• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Yeah, and it is strange because there is another character that seems way too good for these fights: Diggle.

Diggle being able to wreck everybody aside from A-level people is fine. He's been training with Oliver for three years already. And he already started from competent level before he even met Olie.

Chariot

Yeah, and it is strange because there is another character that seems way too good for these fights: Diggle.
You mean the ex-elite soldier that worked for years with the Arrow? I give him the benefit of the doubt :p

Felicity bopped one on the head.
To be fair he was shot by Diggle shortly before, the scene was just silly, but not nonsensical.

I don't think she actually did take out anybody from the league. Time after time she gets bodied and somebody has to bail her out. She's just being able to hold out longer and longer
Still way too well for her enemies. You know, the league could have actually explicit goons. Instead R'as is all like: "Here Olli, all these jobbers that can't even in a group kill a lawyer that trained boxing for a month could belong to you! Take them all, I don't want them anymore."

Oregano

Considering what we know of Sara Lance and Malcolm Merlyn the LOA definitely isn't full of people who have trained all their lives.

Considering what we know of Sara Lance and Malcolm Merlyn the LOA definitely isn't full of people who have trained all their lives.

Definitely worth noting, yeah. It seems most of the League is comprised of people who in join part way through their lives, trading their servitude for a chance to escape their past. People like Nyssa and Ra's are the exception.

Chariot

Ironically those two seem to be one of the league's strongest. What is R'as even doing with these guys.

And this brings me back to another question. How did Merlyn get into the League's headquarters in the first place? Nobody seemed to know, he just wandered right in the mainhall where Nyssa was training. Did he get every single guard with the coin trick? How did he find the "secret" lair of the assassins anyways?
Don't forget Maseo.
He is an ex Argus agent, I assume that would be at least some base ability.

Blue Lou

“[Season 4] will take a lighter tone. That’s pretty much the only thing I say without spoiling it. We’ve been working for about a month now in the writer’s room, talking about season 4, and I think that one thing we all collectively understood was season 3 beginning with Sara’s death, because it’s the death of a major character in the show, it set the tone for the remainder of the season. And I’m not the least bit apologetic for that tone. I happen to like dark and I like the fact that Arrow is a pretty dark show particularly for a network show. That said, every year you want to mix things up and there was sort of a collective desire on all our parts to try to inject a little bit more lightness into the show, a little but more humor. It’s not going to radically change. The show’s still going to be the show but in terms of tone, we’re coming off a very, very hard season for all of our character. We wanted to try to mix it up a little bit.”

I also liked the dark tone. Arrow was at its best with the darkness. The scene with his mother and Deathstroke in season 2 was such a shock.

Chariot

I also liked the dark tone. Arrow was at its best with the darkness. The scene with his mother and Deathstroke in season 2 was such a shock.
I always thought that Arrow can't drama and darkness well. Especially after seeing Daredevil that was actually a masterful crafted dark vigilante hero series.
Remember what Ra's said. Their job isn't to kill for him, but to die for him :D
I stand corrected then, the League is certainly good in that regard. :D

Oregano

Don't forget Maseo.

Sarah and Maseo each spent no more than 5 years in the League. Actually, Sarah could only have been a member for 4.

I was gonna mention Maseo but he was already kinda badass.

Ironically those two seem to be one of the league's strongest. What is R'as even doing with these guys.

And this brings me back to another question. How did Merlyn get into the League's headquarters in the first place? Nobody seemed to know, he just wandered right in the mainhall where Nyssa was training. Did he get every single guard with the coin trick? How did he find the "secret" lair of the assassins anyways?He is an ex Argus agent, I assume that would be at least some base ability.

Maybe Assassins take bribes?

Chariot

Maybe Assassins take bribes?
Wouldn't reflect good on the loyality R'as so prasies xD

Paid for it? Ra's said that people who wish to have audience with him offer treasures and wealth and Malcolm sure could afford it.
Oh, yeah, that could certainly be. But I still hold my headcanon dear where he crawls to the palace doing the coin magic trick on every soldier and every single one is super impressed.

