaForce(KOEITecmo) collaboration and a Musou game, similar deals have been made with Gundam and OnePiece which were published by BandaiNamco. Also the PS4 game is likely just a PS3 port. If it were a PS4 exclusive it would have had some stronger implications but it seems to be obvious that the initial idea was to take advantage of the Musou fanbase on PS3 (One Piece Musou for example is one of the best selling titles on PS3 in Japan) and the PS4 version is simply due to Sonys push for cross gen titles be it PSV-PS4 or PS3-PS4. The special edition console is just that, a special edition like the "Frozen" PS4.

watershed

Banned
Yes and that is why it is important that we consider the genre of the announced game. It might just be a title to represent the action side of the DQ franchise (which so far hardly existed). This way they could also help their other franchise FF which is betting on action this time with XV (a first for a mainline game), but without putting the actual mainline DQ game on PS3/4.

Question is, will moving DQ more towards action and will that really be beneficial? In Japan, in the West?
Hasn't Horii wanted the DQ games to be more action like since DQIX? Iirc the first trailer showed a very different game that featured multiplayer real time combat or something close. But he changed his mind and went back to turn based.

I don't know how much it would help the franchise to be more action rpg like. I think there is clearly an audience for traditional turn based jrpgs both inside inside and outside of Japan.

extralite

Hasn't Horii wanted the DQ games to be more action like since DQIX? Iirc the first trailer showed a very different game that featured multiplayer real time combat or something close. But he changed his mind and went back to turn based.

I don't know how much it would help the franchise to be more action rpg like. I think there is clearly an audience for traditional turn based jrpgs both inside inside and outside of Japan.

DQX is a good compromise because it still isn't an action RPG but does offer similar features as that genre. Again, the question is will they stay where they are now, go back to an earlier battle system or move towards action more?

DQH wouldn't be an indication of DQ going to Sony unless they plan to keep using the action angle somewhat. Whatever DQ games might follow up Heroes will also be important to see where the franchise's support for Sony platforms is headed.

Darius

Banned
What Nintendo should flip the bill for is localizing DQ7. Maybe even fund DQ11 to keep it on their consoles.

They do not want to give Sony any leverage to take the one territory they're winning in (even if its a nearly dead territory.)

I don´t think that´s the case. Sure systems with a scarce selection of appealing games perform worse but that´s more due to support rather than the "market" beeing dead. While 3DS isn´t breaking any records (NDS) it is still easily outselling the former best selling system (PS2) in Japan.

1st year
PS2 - no data
3DS - 4,282,142

2nd year
PS2 - 3.407.781
3DS - 5,497,737

3rd year
PS2 - 3.240.045
3DS - 4,882,040

4th year
PS2 - 2,898,774
3DS - this year

5th year
PS2 - 1.968.846

6th year
PS2 - 1.450.237

KiTA

Well, look. Horii has said several times that he a) has heard fans saying they want another game like DQ8, and b) would like to play the next game on big screens. But I don't think this particular announcement means anything, either way. I would expect the game to be multiplatform in some way, though, based on past comments from Yuu Miyake.

What I think it boils down to is this.

The PS4 had an absolutely disastrous start in Japan. All excuses aside, if I was a shareholder in Sony I would have been extremely worried. Will it pick up after this showing? Absolutely.

But DQ11 has already been in development for a while. And Horii has always been adamant that he puts DQ games on the most popular console of the era, to maximize the number of potential players.

Could the PS4's horrific launch have "disqualified" it for DQ11 early on in it's development, and thus left it defaulting to the WiiU (or 3DS)? That's the thousand GP question at this point. As such, we just don't know how long DQ11 has been in development to really make any judgement calls. I would be surprised if it was PS3, for example.

(Although the rash of PS3/PS4 games, including DQH, surprised me. It goes to show just how scared the developers in Japan are of the PS4 not pulling out of this mess.)

Top Bottom