• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DKL

Not true, there was.. DKL.. I think in the GAF room with a vicious Barq and Byte. Was getting super in my face and was really hard to deal with. Specially as up close you are forgetting about Barq a lot as he messes with your stuff.

My Twintelle is actually a lot worse when it comes to pressure since she has all the movement options lol

But I do enjoy the dog gimmick since it's pretty fun. But the base character is like... super basic, but I inadvertently learned the universal anti-air punish because of my limitations lol

(I won't main dog I think, but I learn a lot playing him since I only have access to the most basic of tools... and it's funny when he trolls the opponent)

But yeah, corner pressure with dog is still pretty good since you have less room to move around in...

I think the tech is to roll into the dog on wakeup since police player will always assume you wanna roll away from the dog :v

(you will throw police man lockon off and have the advantage if he guesses wrong)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
that fucking song is stuck in my head. it was in my dreams last night, I had it in my head when I woke up...it's everywhere.

oh and I'd be happy if people who are playing during 8AM-10PM GMT would add me :D
Quote to see my Friendcode ^_^/

NateDrake

yup, said it a few pages back, but damage needs to be nerfed, or needs more cooldown.

A bit of both, honestly. I mean...it is what it is. I don't blame folks for using and abusing this type of weapon (people will come up with ways to overcome it) but I don't blame folks for being aggravated over it, either.

Third GP 4 down, this time as Spring Man. I worked out the timing on his blue ring of deflection in the training mode, but didn't get much use out of it in a practical situation; so far I'm only finding it useful as an emergency response if I'm under attack while charging up with a dash.

This was the first character I took through the Grand Prix without heavy arms (still using default loadouts), and the hit to my damage output was noticeable—far more timeouts than I saw before, though I'm getting better at defending and poking, and I'm also saving rushes between rounds instead of trying to score a KO quickly. I think I have a habit of standing too far back instead of closing in when I'm behind and need to press the attack. Byte & Barq gave me the most trouble until I worked out a consistent method for both defending against and taking out Barq, and it was difficult to get through to Hedlok in rounds where he went with hammers on both sides—I had to dodge everything and lock him down with the Boomerang. That aside, so far I'm in a comfortable place with rank 4 of the GP and am never at a loss for what to do; I just need to clean up the execution. I'm probably ready to move up with my better characters but I'd like to complete a grand tour of the roster first to identify the weaknesses in my play against the CPU.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried playing with one joycon. It's of course not perfect, but for a quick match against the wife or friends on the go?

I was surprised. definitely an option.

35012768810_06c70caeb5_z.jpg

Byte in a bar.

that fucking song is stuck in my head. it was in my dreams last night, I had it in my head when I woke up...it's everywhere.

oh and I'd be happy if people who are playing during 8AM-10PM GMT would add me :D
Quote to see my Friendcode ^_^/

Added :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I beat GP1-4 the first time using only double chakrams, never switched until the second time through while experimenting. Heavy arms massively increase your damage output, connecting with a Rush the difference is huge. But playing only lights or mediums also has advantages. You can get Rushes more often with faster arms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been playing motion controls, is there any benifit to the standard controls?

this game could use a FAQ I think hehe

I don't know if there's an easy answer, they seem to both have tradeoffs. Movement is easier and more consistent on traditional, aiming punches is easier on motion, and the guard is very different on each. I think people are pretty torn. Seems like a lot of high level people are just playing on traditional though.

BashNasty

I've been playing motion controls, is there any benifit to the standard controls?

I started out with standard controls for my first four or so hours of ARMS and eventually decided to give motion controls a shot after hearing praises.

... I don't understand how anyone can manage with motion controls. In my mind, the Pro controls are infinitely better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I started out with standard controls for my first four or so hours of ARMS and eventually decided to give motion controls a shot after hearing praises.

... I don't understand how anyone can manage with motion controls. In my mind, the Pro controls are infinitely better.
How much more difficult are wide grabs with pro? I need them.

