• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there gaming equivalents to the ‚One-Hit-Wonders‘ from the music industry?

Elysion

Banned
I‘m sure we all know examples of musicians/bands who had one big hit single, but were never able to repeat that success ever again, and eventually faded back into obscurity. My question is, have there been comparable examples in the gaming industry?

To answer the question, it’s probably best if we first define what a ‚One-Hit-Wonder’ in a gaming context actually is. I’d say there are two ways to define the concept:

1: A particular developer that made a game that was critically and commercially very successful, but would never again come close to that level of success.

2: A game franchise that had one big, successful entry (usually the first one), but whose subsequent installments didn‘t come close to that success, and thus faded into relative niche status (or never had sequels at all).

I‘m actually having a hard time thinking of any examples. Sure, there are franchises like Driver, where the first game was the most successful and had by far the biggest impact, but while the sequels might not have had the same critical and commercial success, they weren‘t exactly niche either, so I don‘t think that counts. The same goes for development studios; I can‘t think of any that had only one big hit, while the rest of their output is (relatively) forgotten and obscure. Maybe someone else knows any examples?

Elysion

Banned
angry birds

Hmm, that might count, but didn‘t it have tons of updates with new levels and stuff? I think these kinds of service/GAAS games are a bit of a special case.

The creator of Minecraft had a really big hit with Minecraft. Then not much.

Did he even work on another game afterward? I think with Minecraft it‘s somewhat similar to Angry Birds; these are service games that receive lots of updates over a long period of time, so sequels aren‘t really necessary (yet).

CD Projekt Red

I‘m pretty sure each of their games sold better than the one before that, and they were all well received – with the exception of Cyberpunk, I guess (though even that is debatable).

iorek21

Great question.

Aside from maybe some indie studios, I can't really think of any AAA developer that reached this level...

Individual franchises, maybe. Far Cry still lives on the success of Far Cry 3 (despite FC2 being the best one).
Dragon Age lives on the success of Origins.
Watch_Dogs lives on no successes.

Assassin's Creed, despite having great titles like Black Flag and Origins, never again reached the level of quality presented by AC2.

d4qngt4-77970ea8-1aeb-4fea-8d49-bba528740592.gif

Shifty1897

Dustforce. The team won a ton of awards and the game came out on everything and sold pretty well. Then the developers announced a new game called Spire and... Nothing happened after that.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Dead Space.

First game was a critical and commercial hit, but the sequels failed to live up to the acclaim set by it. Dead Space was also Visceral Games big breakthrough but they were closed down when they never succeeded in creating their next big hit afterwards.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Mass Effect
Resistance
Dragon Age
KOTOR
Halo
Jack and Daxter
Uncharted
TLOU
Doom 2016
Forza Horizon

There are tons more.

People will disagree, that’s ok, my opinion do not invalidate yours and vice versa
Without Mass Effect and Forza Horizon I very much agree with this list.

KRYPT83

Dead Space.

First game was a critical and commercial hit, but the sequels failed to live up to the acclaim set by it. Dead Space was also Visceral Games big breakthrough but they were closed down when they never succeeded in creating their next big hit afterwards.
One and two was amazing 3 is a cult classic, people hated on it because it had co op

Mr Hyde

One and two was amazing 3 is a cult classic, people hated on it because it had co

I agree. The second one was very good, excellent mix of horror and action, but unfortunately it didn't live up to the reputation and general sentiment of the first game. It strayed too far from its horror roots, trying to pull an Aliens which left a lot of those who embraced the first one feeling betrayed by the new direction. I liked the third one too, but let's be honest, it failed really hard on capitalizing what made Dead Space such a memorable experience in the first place. Only the first game is seen as a cult classic.

We already have those types of games already. Even within franchises of popular Developers/Publishers.

Nintendo have Solar Striker which was never repeated.

Sony have Legend of Dragoon. Etc

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is this deliberate trolling or you genuinely didn't understand the question?
Maybe I'm wrong, but gears of War 1 were mere popular in the later entries.

Activision seems to have dropped the ball after cod MW2019.

TLOU 2 lived on the franchise name, and I doubt the third will be peaking after the second.

But maybe I didn't understand the question.

Sentenza

The entire Gears franchise comes from Epic that did one blockbuster after another since the late '90s.
All the studios working on the yearly rotation of releasing the new COD have been well established ones (often to the point of sadness, when as Raven they used to make far more interesting stuff before).
TLOU 2 is the last game from Naughty Dog which is almost literally Sony's leading "Blockbuster factory" and aguably their crown jewel.
Styx 1 had a direct sequel and Cyanide keep releasing plenty of other titles (including fairly more successful ones like the Blood Bowl series and more).
Sunset Overdrive is from the studio that released dozens of popular game, not last their greatest success Spiderman.
etc, etc, etc.

How is any of these studios a "one hit wonder" by any stretch of the definition?

Last edited:

Kupfer

Painkiller
k5MHc8M.png

The first Painkiller game was and still is awesome.
Brutal
Gritty
Dark
Over the top
Huge Bosses
Fast
Perfect amount of weirdness to the locations and guns
STAKE GUN!!!

The successors could not hold a candle to this

Also Hotline Miami
R6qLeWL.jpg

What a great game with an awesome soundtrack, maybe the most awesome soundtrack to a game for me. I finished it like 3 or 4 times, last time on the Vita not long ago.
Unfortunately, I never really warmed up to the follow-up, although I tried a few times. The story and narrative structure is somehow too tough and wannabe-complex.

Last edited:
Top Bottom