• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Joni

She should get more roles. I don't know why her career just died like that. It isn't because her first name is too hard to spell.

Watching the Collider TV talk and they were reviewing the DC shows,
Seriously 2 or 3 of them said or agreed with "Supergirl of these 3 might have been my favorite"

Jesus, never wanted to unsubscribe from a channel so quickly.
I like the movie crew but damn I won't be listening to the tv crew's opinions anymore.

Joni

18838976_1417798144972115_8078669428723946245_n.jpg

ShadyK54

Watching the Collider TV talk and they were reviewing the DC shows,
Seriously 2 or 3 of them said or agreed with "Supergirl of these 3 might have been my favorite"

Jesus, never wanted to unsubscribe from a channel so quickly.
I like the movie crew but damn I won't be listening to the tv crew's opinions anymore.

"Let's talk about the last 10 minutes of each, because that's kinda what really mattered."

I think it can be agreed there was a lot that mattered throughout the episode. It's a good way for an opinion not to matter to me, at least lol.

Edit: finished this particular section of the video, and they liked Arrow's finale, which is cool and all. Still have a problem with the discussions being led off with "only the ending mattered" though.

Joni

Going back the distance, I remember all those posts from the old Arrow threads saying how much better strike back is when it comes to action.

Three seasons in and I still have to see more than a minute of melee combat. Amazing show though. Two main dudes could be villain material.

So I just finished this today. Wasn't able to watch any of it live so I watched it on Netflix.

Definitely a big improvement over the last two seasons. Happy to see they've finally taken the hint that nobody wants to see a dozen episodes of character brooding or stringing out secrets. Action improvement as well, though some of the choreography was uneven in the middle of the season. I appreciate that they took a chance on tackling Gun Control messaging. Was a bit heavy handed at points but not bad. Absolutely packed season and that makes it a bit difficult to place for me. Lots of threads left loose before we even get to the cliffhanger finale. Ragman, Rene's parental rights, Speedy's issues (whatever those are about), Dredd/Punisher hybrid guy, and Helix off the top of my head. Loved Prometheus actor but hated how far they took the omniscient angle. Reminiscent of Zemo and worked out just as well as Zemo until they had him kill his wife (seemed out of character) and kidnap Oliver's Son (a bridge too far in terms of "knowing everything about Oliver"). I feel like they went that direction because they didn't want to damsel Thea or Felicity, which I understand and agree with, but it's a double blind in that his existence at all was a huge secret in addition to his location being a secret. Without an explicit plot point to explain how he found him it's problematic for me.

It's interesting that both Arrow and Flash went with omniscient enemies this season. Flash's premise allows for a logical handwave for it while Arrow's requires the viewers to have an implicit trust that Prometheus could so incredibly replicate not only Oliver's state of mind but his skillset as well. In the end, I enjoyed Flash more overall due to the handling of the themes and despite some of the clunkier plot choices. Arrow took on heavier themes all around and did quite well with them for the most part. It seems like the goal was to finally have Oliver reconcile with his choices, which is fine and works for the most part but I don't feel was actually a necessary direction (as was a bit of a retread of Oliver's self doubt). So while the season was good and plenty happened.. it doesn't feel like much growth with the characters.

Good season overall. Definite positive course correction with the writing and handling of the characters, themes, and action. But not my favorite of the Berlanti super-hero shows this past season. Flash > Arrow > Legends is how I'd rank it personally.

ZeroX03

Banned
Good season overall. Definite positive course correction with the writing and handling of the characters, themes, and action. But not my favorite of the Berlanti super-hero shows this past season. Flash > Arrow > Legends is how I'd rank it personally.

Okay, we definitely need an intervention for that drinking problem. We're all here for you.

strafer

Watched When A Stranger Calls remake last night and totally forgot that Laurel was in it.

7jz6Lrl.jpg

She's been in a lot of Horror remakes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watched When A Stranger Calls remake last night and totally forgot that Laurel was in it.

7jz6Lrl.jpg

She's been in a lot of Horror remakes.

I just saw her and Elizabeth Henstridge (Simmons, Agents of SHIELD) play sisters in a horror movie about the Manson family a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely dreadful.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I saw pics of that, I really wanna see it.

The first 10 minutes or so were actually pretty good. It didn't really do much beyond that, for me. I remember it being super short even for a horror movie, like a little over an hour. So it won't take up too much of your night.

strafer

Well I just saw that movie with Gemma and Laurel, it wasn't the worst horror movie I've ever seen, a nice little movie to do between breaks I suppose. Nice to see it be set in a time with no smartphones so they cant just call for help.

I gasped when I saw Katie being pregnant because I can't deal with pregnant women being killed even in horror movies, and I wonder if she was preggers for real.

So weird seeing Gemma (without an accent) and Laurel out of their element, I was waiting for Katie to use her Canary Cry and smoke those bastard.