That was fun. I'm glad I showed everyone something. My ZL button stoppped working halfway so I had to make due. I felt badnthat he was learning so I went easy on him and dicked around, haha even changed up my arms like double guardians and almost won actually and mixed and matched. At the end I ended up taking suggestions hence the parasol and seekie, I think I'd like to visit when he does that again to watch and give advice. Or maybe to fight him near the end of his streams and just use what people want. Overall it was fun and funny, much respect towards him and he's a good sport. I loved helping people when I could. I'll have to see if he'll ever make me try. After I perfected him I just felt bad..

JCH!

After playing all the Testpunches with my Pro Controller, I decided to give motion a go and played motion controls exclusively over the weekend. I felt absolutely gimped. Glad my experiment is over and I can go back to standard controls.

After playing all the Testpunches with my Pro Controller, I decided to give motion a go and played motion controls exclusively over the weekend. I felt absolutely gimped. Glad my experiment is over and I can go back to standard controls.

I did the opposite and gladly went back to motion. Really subjective.

He'll regret it after though when he gets matched up with high level players and gets murdered every match.

I think you might be surprised, a lot of players don't care about the journey to a higher rank, they just want to get there. I doubt he'd resent it later.

When I kill AFK players in FPS, I don't feel bad or worry about the long-term consequences.

I did the opposite and gladly went back to motion. Really subjective.

My impression is that the first control scheme you learn well enough to grasp the pace and mechanics of the game will be the one that sticks. As you learn the game, your understanding of what to do gets encoded into how you do it, through the various habits you cultivate in your chosen controls such that your actions and reactions become second nature. This makes it difficult to switch controls in either direction.

Most players who prefer buttons, I gather, either started with buttons first (where they felt they had a head start from how sticks and buttons work in other video games) or started with motion but dropped it out of frustration before ever getting to the comfort level where they could think about tactics and mechanics without consciously worrying about the execution. I started with motion myself, and it took me an hour or two to get my movement to feel responsive, reliable, and snappy enough that I no longer wished for sticks. But now I am so far past that point that my understanding of how to play the game—when to punch, how to curve, how to string movements into attacks or vice versa—is so totally bound up in the motion controls that any attempt to switch to buttons is like tearing it all down and starting from scratch. I would have to conceptualize the game in a different way and drop all kinds of inculcated assumptions about how the systems work, and I just don't see the payoff as worthwhile when the idea of a second-generation motion game was what drew me to Arms in the first place.

It would have been useful to learn the button controls in case I ever want to play handheld, but now I'm thinking that if I'm ever in a situation where I can only play the Switch handheld/attached, I might as well play a different game entirely. Arms is a motion game for me, plain and simple. It's one thing to retrain myself to jump with B instead of X in Splatoon (a stumbling block for every veteran in the Splatoon 2 Testfire), but a whole other level of adjustment to get comfortable with Arms one way and start from nothing the other way.

Moondrop

Banned
I don't understand Min Min's kicks. Like I get kicking backward can combo into a charge... but so does blocking. I see the opponent arm drops for a moment, but it doesn't feel like much of an opening. Plus it seems as if Min Min goes with heavy gloves pretty well, so there's the option of counter punching too. Then for aerial kicks, the arc of the side kicks suggests it's to protect her flank, like against chakrams and boomerangs? And the front/back aerial kicks seem slow. The hitbox for kicks is also pretty unforgiving, which would make more sense to me if they were faster.

How much more difficult are wide grabs with pro? I need them.
Very difficult- you have to flick the stick between left/right poles while punching twice within the frame window for it to register as a grab.

JCH!

Does GP get easier if you lose a match?

I always win my second match against Hedlok after getting rekt in the first one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Very difficult- you have to flick the stick between left/right poles while punching twice within the frame window for it to register as a grab.
Wow. I imagine it matters a lot more for some characters/arms setups versus others though.
Does GP get easier if you lose a match?

I always win my second match against Hedlok after getting rekt in the first one.
No but he may have changed Arms causing a completely different matchup

Just attempted and cleared 1-vs-100 for the first time (as Min Min). It's more interesting than I expected: I assumed everyone would just get a standard 100-man-melee on a neutral stage like in SSB, but instead every character is paired with their home stage, where the enemies mostly sport arms from that character's default loadout, as far as I can tell, but widen their arm selection as you get further into the challenge. Each stage has a separately tracked record time; clear the home stage and the 1-vs-100 challenge there becomes available to all other characters. A healing circle drops after every 10 kills unless you are at full health, in which case you get one of the fire bombs to launch at the enemies and cut down on your time.

Also good practice for trying to hit a Helix.

The target switching is clumsy, though not quite as bad as it is in 2v2 because at least the targets are clearly marked and not always bunched together. To be honest, anything involving multiple targets in this game seems to be an afterthought in an experience self-evidently designed to revolve around the 1v1. Here I lost some time just in the course of acquiring the nearest target (usually one deep in the noodle bowl, at that) so I wouldn't leave my flank exposed.

I don't understand Min Min's kicks. Like I get kicking backward can combo into a charge... but so does blocking. I see the opponent arm drops for a moment, but it doesn't feel like much of an opening. Plus it seems as if Min Min goes with heavy gloves pretty well, so there's the option of counter punching too. Then for aerial kicks, the arc of the side kicks suggests it's to protect her flank, like against chakrams and boomerangs? And the front/back aerial kicks seem slow. The hitbox for kicks is also pretty unforgiving, which would make more sense to me if they were faster.

Still figuring out how to make good use of it myself, but the extra deflection gives you some breathing room to safely have both of your arms out or take to the air. I don't know how useful that is in high-level play (where the dominant thinking right now, from what I've read in this thread, seems to encourage staying on the ground so you don't get punished on landing), but against the CPU I find that room for error useful; it lets me play a little more aggressively.

Chauzu

Just attempted and cleared 1-vs-100 for the first time (as Min Min). It's more interesting than I expected: I assumed everyone would just get a standard 100-man-melee on a neutral stage like in SSB, but instead every character is paired with their home stage, where the enemies mostly sport arms from that character's default loadout, as far as I can tell, but widen their arm selection as you get further into the challenge. Each stage has a separately tracked record time; clear the home stage and the 1-vs-100 challenge there becomes available to all other characters. A healing circle drops after every 10 kills unless you are at full health, in which case you get one of the fire bombs to launch at the enemies and cut down on your time.

Also good practice for trying to hit a Helix.

The target switching is clumsy, though not quite as bad as it is in 2v2 because at least the targets are clearly marked and not always bunched together. To be honest, anything involving multiple targets in this game seems to be an afterthought in an experience self-evidently designed to revolve around the 1v1. Here I lost some time just in the course of acquiring the nearest target (usually one deep in the noodle bowl, at that) so I wouldn't leave my flank exposed.

Still figuring out how to make good use of it myself, but the extra deflection gives you some breathing room to safely have both of your arms out or take to the air. I don't know how useful that is in high-level play (where the dominant thinking right now, from what I've read in this thread, seems to encourage staying on the ground so you don't get punished on landing), but against the CPU I find that room for error useful; it lets me play a little more aggressively.

You just sold me on giving this a go.

GenG3000

The grounded MinMin kicks, as with all counters in all FGs, is to take advantage of mindless pressuring and won't work every time. Some arms are very safe on block so if you see them coming you can kick them out of shield for a precious opening. And it works with grabs too! Try it for maximum salt, although is difficult to make it work twice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Going through 4 with Min Min. I didn't love Dragon at all at first but ramen girl's left arm is pretty insane. I'm embarrassing peeps that gave me trouble like twintelle. feels good.

I don't really get her kicks either

Top Bottom