• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

The minute I saw this in the presentation I was sold on Switch. They are literally recreating virtual reality without a head set, and if they keep digging deeper the game will be must have software.

And just to be clear -- I went from very neutral on Switch to neutral - positive, which is a big change in my opinions.

Peléo;228474476 said:
Great impressions. I'm glad everyone that has played is enjoying this game a lot.

About the grabs feeling cheap, did you guys know that punches break through them? You don't even need to dodge to counter it. Take a look at this timestamp:

https://youtu.be/lU6pMr1BKec?t=13m59s

I think I did slightly notice that in my fight. My opponent was spamming grabs, and I was able to punch my way out!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As long as there's some real single player content, this thing will probably be awesome. The more I see of the mechanics, the more I'm convinced that Ninty's on to something special here.

TDLink

I'm expecting this game to have a decently sized roster and a campaign of some sort.

I like what I'm seeing, just need the content amount to be there.

I'm thinking of all these comments about a lack of content and I'm laughing at the pure fuckery that would have been Splatoon at E3 2014 if the demo there had allowed players to choose between the 4 modes and change clothing and weapons. It would have been madness! When we have people in here who have played and are still finding out about mechanics, all of that stuff would have only made things confusing

ekim

Sorry if this is answered already but if I want to play this locally with another player with motion controls, does every player need 2 joycons?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the Treehouse Live stream gameplay. The independently changeable arms, the ability to charge, and the individual character abilities adds so much to what I thought this game was.

If this game has compelling single-player content (I'm not a big PvP fan), I'll buy this. I'm very curious what the retail package will include.

The more I think about it the more I think this may not release until after E3 because Nintendo may want to really push this new IP and give it another conference to show off new modes (just like they did with Splatoon) and let people get more hands.

Plum

For singleplayer they should bring back something similar to the sword-fighting game in Wii Sports Resort; where you move forward automatically and deal with enemies one at a time. With enough enemy variety and some other gimmicks put in there to spice things up it could be really good. Just having a generic tourney mode for singleplayer content would be quite disappointing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The game looks better and is more interesting than what was shown at the conference.
Gameplay communicates what it is better than the trailer they showed.

Mr T.

Banned
I will say I've watched my fair share of hands-on Nintendo Switch previews/reviews and most people claimed this game surprised them the most (outside Zelda). Most people say there is more depth to the game then people think and its a blast to play with someone.

I'd have to see more.

The game looks better and is more interesting than what was shown at the conference.
Gameplay communicates what it is better than the trailer they showed.

Yeah the trailer was pretty bad. The first part with the live actors set the stage for another 1-2 Switch minigame type thing. Gameplay part of the trailer wasn't horrible, but any enthusiasm for it was obliterated by that opening segment.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely looks like it has some promise. I doubt it will be for me as I'm not big into fighting games/MP games in general anymore, and just stick with Smash and SFV when I get the rare itch. But if it has enough content and depth to gamplay I could see it doing decent for Nintendo.

Doorman

I have to believe that's just a standard "spring" date the retailer used because they needed to set something for booking pre-orders. Given what Nintendo's said about their strategy and spacing releases, there's no way in hell they'd release this within two weeks of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Malus

I have to believe that's just a standard "spring" date the retailer used because they needed to set something for booking pre-orders. Given what Nintendo's said about their strategy and spacing releases, there's no way in hell they'd release this within two weeks of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Yeah I gotta agree with this. Don't see ARMS and MK releasing in the same month.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, nope. But who knows? Ever since Nintendo released SM3DW and Zelda ALBW on the same day, I don't know what to expect.

Not

Banned
Noticed (just in case someone else hasn't) that in the official art, all the people with extend-o-arms have cool spiral-y robot eyes, while the character riding in the yellow robot suit doesn't.

Adds weight to the theory that most of the fighters are cyborgs, if not full androids.

wildfire

Banned
While that would be awesome, it'd leave May completely baren. Plus MK8 Deluxe already has April covered.

Mario Kart is 2 weeks later. You talk about May being barren but the supposed quality of games between Zelda and Kart leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Nintendo won't have anything but there might be some good 3rd parties.
RIME is slated for May and maybe inspite of the problems it was having it's actually respectable when it comes out.
Sonic Mania and Legocity are for anytime during the Spring.

Golnei

I know the LEGS joke is played out, but please give it one more chance.

tumblr_ojtau5kt1z1qbnch3o1_r1_1280.png

lol why are there people freaking out that you need to buy another controller for two player
I remember when bomberman on the SNES required a multitap and 3 more controllers to get the full experience and nobody I knew, me least of all, even blinked at the thought.
Then again, the prices weren't quite as high compared to switch accessories :eek:

I want this, Zelda, and 1/2 switch...but ma , it's like $500 on video games is tough to swallow..and seems like 2 joycons is the most fun way to play.

Everyday I'm back n forth with Switch, really seems like the perfect second console, especially with my friends come over. Just slap in the face prices tho

DrArchon

Doubt it. Probably just a placeholder. I seriously doubt they were able to go from an abstract time-frame to a concrete date in like a week. If they were, they'd have had to be considering a mid-April date for a while and would've probably just said that at the conference.

I'd love to be wrong though.

psyfi

Banned
If they don't play off "spring" release-date visuals (i.e., the springy-lookin' arms), someone's asleep at the wheel.
100%

But at some point they're going to have to update "Spring 2017" to an actual month and date, and then it'll kinda lose its bounce.

Maybe they should've looked into getting "the offspring" to do some of the soundtrack for them ;D

...joking aside, what little music I've heard from it during the stages is pretty neat though.

Top Bottom