Weird catching things in the re-runs. Tonight was a replay of the Ragman episode. Wild Dog made a comment about "If you think I'm just going to sit back and watch a little girl get hurt, I guess you don't know me." Takes on more meaning knowing his backstory.

Joni

Helix will be back next year but still has more of a Felicity story according to spoilers. I personally hope they also get the team on there

Finally caught up after dropping it around episode 10 (too many other shows to watch at the time). Holy shit that season was fantastic. Can't believe the turnaround the show did. The finale felt like it could have been a series finale as well (apart from the ending). Good stuff.

Hopefully they keep it up next season and the Flash can make a turnaround as well.

nynt9

Just binged through this on Netflix. Wow, this was an incredible season. At first I was apprehensive, but Adrian Chase turned the season around. Everything came full circle in such a satisfying way. I don't know if they can top this season. It has the extra benefit of bookending 5 seasons of flashbacks as well. Honestly, after seasons 3 and 4, which I liked but more as a guilty pleasure, I didn't think this show had it in it, but they proved me way wrong. Also loved the mannerisms of the actor they chose for Chase too. Everything was just great.

ZeroX03

Banned
Based God Guggenheim was on the Superhero Insider show. Nothing really interesting, he teased that just because people may have series regular status doesn't mean they'll return next year (or that there's a grey area between alive and dead: Felicity back in that wheelchair!). He also said they tossed up Black Siren being on Oliver's side for the island, but it didn't track for her character who's been strictly villainous so far. Derek Sampson (Stardust) seems likely to come back. They cheered in the writer's room when the flashback writing finished lol.

And the hosts of the show sucked his dick over the Felicity bottle episode, which seemed to even surprise Guggenheim because it wasn't a particularly fantastic episode and was conceived basically as a low budget episode that also cleared all the Olicity drama. The idea is for those two to talk like adults from here on out, which is best case scenario for however long it lasts.

Grizzlyjin

I really liked that bottle episode too...

*puts lollipop away* 🍭

ZeroX03

Banned
It was fine, but they called it the best episode of television for the year or some nonsense.

They're going to do more topical/issue stuff too, not necessarily guns but something along those lines.

Grizzlyjin

It was fine, but they called it the best episode of television for the year or some nonsense.

They're going to do more topical/issue stuff too, not necessarily guns but something along those lines.

Hahaha alright, that's a bit much.

ReiGun

Been catching up on this. This latest season has been a definite improvement over the last two.

One thing that's gotten really annoying is that they constantly turn Curtis into a punchline. I'm fine with him not being a great fighter - especially since it served as a reason for him to create the T-spheres - but not down with the other characters constantly belittling him. It's crossed the line from being humorous to just mean-spirited and obnoxious.

ZeroX03

Banned
Get speculating on that villain via TVLine.

Or any news on Arrow Season 6 in general?
I choose Column B, so that I can tease that the next, yet-to-be-cast Big Bad has been on many a fan’s wish list.

Yet to be cast huh? I'm not sure who that leaves. Vigilante could wiggle in there even though he's apparently somebody we know. There's not many GA villains left, Onomatopoeia is probably the only notable one. Could be a Batman/JL character. Most likely just Cayden James, if you want to talk Olicity fan wish lists.

Also the whole gang is there for Comic Con. Still no word on whether Manu is back for the premiere, but short of killing him he kind of has to be?

With the future of the team left hanging in the balance, Arrow gave new definition to the phrase “blowing up the show.” The emotional showdown between Oliver Queen and Adrian Chase was the perfect conclusion to a stellar fifth season of The CW’s gritty DC Super Hero series. Now, the focus shifts to uncovering the fate of each and every member of Team Arrow. Could anyone have possibly survived an island-wide explosion, or has the book closed on them, as it has on Oliver’s five-year flashback story? Returning to San Diego Comic-Con for a sixth consecutive year, cast members Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Emily Bett Rickards, Paul Blackthorne, Katie Cassidy, Echo Kellum, Juliana Harkavy, Rick Gonzalez and producers will be on-hand for an eye-opening conversation about the upcoming season.

CHESTHAIR STILL KICKING

Joni

They could have filmed the aftermath already together with the finale, so they don't need him back.
As for the villain, it might be good news if they focus on Vigilante and James before bringing in the villain in the second half of the season.

ZeroX03

Banned
They could have filmed the aftermath already together with the finale, so they don't need him back.
As for the villain, it might be good news if they focus on Vigilante and James before bringing in the villain in the second half of the season.

Doubt they had time. He only had a day and a half worth of filming and they had to composite a few shots with him.

Manu just arrived back in NZ from vacation/Cons and Shannara is no longer filming so good chance he's free.

Joni

Doubt they had time. He only had a day and a half worth of filming and they had to composite a few shots with him.

Manu just arrived back in NZ from vacation/Cons and Shannara is no longer filming so good chance he's free.

Oh, pray to Cyborg Superman that it is possible.

Top Bottom