• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there gaming equivalents to the ‚One-Hit-Wonders‘ from the music industry?

Fbh

It wasn't a massive hit but at least to me Mercurysteam was a rather unknown studio, then they came to the spotlight with Lord of Shadow 1 which wasn't perfect but hinted a brilliant future for the studio, but then it went all downhill for there (though I guess they are on an upward trend with Samus Returns).

This is an interesting question as far as one hit wonder developers. Asking it about game franchises is pointless I think. If they're making sequels, that means they continue to be successful, so it's not a one hit wonder.

Phil Fish with Fez is the immediately apparent answer to me.

Definitely Gearbox is a great example with Borderlands. Gearbox is trash and has always been trash and they're trying to live off that one franchise that they tricked people into thinking was good. :messenger_poop:

Banned
Definitely Gearbox is a great example with Borderlands. Gearbox is trash and has always been trash and they're trying to live off that one franchise that they tricked people into thinking was good. :messenger_poop:

how old are some of you in here? wtf? some of these answers...

gearbox made multiple successful games before even ever releasing Borderlands... the fuck is going on in here?

007 Nightfire and Brothers in Arms to name 2

Last edited:
GEDE01.png
The first legacy of kain game was really well received by critics and fans. But ya, after ED Silicon Knights went downhill. Should've stuck with Nintendo.

Romulus

Tigon Studios: Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay.

They made a middling sequel and a bad racing game called Wheelman, but the first Riddick was special.

Duchess

I'm thinking that the One Hit Wonder thing here would be more about the studio, than the game?

So, we'd want to consider a studio that made that one great game, and everything else was ... meh?

Life is Strange - dontnod

;)

Brad McQuaid, and really all the main designers behind Everquest. Brad in particular was the public face of the development team. He was never able to match the success and impact of Everquest, tried with the colossal failure that was Vanguard. Was working on a third MMO and Brad sadly died.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Says you. 2 was way better.
I don't get why critics hated Parappa 2 so much compared to the first...

I really don't get it...

Tigon Studios: Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay.

They made a middling sequel and a bad racing game called Wheelman, but the first Riddick was special.
It's amazing how well Butcher Bay holds up today. It was using the same gfx techniques as Doom 3/Half-Life 2 and nobody was talking about Butcher Bay. Great game. I liked the sequel too, not nearly as good as the first, but it was more of the same and that was fine on it's release. Glad I got it on Steam before they delisted it. That and Prey are one of the few delisted games I have on Steam that I think is a shame that nobody else can play anymore.

yurinka

Mojang with Minecraft
Alexei Pajitnov with Tetris
Phil Fish with Fez
angry birds
Rovio had many super successful games.

Days Gone
The Last of us
Sunset overdrive
Styx 1
Gears of War
Condemned
Call of duty modern warfare
All are wrong. Styx and Condemned aren't wonders / big hits. All the other games/studios you mention are from studios who had many other super successful games, many of them even had other more successful games.

One hit wonder is when a creator has a single super hit game and isn't able to achieve by far that level of huge success again with any other games, who are irrelevant or don't even exist.

Last edited:
Sleeping Dogs is the third game in the True Crime series... so not quite fitting
Sleeping Dogs is considered a spiritual successor to True Crime and not an instalment in the series. I'm aware it was originally suppose to be, but technically it's another property.

The studio that made Sleeping Dogs

lJAhAVZ.jpg

The unfortunate thing about Sleeping Dogs is that it's good, so much so that I've owned it on consoles and now PC, and I still haven't played it more than a couple hours because I always seem to forget I have it. I'll see it, plan to play it next, then play something else because I overlooked it again when the time came.

Three

Free Radical Design with Timesplitters. Though that depends on if you consider Crytek the same as Free Radical design.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Free Radical Design with Timesplitters. Though that depends on if you consider Crytek the same as Free Radical design.
Remembered for going bankrupt after Haze.

Googling it, I didnt know they got bought out during bankruptcy and turned into Crytek UK. Then shut down again in 2014.

Andyliini

It wasn't a massive hit but at least to me Mercurysteam was a rather unknown studio, then they came to the spotlight with Lord of Shadow 1 which wasn't perfect but hinted a brilliant future for the studio, but then it went all downhill for there (though I guess they are on an upward trend with Samus Returns).
I wad just about to say this myself, Lords of Shadow 1 seems to be the only both critically and commercially successful game from MercurySteam. Samus Returns reviewed well, but did not sell that much. I just checked and they have released one game since Samus Returns, of which I have never heard of.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lobotomy.

They knocked it out the park first time with Powerslave/Exhumed and then... nothing.

In my little gaming bubble, Ken's Labyrinth was massive. Coded by Ken Silverman, who made the Build engine for 3D Realms but didn't actually work for them (don't think). He could be considered a one-hit wonder.

Parappa? The magic was gone after the first one.
Nah, disagreed. UmJammer shits over the 1st Parappa from a great height. It's got more content, more challenging songs, a better variety of songs and IMO better songs plus cooler stages and better button input recognition.

It's the best game in the franchise and the most slept on simply because Parappa's name isn't in the title.

Anyway, my pick for an obvious one-hit-wonder would be Bubsy. First game was a commercial success in spite of being garbage, and it never repeated anything close to that success afterwards.

Zug

Everquest (early era).
Thousands of people still play it on private servers 20+ years after.
One of the founding fathers of the MMO genre but Sony failed to capitalize on it, what's left of it is a dull pay to win game.

kuncol02

Banned
And Tigon. They show up as developers on the project. On their wiki, it has them as developers of Riddick also.
On the sequels info it suggests a collaboration.

How many people are from Tigon? Even Riddick wiki page says it was developed only by Starbreeze.

It is certainly ok to have different opinions but holy shit do yours suck.

I'm just going to chime in here. Resistance: Fall of Man was great, the other 2 mainline Resistance games that came after are failed attempts to appeal to critics and trends at the time. They had some dope shit going on in the first one (and i guess Retribution too, though i didnt like it as much) that they decided to wreck for subsequent entries because it was different. The initial setup for the series was good but Insomniac's execution thereafter was just abysmal.

The other games jaysius mentioned I dont agree with.

Last edited:

Romulus

Last edited:
ActRaiser (1990)

dc62yt0-011ab52a-27ef-4176-941f-a88f8574a7dd.gif

First of all the sequel sold about 1/3rd of what the first game sold.
The game sold about 620,000 copies worldwide, with 400,000 copies sold in Japan, 180,000 in the US and 40,000 in Europe.
ActRaiser 2 was seen by some game writers as not as good as the original.[26] The game sold about 180,000 copies worldwide, with 40,000 copies sold in Japan and Europe respectively and 100,000 sold in the US.[27]

6a76dde2f4bfdde0604d18a15e871219.gif

Feel like most people don't even know they made an ActRaiser 2. The game is entirely missing the God Mode part of the first game, which was one of the really cool standout parts that made it unique.

(BTW just posting these animated gifs is making me want to replay both ;-)

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Indie developers mostly, Fez, minecraft, and maybe braid(i found the witness to be tedious and boring). I honestly don't see the creators of those 3 to make anything of note afterwards. Honestly indie darlings in general, who talks about the devs of walking simulators these days?

Ah yes DOOM 2016. Can't think of any other title related to Doom that was a hit. /s

How about Duke Nukem 3D? Much better case. Everyone hated the follow up.

Last edited:

AMSCD

Maybe I'm wrong, but gears of War 1 were mere popular in the later entries.

Activision seems to have dropped the ball after cod MW2019.

TLOU 2 lived on the franchise name, and I doubt the third will be peaking after the second.

But maybe I didn't understand the question.
You didn't understand the question.

Seems to me like Metroid Prime was a "one hit wonder" in a sense because it's the most beloved work of Retro Studios. The sequels didn't capture the same feeling as the first one

Wrong, Ninja Theory's most successful game was DmC, Double Fine's most successful game was oddly enough Brütal Legend which sold over 1M, and BGE is no galaxy where near Ubisoft 's most successful game and it's too soon to judge it's sequal performance when it's not out yet!
I didn't understand the rules. I was thinking more along the lines of game with no sequel but had a large following.
How about the developer for the game Gone Home. It was well played and well recieved then they followed up with Tacoma I don't hear anyone talk about Tacoma. They announced a 3rd game about a road trip.

Top Bottom