Basically like this:

jkRIYbW.gif

Oregano

Wouldn't reflect good on the loyality R'as so prasies xD

Oh, yeah, that could certainly be. But I still hold my headcanon dear where he crawls to the palace doing the coin magic trick on every soldier and every single one is super impressed.

Basically like this:

jkRIYbW.gif

Well Nyssa, Sara, Merlyn, Maseo and Oliver all betrayed him at some point. At least that DJ was loyal!

Joni

Diggle being able to wreck everybody aside from A-level people is fine. He's been training with Oliver for three years already. And he already started from competent level before he even met Olie.

You mean the ex-elite soldier that worked for years with the Arrow? I give him the benefit of the doubt .

I mean the normal soldier who we haven't seen train for years, who stays inside mostly nowadays. That guy is clearing out LoA members without problems. He shouldn't be able to do as well either.

Wiktor

I mean the normal soldier who we haven't seen train for years, who stays inside mostly nowadays. That guy is clearing out LoA members without problems. He shouldn't be able to do as well either.
Using this logic neither should Oliver or Malcolm. Diggle was special forces, has been trained for years by Oliver himselft and he mostly uses firearms to clean those league members. And League is organization that looks like it has at least hundreds, maybe even thousands members. There's no way majority of them will be some sort of martial arts geniuses.

It's an inconsistency that's bothersome. Diggle doesn't bother me because he still goes into the field with Oliver.

The LoA has a whole has been an inconsistent bunch since their intro in S2. We're introduced to them and Sara and Ollie barely manage to fight off three of them. 2 v 3, where the two are MAIN CHARACTERS who are supposed to be top tier fighters, and they barely hold their own. Now their basic goons. It's supposed to represent the increase in skill these characters have, but because there isn't a focus on training, it just feels like the League gets worse.

I think Laurel's rise to being a fighter is totally realistic given the world it takes place in, and I firmly believe people hate it so much because they don't want her character redeemed. That's my two cents.

Wiktor

The LoA has a whole has been an inconsistent bunch since their intro in S2. We're introduced to them and Sara and Ollie barely manage to fight off three of them. 2 v 3, where the two are MAIN CHARACTERS who are supposed to be top tier fighters, and they barely hold their own. Now their basic goo
I think the reason why Sara and Olie had trouble in S2 was because there was one AAA level dude in the squad there. The regular leaguer still got taken out by Lance.
It doesn't make any sense to assume everybody in league posseses the same level of competence. And it's logical that the closer you get to home turf for League the weaker the average warrior will be. As when escapeing Nanda Parbat or assaulting it they just fought whoever was in place. When leaguers came into Starling they obviously were chosen for the job, so they likely picked the more talented/experienced folk.

Chariot

I think the reason why Sara and Olie had trouble in S2 was because there was one AAA level dude in the squad there. The regular leaguer still got taken out by Lance.
It doesn't make any sense to assume everybody in league posseses the same level of competence. And it's logical that the closer you get to home turf for League the weaker the average warrior will be. As when escapeing Nanda Parbat or assaulting it they just fought whoever was in place. When leaguers came into Starling they obviously were chosen for the job, so they likely picked the more talented/experienced folk.
There are things like guards. The servants of the United States don't get less effective the closer you get to Washington and the President or the Generals. I think.

Cronox

Banned
Ok guys I'm just popping in this thread to ask a question, and trying to avoid reading anything - If I'm looking to watch Arrow season 3 and Flash season 1, should I watch them each by themselves, go back and forth between series from episode to episode like this list says, or watch a certain number of episodes of each show at a time. Do the shows share the same chronology? Are there just specific cross-over episodes - say if episode 8 was a crossover, should I watch both series (separately) up to episode 7 before continuing?

