• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Square delivering a message for Dragon Quest XI ?...

duckroll

But DQ11 has already been in development for a while. And Horii has always been adamant that he puts DQ games on the most popular console of the era, to maximize the number of potential players.

He did in the past, yes, but it's worth noting that S-E (and DQ) has been increasingly moving into a multiplatform strategy. It's no longer about just one console per game. Times are changing.

The only reason for those special editions is that DQ is super hot in Japan, almost every DQ game there is a multi million seller.
Dragon Quest Heroes and the DQ themed PS4 are supposed to move PS4 units in japan, where it currently sells waaaaaaay worse than the WiiU does.

My guess is that mainline DQ games may still be exclusive to Nintendo (disregarding DQX there, obviously).

I'm actually surprised they didn't port DQX on PS3 (or 4), with it being on PC and mobile.

Still, AFAIK this is the first DQ related game on a Playstation platform since 2006 (that Yangus mysterious dungeon game on PS2 and Itadaki Street on PSP) so it's fairly notable in and of itself.

pixlexic

Banned
Ps4 or even wiI u would be the best case sinario but I wouldn't rule out the 3ds or mobile even.

They always said dq will be on the best selling platform. ( in Japan ) that doesn't mean consoles specifically.

Jigorath

Banned
The only reason for those special editions is that DQ is super hot in Japan, almost every DQ game there is a multi million seller.
Dragon Quest Heroes and the DQ themed PS4 are supposed to move PS4 units in japan, where it currently sells waaaaaaay worse than the WiiU does.

My guess is that mainline DQ games may still be exclusive to Nintendo (disregarding DQX there, obviously).

That's an over-exaggeration. The WiiU baseline is only a couple thousand units ahead of the PS4, and it just released Hyrule Warriors.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's an over-exaggeration. The WiiU baseline is only a couple thousand units ahead of the PS4, and it just released Hyrule Warriors.
It still sells 2x as much as the PS4 even if numbers in general are low.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I wager it might end up being a New 3DS game.
No really big 3rd Party IP (million seller) will be new 3DS exclusive, but they might benefit from the extra horse power.

I am still expecting a Nino Kuni like release.

LZVgeAQ.jpg

Oh man I so want this.

HeelPower

Its a good sign.Actually its a great sign.

Maybe Dragon Quest will finally return to consoles.At least for one more AAA mainline game.

Hiko

Banned
I guess DQXI is a lock for ps4 at this point...

I don't think I could have imagined that just a couple of years ago.

RPGamer92

Banned
For all the people saying PS4 wouldn't be able to support sales, wouldn't simply announcing XI for it and having it be exclusive be enough for a huge splurge of sales in Japan?

Hiko

Banned
It really isn't but we did need something to balance the last few years of "Nintendo exclusivity"
With SE confirming it is being made for consoles, I really can't see how it won't involve the ps4.

Especially in light of this new DQ game, and with the Wii U tanking worldwide.

Atram

For all the people saying PS4 wouldn't be able to support sales, wouldn't simply announcing XI for it and having it be exclusive be enough for a huge splurge of sales in Japan?

no not nearly, there is a reason why DQ Main normaly releases late in one Generation.

RyoonZ

Banned
I just hope it's not Nintendo exclusive.
Even if it doesn't come out in west at least I don't need to buy a goddamn JP console just to play 1 game.

The message was sent months ago when Horii said he wants to release the game in 2016 and play it on a big screen.

What system fits his needs? Only PS4.

AniHawk

No. Because 3DS isn't a console.

there are two definitions of console. one is referring to console as the home box (which is the definition i subscribe to), and the other refers to any sort of dedicated gaming machine (which i simply call system).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740869

“Smartphones are smartphones, and they’re not game consoles,” states Horii in response to Andou. “I don’t think they’ll be replacing game consoles, but rather, I believe it’s a matter of offering something to those who only have smartphones.”

that's the original translated quote. if someone had access to the actual source, we might get a better glance at this. but given what the japanese market and given the context of the sentiment (smartphones vs. ______), i think he meant dedicated gaming machine.

edit: i forgot about the big screen quote. that would indicate the first definition. in that case this dqh game would probably be prep work for getting people invested in the ps4. or at least ps3/ps4.

The message was sent months ago when Horii said he wants to release the game in 2016 and play it on a big screen.

