• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you boycotting RDR2 because of the misrepresented 100 hours 'controversy'?

Are you boycotting Red Dead Redemption 2?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 36 6.9%
  • No, I am not

Votes: 472 90.4%
  • undecided

Votes: 14 2.7%

• Total voters

Petrae

I’m not “boycotting” it because of OverworkGate. I’m not buying it because:

— It’s yet another open-world game. I’m generally not interested in these, as I get bored with them quickly.
— It requires a fuckton of available hard drive space, including an Internet download of some 40-50GB. That’s a lot to ask for a game, especially with my bandwidth cap.

I couldn’t care less about “crunch” or how Rockstar did or didn’t abuse its employees. It has nothing to do with me. I care about whatever a game is worth my $60, given my tastes and demands— and this one doesn’t fit my profile.

MayauMiao

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I rail against on this forum. A coordinated smear campaign against a game by certain individuals just because that game is likely to snatch GOTY from some other games. Are we really doing this? This entire thread should be locked. Already preordered the game so afraid your propaganda reached me too late. Never change GAF.

No, don't lock. Instead of ban topic, just disagree with OP and make a point.

TacosNSalsa

Unless they are holding a gun to their head or family members hostage or something of that nature..then nope..as a matter of fact I'm buying the middle tier version..

No. I am not boycotting this game. In fact I am going to honor their sacrifice by trying to play for 100 hours the first week.

And I will double dip with PC later.

MayauMiao

Boycott a title like Red Dead Redemption II ? Eeh..

01e168_155380.jpg

Javthusiast

Banned
Yes I am gonna join my boycotting brothers and sisters as we write these comments on our devices made by children overseas getting paid cents an hour.

As if. All of them are hypocrites who are gonna buy the game anyway, and if not, then their couple sheckels won‘t matter whatsoever and the game will make it‘s budget back and then some on day 1.

Last edited:

Mercer_CAR

Banned
Assume the small percent of hypocrites who are pretending they are boycotting this game also do not have iPhones or wear Nike? Because of muh workin' conditions

Last edited:

pr0cs

Only due to no PC version and the fact I figure the oneX or pro would be the best launch versions and I own neither

wipeout364

I have already bought it. I don’t understand the boycott mentality at all. This game is being made in the USA, nobody is starving or being held ransom or risking their lives. If anybody doesn’t like working there leave; end of story. Boycotts are better served for some of the shitty places where people are made to work like in China or other third world places where people really are taken advantage of with very dangerous work conditions and long work hours for very poor pay. Those people get hurt then tossed away like garbage; that is worth boycotting or getting upset about.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I assume any employee that was unfairly untreated could file a complaint and/or quit. This is a free market.

Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
I hate gaming right now with a passion. I wish these people that search high and low for drama in the gaming industry put their effort into something worthwhile like community care projects in their neighbourhood. You know something worthwhile.

I understand that this would mean BOTH leaving the house and going outside so I'm not holding out on much hope.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Boycotting this game will definitely be a nice reward for those people who worked their ass off for this game.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Mercer_CAR

Banned
the boycotters have probably never worked a hard day in their life.... Greatness takes sacrifice and some people dont mind sacrificing for projects they care about.

Last edited:

Dethavin

Neo Member
I am honestly seriously confused by the OP's post... It's as if OP didn't follow up with the original story at all or read the update from the person who was interviewed... He later explained it was just him and a handful of writers who were putting in those kind of hours which is 100% understandable considering the sheer amount of writing that has gone into RDR2 from the game stats they released earlier this week... So no I will not be boycotting a company who A. Consistently puts out some of the best AAA Open world games as well as always pushes the boundries of said game genre with nearly every game they release B. Are always super passionate about the games they make unlike so many other companies now who only care about putting out half baked games and try nickle and diming players via micro transactions or boosts to play the game properly.

sol_bad

I mentioned earlier I'm not boycotting due to this 100 hour thing. People worked hard on this game. I'm not buying it day 1 though due to my wedding, if there are any microtransaction shenanigans though, that is where I'll boycott the game.

hivsteak

Place your bets:
- Red Dead Online free to play 6 months after its release
- $35 on Black Friday
- PC release following next gen console release

Absolutely I'm boycotting it! This is outrageous! I am definitely not buying it! I had no intention to buy it anyway, I honestly don't care about the game or the "boycott". This is silly.