Ok you guys get the idea. Also, should I kinda skim through Arrow season 3? I liked season 1/2 but haven't heard great things about this season... Opinions welcome.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ok guys I'm just popping in this thread to ask a question, and trying to avoid reading anything - If I'm looking to watch Arrow season 3 and Flash season 1, should I watch them each by themselves, go back and forth between series from episode to episode like this list says, or watch a certain number of episodes of each show at a time. Do the shows share the same chronology? Are there just specific cross-over episodes - say if episode 8 was a crossover, should I watch both series (separately) up to episode 7 before continuing?

Ok you guys get the idea. Also, should I kinda skim through Arrow season 3? I liked season 1/2 but haven't heard great things about this season... Opinions welcome.

Follow that list. Or go by air date order. Alternating the episodes is the better way to do it for the minor crossovers. The Flash was a little out of sync with Arrow in airing but it's not a huge issue. Yes you should watch Arrow S3.

ReiGun

I've said it before, but the League became the Putty Patrol in S3. Any complaints about Dig or Laurel being able to fight them should have evporated the moment Felicity Smoak, a woman with no combat training who is barely strong enough to do a pull up, took one out with a stick.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've said it before, but the League became the Putty Patrol in S3. Any complaints about Dig or Laurel being able to fight them should have evporated the moment Felicity Smoak, a woman with no combat training who is barely strong enough to do a pull up, took one out with a stick.

Which episode is that? You're not talking about the guy that Diggle shot first or Merlyn put an arrow through right?

Wiktor

There are things like guards. The servants of the United States don't get less effective the closer you get to Washington and the President or the Generals. I think.

You really think average Secret Service agent is as good in combat as somebody from..let's say Delta Force? Especially after laster year, when a dude with pokemon hat ran straight into White House? :)

Chariot

You really think average Secret Service agent is as good in combat as somebody from..let's say Delta Force? Especially after laster year, when a dude with pokemon hat ran straight into White House? :)
The guy didn't get far and I am sure the Secret Service is nit made out of the jobbers and reject of the army. Or at least I hope to for King Obama.

JustinBB7

Diggle shot him, the stick didn't matter. It was a joke like the time she threw a laptop at a guy but Meryl killed him instead.

Joni

Ok guys I'm just popping in this thread to ask a question, and trying to avoid reading anything - If I'm looking to watch Arrow season 3 and Flash season 1, should I watch them each by themselves, go back and forth between series from episode to episode like this list says, or watch a certain number of episodes of each show at a time. Do the shows share the same chronology? Are there just specific cross-over episodes - say if episode 8 was a crossover, should I watch both series (separately) up to episode 7 before continuing
The list seems fine outside of the last entry, The Flash finale is set after the Arrow finale. You could watch them in batches of 7 episodes though, that should match up kinda okay with the cross-overs.

Ignore the complaints, just watch and enjoy. The show was still good.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah watch The Flash finale AFTER Arrow. The timeline gets a little fuzzy in the last few episodes, but Flash is the more bombastic fun one to end on.

Plus: you'll believe a man can cry. You. You're that man who'll cry.

Wiktor

Yeah watch The Flash finale AFTER Arrow. The timeline gets a little fuzzy in the last few episodes, but Flash is the more bombastic fun one to end on.

Am I a bad man for tearing up more in Arrow's 22 episode than Flash's finale? :)

HabeeNo

I second all of this. Grant Gustin was flawless on the finale.

Cronox

Banned
Follow that list. Or go by air date order. Alternating the episodes is the better way to do it for the minor crossovers. The Flash was a little out of sync with Arrow in airing but it's not a huge issue. Yes you should watch Arrow S3.

The list seems fine outside of the last entry, The Flash finale is set after the Arrow finale. You could watch them in batches of 7 episodes though, that should match up kinda okay with the cross-overs.

Ignore the complaints, just watch and enjoy. The show was still good.