What system fits his needs? Only PS4.

it could also be wii u and xbox one. it could be ps4/xbox one/wii u. it could be ps4/wii u or ps4/xbox one. it could even be wii u/xbox one.

sublimit

Banned
If DQXI will be on a Sony platform i think it will be PS4 only (and XB1) especially if it comes out after FFXV.

Tabata said SE wants to help the install base for PS4/XB1 to get bigger so i doubt they will continue supporting previous gen consoles.

Kyoufu

I can see DQXI being on 3DS/PS3/PS4/Wii U if they really wanted to go the multiplatform route.

I just don't see it skipping the biggest install base in Japan (3DS). Shareholders would not be happy about that. Anything can happen, so we'll see.

If DQXI will be on a Sony platform i think it will be PS4 only (and XB1) especially if it comes out after FFXV.

Tabata said SE wants to help the install base for PS4/XB1 to get bigger so i doubt they will continue supporting previous gen consoles.

That's not going to happen if they plan to release it in 2016 unless the PS4 somehow gets out of its slump and sells faster than the PS3 did.

Hiko

Banned
there are two definitions of console. one is referring to console as the home box (which is the definition i subscribe to), and the other refers to any sort of dedicated gaming machine (which i simply call system).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740869

Thanks for the clarification...

You knew exactly what was meant by the word console in the context of this discussion so why not respond like a normal person instead of posting something meaningless that adds nothing.

it could also be wii u and xbox one. it could be ps4/xbox one/wii u. it could be ps4/wii u or ps4/xbox one. it could even be wii u/xbox one.

Yes, and do you see how most of those possibilities involve the ps4?

That's not going to happen if they plan to release it in 2016 unless the PS4 somehow gets out of its slump and sells faster than the PS3 did.
FFXV is not on last gen. KH3 is not on last gen. Don't see why DQXI has to be any different.

And let's be honest here. The ps3 is already winding down. With the schedule SE works on, the ps3 will be beyond dead by the time DQXI releases, and the ps4 will be at the end of it's life while we're all talking about ps5 and xbox two.

sublimit

Banned

If DQXI comes out after FFXV (theoretically in 2016) the later would have already helped expant the PS4 install base significantly and even if not the DQ name is enough to make the Japanese purchase a PS4 in order to play it.

By that time SE will not be willing to continue developing for PS3 since FFXV will be PS4/XB1 only.

AniHawk

Thanks for the clarification...

You knew exactly what was meant by the word console in the context of this discussion so why not respond like a normal person instead of posting something meaningless that adds nothing.

actually i was honestly asking around. only when i saw someone talk about the big screen comment that i edited my post and even put 'edit' there to indicate it wasn't part of the original thought.

and i will never respond like a normal person. that is why i am so popular and that is how the voices can stop for just five fucking minutes.

Yes, and do you see how most of those possibilities involve the ps4?

that wasn't what i was pointing out.

FFXV is not on last gen. KH3 is not on last gen. Don't see why DQXI has to be any different.

And let's be honest here. The ps3 is already winding down. With the schedule SE works on, the ps3 will be beyond dead by the time DQXI releases, and the ps4 will be at the end of it's life while we're all talking about ps5 and xbox two.

dqxi isn't happening that late if they want to make the 30th anniversary release date, which is 2016.

I can see DQXI being on 3DS/PS3/PS4/Wii U if they really wanted to go the multiplatform route.

I just don't see it skipping the biggest install base in Japan (3DS). Shareholders would not be happy about that. Anything can happen, so we'll see.
You seem to forget the game is been planned for 2016.

Hate to burst the bubble, but looking at the last few media create threads it's more likely we'll see Dragon Quest XI on the Wii U than on the PS4. Japan are without a doubt done with consoles and Square-Enix could release DQXI on the PS4 if they want to make a lost from the game.

sublimit

Banned
Hate to burst the bubble, but looking at the last few media create threads it's more likely we'll see Dragon Quest XI on the Wii U than on the PS4. Japan are without a doubt done with consoles and Square-Enix could release DQXI on the PS4 if they want to make a lost from the game.

Isn't the WiiU a console?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Square/Armor Project are not going to make a decision based on the last two months of media create sales, lol.

I would say it would be strange, if the game is not too far off, to not release it on 3ds. It could be a 4 millions seller on that platform alone I think.

My guess would be PS4 and Wii U. But, as long as it takes Square to make mainline DQ games, we're talking 2016 at the earliest.

Also wouldn't be surprised if DQ XI was made for New 3DS, and backward-compatible with 3DS.

Top Bottom