Enzo88

If i start thinking about all the dark things behind the stuff i regularly purchase( starting from clothing and food), i would end up buying nothing.
Also, these people are in the first world, nobody is forcing them, quitting your job is always an option.

egocrata

Banned
Boycotting it.

I mean, it is not coming out on PC and I can’t buy a console right now, so I’m just claiming outrage instead of saying I am broke.

On a serious note, crunch time is a barbaric, outdated practice that should be abolished, and the whole industry should be unionized or heavily policed to avoid this insanity sooner rather than later. This discussion, however, goes beyond this one game.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
after the recent labor story and the "100 hour weekends" some gamers have mentioned that they are boycotting Rockstar and will not be purchasing Red Dead Redemption 2 citing a moral dilemma

how about you, has this story changed your plans, will you be boycotting Red Dead 2?

No. I will not boycott it. Boycotts are silly.

WaterAstro

Uh this poll is jumping the gun. Barely anyone is doing 100 hour weeks, and it was only 3 weeks out of seven years.

Fbh

I'm not getting it at launch but that's because of money related issues.

Honestly, if you want to boycott every game that has had people working overtime at some point then you might as well stop buying AAA games

xviper

hell no, i'm gonna buy the fuck out of this game

those stat are bullshit, they were just for advertising but it seems it didn't had the impact they wanted

and even if it's real, lets be honest, who gives a fuck ? it's not like they were held at gun point to work a 100 hour a week, i'm sure they have the option to quit

I have no reason to Virtue sig...Boycott.

People put a lot of time into this game for gamers to play it. So play the game.

I’m disappointed it isn’t on pc at launch but I’ll just double dip which is what they want.

Thiagosc777

Boycotting this game will definitely be a nice reward for those people who worked their ass off for this game.

tenor.gif

You do realize the developers themselves will only see a tiny fraction of the profits for the game, right? After the CEO and all the higher ups get their millions.

If the 60 dollars was split among the developers, then you might have a point.

I don't boycott stuff, but your logic is flawed. By buying the game you are rewarding the company, providing incentive for them to work as they do currently, and not the developers.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no. but im in no hurry to get it. i haven't finished the first game yet, not a huge fan of Rockstar's post-GTA:SA games, will probably buy used. the last Rockstar game i bought was GTA:SA. maybe i'll change my tune when i see it in person.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

Are you for real OP? Because this reads more like you want to convince us to boycott the game, even though its made in the same way as every other game.

If you really cared so much, you would make a thread critical of the industry in general. This thread seems atroturfed as fuck.

Halo0629

We should also boycott videogames all together since consoles are probably made and assembled using children and underage workers from china.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You do realize the developers themselves will only see a tiny fraction of the profits for the game, right? After the CEO and all the higher ups get their millions.

If the 60 dollars was split among the developers, then you might have a point.

I don't boycott stuff, but your logic is flawed. By buying the game you are rewarding the company, providing incentive for them to work as they do currently, and not the developers.
How would boycotting the game would help anything exactly!!?

Javthusiast

Banned
Sorry if this derails the conversation a little, but I used the following sentence in a previous post here:

As if. All of them are hypocrites who are gonna buy the game anyway, and if not, then their couple sheckels won‘t matter whatsoever and the game will make it‘s budget back and then some on day 1.

I really don‘t wanna sound ignorant, but I truly don‘t know. Is the use of the word sheckels atisemitism?

Cause I just got a week long ban for this exact sentence on that other forum. I just heard the word being used on a youtube stream recently, where the guy was giving thanks for donations by using that word for currency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom