• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Well this game clicked with me out of nowhere.

I was having buyers remorse and kind of bummed out about the whole thing, but then all of a sudden it clicked. Motion controls that felt weird and unresponsive now felt super tight and accurate, and the strategy and gameplay just clicked.

Really having a ton of fun with this. Thanks to my 2nd wind I cleared 4 with Ninjara and cleared 3 with my girlfriend (who isn't much of a gamer) with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl!

Online is super fun too. Money well spent.

Holy moley this game is harder to gain the nuance of each character than I thought it would. Been trying to through a few Grand Prixs and jumped around to random star levels and was even having trouble on 2s and 3s which I did not expect.

Crom

And that's the issue, you don't have to do that against any other character aside from maybe a turtle Master Mummy, and that's a completely different issue that only requires a minor adjustment in how you play.

If Helix actually has almost no recovery he needs to be nerfed. That breaks the game at a fundamental level.

Dude... you realize he's not good, right? He may be good eventually (he's certainly capable), but I doubt he'll stick with it long enough to get to that point.

Yeah... I was trying to get to rank 10, but realizing there's no win/loss data, leaderboards, or even a place to see your own rank outside of ranked mode, I'm not motivated at all. I'm also hearing that rank 15 is the highest. What are you supposed to do at that point?

If you punch with Byte, Barq also punches. You can actually escape grabs this way. If you punch a bit late to break a grab, or the grab is off axis and your punch doesn't work at all (design issue), Barq will still punch and potentially interrupt the grab by hitting the opponent. There's a specific strategy to playing the pair, I just don't think it works very well compared to what the rest of the cast is capable of.

How do you beat a turtle Master Mummy?

They shield, wait for the grab, then punch throught it?

Soul Lab

How do you beat a turtle Master Mummy?

They shield, wait for the grab, then punch throught it?

Go close range so he can't react to the grabs. He has to read them this way. Then you start to do mix ups. grabs, dash -> grab, punch. etc.
If he reads well he wins, if not you win

Ketch

What characters should I spend my time learning? I like spring man, mummy, and ninja but I'm not sure whose low tier in this game.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Been thinking about ARMS all day at work. Things I should try it out tonight, errors I think I've been making etc. Addicted for sure.

ggx2ac

I have finished Grand Prix Level 7 with all ten characters.

This was my best run at Grand Prix Level 7:
DCsJ2cDUAAAEuTK.jpg

Here are all the characters:

Moondrop

Banned
Does GP get easier if you lose a match?

I always win my second match against Hedlok after getting rekt in the first one.
I suspect the answer is yes. Many games have "adaptive difficulty" under the hood of the hard-coded difficulty. I've beaten GP lvl 4 with 6/10 and I've observed this (though it could be confirmation bias). Plus the devs have shown a strong preference for adaptive difficulty (i.e. handicapping) in party mode.

Jazzem

Party Mode is so fun and addictive. I don't even care if I never unlock ranked mode lol

This is a rare case of a fighter where I'm playing unranked more than ranked online, primarily due to the ability to join friends. Always a pleasant surprise when someone from my friends list pops into my lobby :D

I enjoy the variety it offers too, even though 1v1 is definitely my favourite mode of play.

SummitAve

Banned
Party Mode is so fun and addictive. I don't even care if I never unlock ranked mode lol

Tried out 2p party yesterday, and my gf and I were surprisingly able to hold our own. I didn't think she would stand a chance online as I was already getting my ass kicked most times by myself, and she doesn't really play games, but together we dominated. It was a lot of fun.

Renna Hazel

This is a rare case of a fighter where I'm playing unranked more than ranked online, primarily due to the ability to join friends. Always a pleasant surprise when someone from my friends list pops into my lobby :D

I enjoy the variety it offers too, even though 1v1 is definitely my favourite mode of play.

How do you join friends online?

Chauzu

question..
playing this online requires some sort of nintendo online service paid subscription?

Not yet, paid online starts sometime in 2018. It will cost 20$ per year I think it was? Includes some sort of Netflix style service for NES games with added online play (for starters) as well as eShop sales.

Dipship31

This has probably already been discussed, but is there any sort of stat tracking for any of the modes in this game? Kinda be nice to see an overall of how I'm doing at least in ranked.

Ugh, I so want to play a lot more but I fucked up my thumb with a razor so RIP.

Game was so fun when I could actually play it comfortably though.

I have finished Grand Prix Level 7 with all ten characters.

This was my best run at Grand Prix Level 7:

Here are all the characters:

Sir, I'm both in awe and scared, frankly it's kind of a bummer they don't give some permanente rewards (skins or something like the champion belt) for completing grand prix.

Timeaisis

I feel like I'm clicking the most with Kid Cobra, but I can't help but feel like he's really given the short end of the stick, special ability wise. His quick dodge is absolutely great, but...

You need to be charged to do it. If you are not fully charged you do a really slow dodge that gets you hit (usually). And when you do dodge, by that point your charge is probably gone so you any punches you are about to get in will be un-charged. It feels like his quick-step charge does kind of works against his ability to hit with charged punches, but you don't quite have enough time to make the decision on which to do (because doing a charged dodge is usually going to let your charge fall off at the end of the dodge).

Any really good Cobra players out there that can give me some advice on how to approach this?

EDIT:

I'll echo a few Helix complaints. He fells very broken with certain arms (like poppers). In that I see no way to even win or ascertain what went wrong in the fight. Can't say that about every other match, where I can clearly identify weak points. Maybe that's just the meta right now and we haven't figured out an obvious weakness. That being said, if it requires me to switch characters and arms as a counter to Helix, that, to me, means the character is broken because it needs a very specific counter.

Pejo

Man I have the worst time with Spring Man of all people. Tried out a bunch of characters over the weekend, and Barq & Byte, and Kid Cobra are my favorites so far. I actually really like doing double slapmander Cobra. They're really versatile weapons.

So I did it.

I said when I defeat Gore, I will take a Screenshot and frame it.

img_3620hgsg3.jpg

When ever I will feel sad, I just look at this picture and be happy again.
When ever there is a task that seems impossible to do, I look at that picture and know nothing is impossible.

Do I hate helix with double poppers?? Yes I do.

Am I to proud defeating Gore with double poppers only once? Maybe

So who ever is facing Gore, just remember: It is not impossible to defeat him!!!!

Here is also a link to the original screenshot:
https://abload.de/img/dcrjfljvwaauzvk.jpg-5qsxs.jpeg

phanphare

Banned
So I did it.

img_3620hgsg3.jpg

When ever there is a task that seems impossible to do, I look at that picture and know nothing is impossible.

So who ever is facing Gore, just remember: It is not impossible to defeat him!!!!

black and yellow min min looks so good

My enthusiasm for the game is growing day by day. Punishing people that spam grabs or punches is one of the best feelings that ARMS made me discover!

ngower

Gore seems to be ril gud. What are the odds he'd give us some hawt tips or tutorials or anything of that sort?

Alternatively, is there any solid tutorial for learning a fighters quirks and abilities? I feel like I'm only competent with the aerial gals (Twintelle and Ribbon Girl) who have also ranked super high on tier lists so maybe I'm just terrible?

Kyzer

Banned
I have a much harder time with barq and bye than helix, when it comes to AI. The grabs in this game are honestly just bullshit sometimes, what use is it being weak to punches when punches just fly right through them without breaking the grab

Peltz

Well this game clicked with me out of nowhere.

I was having buyers remorse and kind of bummed out about the whole thing, but then all of a sudden it clicked. Motion controls that felt weird and unresponsive now felt super tight and accurate, and the strategy and gameplay just clicked.

Really having a ton of fun with this. Thanks to my 2nd wind I cleared 4 with Ninjara and cleared 3 with my girlfriend (who isn't much of a gamer) with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl!

Online is super fun too. Money well spent.

This happened to me too. The game has a very unique feel to it. It's a surprisingly steep learning curve, especially with the motion controls.

God. I feel like I'm terrible at this game. I'm getting wrecked in arcade mode even on like, level 3. Guh. :(

This was me in arcade mode too. But after things clicked, I started easily beating the CPU at level 4. This game is all about patience and picking your moments. Be defensive and opportunistic.

I still don't understand the aiming in this game. Seems like the arms never go to the target, whatever I try. Close combat I just get destroyed because the arms just fly next to my enemy.

I don't understand it. Seems like I have to spam until I get a random hit in.

I tried the "advanced" training and I can't reliably hit the CPU. I think I need tutorial videos or at least someone to explain it to me.

Blunoise

So I did it.

img_3620hgsg3.jpg

lol I beat him twice, although I don't play him as much as I should

I still don't understand the aiming in this game. Seems like the arms never go to the target, whatever I try. Close combat I just get destroyed because the arms just fly next to my enemy.

I don't understand it. Seems like I have to spam until I get a random hit in.

I tried the "advanced" training and I can't reliably hit the CPU. I think I need tutorial videos or at least someone to explain it to me.
If you want to throw a straight punch with classic controls you have to press ZL/ZR without touching the control stick. With motion you just have to punch straight.

RedFury

So what's the quickest way to unlock arms? Do I have to do that mini game with my points to unlock them, is that the only way? How do I unlock the other characters? Literally have only played couch PvP with family since the game came out. Have a lots of points but haven't unlocked anything.

Top Bottom