• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

//ARCANUM

Kind of a general question, but what time frame does the gaming industry consider "spring"? Like what date range? Wondering the earliest and latest we could theoretically see ARMS release.

psyfi

Banned
Kind of a general question, but what time frame does the gaming industry consider "spring"? Like what date range? Wondering the earliest and latest we could theoretically see ARMS release.
I'm thinking March / April / May, but I'm guessing May. Zelda in March, Mario Kart in April, Arms in May.

As far as the actual seasons go, the first day of Spring this year is March 20th and the first day of Summer is June 21st.

Doorman

At the extreme ends, you could probably get away with calling this anywhere from March through June. That said, I think if this was coming out prior to Mario Kart we would have had a more concrete date given than "spring," so late May/early June would be my best guess to keep the first party titles more evenly spaced out. That leaves room for Splatoon 2 in July/August, and then lead into FE Musou and the rest of whatever shows up for the rest of the fall.

//ARCANUM

Thanks for the replies all! That makes sense as for a steady drip feed of different kinds of games. I'm just hoping Nintendo works with EVO to make ARMS a tournament game because that sounds awesome.

I'm gonna be at PAX South next weekend. Anyone know if Nintendo/ARMS will have any presence there?

Thanks for the replies all! That makes sense as for a steady drip feed of different kinds of games. I'm just hoping Nintendo works with EVO to make ARMS a tournament game because that sounds awesome.

I'm gonna be at PAX South next weekend. Anyone know if Nintendo/ARMS will have any presence there?

Switch is playable there, so ARMS will probably be there as well.

Neoxon

The problem is that EVO 2017 is already poised to be pretty stacked.

//ARCANUM

Hey guys! I cut together a video of my (and co-worker's) ARMS' impressions. You can check it out here if you want.

The only real problem we ran into was with blocking. Some of that might have been the build of the game, and some might have been us needing to learn to play the game better.

BUT, it's a fantastic game and I can't wait to play it again. It was easily the highlight of PAX South for both of us. And this is coming from the guy who thought it looked lame at the initial reveal.

edit - as always, if mods don't want me linking to my video impressions, I don't mind removing! Just let me know ^_^.

Tom_Cody

Hey guys! I cut together a video of my (and co-worker's) ARMS' impressions. You can check it out here if you want.

The only real problem we ran into was with blocking. Some of that might have been the build of the game, and some might have been us needing to learn to play the game better.

BUT, it's a fantastic game and I can't wait to play it again. It was easily the highlight of PAX South for both of us. And this is coming from the guy who thought it looked lame at the initial reveal.

edit - as always, if mods don't want me linking to my video impressions, I don't mind removing! Just let me know ^_^.
Thanks! I'll look forward to checking it out.

Speely

Banned

Great impressions! Thanks for taking the time to put this together :)

Vitacat

I'm probably getting a Switch close to launch, and ARMS is actually my most anticipated game. Looks like great fun, and always good to see a new Nintendo IP.

Just wish it was ready at launch. Switch launch selection is painfully limited.

//ARCANUM

I'm probably getting a Switch close to launch, and ARMS is actually my most anticipated game. Looks like great fun, and always good to see a new Nintendo IP.

Just wish it was ready at launch. Switch launch selection is painfully limited.

I think if ARMS was a launch title, it would be a MUCH different launch. ARMS feels like the game that best shows off the uniqueness of the Switch and what it brings to the table. Shame it wasn't ready.

Doorman

Famitsu got an interview with the producer of Arms, Kosuke Yabuki, and we have a translation thanks to NintendoEverything.

Arms producer on the game’s origins, more news about content to come, controls, more

Yep, I actually made a separate thread about it here with a few specific excerpts. I considered just posting it in the topic here at first but I figured it offered enough information and official confirmations of things (in particular official confirmation that the game can be played on a single joycon) that it fits the "new thread for new news" quota and was something worth re-addressing for folks on the boards that might have skeptically written the game's potential feature-set off earlier.

I think if ARMS was a launch title, it would be a MUCH different launch. ARMS feels like the game that best shows off the uniqueness of the Switch and what it brings to the table. Shame it wasn't ready.

Personally I'm less sure this is an issue of readiness as much as Nintendo following their plan to avoid major software droughts. Not to say they don't still have time to add things between now and (I presume) late May/early June, but I'd bet that it's more done than not so far. The question I'm mostly wrestling with is whether it would have been a better move to swap its release position with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or not. Mario Kart is definitely a known brand that can sell some systems and pump up the install base prior to ARMS coming out...but it also risks the new IP being a bit overshadowed by the established name, and if people are still spending a lot of play time in racing and online battles in Kart, they may not feel the same need to pick up a brand new unorthodox fighter.

Tom_Cody

Yep, I actually made a separate thread about it here with a few specific excerpts. I considered just posting it in the topic here at first but I figured it offered enough information and official confirmations of things (in particular official confirmation that the game can be played on a single joycon) that it fits the "new thread for new news" quota and was something worth re-addressing for folks on the boards that might have skeptically written the game's potential feature-set off earlier.
Thanks for the heads-up! I totally missed that thread.

Without having played it myself, I can see Arms getting a big push from a free downloadable demo featuring the content people have played at the Switch showcases thus far. It's precisely the kind of game that would benefit from a hands-on, if all the glowing impressions thus far are to be believed, and it looks much likelier to benefit from a demo than games with steep learning curves like The Wonderful 101 or Star Fox Zero, where people were actually turned off from the experience as they were overwhelmed with unfamiliar mechanics without enough play-space to warm to them.

CaVaYeRo

The game is surely a blast to play, much more tactical than it seemed at first sight. You have to keep several parameters in mind, have good timing between jumping, leaning, blocking, curve-punching, grabbing, etc, not to mention the different arms.

We just captured a couple of Spring Man vs Ninjara combats, and the guy on the left knows his Arms, as he'd been playing for some days now. This is how you play:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/368483/Como+jugar+Arms+en+Nintendo+Switch,+gameplay+experto/

jorgejjvr

The game is surely a blast to play, much more tactical than it seemed at first sight. You have to keep several parameters in mind, have good timing between jumping, leaning, blocking, curve-punching, grabbing, etc, not to mention the different arms.

We just captured a couple of Spring Man vs Ninjara combats, and the guy on the left knows his Arms, as he'd been playing for some days now. This is how you play:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/368483/Como+jugar+Arms+en+Nintendo+Switch,+gameplay+experto/
Pretty awesome

This game is going to be great competitively

This May 2nd release date I saw earlier on this website.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/11/amazon-lists-arms-with-a-may-2nd-release-date/

arms_releasedate_amazonit.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

phanphare

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but was watching the Kid's Choice Awards for Wonder Woman trailer and they aired a commercial for this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWZnYhUhqqI

well seeing how it seems like they're linking Mario Kart 8D and Arms in that commercial May 2nd makes sense. a nice one two punch, if you will.

It wouldn't make sense to release a game in a new IP four days after a game in a huge, established IP. I hope ARMS is May, but not four-days-after-Mario-Kart May. End of May would be good.

May 2nd makes zero sense. It's on a Tuesday and they're not going to release a brand new IP they want to succeed days after Mario Kart 8. It won't be until mid May the earliest.

Totofogo

Neo Member
Had a chance to play this at pax today... wow. Much more depth than I was expecting. I'm very interested to see how the 'traditional' controls will work, but the motion controls were very well done. Hope they're equally well done to make playing this split screen in public a possibility.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'd been figuring this would take the Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon late May release day and get a similar roll out to Splatoon (a Direct to hype up the launch, maybe an online demo, and continued free post-launch support).

May 26th or June 2nd is my guess.

Top Bottom