Thanks guys. Hard to ignore the complaints when everyone was ranking Arrow S3 as the worst in that one "rate current superhero TV shows" thread from a day ago, but I'll make it work. Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, so I'm looking forward to getting started on Arrow/Flash.

Joni

Thanks guys. Hard to ignore the complaints when everyone was ranking Arrow S3 as the worst in that one "rate current superhero TV shows" thread from a day ago, but I'll make it work. Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, so I'm looking forward to getting started on Arrow/Flash.

Everything on the internet is always the best thing ever or the worst thing.

This post couldn't be more wrong.

Search your feelings.

Betas are inherently inferior men. Alphas are overly-exaggerated men.

Men like Tommy and Eddie... they are good men. Eddie proved that he was actually the superior man at the end of Season 1's Flash, while Tommy proved that he was actually the only hero in Starling when the Undertaking happened. His death catalyzes Oliver into becoming a hero who has to look beyond a notebook and someone else's mistakes.

Not at first. S1 was his Beta Man origin story
and his death story

The Rebirth is coming.

ZeroX03

Banned
Betas are inherently inferior men. Alphas are overly-exaggerated men.

Men like Tommy and Eddie... they are good men. Eddie proved that he was actually the superior man at the end of Season 1's Flash, while Tommy proved that he was actually the only hero in Starling when the Undertaking happened. His death catalyzes Oliver into becoming a hero who has to look beyond a notebook and someone else's mistakes.

Oh don't get me wrong, Tommy and Eddie are top tier bros. They're great men. But they're still betas. The women might stop by them for a relationship, but they always end up in bed with Oliver.

Wiktor

Eddie's not a beta though

He's totally a beta. He tried to escape it. Made valiant effort. But in the end he still ended up as beta. A sad tale that sometimes no matter how much you struggle you can't overcome your betaness.
Still better than Tommy though. Because Tommy had no excuse for being beta, when he had great alpha role models like Oliver and Barrowman.

Meanwhile Eddie didn't have such luck. The closest he got was Barry, but Barry is still half-beta. His mach-2 speed is enough to move away from it, but only inch at a time. If even scarlet speedster has such problems, what hope was there really for poor old Eddie?

He's totally a beta. He tried to escape it. Made valiant effort. But in the end he still ended up as beta. A sad tale that sometimes no matter how much you struggle you can't overcome your betaness.
Still better than Tommy though. Because Tommy had no excuse for being beta, when he had great alpha role models like Oliver and Barrowman.

Meanwhile Eddie didn't have such luck. The closest he got was Barry, but Barry is still half-beta. His mach-2 speed is enough to move away from it, but only inch at a time. If even scarlet speedster has such problems, what hope was there really for poor old Eddie?

Barry is still totally beta, though, too. No half measures.

The collision of their betaness has the potential to rip open the space-time continuum.

ZeroX03

Banned
Every woman in this universe is destined to want Oliver. There's no free will. He's the only alpha.

Look at the exceptions: Thea and Caitlin. Thea who has a thing for a guy who is Oliver-lite and Caitlin is dating a guy who looks suspiciously like him. Oh and Moira, who slept with Oliver's father and an archer. Everything revolves around Oliver's arrow.

Wiktor

Barry is still totally beta, though, too. No half measures.

The collision of their betaness has the potential to rip open the space-time continuum.

Yeah.. that's true; Afterall Flash could only keep it up for 1 minute and 52 seconds. Oliver would surely last longer ;)

Tuck

That dialogue between Laurel and her dad where she warned about the coming bioattack was ridiculous.

"Dad, a bioweapon is coming!"
"yes yes, Oliver told you that right?"
"Stop hiding the bottle in your desk!!11!"
Agreed.

Laurel and Thea were much improved over last season, although their turn into bad ass vigilantes stretched my suspension of disbelief

Well, Thea did have all that training with Malcolm in between season 2 and 3. And with Laurel they did show screwing up, a lot, and slowly get better. Overall i think both cases were handled decently, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom